King Hussein: Articles, Interviews & Speeches

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jorja Fox said:
Here are pics of the late King with his ham Radios! Faisal and Abdullah used it too!:eek:
last year I was thinking of joining a project in USA to connect these kinds of radio to the internet, people there tried to convince me to do so by telling me that it was a hoppy of king hussain and that they know people from America and all over the world who had chatted with king hussain and how much were happy that , and when I couldn't work with them they again sent me a letter, with a note at the bottom : king hussain used to like this...:p

Interesting. I wonder how much they expect to raise from proceeds........is it a perpetual exhibit? Maybe they should do a Princess Diana and auction some off for charitable causes....

Was the "love bug"--the Volkswagen KH/QN drove around Minnesota while he was at Mayo on display....he insisted it be shipped home....wonder where it is now.
queenkat101 said:
I was in Jordan recently and I went to a public exhibit of King Hussein's car collection. It was shocking and baffling, the hundreds of rare and priceless cars and motorcylces. Millions and Millions of dollars worth of vehicles were in there. I recall a couple of Lambourghini's, dozens of cars from all eras, all models, colours, some had very interesting past owners, too. Some signs stated that in the case of some they were gifts, mostly from Princes of Gulf States. Plus there were the cars used on state occasions (like Hamzah's wedding) in addition to private vehicles and also little toy cars used by the Princes when they were little. I was actually quite shocked that they were put on display, because it shows just how much money was spent on frivilous things, like all those cars. It made me outraged, and I can just imagine what the average Jordanian might feel about it. I don't see how any royal family could justify the waste of money that was evident in that exhibit. And just to think that was only a fraction of the overall collection.

In terms of who owns them, I remember seeing signs posted saying something to the extent of "Prince Hamzah has graciously loaned this motorcylce for the exhibit", but that was only on a few of the items. I think it is all owned by King Abdullah. What his point was to have such an exhibit, I don't know.... was it to initimidate people by a show of his wealth and power? Does he actually believe that it is some sort of display of Jordan's History? Or was it just a pointless move that will later back-fire on him? Who knows.... but in terms of me, I was impressed by the beauty of the cars, but not by the people who bought them.... made me think a bit less of the royal family. I just cannot justify that spending.

He was so open to so many things--including music. While introducing Noor to his favorites, she introduced him to American rock and roll and country music. Apparently, she used it to pump her energy levels up before engagements.
Jorja Fox said:
Gee,what a pitty,missed it.Didn't know KH liked Sabah,I know he loved Fairouz,gave her awards.At his wedding to QD,he brought Farid Al Atrash,I have a rare cassett of the wedding where Farid sang to them and then said "Long live KH,long live QD,long live QZ!" His taste in music is amazing,wonder if he likes Um Kulthoum,she's my fave.

Anniversary of King Hussein's Death

Jordanians today mark the sixth anniversary of the passing of His Majesty King Hussein.

King Hussein, a direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammad, was born on Nov. 15, 1935 as the eldest son of King Talal and Queen Zein Al Sharaf. He was proclaimed King on May 2, 1952 at the age of 18.

Throughout his five-decade rule, the late King worked hard to raise the living standards of his people and during his reign infant mortality declined by 50 per cent and literacy rose by nearly 160 per cent. He also struggled tirelessly to promote peace in the Middle East and help the Palestinian people regain their legitimate rights, playing a key role in the 1991 Madrid Peace Conference. The late King's commitment to democracy, civil liberties and human rights helped make Jordan a model state in the region.

Feb. 7 also marks the day King Abdullah assumed his constitutional powers. His Majesty has continued his father's legacy, placing great emphasis on improving the economy whilst promoting democratic institutions and political pluralism. Their Majesties King Abdullah and Queen Rania married on June 10, 1993 and have two sons and two daughters. Their newborn son, Prince Hashem, was born on Jan. 30 the King's birthday.

Monday, February 7, 2005

http://www.jordantimes.com/mon/homenews/homenews2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a the remarks of President Carter and then KH during a Jordanian state visit to the U.S. It is cute.

Visit of King Hussein of Jordan Toasts at the State Dinner. June 17, 1980

Contents Public Papers of Jimmy Carter Public Papers of Jimmy Carter

THE PRESIDENT. A lot of people have accused me of inviting Their Majesties to Washington just so we could have Queen Noor visit the White House. [Laughter] That's not entirely accurate, because there are many reasons why we should want His Majesty, King Hussein, to come back to visit with us, as well as his beautiful bride and the new mother of his new child, to come with her parents and her brothers and sisters and to be with us this evening. It's a delightful experience for us, and her presence vividly demonstrates the close relationship and the unbreakable ties between our two countries.

The first time that King Hussein came to visit a President of the United States was in 1960, when President Eisenhower lived in this home. And he's been here many times since, a great leader, one who represents accurately the courage and the dynamism and the commitment and the progress of the people of Jordan.

He has led his nation over more than a quarter of a century, in good times and in dangerous times, in successful times and in disappointing times, but always with a deep commitment to what's best for his own people and the preservation of stability and peace and the honoring of human rights not only in Jordan but throughout the Middle East.

He's indeed been an inspiration to many people who have served as the leaders of other nations. This is a troubled time in the history of the world, and to have a leader like him, still young, but with deep experience, reaching out his hand of friendship and peace to those neighbors of Jordan who look to him with confidence and with admiration, is reassuring to us all.

We share a great deal in common—a commitment to the integrity of international boundaries; a commitment to the unity of nations in the Middle East, to the preservation of peace, to the security of all, and to the enhancement of those principles which guide human beings and which never change. But, at the same time, he has exhibited to a remarkable degree an ability to ensure economic progress and utilization of modern science and technology to give his people a better life.

King Hussein is a good counselor and adviser for other leaders of nations who meet with him. And although sometimes our two nations do disagree on the technique for achieving a goal, we share completely a common commitment to the same goals—to the realization of the full rights of the Palestinian people, to the security of Israel and all the nations in the Middle East, to the honoring of deep religious feelings, and to the knowledge that people of good will ultimately, with courage and with perseverance, sometimes with patience, can triumph.

We have had good discussions so far today—much better than would have been expected—because of his frankness and because of his generosity, his eagerness to understand different points of view without yielding at all on the deep principles which have guided his life and which he holds so dear. We have expressed our concern about aggression demonstrated by the Soviets' invasion of Afghanistan. We've expressed our concern about international terrorism, exhibited in Iran with the unwarranted holding of innocent Americans hostage for many months, and we've expressed our commitment to stability in the Persian Gulf region and to peace in the Middle East.

I would like to say in closing that because of his own leadership and because of geographical circumstances of his own nation, Jordan will indeed play a central role in the realization of the hopes and dreams of all who want peace and stability and freedom and security in the Middle East.

At this time, I would like to propose a toast, if you will stand and join me. To Their Majesties, King Hussein and Queen Noor, to the friendship which binds our two nations and our two people together, and to the commitment to peace and the enhancement of human rights and a better life for all those of faith and good will everywhere throughout the world.

THE KING. Mr. President, Mrs. Carter, ladies and gentlemen, my good friends:

I'd like to thank you, sir, for your kind and warm words of friendship towards both Noor and I, towards a friendship that I value, towards the ties and relations that have grown between our two nations over many years, and through good and difficult times, the ties that we treasure, for the fact that there are links of people who uphold the same ideals and principles and are dedicated towards fulfilling the same objectives for a better tomorrow which, hopefully, will bring a preservation of dignity to human beings, peace, justice, and a better life.

It's true, sir, I have had the privilege of visiting the United States over many years. I'm a firm believer and have always been dedicated to the cause of friendship between our people, a better understanding, and I'm proud to have been able to serve this objective and will continue to do so to the end of my days.

Throughout these many years and many occasions, I've had the privilege of meeting with leaders of this great Nation. I said it today, and I've said it often: throughout all these meetings, none gave me more of his time to discuss the problems of our part of the world and indicated as much of an interest in the problems that we face in the area from which I came and the determination to contribute towards solutions to those problems as have your good selves.

It is true that we may have differences in approach, but we respect your dedication to the cause of peace in our part of the world. It's a dedication that we share. We look into the future with hope, with determination, to contribute our full share for the establishment of a just and durable peace in the Middle East which will affect not only those who live there but future generations there and elsewhere in the world.

We thank you for the opportunity to be with you, to have this opportunity to discuss our problems, to discuss all matters as friends, as brethren, and I'm convinced that this opportunity will enable us to address ourselves more adequately to the challenge in the times to come. We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and warmth with which we have been received once again, almost at home and amongst friends.

Thank you very much, sir, from both Noor, myself, and all who accompanied me from Jordan on this visit to the United States. May God bless you; may your efforts always meet with success in the times to come. Thank you, Mr. Carter.

Ladies and gentlemen, please, I call upon you to rise and join me in drinking a toast to the President and Mrs. Carter, to the United States, to friendship and fruitful cooperation in serving our mutual and common objectives. To peace and a better future.

THE PRESIDENT. Thank you very much.

NOTE: The President spoke at 8:08 p.m. in the State Dining Room at the White House.

Source: Federal Register Division. National Archives and Records Service, Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States, Jimmy Carter, 1980-1981 (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1956-), pp.1125-1127

Copyright 2001, Western Standard Publishing Company. All Rights Reserved.

Better days...

Remarks at the State Dinner for King Hussein of Jordan and Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin of Israel, July 25, 1994

ContentsWeekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, 1994 Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, 1994

Your Majesties, Prime Minister and Mrs. Rabin, all our distinguished guests: Welcome to the White House. Today we have seen history in the making. And tonight we celebrate this marvelous occasion with King Hussein and Prime Minister Rabin and to all of you who for so long have supported their efforts for peace.

It's a special pleasure for Hillary and for me to welcome Queen Noor and Mrs. Rabin who, in their devotion to the health and the well-being of the children of their nations, prove that the quest for peace is not the only cause that knows no borders.

Today's signing of the Washington Declaration is the handiwork of many. But it is safe to say we would not be here tonight were it not for the persistent and far-sighted efforts of Crown Prince Hassan, Foreign Minister Peres, and our Secretary of State, Warren Christopher. I want to express my special gratitude to Secretary Christopher, who has brought such great energy and devotion to this task, and to applaud all three gentlemen for their efforts.

The Washington Declaration is a blueprint, both inspiring and practical, a foundation for lasting peace between two peoples who have been divided for too long. It is also clearly a personal tribute to two brave leaders, both called upon at a young age to shoulder enormous responsibilities, one to be a king, the other a defender of his people, brought together now at long last in the common cause of peace.

King Hussein, tonight we recall again the legacy of your grandfather and mentor, King Abdullah, a man who dreamed that one day, on both sides of the River Jordan, Arab and Jew could live together in peace and who lost his life for that dream of peace. At the age of 17, when most of us were still in school, you were left to shoulder the great weight of leading your people.

In the 42 years that have passed, you have led your kingdom through the stormy waters of the Middle East. You have improved the lives of your people and endowed your nation with a spirit of tolerance, civility, and compromise. You've built bridges between the Arab world and the United States through your actions as an advocate for stability and through your marriage to the Queen, herself a daughter of Americans who came from the Arab world. For that, we, sir, are in your debt.

And today you have moved to erase the divisions between the people of the two sides of the River Jordan. Tonight it can truly be said that you have fulfilled the legacy of King Abdullah.

Mr. Prime Minister, tonight we honor you, a son of the land of Israel. Your parents, Nehemia and Rosa, were among the first pioneers who came to Palestine. And like so many others of their generation, they devoted their lives to building a national home for the Jewish people.

Schooled in the science of agriculture, you once planned to devote your life to making the fields and deserts of Israel come alive. But at the age of 19, you answered the call to join the Palmach, destined to spend your life fighting to establish and defend the nation of Israel.

Now, after a life consumed by a war, you have become the architect of a great peace, building a homeland your parents could only imagine, a peaceful, prosperous land at harmony with its neighbors, a land where a new generation will be free to cast aside its weapons and fulfill your dream to make the valleys and deserts bloom. Tonight we honor you and the fulfillment of your legacy, sir.

These two men have crossed much hostile territory so that their children and their children's children need fight no more. They have earned this peace, and we are all in their debt.

And so, ladies and gentlemen, I ask you to rise and join me in a toast to these men of courage, to their fine families, to the peoples of Jordan and Israel, and to the promise of peace.

Note: The President spoke at 8:36 p.m. in the State Dining Room at the White House.

Source: United States. Executive Office of the President, Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, Week Ending Friday, July 29, 1994 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1995), vol. 30

Copyright 2001, Western Standard Publishing Company. All Rights Reserved.

Huh!:eek:

A LONG ADIEU IN JORDAN?

Perhaps it was fatigue or a touch of Arab fatalism, but Jordan's King Hussein seemed to be preparing his countrymen for the worst when he addressed them about his battle with cancer. ``The life of a vibrant nation,'' he said, ``cannot be measured by the life of any individual.'' His recent kidney surgery was thought to be a success, but he may be planning to abdicate in favor of his younger brother, Crown Prince Hassan. The departure of Hussein, 57, who has ruled for 40 years, would deal a heavy blow to the Middle East peace process. Of all Israel's neighbors, Jordan appears most eager to cut a deal. Hassan has poor relations with Palestinian Jordanians, and he may be too weak to resist hard-line pressures from fundamentalists at home and from neighboring Syria and Iraq. The word from Washington and Jerusalem: Hang on, Hussein.

Picture: King Hussein (Yousef Allan -- AP)

Copyright 1990 the U.S. News & World Report, L.P. All rights reserve

Reina said:
Huh!:eek:

A LONG ADIEU IN JORDAN?

Perhaps it was fatigue or a touch of Arab fatalism, but Jordan's King Hussein seemed to be preparing his countrymen for the worst when he addressed them about his battle with cancer. ``The life of a vibrant nation,'' he said, ``cannot be measured by the life of any individual.'' His recent kidney surgery was thought to be a success, but he may be planning to abdicate in favor of his younger brother, Crown Prince Hassan. The departure of Hussein, 57, who has ruled for 40 years, would deal a heavy blow to the Middle East peace process. Of all Israel's neighbors, Jordan appears most eager to cut a deal. Hassan has poor relations with Palestinian Jordanians, and he may be too weak to resist hard-line pressures from fundamentalists at home and from neighboring Syria and Iraq. The word from Washington and Jerusalem: Hang on, Hussein.

Picture: King Hussein (Yousef Allan -- AP)

Copyright 1990 the U.S. News & World Report, L.P. All rights reserve

What did you find so surprising about the above news?

That he was considering abdicating. I just never knew this.

Back
Top Bottom