British Royal Family Genealogy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my post # 996, getting closer to 1000!​

I posted these two messages way back in April 2005 and took me a while to unearth them. My post was on, now octogenarian, Queen Elizabeth's II very ancient family tree back to pre-Christian era times. Now we have a more precise genealogy sub-forum I'll share it again as my belated gift to her 80 year old birthday celebration :) :​

five descent-lines of Queen Elizabeth of Britain from Julia, sister of Julius Caesar and

descent-line from Queen Cleopatra of Egypt to Queen Elizabeth of Britain
Imagine, our lovely Queen Elizabeth II can rightfully claim she descends from three Continents, Europe, Asia and Africa and their races. And so the Royals and aristocrats related to her family, either in Britain or Continental Europe. Not to many elected politicians have those bragging rights when pushing for votes. Simply put, Queen Elizabeth II has the history of the Western Civilzation running through her veins!

Another old post of mine from April 2005 was also genealogy related. This one I'll recycle below is this one about Queen Elizabeth II and how did I find her spectacular family tree dates back to the begining of civilization as we know it:​

The first time I've heard of Queen Elizabeth's mega ancestry was when I found a book from the 1950's in an used books bookstore here in the New England area of the USA. It's called Blood Royal and was fist published in 1956. (I just grabbed it from my shelf next to me) On page 60 and 61 it traces the ancestry of both the Queen and Prince Phillip as far as the children of the Khans, the Caucasus monarchs and the Zoroastrian Shahs of ancient Persia. The book was made by Ian MonCreiffe and Don Pottinger. When I found that site a few years back I've realized that the book was not only accurate but missed more ancestors.

...on page 61 one of the Russian ancestors of both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip is the daugther of Saint Vladimir, Grand Prince of Russia. She was Anna of Kiev, married to Henry I, King of France. Imagine, Queen Elizabeth even has Saints for ancestors too!
And not only that, from her Spanish branch Queen Elizabeth II of Britain descends from Alfonso VI of Castille and his wife, Princess Zaida, who descends from Mohammed I, King of Seville, descendant of the Moorish Princess of Denia who descends from Mujahid Al-Aamiri, King of the Barbary Corsairs.

PS. I also have the companion book of
Blood Royal titled Simple Heraldry Cheerfully Illustrated, by the same authors. This site reproduces some of it's content and funny pictures: http://www.geocities.com/barensteel/women.html

Last edited:
Prince William's Ancestry

Toledo said:
The first time I've heard of Queen Elizabeth's mega ancestry was when I found a book from the 1950's in an used books bookstore here in the New England area of the USA. It's called Blood Royal and was first published in 1956... On page 60 and 61 it traces the ancestry of both the Queen and Prince Phillip as far as the children of the Khans, the Caucasus monarchs and the Zoroastrian Shahs of ancient Persia. The book was made by Ian MonCreiffe and Don Pottinger. When I found that site a few years back I've realized that the book was not only accurate but missed more ancestors.
In a similar vein, and probably based on this research is "Royal Highness: Ancestry of the Royal Child", by Sir Iain Moncreiffe of the Ilk, Hamish Hamilton Ltd 1982, which traces the many lines of descent of the new-born Prince William of Wales.
Early ancestors include these, all initiators of lines of descent (the last one a bonus for Toledo :)):

Vologaeses V, Great King of Parthia (Persia and Babylonia) 191-208;
John-Asen I, Tsar of the Bulgars 1186-96;
Lyubomir, Lord of Raska and Grand Zupan (Serbia-Bosnia), 1083-1100;
Lazar, Tsar of the Serbs, slain by the Turks in 1389 at the Battle of Kosovo, along with the enemy Sultan ("the most legendary battle of Serb history");
John Ducas, Caesar, brother of Emperor Constantine XI 1059-67 (Byzantine Empire);
Baldwin II, King of Jerusalem 1118-31;
Borivoj (d 894), last pagan Duke of Bohemia (became a Christian and his widow was killed by pagans);
Charlemagne (Charles the Great), Holy Roman Emperor of the West from 800;
Arpad, Duke of the Magyars (conquered Hungary and Transylvania 895);
Giovanni de Medici (1360-1429), Florentine banker;
Matteo I Visconti, Lord of Milan, Imperial Vicar of Lombardy (1295-1322);
Mieszko I, Duke of Poland of the Piast dynasty (964-92);
Lutuwer, pagan Grand Prince of Lithuania d 1293 (members of who's dynasty were buried with their horses);
Bogdan I, Voivode of Moldavia (1349-65) (expelled the Tartars);
Rurik, first Prince of Novgorod (Russia) 862;
The Cid [El Cid], epic hero of Spain, d 1099.

Now this is one peculiar family tree. It's about Spain's top aristocrat, the Duchess of Alba, but the family tree that ties her to the Stewart Kings. But not as a heir but a descendant of the Dukes of Berwick from James Fitz James, King James' illegitimate son by Arabella Churchill, her father Winston Churchill was an ancestor of the prime minister with the same name. That also makes Winston Churchill cousin of the Duchess of Alba? And both seem to be related to Princess Diana's family

The genealogy of the England's Dukes of Berwick and how they became part of Spain's Dukes of Alba.

Last edited:
:ermm: I was thinking where to place this link related to archeology and genealogy, but the closest thread I can think of is this one. As all stories, you have to take it with a grain of salt (or so the expression goes) but it still interesting to read the theory of a royal family and their alleged descendants. After the article there are some funny letters to the editor with the reactions that are even more amusing to read than the article itself. My advice, hold on to the money before you buy the book, I'll rather wait for the DNA results ;)

The pharaoh's daughter who was the mother of all Scots
Diane MaClean
September 14, 2006

Last edited:
British royal family tree

One of my random, favorite hobbies is making a family tree from memory of the genealogy of the British royals and spouses (along with children) from Robert, Duke of Normandy, and Arlette, parents of William I of England, called the "Conqueror," to HRH Princes William and Harry today.

Anyone else do that?

Something interesting: HRH the Countess of Wessex is a very distant cousin of HRH the Earl of Wessex, her husband....

Another good link is the "Royal descents of famous people."

Prince Philip's family tree

Where can I find a detailed family tree of Prince Philip... plus, if possible, one that goes into how he is related to other royal families of Europe? I've looked, but can't seem to find one. Wiki kinda falls short of analyzing Prince Philip's relationships to the other royal houses. Actually, I'm kind of looking for something like on http://www.warholm.nu/Royals under FAQ's where he analyzes how each monarch is related to each other, but I want to find one where they analyze Prince Philip instead.

Thanks if you can help :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a family tree in the front of Hugo Vicker's book Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece. It shows how he's related through the House of Hesse, and the British Royal Family, and of course Denmark, through his father.

There's a family tree in the front of Hugo Vicker's book Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece. It shows how he's related through the House of Hesse, and the British Royal Family, and of course Denmark, through his father.

Thank you! I'm also interested in how he is related to the Russian, Swedish, and Spanish royal houses as well. If I can get enough information, I might try to make my own... and then of course share it! :flowers:

As a descendant of Queen Victoria Prince Philip is related to the Spanish and Swedish Houses through the Queen's granddaughters Ena of Battenberg (who married King Alfonso XIII) and Margaret of Connaught (who married King Gustav VI Adolf). There are other connections but these are the direct lines. The Russian connection comes via Prince Philip's paternal grandmother Queen Olga of Greece, the daughter of Grand Duke Constantine of Russia and granddaughter of Tsar Nikolai I.

Prince Philip's mother Alice was the sister of Louise of Battenberg (later Mountbatten) who became King Gustav VI Adolf's second wife. Philip's Hesse-Darmstadt grandmother Victoria was also a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the sister of both the ill-fated Grand Duchess Serge and Tsarina Alexandra (Alix) of Russia.

There are probably family trees or lines of descent showing these relationships more clearly in the links in previous posts of this thread.

Thanks Warren for answering my question. I guess this also got me thinking about the Battenberg/ Mountbatten blood line too. The first princess of Battenberg (or at least in more modern times??) was HSH Princess Julia of Battenberg. I think it is interesting how a wife of a morganic marriage could be the ancestress to the future kind of England and the current King of Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first (modern) Princess of Battenberg may have been Alexander of Hesse's daughter Marie who was born in 1852. Alexander's morganatic wife Julie von Hauke was Countess of Battenberg until 1858 when she was raised to the rank of Princess, with the qualification of Serene Highness.

The other morganatic marriage of note with an impact on the British Royal House was that of Prince Alexander of Württemberg who in 1835 married Countess Claudine Rhédy de Kis-Rhéde. She was created Countess von Hohenstein and the children became Princes and Princess of Teck, Serene Highnesses, in 1863. The eldest son Francis, created Duke of Teck in 1871, was the father of Princess May, who of course went on to become Queen Mary of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India.

An old scandal for the Bowes-Lyons

I was messing around in wikipedia and stumbled over HM Elizabeth II's genealogical chart. I noticed that the Countess of Strathmore's grandmother was a young lady named Anne Wellesley.

It turns out that Anne was the niece of the first Duke of Wellington. Her father was Richard Wellesley, 1st Marquess Wellesley. Anne was born out of wedlock to Richard and his mistress Hyacinthe-Gabrielle Roland. Hyacinthe was an actress at the Palais Royal. Eventually this couple married 6 years after Anne's birth, in 1794.

Anne married but then had an affair with her husband's friend, Lord William Charles Augustus Cavendish-Bentinck. His maternal grandparents were the 3rd Duke of Portland and Lady Dorothy Cavendish, sister to the Duke of Devonshire who was married to Georgianna Spencer.

Anne and William eloped in 1815, she got a divorce in 1816 and married William that year. They went on to have four children.

How's that for a bundle of Regency scandals? I never would have guessed that Cecilia's rather grim facade hid this amount of passion.

Dig a little...the inside of the souffle is always the best! ;-P

If anyone is interested in The Tudor Reign and the genealogy connected to the royalty of that time, I have found this site very useful!

Tudor Place

Tsar descendant?

I'm new here, so may not be in the right forum. What I'm wanting to know is whether Edward I, king of England, is a descendant of any Russian tsar. If so, where can I find a generation by generation listing of the connection?

I presume you mean Edward VIII, later Duke of Windsor. I do not believe he had any Romanov ancestry, although Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and his children do.

I'm new here, so may not be in the right forum. What I'm wanting to know is whether Edward I, king of England, is a descendant of any Russian tsar. If so, where can I find a generation by generation listing of the connection?

The first formally crowned Tsar of Russia was Ivan IV in 1547 altough there were rulers in Russia before that but they didn't use the title Tsar.

The title Tsar was used in Bulgaria from the 900s on and off until the middle of the 20th century.

Edward 1 ruled England from 1239 - 1307.

So if you mean was Edward I a desendent of a Russian tsar the simple answer is 'no' as there were no Russian tsars before him. However, did he have any Russian ancestry - I have no idea.

Like the previous posters, I do not believe he is a descendant of any Russian Tsar.

As for the Duke of Windsor, he is a descendant of Yuri Dolgorukiy, Grand Prince of Kiev and founder of Moscow, and Yaroslav II, Grand Prince of Vladimir, for example. But as Iluvbertie said there were no tsars of Russia at that time.

I presume you mean Edward VIII, later Duke of Windsor. I do not believe he had any Romanov ancestry, although Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and his children do.
Where do they get their Romanov ancestry? I know they are related to the Romanovs through Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece, who was the niece of Empress Alexandra but I do not think they are descended from a Romanov. The Queen is also related to the Romanovs through her great grandmother Queen Alexandra, whose sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna

Correction: Oops, forgot about Queen Olga of Greece, who I believe was a descendant of the Romanov Tsars and thus, Prince Phillip, Olga's grandson, does have Romanov blood

The Queen is also related to the Romanovs through her great grandmother Queen Alexandra, whose sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna

The Queen is not related to the Romanovs' as Queen Alexandra, herself, was not a Romanov. And Maria Fyodorovna was only a Romanov by marriage.

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra (of Kent) are great-great-grandchildren of Tsar Alexander II.
Their maternal grandmother was Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia.
They're the only Windsors I can recall who have a blood relation with a Tsar.

:previous: The Duke of Edinburgh is the great great grandchild of Tsar Nikolai I.

Tsar Nikolai I > Grand Duke Konstantin > Queen Olga > Prince Andrew > Prince Philip

:previous: The Duke of Edinburgh is the great great grandchild of Tsar Nikolai I.

Tsar Nikolai I > Grand Duke Konstantin > Queen Olga > Prince Andrew > Prince Philip

Prince Philip >>>

> Prince Charles > Prince William & Prince Harry

> Princess Anne, Princess Royal > Peter & Zara Phillips

> Prince Andrew > Princess Beatrice & Princess Eugenie

> Prince Edward > The Lady Louise & Viscount Severn

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I was sure that I forgot something as I only focused on Royals who were born as Windsors. :) Thank you for that, Madame Royale & HM Queen Catherine! :flowers:
Are there any other relations between the Windsors and Romanovs?

The Queen is not related to the Romanovs' as Queen Alexandra, herself, was not a Romanov. And Maria Fyodorovna was only a Romanov by marriage.

I guess I should have said the Queen was related to the Romanovs who perished. The Queen shares Queen Alexandra's blood and the Tsar Nicholas II and his children had the same blood from their mother and grandmother, Queen Alexandra's sister. I know neither woman was born a Romanov but this is how people become related to one another, through marriages and shared blood lines. If the Tsar and his children had lived, their descendants would be related to the Queen.

So how is Prince Henry for example related to Tsareavich Alexei

So how is Prince Henry for example related to Tsareavich Alexei

Many ways.

1) Through his father Charles and his grandfather Philip Harry, who I assume you mean by Prince Henry as he never uses that name (the last British royal to use Prince Henry was the late Duke of Gloucester) he is a distant cousin through their shared descent from Nicholas I of Russia.

2) Alexei was a great-grandchild of Queen Victoria through his mother Tsarina Alexandra and Harry is a great great-great-great-great grandson of Queen Victoria - Alice, Victoria, Alice, Philip, Charles, Harry

3) Another line of descent from Queen Victoria is Edward VII, George V, George VI, Elizabeth II, Charles to Harry whereas Alexei is simply Alice, Alexandra, Alexei

4) Then there are the lines from Christian IX of Denmark - George I of the Hellenes, Andrew, Philip, Charles, Harry compared to Alexei going Marie Feodorovna - Nicholas II - Alexei

5) The other line here is Christian IX - Alexandra - George V, George VI, Elizabeth II - Charles - Harry.

I refuse to work out cousinly relationships as that varies from country to country as to how that is counted.

Back
Top Bottom