20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if they had not released this information, there would be no risk of photographers.. though its seems as if nobody has been looking around..

The whole estate has been closed though, and as I said, no-one knew when the party was going to arrive. They could all have stayed at Althorp overnight for all we know, though I don't think it likely.

Here's info on the rededication, and also refurbishment of Diana's gravesite and Althorp gardens:
PRINCESS DIANA’S RESTING PLACE TO BE ENHANCED BY HER BROTHER EARL SPENCER, WITH COMPLETION IN TIME FOR 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF HER DEATH - Althorp Estate

Good Morning America's clip of Earl Spencer commenting on Diana's love for her sons, part of the documentary, The Story of Diana, to air in U.S. on ABC in August (9th, 10th):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yURUZGQJcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhB00vuBUWY news on the rededication

Prince Harry and Prince William at the Diana Awards ceremony last month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzjvnV5RG0Q

Thank you for posting these MaiaMia. I'll certainly keep an eye out for the documentary. I've been thinking of her on her birthday and going over some memories I have of her.

Last edited:
A trailer has apparently come out for a documentary to be shown later this month in which Diana's sons remember her and show some never before seen photos of their mother. They describe her as full of fun, the 'naughtiest of parents' and one who 'smothered us with love, that's for sure!' Others that have never spoken of Diana before will also appear in this documentary. So looking forward to this!

'She was one of the naughtiest parents': Princes William and Harry remember their mother Princess Diana

A trailer has apparently come out for a documentary to be shown later this month in which Diana's sons remember her and show some never before seen photos of their mother. They describe her as full of fun, the 'naughtiest of parents' and one who 'smothered us with love, that's for sure!' Others that have never spoken of Diana before will also appear in this documentary. So looking forward to this!

'She was one of the naughtiest parents': Princes William and Harry remember their mother Princess Diana

I can't wait to see it either. I've been waiting so long for the real insight into Diana from her actual loved ones. For 20 years we've been getting endless opinions from people who had a for profit agenda about her and they helped shape a great deal of false narratives that people ran with for so long.

Her two sons will tell you who Diana really was a d it will be the truth.

Will it be the 'whole truth' though or simply their version of the truth? How they saw and interacted with their mother during school holidays - and that is when they saw her once they turned 8 - for six weeks a year - won't be the same as someone who had to work for her, or live with her day in day out.

This will simply be a pro-Diana talkfest from her sons which the Diana fans will love, and use to show how they have turned against their father as he won't get a mention no doubt - other than to say how sad 'mummy' was with Papa.

No one version is ever the entire truth as any decent historian will tell you as all are biased - and this will be no different - a very pro-Diana piece from her sons. Competent people will see it for what it is while the Diana fans will see it as justification for their ongoing hatred of Charles and hopes that he will die soon.

I would rather hear and watch Diana's sons talk about her than some so-called Royal historian or insider who was previously employed by the RF or some tabloid writer blatantly making things up but pretending information in an article is 'supposedly' true from 'known' friends or sources.

Well that's kinda weird to say Bertie...I mean anytime someone gives their side of things it's their version of the truth.

LaRae

I would rather hear and watch Diana's sons talk about her than some so-called Royal historian or insider who was previously employed by the RF or some tabloid writer blatantly making things up but pretending information in an article is 'supposedly' true from 'known' friends or sources.

Well said, me too.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's kinda weird to say Bertie...I mean anytime someone gives their side of things it's their version of the truth.

LaRae

Not weird but truthful.

It is their version - and thus not the whole truth at all - just one version of the truth and that from young people through the prism of 20 years and very little time with her anyway - 6 weeks per year from the age of 8 (as they had 12 weeks holiday a year and spent 6 weeks with Charles - even before the official split the couple were effectively separated from 1986 if not 1984).

Take Diana out of the discussion and go hypothetical for a minute:

Imagine a famous person with a spouse, children, grandchildren, siblings, friends from school, friends from university, work colleagues, employers and employees - would everyone one of these people have the same experience with this famous person - no they would not. That doesn't make one of their versions of the famous person more or less truthful but they may paint a very different picture of the person from someone else e.g. the children will have a different view to the employees or school friends due to different experiences.

A decent historian would look at ALL these sources, and more, to give a rounded picture. They should name their sources and identify the bias of that source but they would certainly give a better view than someone who was close to the person as they can be more objective and better able to assess the versions of the person.

This documentary will be one version of events, the various biographies - whether by her supporters or those who support Charles' - are also different versions and just as valuable so long as they identify the sources they are using.

Primary sources have their place as do memories but secondary sources should never be discounted as they are able to view many different primary sources.

Last edited:
Bertie I think you are being a bit pendantic here...it's not untruthful because it's their truth...it's what they lived, how could it be anything but the truth? They are not being deceptive or changing facts...they are telling it from what they experienced.

Anyone with a brain understands this, if someone wants to think that's all there is to the story then they are fooling themselves. We all know Charles would have a different view..but we can read his book or watch his interview for that.

We aren't talking about some author fixing to write a book on Diana. We are talking about 2 boys reminiscing about their mother.

LaRae

I didn't say it would be 'untruthful' - please don't put words into my mouth.

I said it wouldn't be the 'real insight' which is what DMan said it would be. That is not the case at all.

I said it would be their 'version of the truth' and that is all it will be - a pro-Diana version of the story but only one boring more 'Diana was a wonderful mother, we miss her' version as they have been saying ad nauseum now for years. Every time they open their mouths it is all they can talk about - how wonderful a mother she was (for 6 weeks a year it is easy to be a great mother and that is all she had them for - holidays for 6 weeks a year).

DMan again referred to preferring to hear one version of events from people who were there than reading from a person who goes to the trouble of getting a range of versions to put into a book (in other words someone who does real research and evaluates the work).

One statement I read recently really hit home for me and I think it applies in this discussion. The statement goes "There isn't anything that is 'the truth'."
We all find our own truths by experiences and seeking information but in the end, each person takes what rings true to them and discards the rest.

I think this applies to coming to an understanding of who Diana, Princess of Wales was. The more insights we have, the better we can form our own opinions of this remarkable and many faceted woman.

She had those boys a lot more than 6 weeks a year when they were below school age and that's where those bonds are formed. Working moms everywhere try to balance work life with home life. You get an hour in the morning and a couple hours at night..and then weekends sometimes. Diana had them as much as any other working mother with kids in school (regardless where they go).

Why are you so insistent to put down her relationship with her sons? They say she was a great mother ...to them it is true. Why do you feel the need to say 'BUT'? People WANT to hear them talk about their mother.

LaRae

The truth of a person lies with the people who actually know the person on a much more personal level. No one knows you better than your family who live, eat and sleep with you. Neighbors see you once in a while, work colleagues know parts of the professional things about you, but your family see a part of you that no one else see.

William and Harry will tell the truth about their mother and reflect on the good times and bad times. This isn't about any sainthood or going against Charles. This is about looking back on their mother's life and legacy after 20 years since they lost her.

If she was a terrible mother it would be easy enough for them to not talk about her in interviews beyond the courtesy comment required. They certainly wouldn't need to do documentaries...they are both known for being very private. They wouldn't open up about her just for the sake of doing so...neither of them have ever courted the media.

LaRae

Regardless of much time Diana spent with her children, it is obvious from her children's perspective, it was quality time well spent so that they have those extremely fond memories now.

A decent historian can have biases too, no matter how many second and third party sources they may have. After years of reading from the perspective of the so called historians, biographers, friends of the ex, friends of the mistress, ex employees of the palaces, disgruntled staff, overnight journalists, former friends etc, I'm looking forward to Diana's children's perspective.

IMO, having a second party describe Diana's love for her children is completely different from the children describing how they felt on the receiving end of that love. My own father can describe how his wife loves her children, as the child, I can tell you how I really feel having a loving mother, no buts about it.

As discussed over the last couple of weeks, it seems again there is a preference for some to not want to hear directly from a real source, that is William and Harry; some prefer to hear from the so-called experts and their secret sources, as if those so-called insiders don't also have an agenda. Thank you William and Harry for being a direct source, even if it makes the 'middle-people' and their followers uncomfortable.

I'm looking forward to hearing her sons talk about their mother and the love they shared. There are some sick hate filled people that can't stand to hear any good about Diana. Maybe they need to take a break from their hate for a few weeks.

I will watch this program that features William and Harry's spoken opinions. I'll see it as the views of two young men who were bereaved as boys and what they remember of the mother they loved. It's a personal retrospection on their parts, and as such is subjective. One's memories are simply one's memories, affected as they are by the passing of time and the greater understanding that comes with adulthood. :flowers:

Channel Seven just promoted it Curryong, saying they will be broadcasting it "soon".

(This is in Australia.)

See the poster for the new Princess Diana Doc

HBO Documentary Diana, Our Mother First Look - Princess Diana HBO Documentary Poster

Adorable Princess Diana pictured in cute childhood photos

Young *Diana in pictures: Adorable photos of young Princess of Wales | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

THE Royal family sent money for a new prosthesis for a land mine victim of the Bosnian war after Diana died, fulfilling the wishes of the late princess.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...a-Bosnia-landmine-victim-promise-Royal-family

The photo that reveals the real Diana: TV's Natasha Kaplinsky says picture of princess with young Wills and Harry is her favorite of eight iconic photos in radio series looking at Diana's life and death

The photo that reveals the REAL Diana | Daily Mail Online

French not planning to commemorate 20th anniversary of her death

Princess Diana: French not planning to commemorate 20th anniversary | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

The dress designer of Princess Diana's wedding dress Elizabeth Emmanuel has said that Princess Diana was not nervous on her wedding day to Prince Charles.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/20...s-dianas-wedding-dress-designer-no-nerves-on/

After her royal tour of India, Princess Diana corresponded with four-year-old Avanti Reddy from Hyderabad and even sent her an autographed photo

Meet the Indian girl, now 28, Diana called 'my daughter | Daily Mail Online

People walk around the "Flamme de la Liberté" (Liberty Flame), an original monument Princess Diana fans turned into a commemoration stele, in Paris on august 14, 2017.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/5903778

"Hoatson, an alumni director for Keiser University, is now owner of an extensive collection of items related to Princess Di and the royal family, filling his Fort Lauderdale home with more than 13,000 pieces. In 2011, a museum valued the collection at $500,000."

Florida man has some of Princess Di's wedding cake, plus 13,000 other royal items (w/photos) | Tampa Bay Times

Last edited by a moderator:
Australian Channel Seven will be screening the new Diana documentary next Sunday night - on their "Sunday Night" program.

And Australian Diana fans with access to the Sydney newspaper, "Sunday Telegraph" -

- from next Sunday, there will be the first of a seven-part commemorative magazine collection, celebrating Diana's legacy, with the paper.

Last edited:
Considering that the boys were both away at boarding schools by the time of the War of the Wales and the subsequent divorce, it makes sense to me that they felt they never had enough time with either parent.

Back
Top Bottom