Shortest Royal Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In June 1541 Jeanne d'Albret the future Queen of Navarre and the only niece of the French king was forced to marry William, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg as part of a political marriage .However Jeanne literally had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar and signed several documents out lining her protests.
The marriage which was never consummated was annulled by the Pope in 1545.

I dont think they lived together at all....

I dont think they lived together at all....

No Jeanne was only 12 at the time and had her own household in Paris ,but it showed at that young age the iron will of the future queen of Navarre .To defy her parents and uncle the French king even at the prospect of being whipped into line she still protested with great vigor.

I'm re-reading parts of Jeanne's biography and the French king sent the Cardinal de Tournon to Jeanne de Navarre to threaten her that he'd have her locked up in a convent for life is she continued to object to the marriage.

The Princess replied to the Cardinal that she would 'rather die than marry the Duke of Cleves' .

The king then sent the Cardinal of Lorraine to resolve this 'awkward situation' and Jeanne was still defiant she would not marry. In the end she was used as a Royal Pawn by her uncle to make peace with the Empire and her parents supported the French king possibly with the prospect of a French invasion to retake Southern Navarre being offered as an incentive.

Last edited:
did she married later on with some one elsse?

Well, yes, she married prince Antoine de Bourbon and five children, only two of them living more than two years. Her surviving son became King Henri IV of France.

did she married later on with some one elsse?

Yes Jeanne d'Albret married Antoine de Bourbon, Duke of Vendôme a French Prince of the Blood in 1548 ,their son was Henri IV of France.

Well, yes, she married prince Antoine de Bourbon and five children, only two of them living more than two years. Her surviving son became King Henri IV of France.

Yes 2 of Jeanne and Antoine's children survived

Henri III/IV King of Navarre and later King of France (1553-1610)
Catherine de Bourbon, Duchess of Lorraine (1559-1604)

Back
Top Bottom