Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Pakistan - October 14-18, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Facebook they’re due to arrive into Pakistan at 9:30pm Monday 14th October. No engagements on Monday, they start on Tuesday meeting the President.

Thank you. I must have gotten my days mixed up.

Current time difference between UK and Pakistan is 5 hours.

Yes, but it’s only +3 for continental Europe (where victor1319 and I are).

How bad is the current situation in Pakistan where the Cambridges' itinerary is on lockdown?.

Well the FCO seems to have plenty of travel warning for brits going there:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:

the areas in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province formerly known as the Federally Administered Tribal Areas
the districts of Charsadda, Kohat, Tank, Bannu, Lakki, Dera Ismail Khan, Swat, Buner and Lower Dir in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
the city of Peshawar and districts south of the city, including travel on the Peshawar to Chitral road via the Lowari Pass
northern and western Balochistan Province
travel on the Karakoram Highway between Islamabad and Gilgit
the immediate vicinity of the Line of Control

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:
the Kalesh Valley, the Bamoboret Valley and Arandu District to the south and west of Chitral in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
the city of Quetta
areas of Sindh Province north of, and including, the city of Nawabshah

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Pakistan. There’s a high threat of terrorism, kidnap and sectarian violence throughout the country, including the major cities of Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore and Karachi. Foreigners, in particular westerners, may be directly targeted. On 11 May 2019, armed militants attacked the Pearl Continental Hotel in Gwadar, Balochistan. On 8 May 2019, a bomb exploded near a police vehicle outside Data Darbar shrine in central Lahore. You should be vigilant, try to avoid all crowds and public events including political gatherings and religious events throughout Pakistan, and take appropriate security precautions.

Densely populated and unsecured areas, such as markets, shopping malls, hotels, restaurants, airports, public transport, schools and educational institutions are potential focal points for attacks. You should be extra vigilant at all times in such areas and minimise your exposure to areas that pose a higher risk.

Not exactly a holiday

I've spent a lot of time in Pakistan. It has security issues, but they host world leaders including higher-level targets than William/Kate.

Caution is important, but they will be very well protected.

I am excited to see this beautiful country showcased as only a royal tour can.

Last edited:
I hope the trip goes well. Is Pakistan still such an insecure country?

Canadian government doesn't recommend non-essential travel to Pakistan for security reasons.

There are obviously areas of higher security risks then others, but still.

Kate and William thankfully have a good security team going with them. And all precautions are being taken for their safety. Including their flight. Not the same as a normal citizen who might consider travel there.

Last edited:
If there is a high concern for safety why announce the day and hour the Cambridges arrive in Pakistan in advance, as well as the transport?

Last edited:
According to Chris Ship “The security for this week’s visit to Pakistan, by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will be the highest of any royal tour since the Queen’s visit to Ireland.” So that’s saying something.

Also before the visit has even started #RoyalVisitPakistan is the third highest trend in Pakistan.

If there is a high concern for safety why announce the day and hour the Cambridges arrive in Pakistan in advance, as well as the transport?

The decision to release any information would have only been taken after consultations with the security apparatus.

According to Chris Ship “The security for this week’s visit to Pakistan, by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will be the highest of any royal tour since the Queen’s visit to Ireland.” So that’s saying something.

Also before the visit has even started #RoyalVisitPakistan is the third highest trend in Pakistan.

I am so excited too and looking forward for the tour to begin

Last edited:
I'm understanding that they are on their way now..and it's around an 8 hour flight.

LaRae

In some areas at least it seems so.

Typically when you see flights arranged to come in during night time it is for security reasons as well.

LaRae

Must be due to land in Islamabad soon.

This channel will have live coverage

Red carpet is out and stairs moving into place

They’re getting ready. There’s an honour guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eya
#RoyalVisitPakistan is trending in both the U.K. and Pakistan! I’m really looking forward to their royal highnesses visit.

The interactions between the Cambridges and the children on the live feed were adorable. The little boy was clearly not on board with the whole thing, and I thought William and Catherine handled that very sweetly.

It was interesting to watch the press streaming off the back of the plane, there were so many of them. Do we know the number of staff and the number of press who are along for the tour?

A very well done arrival, and now hopefully everyone can get some sleep and a strong start tomorrow.

“The couple were on great form on flight on the way over - chatty and fun. They are really looking forward to #RoyalVisitPakistan”

Via Rebecca English Twitter

Last edited:
The interactions between the Cambridges and the children on the live feed were adorable. The little boy was clearly not on board with the whole thing, and I thought William and Catherine handled that very sweetly.

It was interesting to watch the press streaming off the back of the plane, there were so many of them. Do we know the number of staff and the number of press who are along for the tour?

A very well done arrival, and now hopefully everyone can get some sleep and a strong start tomorrow.

A fair amount. I would imagine most if not all of the rota plus their staff/diplomatic staff. This sort of tour, I would expect a fair amount of FO officials with them. 400 press were accredited for the South African tour, including 80+ British and US press so I would imagine this tour is about that size, although likely less American press.

Last edited:

There’s usually a lot of press for a tour like this. Team Cambridge numbers 14 people, including their private secretaries Simon Case and Catherine Quinn and communications secretary Christian Jones. Another four members of the communications team, two assistant private secretaries, two programme coordinators, a PA, an orderly and a hairdresser.

Wouldn't their team of royal protection officers be included in that list? I would imagine that its either two or three RPOs assigned to each royal when it comes to a tour.

I tuned in just as their plane was landing and the highlight for me was the interactions with the children. Both William and Kate getting down more to the kid's level probably made them feel a whole lot more comfortable than they initially were.

Now for a rest and onwards to the rest of the tour. ?

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have touched down in Pakistan at the start of their five-day Royal Tour.

It is Their Royal Highnesses' first official visit to the country during which they will pay respect to the historical relationship between Britain and Pakistan.

Throughout the tour, Their Royal Highnesses will visit programmes which empower young people to ensure they have the best possible start in life, and they will explore how communities in Pakistan are rapidly responding and adapting to the effects of climate change.

This is a complex tour for the couple given the logistical and security considerations, and their engagements are not being made public until the day of each appearance.

The UK has been a key partner for Pakistan, and The Duke and Duchess will meet UK and Pakistan military personnel who are sharing expertise to improve security.

Nice to see the Cambridges have arrived safely. It was interesting to see the traditional dress on the children greeting Catherine as I hadn't seen the male Pakistani dress before.

At a reception on Tuesday celebrating Pakistani culture, the Duke is expected to say: “We share unique bonds, so it will always be in our best interests for Pakistan to succeed. Not least because of the 1.5 million people living in the UK with Pakistani origin, and the fact the UK is one of the biggest investors in Pakistan’s economy. You can always rely on the UK to play an important role as a key partner and friend.”

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning departed from Royal Air Force Brize Norton for Pakistan and were received this evening in Pakistan by the British High Commissioner to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan (His Excellency Mr Thomas Drew).

Dr Simon Case, Ms Catherine Quinn and Mr Christian Jones are in attendance.

- COURT CIRCULAR || 14 OCTOBER 2019

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom