Baptism of Princess Alexia: November 19, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mtbcm said:
Hola published an interesting article about this theme. Here is a rough translation of the article. (:eek: I am sorry for any mistake in the translation, I have no time to check it...)

All babies born in the Dutch Royal Family in the last century worn this brooch the day of their baptism

Allthough many baptismal traditions of Dutch Royal Family have been changed through the years, others, as the christening gown and the historical brooch that wears the new born during the religious ceremony, have remained unalterable in the successive generations of the Orange Family.

In a spontenous ceremony, like her older sister, princess Catherine-Amalia, the small Alexia was baptized with water of the Jordán river and the familiar gown. A precious christening gown, that was made specially for the baptism of Queen Guillermina, in 1880, with embroidery of Brussels. The dress has been used in the last years for the baptisms of Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix - respectively great-grandmother and grandmother of the neophyte -; her father, prince Guillermo; her uncle Friso and Constantino and, for the last time, as we said by her sister and future Heiress to the throne of Holland, princess Catherine-Amalia. And, showing the historical brooch- a dove of white gold and brilliants taken before by all their predecessors.

Traditions apart, everyone can see how intimate and sponteaneous these cerimonies are at the kingdom of Holland. Thus, the baptism of princess Alexia could be said that was touching, very pleasant and, also, moved enough: the protagonist of the day was smiling during all the celebration, as well as playing with her mother's brooch; princess Catherine-Amalia, older sister of the litle one, was hardly quiet and, even, in a pair of occasions, rose of her seat and began to cross the central corridor of the temple, without paying attention to princess Maxima who indicated with gestures to return to her place; her greater cousin, Eloísa, who looked a young lady, was very proud of the small purse with which she attended the celebration; the Choir of Children dedicated a charming song to litle Alexia and offered her and her sister with two bibles; without forgetting, personal desires of the godparents. Specially, the sweet words of princess Mathilde to Alexia and, also, Amalia.

Very interresting. Sorry to do this but the queens grandmother was named Wilhelmina and not Guillermina. The same goes to the crownprince Willem-Alexander and not Guillermo.
Hope you forgive me, I hate to correct people.

Interesting and nice article about the baptism! THanks for posting it!

betina said:
Very interresting. Sorry to do this but the queens grandmother was named Wilhelmina and not Guillermina. The same goes to the crownprince Willem-Alexander and not Guillermo.
Hope you forgive me, I hate to correct people.

Guillerma and Guillermo are just the Spanish (or Protuguese? I don't know) translations of the names Wilhelmina and Willem. It's possible that Spanish (or Portuguese) speaking people know Queen Wilhelmina and CP Willem-Alexander as Guillerma and Guillermo. It is as in Dutch. When we speak of 'Louis XIV' we also say 'Lodewijk XIV' for instance. That doesn't mean that 'Lodewijk' has to be wrong, but that we just have a Dutch variant of the French name.

Interesting article by the way. :)

Wilhelmina in spanish is GUILLERMINA

I was flciking through Hello, today, and noticed that in the magazine Maxima's outfit actually looks like it has a green tint to it.

Pictures from ANP and Cover without watermarks:)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 317
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 268
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 340
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,352
Pictures from Face to Face

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 299
More pictures from face to face

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 278
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 294
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 307
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 278
Prince Friso & Princess Mabel (from colourpress)

Attachments

• COLOUR10403844.jpg
    COLOUR10403844.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 244
  • COLOUR10403845.jpg
    COLOUR10403845.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 262
  • COLOUR10403846.jpg
    COLOUR10403846.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 246
That dark lipstick is scary! I think that Mabel is making some serious fashion errors. I like the top half but the skirt should be longer. The lipstick has got to go!

corazon said:
Wilhelmina in spanish is GUILLERMINA

Oops, that was what I meant. Sorry about that. ;)

Bruno Press has some good selection of pictures... so, here're some...

1st batch

Little Amalia with her father

the godmother, Princess Mathilde with her husband, Prince Philippe of Belgium

I know I am going to be in the minority..but I actually like Mabel's outfit (lipstick and all). Perhaps it might not have appropriate for a baptism (IMO) but it was a nice outfit. A dark outfit for a bright occassion is not my thing. But hey..I also don't believe in wearing light bottoms with dark tops :) Not sure what Laurentien was thinking.

