Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two more photos from the rugby match - ilovethebritishroyals

Picture: Kate & William departing for Brisbane #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/SjGZl5nDGv
This was Kate meeting Max, who was perfectly healthy until struck with bacterial meningitis 6 weeks ago. pic.twitter.com/LxC0sRIo2O
Max's mum and dad Amy and Rob were AMAZING! Such strength in face of their baby boy dying. pic.twitter.com/45fD2ClxbY

The story about Max broke my heart. I'm glad Kate and William made visits to Rainbow Place and Bear Cottage. Hospice care is such a worthy cause and I hope it gets more attention.

I'm not sure if these articles have already been posted.

Kate Middleton's in charge as she takes over cockpit controls from William | Royal | News | Daily Express

Kate and William choke back the tears on visit to Bear Cottage hospice | Royal | News | Daily Express

Kate and William effect causes 110% surge in Australia holiday searches during Royal Tour | Mail Online

President Obama paid a visit to Belgium a few weeks ago. Total cost for the Belgian tax payer for 1 DAY + 1 night : 500.000 euros. Nothing against President Obama, on the contrary, but his visit was hardly covered in the media, even in the US. Nobody is going to visit my country and increase tourism income because Obama was here. For the world-wide media attention W&C's tour of NZ and Australia is getting (it's on the news here every night) they are a bargain.

I know this is off topic and it will be my only post about this but personally, if I knew Obama was coming to town, I'd leave! Thanks to him and having to shut down airports a friend and I almost missed our flight to London a couple of years ago.

Hello, Sun Lion. ��. I, too, am on the sofa with pain med and appreciating distraction of this lovely young couple, Baby George and the charming people of NZ and Australia. On Sat afternoon, my son's cocker spaniel decided to take me for a run and I wound up with an awful fall, 2 broken bones and 26 stitches in my nose. Bruised ribs and scrapes, etc. Thank you to Sun Lion and others who have provided "coverage" of this tour. I enjoyed seeing NZ and Australia. Much beauty. Reminded me if San Diego where we lived for many years. Really loved Baby George's clothes. The Duchess' white dress was my favorite of her choices so far. I had a pair of those sandal wedges many years ago. They were sooo comfortable. But seemed iffy to me in elevated places. No shoes at the Beach would be my call. But to each his own. Definitely would prefer to support Royalty than to support politicians, who think they are royalty.

Poor Catherine looks beat in some of those photos, but the one with her head on Will's shoulder is very, very sweet.

Yes, William wanted to go home and lounge about on the sofa, but Kate was all, "Oh no, Wills, I want to go see the footy." ;)

Another thought concerning the costs: This is not a 3-day-state-visit (which let alone is not cheap), but a tour of more than 2 weeks. I guess the greatest amount of the costs are security. If a republican politician, a president would do a tour like this, it wouldn´t cost less, of course.
The reason why republican representatives would never do a tour of this length is because nobody would care. I mean, who´d be interested in a man in a grey suit, forgotten within a couple of years, opening a clinic or somethin´?!
You can believe me that I´d LOVE to give my tax money to a royal family rather than a republican state and I envy everyone who does!
It absolutely fascinates me that the magic from top members of the british royal family still works 1000s of miles from the "mothercountry" with almost everyone attending having a good time together!

And you took the words right out of my mind with your comment............I agree with very word of your comment. When our own politicians go out and try to sell their brand of crap to the people, it's forgotten in days, the only people that keep it alive is the media who has nothing better to do then report the same of stuff again and again for something to do and to put in the news. Guess I am being very critical of my government and the media and I have darn good reasons to be so.........wish my government listened to the people!

Two things...

On seeing that picture made by the prints of fingers and feet of everyone at Bear Cottage and Kate's reaction to it, anyone else think that's going to be taking pride of place somewhere special at KP? It really is so charming and full of joy, it just shines from the frame.

And...

Has anyone found the full video of Kate's speech? I'd like to show it to Mom and Dad, so they can see just how very far she has come since that first very nervous speech at EACH a couple of years ago.

You know, it just came to me...Anyone else notice Kate's big firsts in speeches have all come linked to the Children's Hospice Movement? First ever was at EACH, first Foreign one at Hospice Malaysia and now the second one, but first in NZ/Australia, is at Bear Cottage. I think it shows just how much she believes in the importance of Children's Hospices and their work, that she's chosen to give what are pretty important milestones in her growth as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, at these Hospices. Also because of the one at EACH being the first and these last two done while on tour, she and her team knows just how widely they'll be covered and in turn, more spotlight on Children's Hospices.

Of course, all that very well could be nothing but Poppycock on my part, but it was something that crossed my mind. :)

Loved the pics of her in the cockpit of that Hornet. Looked like Kate was very much having a ball beating Will to the Pilot's seat. :D. Also they did look beat at the Rugby match, but no wonder considering their schedule and how emotional the last two days have been. I can't imagine how hard it was to meet all that Bear Cottage helps one day and then meeting the Australian Families who have lost someone in Afghanistan/Iraq the next and not have a day inbetween the two in order to recharge. I'm glad they were able to go and do something where they were just there to enjoy the game like everyone else.

Count me as another one who loved that picture of Kate resting her head on Will's shoulder. That says it all, doesn't it? :)

I, too, am on the sofa with pain med and appreciating distraction of this lovely young couple, Baby George and the charming people of NZ and Australia. On Sat afternoon, my son's cocker spaniel decided to take me for a run and I wound up with an awful fall, 2 broken bones and 26 stitches in my nose. Bruised ribs and scrapes, etc. Thank you to Sun Lion and others who have provided "coverage" of this tour. I enjoyed seeing NZ and Australia. Much beauty. Reminded me if San Diego where we lived for many years. Really loved Baby George's clothes. The Duchess' white dress was my favorite of her choices so far. I had a pair of those sandal wedges many years ago. They were sooo comfortable. But seemed iffy to me in elevated places. No shoes at the Beach would be my call. But to each his own. Definitely would prefer to support Royalty than to support politicians, who think they are royalty.[/Quote

Hope your feeling better MB, dogs can walk us instead of us walking them, as my new dog now does. One part of your comment sure made me take notice: The last sentence............I also would rather support Royalty than the crooked politicians that we have in congress, yet stupid Americans keep voting for them over and over again and no way to get rid of them, sad! Wish I could move to England.....given the chance, be there tonight!

Itinerary:
Sunday 20th April
Sydney

10.27am St Andrew's Cathedral

1.55pm Taronga Zoo {George}
Royal Kate Debate

Thanks for all the articles everyone (especially Sun Lion, who I hope is recovering).

The picture of Catherine in the cockpit of the Super Horner has me wondering how she got in there in that dress and those heels. Maybe she should have worn her skinny jeans and flats today.

Kate only has eyes for George at tea party at Admiralty House | Mail Online

Thank you US Royal Watcher - already a week - so looking forward to it all being behind me.

The Duchess got in, and out again, of that cockpit with such agility - I was a bit gob-smacked actually.

Can't think she'd had any rehearal for it.

Apparently the Duke wanted her to get in behind him, but she made him move into the back seat so she could have the front one.

She handed her little blue clutch - which is said to be ''Oroton'', a very-long time Australian brand - to the air-force lady with her, and suddenly one, two steps, she was in.

(Agility and good balance from all the exercise perhaps.)

She was in the front seat for at least as long as the Duke - if not longer.

No nerves about all eyes on her when it came time to get out again - did that just as easily.

Oh to be young, fit and active!

Hello, Sun Lion. ��. I, too, am on the sofa with pain med and appreciating distraction of this lovely young couple, Baby George and the charming people of NZ and Australia. On Sat afternoon, my son's cocker spaniel decided to take me for a run and I wound up with an awful fall, 2 broken bones and 26 stitches in my nose. Bruised ribs and scrapes, etc. Thank you to Sun Lion and others who have provided "coverage" of this tour. I enjoyed seeing NZ and Australia. Much beauty. Reminded me if San Diego where we lived for many years. Really loved Baby George's clothes. The Duchess' white dress was my favorite of her choices so far. I had a pair of those sandal wedges many years ago. They were sooo comfortable. But seemed iffy to me in elevated places. No shoes at the Beach would be my call. But to each his own. Definitely would prefer to support Royalty than to support politicians, who think they are royalty.

Oh MissByrd, doesn't it happen all so easily - one moment eveything is great, a moment later you're up the spout!

It's been a great distraction to have the Royal Tour on at this time.

Even if I'd been ok, the size of the crowds would have made me think twice about going to any events.

I would probably have joined the groups outside Admiralty House to see the Duke and Duchess drive in and out of the gate - I've seen a few shots of that. That would have been nice.

Let's hope PG gets his first visit to the zoo this afternoon - and with his hair swept up in his TinTin style :lol:.

Still some morning cloud about, but hopefully that will clear for a nice sunny blue day for the last Sydney engagement.

Best Wishes for a good recovery - and a speedy one.

The Taronga zoo's website cautions that large crowds are expected on Easter Sunday. Mmmm I wonder why ? :)

Kelly Harrison ‏@RoyalReview 22m
#Easter with the Cambridges: 10:30am church (8:30pm EST) followed by zoo at 2:30pm(12:30am EST) w/ The Prince of Cheeks #RoyalVisitAus

Church Hill Anglican ‏@churchhillsyd 6m
William and Catherine to sign our historic First Fleet Bible today #royalvisitaus

Last edited:
I miss hats; Diana loved her hats with dresses whilst on tour. But now this is Catherine's tour and she has chosen to rarely wear any.

The Queen's jewels; did not believe for one minute they would be leaving the vaults!

I think this tour was meant to be more casual than tours from years back. William and Catherine are meant to be seen as "like us" rather than above it all and untouchable. I never expected to see a hat for every outfit nor did I expect to see any of the Queen's jewels. There are no fancy, jewelry-wearing events scheduled on this trip at all and I think that's great.

Huge crowds waiting outside St Andrews Cathederal for a glimpse of the Duke and Duchess entering- they are due in approximately twenty minutes.

Sun out and sky getting blue.

The Cathederal bells are being rung.

Loudspeakers are broadcasting to those outside - the musicians and choir have just been practising.

The British media contingent were just seen elbowing each other out of the way, as they ran for the best vantage points.

Being reported that the Duke and Duchess requested the Service be private and not be broadcast.

The Prime Minister has just arrived.

They've arrived - the Duchess in pretty hat and coat - pale grey - with a small clutch. (Alexander McQueen coat and Jane Taylor hat.)

(No Wattle Brooch.)

Now indoors.

Max Foster of CNN in the studio helping to commentate.

Rob Jobson, outside the front of Taronga already, and holding a toy, but ''lively'', Bilby, says PG will be there this afternoon - and will only miss it, if he is ''grumpy''. (Please don't be grumpy George.)

Nanny will take PG off - if he attends - after the Bilby Enclosure event, and the Duke and Duchess will see a bit more of the zoo.

Rob said people started to queue at the zoo at 5.00am this morning - that's a nine hour wait before the Duke and Duchess arrive!

The morning news is broadcasting footage from last night's football match, and although the Duchess looks tired in some of the photos, something must have been done, or said, as the footage shows her laughing her head off.

Must be back at Admiralty House for Easter Sunday lunch - lots of helicopters again.

Last edited:
I just saw pics of Kate's outfit for church on her fashion thread. It's 10:38PM here in Ohio and I can't believe there have been no posts since 8:22PM. Nothing about the church service???????

Is George going to be with them at the zoo?

Last edited:
William & Kate's signatures on the First Fleet Bible (note other royals' signatures) via @RE_DailyMail #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/BaiQ8t4ygF
MT @RE_DailyMail Will & Kate also signed the 1788 First Fleet Book of Common Prayer #RoyalTour pic.twitter.com/FyuPbwcP5a pic.twitter.com/JpjteyMU4v
Book of Common Prayers signed by Queen,Philip, Charles, Diana, Will, Kate, George VI, Queen Mum etc via @gordonrayner pic.twitter.com/DaiXS2uaz7
Will and Kate have signed the historic Fleet Bible after an Easter church service this morning #RoyalVisitAus #9News pic.twitter.com/LnLjVH0u9R
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge look at the First Fleet Bible today #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/zbxblqgCDv
The spectacular view at Toronga Zoo Sydney where Wiliam, Kate and George will spend their Easter Sunday afternoon. pic.twitter.com/K3nqcCCG6d
The amphitheatre at Taronga Zoo and the magnificent view it offers, before William & Kate arrive #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/LUSgTkLOFd

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1m
Great excitement with the expectation of seeing Prince George at Taronga Zoo soon. Latest word: they're due to arrive 2:20pm #RoyalVisitAus

No choc Easter eggs for George at Admiralty House: Kate says he's not allowed any. Beautiful view of AH from harbour pic.twitter.com/4MPswx10O3

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor 34m
Rev. Moffatt, "He (William) seemed genuinely touched to see so many of their (Royal Family) signatures there.' #FirstFleetBible

Taronga Zoo ‏@tarongazoo 1m
Taronga Zoo is currently full and there will be no more admissions. Please check the website for updates. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:
ShuffsTheElephant ‏@_Shuffs_ 7m
WOW! There's so many people here at the zoo! Hello everybody! You all came to see us elephants, right? #PrinceGeorge #RoyalVisitAus

PA Royal Reporters ‏@PARoyal 6m
Taronga Zoo officials have decided to further honour Prince George by renaming one of the endangered Bilby marsupials after him.

Last edited:
Police helicopters have just returned to Admiralty House - must be getting ready for the ten minute car trip to Taronga zoo.

(Also looks to be TV helicopters.)

TV showing cars parked at Admiralty House - awaiting the Royal passengers.

Reports of people camping out overnight to get into the zoo.

Some guys dressed up as Buckingham Palace guards are marching around outside Taronga :lol:.

Live TV coverage hovering over the cars - waiting to see if PG gets in I guess.

If PG attends, there will be official photos of him with a bilby.

PG is getting in his car seat.

The Duchess was broadcast strapping Prince George in.

They're on their way.

(The Duchess wearing a light-coloured dress, the Duke with his shirt sleeves rolled up by the look of it.)

Almost there - I can see the police helicopters travel around the Harbour.

Arrived - footage inside the zoo. The Duchess in light yellow. PG in blue.

Last edited:
I envy them being at the Zoo this afternoon. It's in a beautiful spot and there are some wonderful exhibits there. I miss regularly seeing the red pandas now I no longer live in Sydney. And the meerkats. And the otters. I hope they get to see a good range of animals and that George enjoys it. They might concentrate on Australian native animals though. Time will tell.

Only 20 minutes to go. Very much looking forward to seeing photos of this engagement. BTW the giraffes have the best view in Sydney of the harbour and city!

My children went to see a dress rehearsal for the "bird display" on Wednesday. Apparantley it is an extra special royal performance!

Last edited:
Great commentary above, Sun Lion.
Best wishes for your recovery!
Also good wishes to MissByrd.

He didn't think too much of his new toy Bilby, did he!?! ROTFLOL!!! :D. :D

Can not wait to see all the pictures later on this morning. One thing for sure, William and Kate were not kidding when they've said George is a handful. W/out a doubt, he is a busy boy just from what we've seen.

Bet they can't wait for him to start walking. ;). :D

George just met his bilby namesake and seemed very impressed. Beautiful blue outfit!

George unveiled a plaque and statue and promptly threw away a soft toy bilby for Catherine to pick up! So cute!

Babies can be very funny and George certainly is indeed. He's a very active and happy baby. I can see William & Catherine running around Kensington Palace after George.

Prince George looking quite taken with the bilby with mum & dad via @AnashayC #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/qVVxkVgsja
During the unveiling of the bilby statue - Prince George wouldn't let go #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/z48hap5VYq

It was as if he knew that he had to unveil the plaque and statue.

William & Kate (George is done with his job after the bilby) feeding a kangaroo. #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/bmZPfJ7xc0

Last edited:
Great commentary above, Sun Lion.
Best wishes for your recovery!
Also good wishes to MissByrd.

No worries Valerie Rose.

Isn't that George something.

The professional photographers must be estatic with what they've been able to capture.

Back
Top Bottom