Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also find the visit to the High Commissioner strange. Why would they effectively thank the Canadian government ( which is represented in the UK by the High Commissioner) for a private visit to Canada ? Or was the trip not so private after all and Canada paid for it or placed official residences at the ducal couple’s disposal ?

Does there really have to be a "secret" and "underlying motive" for everything this couple does? It very well could have been on the calendar for them before any break was ever announced.

Even if the couple are visiting because they spent their hiatus in Canada and wish to express their gratitude, that isn't so very weird to me either. Its like an official "thank you " note that a lot of us write after returning home from visiting. I'm just glad they're back and starting off 2020 working again. ?

I also find the visit to the High Commissioner strange. Why would they effectively thank the Canadian government ( which is represented in the UK by the High Commissioner) for a private visit to Canada ? Or was the trip not so private after all and Canada paid for it or placed official residences at the ducal couple’s disposal ?

It's called international relations [...]

It amazes me that, in the year 2020, people still believe that Prince Harry and Meghan must be submissive to the royal family. That they must tow some made up royal line. Two adults, both in their late 30s, trying to build their own road and future, as well as their family, to do greater good. Two people who have the means to do so much to help raise awareness of serious issues as well as promote the Commonwealth. If you read the press release you'd see they are visiting an exhibition, which is their major reason for being there.

It also amazes me that so many believe they are rogue and do not have the endorsement of the Queen and government officials to make this visit to Canada House.

I shake my head.

Edit
Does there really have to be a "secret" and "underlying motive" for everything this couple does? It very well could have been on the calendar for them before any break was ever announced.

Even if the couple are visiting because they spent their hiatus in Canada and wish to express their gratitude, that isn't so very weird to me either. Its like an official "thank you " note that a lot of us write after returning home from visiting. I'm just glad they're back and starting off 2020 working again. ?
This!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an official visit to a High Commission, they certainly have the government's agreement that they visit and part of that will be for official good will between countries especially in this time of Brexit etc as well as private gratitude - if it was just that then they'd have received a private visit or a lovely handwritten calligraphed note. It's possible the government were the ones that requested they go or Canada House invited them and it was considered good timing for everyone. It doesn't have to mean they've been living off the Canadian tax payer for weeks or they're just doing whatever the hell they want.

It's probably supposed to be considered a non controversial no brainer to get 2020 off to a positive start for them professionally.

Agreed. Not sure why people are bothered by this. It is actually a nice way to resume their work. Looking forward to the engagement.

Because some people seem to be ignoring the engagement at the exhibition and making it all about the thank you for the hospitality of the Canadian people during their off time in Canada.

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to seeing another one of my favorite royal couples officially back at work.

It's an official visit to a High Commission, they certainly have the government's agreement that they visit and part of that will be for official good will between countries especially in this time of Brexit etc as well as private gratitude - if it was just that then they'd have received a private visit or a lovely handwritten calligraphed note. It's possible the government were the ones that requested they go or Canada House invited them and it was considered good timing for everyone.

There is nothing to suggest that this trip to Canada House is at the behest of the government. This is usually made very clear when, for example, overseas trips are made by members of the BRF at the request of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

It's probably supposed to be considered a non controversial no brainer to get 2020 off to a positive start for them professionally.

Perhaps it is the inexperience and incompetence of the Sussex team at BP that is leading to announcements of this nature and engagements of this type. IMO, Meghan may be new to royal life, but Harry really ought to know better.

It amazes me that, in the year 2020, people still believe that Prince Harry and Meghan must be submissive to the royal family. That they must tow some made up royal line.

I have to disagree with you on this. As supporting members of the BRF, Harry and Meghan do indeed have to tow the royal line, and fit in with the framework of "the Firm".

I am not necessarily suggesting they are not in this instance, but just making the point that they are part and parcel of "The Firm", and cannot "go rogue".

Perhaps it is the inexperience and incompetence of the Sussex team at BP that is leading to announcements of this nature and engagements of this type. IMO, Meghan may be new to royal life, but Harry really ought to know better.

So what is wrong with the announcement? Seems perfectly clear to me. They are visiting Canada House, and exhibition there and also thanking the Canadian people for their hospitality.

People are choosing to make a fuss over this.

I have to disagree with you on this. As supporting members of the BRF, Harry and Meghan do indeed have to tow the royal line, and fit in with the framework of "the Firm".

I am not necessarily suggesting they are not in this instance, but just making the point that they are part and parcel of "The Firm", and cannot "go rogue".

Turns out that Canada has finally got round to appointing a Secretary to the Crown as they are apparently think a royal tour is coming this year

So what is wrong with the announcement? Seems perfectly clear to me. They are visiting Canada House, and exhibition there and also thanking the Canadian people for their hospitality.

As I just reported the Canadian government are now busy replacing missing court officials to the Crown as they are expecting a visit this year .

Pretty much. Not that it wasn't very predictable. Literally their first engagement and this is the reaction? Going to be a long year if this causes people to have a freak out. Sheesh.

I agree. Why would people officialy thank the whole nation of their holiday destination? William and Catherine don't thank St. Barths' officials after vacations ?
It's almost like H&M saying "see we had to leave mean UK, and Canada is better 'coz they support us and are nice to us".
They should have skip the part about thanking for support and hospitality. Just simply go...

There is zero evidence that the Canadian government paid a dime towards the Sussex private visit to Canada, please cite the source for your innuendo, otherwise it reeks of setting up a strawman argument to enable unjustified criticism of the couple.

Pretty much. Not that it wasn't very predictable. Literally their first engagement and this is the reaction? Going to be a long year if this causes people to have a freak out. Sheesh.

It appears no matter what the Sussexes do people are going to cast a negative spin on it - IMO there is nothing sinister or controversial about their first official engagement of 2020, nor is there a shred of evidence that this visit wasn’t at the behest of Harry’s grandmother, thus the claim that their BP team is ‘inexperience[d] and incompeten[t],’ is based on facts not in evidence, therefore Harry deserves no criticism and Meghan no excuse, since neither they or their team have done anything wrong except in the overactive imaginations of their naysayers.

The Duke and Duchess are arriving at Canada House from The Hub, the Grenfell Community Kitchen project, that Meghan collaborated with for the cookbook.

The visit was private.

The have arrived at Canada House:
As has been discussed on this thread, there are rumours that a tour to Canada will be announced during the visit.

Last edited:
@chrisshipitv It’s possible the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will announce a tour to Canada while they are at @CanadianUK TV is afternoon. Can’t say for sure.
So we await confirmation...

Interesting. Many speculated.

I agree. Why would people officialy thank the whole nation of their holiday destination? William and Catherine don't thank St. Barths' officials after vacations ?
It's almost like H&M saying "see we had to leave mean UK, and Canada is better 'coz they support us and are nice to us".
They should have skip the part about thanking for support and hospitality. Just simply go...

I do think the word" support" is , again, maybe a BIT much, somewhat implying the couple was in some kind of distress emotionally in the UK...
But time to start over with open mind, heart and arms and let's see what the Sussexes have in store.
A Canada tour will be more than welcome ....

I do think the word" support" is , again, maybe a BIT much, somewhat implying the couple was in some kind of distress emotionally in the UK...
But time to start over with open mind, heart and arms and let's see what the Sussexes have in store.
A Canada tour will be more than welcome ....
The word “support” has many meanings depending in part on whether it’s used as a transitive verb or a noun, I think it a bridge too far to impute an emotional state to such a general word.

It sounds like the Sussexes were quite busy today, they had meetings at BP, a visit to the Hubb and then the Canada house engagement. They are hitting the ground running in 2020.

I find it interesting that the Duchess of Sussex sought refuge from her emotional distress in Canada rather than her native country (the USA). It makes sense in a way since she would not have any privacy if she stayed with Doria in LA for example.

I know it is not possible, but it is really unfortunate that Harry cannot stay permanently in Canada as Governor General .

They are hitting the ground running in 2020.

'As well they might'.. they have much ground to make up [with the British Public]

I find it interesting that the Duchess of Sussex sought refuge from her emotional distress in Canada rather than her native country (the USA). It makes sense in a way since she would not have any privacy if she stayed with Doria in LA for example.

I know it is not possible, but it is really unfortunate that Harry cannot stay permanently in Canada as Governor General .

Canada was also her home for 7 years. It is hardly surprising she went to a place with less media fanfare and plenty of relaxation where she felt comfortable. California is her home state but she has not lived there in many, many years.

It was good to see Meghan and Harry back on board today, looking relaxed, engaged and happy. Greeted warmly as well, judging by the photos. Interesting that they had a busy first day back, the start of many I hope.

Quite the crowd on hand to see them despite the weather and short notice.

LaRae

Nice to see them visiting Canada House today and hearing about the private visit to the Hub.

'As well they might'.. they have much ground to make up [with the British Public]

It didn't look like they had to make up much ground with the "British Public" considering the number of people that showed up to see them with only a day's notice of the engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom