Death of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster: August 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Your source. Not doubting you, but you are using yourself as a source.

Good that the mystery's solved, though I quite liked the idea of pet grandchildren!

does Hugh have a lady friend?

If he did, it would be private - the family does not seek publicity.

Private funeral was held today for close family. Public memorial service later this year

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess the royal family in full force will be represented at his funeral, seeing the strong family links between the two families.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 17m17 minutes ago
A private funeral service, attended only by close family members, was held this afternoon for the Duke of Westminster.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 17m17 minutes ago
A memorial service will be held later in the year for the Duke of Westminster, who died on Tuesday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 12m12 minutes ago
Senior members of the Royal Family had been primed to attend the funeral but that was always subject to the family's wishes.

I'm guessing the royals will attend the memorial when that's planned.

Last edited:
I'm relieved to hear that the family was able to have a very closed and private funeral without all the glare and attention from the outside world to deal with.

By the time the more public memorial service is held, the family will be able to appreciate and join in with those that knew the late Duke of Winchester as a close friend and in the different areas of his life that were important to him.

I'm relieved to hear that the family was able to have a very closed and private funeral without all the glare and attention from the outside world to deal with.

By the time the more public memorial service is held, the family will be able to appreciate and join in with those that knew the late Duke of Winchester as a close friend and in the different areas of his life that were important to him.
I agree! Very nice to hear :) And considering their focus on privacy for the family, not very surprising.

i guess the royal family in full force will be represented at his funeral, seeing the strong family links between the two families.

Funeral was today. Private, just close family. Memorial service will be later this year *(that is when royals will attend)

Duke of Westminster, not Winchester

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke of Westminster, not Winchester

Ooooops! Thanks for the correction. Sometimes my mind thinks something and the fingers type something else. Hubby was talking about heading down to Winchester, VA for gas at the time. :whistling:

I think this is a perfect way to handle such a sudden death, the family can grieve in private before facing the public in a few months when they are more ready.

I think this is a perfect way to handle such a sudden death, the family can grieve in private before facing the public in a few months when they are more ready.
I agree. Seems very sensible. And also a way to let people plan it into their calendars, since there will probably be quite a few important people there.

Seems to be customary with public figures in the UK. Many of the memorials the royals attended have been months after. The actual funeral being a private affair for family and close friends.

I appreciate the idea a lot. His widow, children, grandchildren and family can mourn in peace. Others can wait to pay their respects.:flowers:

I didn't say he shouldn't have a party life. I said it was disrespectful for newspapers to expose the private moments of a guy who has never sought out publicity a day after his father died.
sorry who is this? Are you referring to the Late Duke or the present one?

Ooooops! Thanks for the correction. Sometimes my mind thinks something and the fingers type something else. Hubby was talking about heading down to Winchester, VA for gas at the time. :whistling:

Ah, I-81... shudder.. just thinking about all the places in VA named after royals and nobles.

Yes, I know I'm off topic, I'm stopping now.

Seems to be customary with public figures in the UK. Many of the memorials the royals attended have been months after. The actual funeral being a private affair for family and close friends.

I appreciate the idea a lot. His widow, children, grandchildren and family can mourn in peace. Others can wait to pay their respects.:flowers:

that makes sense, i didn't know that was the way it was done in the UK, in most countries where i have lived people usually attend the funeral, and memorial services are less common.

that makes sense, i didn't know that was the way it was done in the UK, in most countries where i have lived people usually attend the funeral, and memorial services are less common.

A memorial service is a very good idea, because not everyone gets a chance to attend a funeral. You're right though, memorial services are less common here. I think it would be nice to have a commemorative memorial service for our loved ones. The 10th or 20th anniversary of someone's passing.

Last edited:
Ah, I-81... shudder.. just thinking about all the places in VA named after royals and nobles.

Yes, I know I'm off topic, I'm stopping now.

One more reason to love Virginia ... says another VA resident. I live in a county named for an extant peerage

A briefing sent to Cheshire West and Chester councillors yesterday (November 16) reveals the scale and high profile nature of the event which will inevitably cause disruption in the city centre .

It reads: “It is expected that around 2,000 guests will be attending the ticketed service including family, close friends, estate workers, local, national and international VIPs and representatives of charities the Duke had links with.

“It is anticipated that security around the event will be high, particularly on the day. The police are working closely with the Westminster family to ensure that all guests and members of the public remain safe.”
Read more: Duke of Westminster's memorial service will be attended by international VIPs - Chester Chronicle

When news of the Duke of Westminster’s death broke on August 9 it sent shock waves not only through the Cheshire community but in business, political and royal circles too.

The Duke’s death from a heart attack at 64 came as a bolt out of the blue during a visit to his Abbeystead shooting estate in Lancashire.

Grosvenor Estate have not spoken about the circumstances surrounding the final hours of Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, although locals in Abbeystead understand he was out ‘on the fell’ accompanied by a gamekeeper when taken ill.

He may have been preparing for the shooting party he was due to host for family and close friends later that week on ‘The Glorious 12th’ of August, which is the start of the grouse shooting season.

The Duke, whose life will be celebrated at a memorial service at Chester Cathedral on Monday (November 28), was conveyed by air ambulance to the Royal Preston Hospital where he sadly died.
Read more: Duke of Westminster's untimely death came out of the blue - Chester Chronicle

Which members of the Royal Family will attend the memorial service for the late Duke tomorrow?

Which members of the Royal Family will attend the memorial service for the late Duke tomorrow?

It is not confirmed that any are attending. Some are expected to attend but no word on who.

There is a lot of security going on around the Cathedral so I suspect at least some senior royals will be in attendance. I would guess Charles and/or Camilla, William and/or Kate. Although the Queen doesn't usually attend such events this is one of those she is most likely to attend. She did attend the late Duke's daughters wedding even though she rarely attends weddings out of her immediate family. The DofE is the only royal with an official event listed on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom