Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the military here in the states if a soldier/military man is 'deployed' for an extended training session where it's not considered a danger for the family to move, the family can choose to move of their own accord. The military won't pay for it, and the military won't make the changes to the pay of the service member to reflect a change in location.

In other words if the soldier is moved to Texas for less than 6 months of training and the wife wishes to join him, it's on their own dime. The military could care less if the family is there (if it's safe), so long as the service member is able to continue doing their job.

Perhaps this is the case with the UK forces?
I sincerely hope not. I shouldn't think the Falklands would run to "lonely wives accommodation". Anyway, it would not be a good look for the Duchess if she couldn't hack a miserable six weeks without her husband. I was going to say "alone" but, compared with other military wives, she has more support than anyone else!

The notion of her going with him is a total nonsense and would not serve either the interests of his career or the BRF.

Last edited:
My brother and sister in law had been married only 6 months when he received training deployment orders in Korea for 4 months. Rather than be separated so early in their marriage, they worked it out so she could move (on their own dime) to Korea for the same time period.

In a new marriage, I see no reason why, if it's within the limits of the law (allowed by Command, of course) and safe, a wife should not be able to go. Now, I'm not saying I think Kate is going, or that she can't handle the separation, but we were discussing whether she was going or not, and I wondered if the UK services operated similarly to that of the US forces. No big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I stated before, the reason why no partners are going is length of time. The deployment is for 6weeks-2months which is too short. The US military appears to allow family to move over, going by your brother's experience, for 4 months or more -- but that's double the time William will be in the Falklands. :)

If my brother were only gone 6-8 weeks and my SiL wanted to join him, she'd be free to do so on her own dime.
I do understand what you are saying, and given their past relationship I can hardly see Kate feeling the need to follow William to the Falklands for that small an amount of time. Certainly she can find something to occupy her time for those weeks.

6 weeks is only 1.5 months. I can't imagine Catherine going with him for that short amount of time. Despite what some people think, I feel quite certain that she has a lot going on behind the scenes with staff preparing her for her new role. This will be the best opportunity for her to stay in London and really focus on that preperation without the back and forth trips between London and Wales.

I could have sworn that being stationed meant you were going to be there for awhile, not 6wks, that sounds more like a visit or layover than being stationed. I also don't see a problem with a new wife wanting to follow her husband if he is going to be gone for over a month. Will Kate probably follow him I doubt it, from what I have read she has experience with him being absent for a time, this one will just be longer.

Initially, William was going to be gone for 12 weeks, so some concession has already been made.

Initially, William was going to be gone for 12 weeks, so some concession has already been made.

We don't know that any concession has been made. As an Air Force brat I can vouch that military plans change all the time. One day it's a 12 week assignment, the next day it's a 6 week assignment. Regardless of who the serviceman is.

Of course there are going to be concessions. Back in late '07, he was allowed to shorten his initial 6 month training course to 4 months. That is a concession. William will become head of the Military Forces. This isn't the first time a royal has been fast-tracked and it won't be the last. Anyone thinking otherwise is mistaken.

Is everyone else on his crew going for 12 weeks and him just for 6?

Of course there are going to be concessions. Back in late '07, he was allowed to shorten his initial 6 month training course to 4 months. That is a concession. William will become head of the Military Forces. This isn't the first time a royal has been fast-tracked and it won't be the last. Anyone thinking otherwise is mistaken.

Can you prove that a concession for William has been made in this case for William's service to be cut by 6 weeks? William's enthusiasm to serve his country makes me highly doubt that he would allow any concessions to be made towards him. :)

Edit:

The article you provided says this

"This deployment forms part of a normal squadron crew rotation and will form part of Flight Lieutenant Wales' training and career progression as a Search and Rescue pilot within the RAF."
He will be part of a four-person crew.

If it's a normal squadron crew rotation, than where is the concession to normality?

Last edited:
I can't, of course, prove anything. It is discussion, speculation and any other descriptive one would use for any thread in this forum.

You might be right; then again, so might I. I'm just going from the concession William received earlier when the course was 6 months and he didn't do 6 months.

I'm not out to prove anything, but I will bring things up with which you may not agree.

I've seen it stated so many times that William wants to be treated as any other member of his squadron would be. Last year he even was on station for Christmas Day as it is customary for single men to do so and allow those with wives and families to be home with them.

I'm sure that when scheduling times for shifts on base, perhaps some of William's upcoming events and such are taken into consideration but that would probably work too with say another guy (or gal) having requests for off times around a birth of a baby, a death in the family and any other thing that comes up.

:previous:And it won't be too long before they celebrate their first wedding anniversary.

Just got back from the Supermarket and laughed my head off at the headlines on the magazines in the checkout lane. One of the mags was trumpeting Will and Kate's first big fight! Apparently she's throwing her toys out of the cot at him going away for six whole weeks! Yeah, right! :ROFLMAO:

Just got back from the Supermarket and laughed my head off at the headlines on the magazines in the checkout lane. One of the mags was trumpeting Will and Kate's first big fight! Apparently she's throwing her toys out of the cot at him going away for six whole weeks! Yeah, right! :ROFLMAO:

Must be a real slow day in the 'news rooms' of the gossip rags :ROFLMAO:.

Dont know if this is the right place but does anyone know about the upcoming program about William and Catherines married life? I believe it is supposed to be on the 13th? :flowers:

Dont know if this is the right place but does anyone know about the upcoming program about William and Catherines married life? I believe it is supposed to be on the 13th? :flowers:

I believe it is on Tuesday at 8pm (eastern) on NBC. Must remember to record as that is my b-day and I'll be having a little celebration.

Are the Cambridges participating in the program, or is it just a "put together" of old footage with speculation? Anyone know?

:previous:I believe it's the latter, from what I've read of the program description. There will be the usual interviews with various and sundry people and an account of the daily activities of their life in Anglesey. No great revelations, I'm sure, not when it's only an hour long. ;)

Last edited:
Didn't know about this program, now I have it set to record on my DVR. More than likely it will be boring and nothing new.

It was entertaining. I recognized much of Kate's wardrobe due to the diligent posting of so many people on TRF. Since the focus was much broader than just single appearances, Kate came off looking young, fresh and on her way to a bit of sophistication. William was handsome, sincere and patient. Good show.

I missed it... :sad:

details... I need details.. and is there anywhere that I can stream it? is NBC going to post it somewhere?

I missed it too!! Anyone know if it is on you tube or will it be somewhere I can watch it? Help!:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom