British Royal Family Genealogy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tracing Queen Elizabeth Ancestry Line back to the Tudors

I made a British Royal Family Tree Tracing Queen Elizabeth Ancestry Line back to the Tudors. Please Tell me what you think and if In made any mistakes, error, etc.

1. 14th Great Grandparent King Henry VII 1457-1509 Elizabeth of York 1466-1503

2. 13th Great Grandparents Margaret Tudor 1489-1541 Archibald Douglas, 6th Earl of Angus 1489-1557- Margaret Tudor Daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York

3. 12th Great Grandparent Margaret Douglas 1515-1578 Matthew Stewart, 4th Earl of Lennox 1516-1571

4. 11th Great Grandparents Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley 1545-1567 Mary, Queen of Scots 1489-1541- Henry Stuart Son of Margaret Douglas and Matthew Stewart

5. 10th Great Grandparent King James I 1566-1625 Anne of Denmark 1574-1619- James I Son of Henry and Mary of Scots

6. 9th Great Grandparents Elizabeth Stuart 1596-1662 Frederick V, Elector Palatine 1596-1632- Elizabeth Daughter of James I and Anne of Denmark

7. 8th Great Grandparents Sophia of Hanover 1630-1714 Ernest Augustus 1629-1629- Sophia of Hanover Daughter of Frederick V, Elector and Elizabeth

8. 7th Great Grandparents King George I 1660-1727 Sophia Dorothea of Celle 1666-1726-King George I Son of Sophia of Hanover and Ernest Augustus

9. 6th Great Grandparents King George II 1683-1760 Caroline of Ansbach 1683-1737- George II Son of Gorge ! and Sophia

10. 5th Great Grandparents Frederick, Prince of Wales 1707-1751 Princess Augusta 1719-1772- Frederick Son of George II and Caroline

11. 4th Great Grandparents King George III 1738-1820 Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz 1744-1818- George III Son of Frederick and Augusta

12. 3rd Great Grandparents Prince Edward, Duke of Kent 1767-1820 Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld 1786-1861- Prince Edward Son of George III And Charlotte

13. Great Great Grandparents Queen Victoria 1819-1901 Prince Albert 1819-1861- Victoria Daughter of Edward and Princess Victoria

14. Great Grandparents King Edward VII 1841-1910 Alexandra of Denmark 1844-1925- Edward VII Son of Victoria and Albert

15. Grandparents King George V 1865-1936 Queen Mary of Teck 1867-1953
-George V Son of Edward and Alexandra

16. Parents King George VI 1856-1952 Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother 1900-2002
-George VI Son of George and Mary

Queen Elizabeth II Born 1926 Prince Philip Born 1921
Daughter of King George VI and Elizabeth

Next Generations:
Prince Charles Born 1948 Princess Diana 1961-1997 married 1981-1996
Son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip

Prince Williams Born 1982, Married Kate Middleton Born 1982. Son of Prince Charles and Princess Diana

Last edited:
Hey someone tell me..does Queen EII have the bloodline of William The Conqueror? Or from where was it interrupted? Who was the earliest English monarch she could be traced directly to? I know the line wasnt straight..(nephews, cousins, distant relatives etc..)..But still..could her ancestry be traced to William I? Or just to Henry VII?

Hey someone tell me..does Queen EII have the bloodline of William The Conqueror? Or where was it interrupted? Who was the earliest English monarch she could be traced directly to? I know the line wasnt straight..(nephews, cousins, distant relatives etc..)..But still..could her ancestry be traced to William I?
of course
Ancestors of Queen Elizabeth II at RoyaList

Hey someone tell me..does Queen EII have the bloodline of William The Conqueror? Or from where was it interrupted? Who was the earliest English monarch she could be traced directly to? I know the line wasnt straight..(nephews, cousins, distant relatives etc..)..But still..could her ancestry be traced to William I? Or just to Henry VII?
Yes you can trace it back to William the Conqueror. I started with the Tudors as it get kind of Complicated between William the Conqueror and the start of the Tudors. He is Elizabeth 22 Great Grandfather.

I made a British Royal Family Tree Tracing Queen Elizabeth Ancestry Line back to the Tudors. Please Tell me what you think and if Made any mistakes, error, etc.

14th Great Grandparent King Henry VII 1457-1509 Elizabeth of York 1466-1503

13th Great Grandparents Margaret Tudor 1489-1541 James IV of Scotland 1473-1513- Margret Tudor Daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York

12th Great Grandparent Margaret Douglas 1515-1578 Matthew Stewart, 4th Earl 1516- 1571- Margaret Douglas Daughter of Margaret Tudor and James VI

11th Great Grandparents Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley 1545-1567 Mary, Queen of Scots 1489-1541- Henry Stuart Son of Margaret Douglas and James VI

This isn't entirely right. You've got most of the right people, but the wrong connections.

Margaret Tudor and James IV of Scotland had a son, James V. James V married Mary of Guise and had a daughter, Mary of Scots.

Margaret Tudor then married Archibald Douglas and had a daughter, Margaret Douglas. Margaret Douglas married Matthew Stewart and had a son, Henry Stuart.

Henry Stuart and Mary of Scots married and had a son. James VI, who became James I of England, and from whom Elizabeth II descends.

The Queen is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror through multiply lines: she is his 22nd great-granddaughter.

Elizabeth II is also a direct descendant of many Anglo-Saxon Kings, Kings of Scotland native Princes of Wales, and (High) Kings of Ireland, including Egbert of Wessex (generally accepted to have been the first King of England), Alfred the Great, Harold Godwinson, Rhys ap Gruffydd, Llywelyn the Great, Brian Boru, and many others.

One of the lines of descent from William the Conqueror:
- William the Conqueror
- Henry I
- Empress Matilda
- Henry II
- King John
- Henry III
- Edward I
- Edward II
- Edward III
- Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence
- Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster
- Roger, 4th Earl of March
- Anne de Mortimer
- Richard, 3rd Duke of York
- Edward IV
- Elizabeth of York
- Margaret Tudor
- James V of Scotland
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- James VI and I of Scotland and England
- Elizabeth of Bohemia
- Sophia, Electress of Hanover
- George I of Great Britian
- George II
- Frederick, Prince of Wales
- George III
- Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn
- Queen Victoria
- Edward VII
- George V
- George VI
- Queen Elizabeth II

Last edited:
She's also descended from the pre-conquest Wessex kings.

- Alfred the Great
- Edward the Elder
- Edmund I
- Edgar the Peaceful
- Æthelred the Unready
- Edmund Ironside
- Edward the Exile
- Saint Margaret of Scotland
- Matilda of Scotland
- Empress Matilda

:previous:
Indeed, the Queen can trace her ancestry all the way back to Cedric, King of Wessex - the original Anglo-Saxon conqueror who founded and became the first King of Wessex from 519 to 534. All subsequent English Monarchs were descended from him.

- Cedric, King of Wessex
- Creoda
- Cynric of Wessex
- Ceawlin of Wessex
- Cuthwine of Wessex
- Cutha Cathwulf
- Ceolwald of Wessex
- Coenred of Wessex
- Ingild of Wessex
- Eoppa of Wessex (nephew of King Ine of Wessex)
- Eafa of Wessex
- Ealhmund, King of Kent
- Egbert, King of England
- Aethelwulf
- Alfred the Great
- Edward the Elder
- Edmund I
- King Edgar
- Ethelred II the Unready
- Edmund II Ironside
- Edward the Exile
- Margaret of Scotland
- Edith of Scotland
- Empress Matilda
- Henry II of England- King John
- Henry III
- Edward I
- Edward II
- Edward III
- Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence
- Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster
- Roger, 4th Earl of March
- Anne de Mortimer
- Richard, 3rd Duke of York
- Edward IV
- Elizabeth of York
- Margaret Tudor
- James V of Scotland
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- James VI and I of Scotland and England
- Elizabeth of Bohemia
- Sophia, Electress of Hanover
- George I of Great Britian
- George II
- Frederick, Prince of Wales
- George III
- Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn
- Queen Victoria
- Edward VII
- George V
- George VI
- Queen Elizabeth II

A bit off-topic but I just have to mention she is also descended from Armenian Kings (both those of the Kingdom of Armenia and the Cilician Kingdom of Armenia).

Last edited:
I have a "family tree" that says she can trace her ancestry back to Woden!

I have a "family tree" that says she can trace her ancestry back to Woden!
Kind of. According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (composed during the reign of Alfred theGreat), Woden was the father of Wecta, Beldeg, wihtgils and Wihtlaeg. Those four were the ancestors of the Kings of Wessex, Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia - and Queen Elizabeth is a direct descendant of each one of them (and Woden, by default).

There is also the Ecclesiastical History of te English People (completed in early 8th century), which states that the first two commanders of the Anglo-Saxon settlers of Britain were Hengist and Horsa. They were "the sons o Civtgilsus, whose father was Vecta, son of Woden; from whose stock the royal race of many provinces deduce their original".

Quite an illustrious ancestry Elizabeth II has! She is also supposed to be a direct descendant of Prophet Mohammed (although I haven't been able to find a reliable genealogical chart of that), Roman Emperors (that I can easily provide, if necessary; however, it must be remembered that quite a few of the Roman Emperors were adopted and not biological children of their predecessors although they all came from just a handful of most notable Roman families), Genghis Khan (again, a chart can be provided although there are some debatable points), and so on.

Last edited:
interesting fact:
The queen's Great(x6)-grandfather Patrick Lyon, 3rd Earl of Strathmore married Helen Middleton, daughter of John Middleton, 1st Earl of Middleton.
So, Catherine is not the first Middleton in the family :)

Was Helen Middleton part of the royal family or part of the Lyon family?

in this case "family" is equal to "ancestors"

I don't see the reason why anyone will try to put Charles's ancestry down. Both Charles & Diana came from blue blooded families.

Interestingly, Diana, Princess of Wales, is descended from 2 of Charles II's illegitimate sons - Henry Fitzroy, 1st Duke of Grafton, and Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond.
So, for what it's worth, Prince William will become the first descendent of Charles II to occupy the British throne, if he succeeds as expected!

I was bored this evening so I decided to find out what was the family connection between the Queen and prince Philip.
- Then I found this interesting double family connection of Mary of Teck
- Then I got curious why the Hanoverians got the Throne
- And what was the link between Mary and Anne Stuart and the Hanoverians and the Dutch Orange stadhouders?
- We end up in Scotland.... hmmm how were Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I related?
- Ah, the Tudors. Never understood how Henry VII was involved in it all, let's find out
- I ended up dissecting the War of the Roses.

The result, of more than 4 hours of reading Wiki-pages :)whistling:), I put into an Excell-sheet.
So for those who , like me, were wondering.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvDaHlZF2HfQdHhuUnBYbzJDQU5scTlBcmhvN2wzNWc#gid=0

Do you like it? Did I miss anything/make mistakes?

Andrew for Sarah.

Somewhat confused. Why the different colors? What do the X's represent. I understand blue connects to William.

Are the numbers for the spouses? I understand for the Queen's children the numbers represent the 1st & 2nd spouse is this the case through out then why is Harry #2?

The 1 and 2 refer firstly to spouses (thus Diana is (1) and Camilla is (2)) and secondly to birth order (in the case of William (1) and Harry (2)). The Xs denote marriages.

A couple early mistakes (I haven't looked through it all yet) - the Queen's third child is Andrew, not Edmund, and Edward's wife spells her name Sophie, not Sophy.

A few other things that I noticed on a closer look; you've got all the British monarchs as being blue (with the inclusion of Charles, William, and Baby Cambridge as being future monarchs), except for William III who is orange. While he was Prince of Orange he was also King of England - you might want to make him blue as well (comparable to how you did James IV and I).

While not a mistake in itself, Henry VII's wife, Elizabeth of York, was the daughter of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville, which you might want to include (similar to how you showed that Catherine of Valois married both Owen Tudor and Henry V).

Edward's daughter's name is Louise, not Louisa, and she's older than her brother - it looks like you've got the Queen's children done in order of birth, with the youngest at the top and the eldest at the bottom, but you've done the opposite (for the most part) for their children, with the eldest at the top and the youngest at the bottom, except for the case of Edward's. If you were trying to go for the succession order, then Anne and her descendants should be after Edward.

Finally, just because of the effort you've made in fleshing out the Queen's descendants, you might also want to include the marriages and children of Anne's children; Peter married Autumn Kelly and has two daughters, Savannah and Isla, while Zara has married Mike Tindall.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread made me interested in the ancestry of the queen from her mother's side.

There are so many Plantagenet ancestors! Including Edward III - so she is descended from Eleanor of Aquitaine in more than one line. And several lines from John of Gaunt, including one via the Steward/Stuart kings of Scotland pre Mary queen of Scots...

And Woodvilles. Three Woodville-sisters, daughters of Jaquetta of Luxemburg, including queen Elizabeth (née Woodville) herself from her first marriage...

And there is Bess of Hardwick, the queen is descended from her marriage to Sir William Cavendish, though she is better known as Countess of Shrewsbury. The queen BTW is descended as well from Bess' Earl of Shrewsbury through another line.

Very interesting ancestry. Especially if you see how often her male ancestors married daughters of newly created earls and dukes- thus daughters of men who made their own fortune through service for their king.

Thank you Ish, for your comments.
I have changed/added them.
As for the order of the persons. I have positioned them in order to get the clearest tree. Eg. George IV and his brothers are not in any chronological or other order, but putting Adolphus at the bottom would make it very difficult to add the link of Mary of Teck/Queen Mary.
I am glad that I didn't make any big mistakes, it was one in the morning when I finished and posted it. Especially the War of the Roses part was difficult to follow.

It would be lovely if someone, or team of people, could put this information in a regular genealogy program. The PAF program can be down loaded from the LDS site for nothing. It works really well and does a wonderful job of making the connections. Just an idea.

Having done an extensive genealogy myself, great job. There is always tweaking. Share it and say it is work in progress. Ask for criticism, is insane. You will be told everything that wrong it based on others opinions.

Great job! :flowers:
With so much detail involved, there will always be kinks and typos to iron out in the early days. It will get there. :)

Tweaking...

1. George IV - typo as George VI
2. No Edward VIII?
3. For consistency, 'Elizabeth' should be 'Elizabeth II' if space allows

Attachments

• George IV.jpg
    George IV.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 555
  • Edward VIII.jpg
    Edward VIII.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 561
  • EIIR.jpg
    EIIR.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Thanks Warren, I have changed it.
Can you see the changes?

SLV, in general I think you did a great job (especially for 1 in the morning). It looks so cool - well put together, aesthetically pleasing, etc.

My comment regarding order was specific to the order that you have QEII's descendants - doing that doesn't always work with older connections (such as with the children of George III or those of Charles I).

One thing - you highlighted Elizabeth of York when she appears in the main-line, and added her to the children of Edward IV, but she's not highlighted the second time. This really is nitpicking on my part - once again, this sheet is great and has even inspired me in how to format my own genealogy works.

Can you see the changes?
Yes indeed! :)
Your choice of the pastel colours in the Plantagenet area make this part of the chart look especially smart. :flowers:
However, if I could make a suggestion, the two fields of darker ochre colouring make the print much less easier to read.

Attachments

• Colouring 1.jpg
    Colouring 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 373
Thanks for the link Spheno.

I'm never really sure how I feel about the Wikipedia trees. On the one hand they're really thorough and try to cover everything, but on the other hand they cut up the British royals by house, losing some of the interesting connections, and by covering so much the whole thing becomes a bit of a jumble. I particularly really dislike the Wessex tree.

SLV, have you thought about expanding your tree? There are some really interesting connections if you go to the pre-Edward III monarchs, or if you look at more of the Scottish monarchs (or do both). There's also the approach of Philip, who descends from several of the post George III monarchs through a couple different lines, and then the Charles II-to-Diana line. There's also (allegedly) a line that links William to Catherine Carey, the daughter of Mary Boleyn (and alleged daughter of Henry VIII), but I've never found the actual lineage there.

Hi Ish,
I recently made the line of our Dutch Orange-family line.
And I'm currently working on how many European families are descendant of Johan Willem Friso of Nassau-Dietz. Apparently there are more that those descending from Victoria. So those lines are next, in order to compare.
Prince Philips' line sounds interesting.

Ooh, that's really interesting. I look forward to checking it out!

Like I said earlier (or I think I said), I'm in love with the way you've done this tree, and just how concise and clear you've made it all. I think it's just really cool what you've done.

Back
Top Bottom