Zonk1189 said:
I know I am going to be in the minority..but I actually like Mabel's outfit (lipstick and all). Perhaps it might not have appropriate for a baptism (IMO) but it was a nice outfit. A dark outfit for a bright occassion is not my thing. But hey..I also don't believe in wearing light bottoms with dark tops :) Not sure what Laurentien was thinking.

i'm with you, Zonk1189!
i think she has unique taste in fashion, but the good thing is she can pull it off. so, we can definetely expect something not ordinary from her but not neccesary a bad choice.

Alexandria said:
And can anyone help to identify who this couple is?

Source: Royal Portraits NL

Thanks to Carlota and I don't think that it's been posted before, but this is Maxima's half-sister Delores.

Last edited by a moderator:
purple_platinum said:
3rd batch

Prince Carlos

on this photo Carlos looks a bit like King Juan Carlos of Spain. does anyone else agree?
are they related?

Last edited by a moderator:
cover of CARAS magazine from argentina.

Attachments

• tapa.jpg
    tapa.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 318
Her outfit was from Belgian fashion house Natan, where she buys 90% of the things she wears.

pollyemma said:
on this photo Carlos looks a bit like King Juan Carlos of Spain. does anyone else agree?
are they related?

They are distantly related, duke Luigi of Parma (1773-1803) was married to Infanta Maria-Luisa of Spain. The first duke of Parma, Fillipo I (1720-1765), was a son of King Felipe V of Spain. Fillipo's daughter Maria-Luisa of Parma married her cousin, King Carlos IV of Spain.
Carlos also descents from Empress Carlota Joaqina of Brazil (1775-1830 ), nee Infanta of Spain and Queen Maria-Isabella of the Two Sicilies, (1789-1848), nee Infanta of Spain.

From his maternal side Carlos is related to Juan-Carlos through King George II of Great-Britain.

There are many other ways they are related, but all very distantly.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 335
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 327
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 342
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 358
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 509
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 278
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 325
Amalia is quite the bonnie lass. Very sweet! She's definately her daddy's little girl and I think she looks alot like Beatrix (without the helmet-hair).

BeatrixFan said:
she looks alot like Beatrix (without the helmet-hair).

oh, just give her a few years.

oh, just give her a few years

LOL. Yes. I can see the hairspray looming in the mists of the future.

This weeks pdv has a long report on Alexia's baptism and a special part about Máxima's outfit, which I translte here:

Chapeau!

Princess Máxima loves fashion. And clothes love her as well! For years she's been a very loyal client of the Belgian fashion creator Fabienne Delvigne. It was from her autumn-winter 2005-2006 collection that she wore a hat, like she did for the baptism of Catherina-Amalia. Fabienne Delvigne named the hat "désir poudré" (powdered desire): a camelia of perly grey taffeta, with its petals delicately touching the forehead, in a bunch of tulle. "Princess Máxima chose it about 2 months ago. At the time she hadn't decided on her clothes yet. From the moment we knew the color of her dress and jacket we made the hat in the exact same color", the designer explains. Fabienne Delvigne also regularly provides hats for princess Laurentien, Máxima's sister-in-law. At the baptism of Alexia she wore the cloche hat "Astrid" in a flamboyant shocking pink, decorated by a rose in muslin, in the same color. "The princess immediately fell for this very modern model that resembles her, and she composed her outfit in function of the hat"
Fabienne Delvigne also sells hats to queen Silvia and princess Victoria of Sweden (for example the red hat she wore at the inthronisation of Albert II of Monaco), and to the Belgian royal family.
Princess Mathilde wore a delicate beige-golden hair ornament. "A way to emphasize her timeless refinement", the designer comments.

N.S., point de vue 18322, p. 25.

Thanks for the article. It seems that Belgium is a mecca for royal wear. Foreign royals like Máxima, Laurentien, Silvia, Maria Teresa, and Victoria all wear Natan from Eduard Vermeulen, and milliner Fabienne Delvigne has Máxima, Laurentien, Silvia, and Victoria on her list of clienteles.

Back
Top Bottom