Alia and Noor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryshawn

Serene Highness
City
Green Bay
Country
United States
Alia and Noor Resemblance

attachment.php

Well, I'm trying....here is Queen Alia in 76/77; next photo will be Noor, then Lisa Halaby around the same timeframe.

Attachments

• 000_KINGHUSSAN001.jpg
    000_KINGHUSSAN001.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 11,254
Lisa Halaby.....still trying to get actual image.....

jpg.gif
KINGHUSSAN001.jpg

Well, got Alia; Lisa is much more problematic.....but will keep trying!

Attachments

• KINGHUSSAN001.jpg
    KINGHUSSAN001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 663
Hi Mary Shawn...thanks for posting the pictures...I have looked at them, but outside of their hair, I don't see any resemblance between the two. In fact, QN looks much better today than she did in that particular picture. I don't know...I just can't see a resemblance. Maybe it's just me though.:)

Images similar or not?

Oh, I agree with that!!!! Poor Queen Alia side by side because of my awful posting doesn't look same as in photos.....hair is same but in magazine their features are similar......at least I think so. QN has had some work done and stylists definitely did a great job turning her into a stunning woman. This was a 77 photo before they had begun their work.....au naturel as it were. They're both lovely women in their own rights though. Thank you for your input!
sommone said:
Hi Mary Shawn...thanks for posting the pictures...I have looked at them, but outside of their hair, I don't see any resemblance between the two. In fact, QN looks much better today than she did in that particular picture. I don't know...I just can't see a resemblance. Maybe it's just me though.:)

maryshawn said:
Oh, I agree with that!!!! Poor Queen Alia side by side because of my awful posting doesn't look same as in photos.....hair is same but in magazine their features are similar......at least I think so. QN has had some work done and stylists definitely did a great job turning her into a stunning woman. This was a 77 photo before they had begun their work.....au naturel as it were. They're both lovely women in their own rights though. Thank you for your input!

Your welcome...I agree that they both are/were beautiful in their own rights. What kind of work did QN have done?

Last edited:
Noor: Work done?

If you look carefully at other photos I am trying to add during her early years, her nose seems streamlined. QA's was not; hence, some resemblance in earlier years there. Thank goodness, her lip collagen phase seems to have come and gone or been modified so they look more normal. In earlier shots, her lips are thinner. She was quoted as saying both she and KH participated in some face exercising program to enhance cheekbones and generally give more youthful appearance. Like Jackie Onassis, she seems to have had some "freshening up" around eyes w/in past few years. And a really great "stylist" can work wonders! Look at all the Hollywood "stars" and even late Princess Diana. They took her from her preference NOT to wear makeup to wearing it well, made her hair more lustruous with highlighting and selected a lovely wardrobe enhancing her overall "look." It's amazing what they can do!

sommone said:
Your welcome...I agree that they both are/were beautiful in their own rights. What kind of work did QN have done?

Also, the photos I hope to post from Royal Jordanian Airline show a rather plain woman--no, plain isn't the word--unsophisticated in terms of "look" would be better. Her makeup was very minimal, her clothing was not her--very, very simple and at times unflattering w/bold plaids and such, and her hair was so often slicked back into ponytails which made her look not at all as lovely as it is now or in subsequent years.

hmm...
I see no resemblance at all.
I've seen early tv footage of both Noor and Alia and I dont think they look alike.
Queen Alia had very arab/middle eastern features, esp. the eyes. She also had the cute dimples and a totally different smile.
Queen Noor is also pretty, but in a different way. She's got more western features.

Attachments

• a166 copy.JPG
    a166 copy.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 889
  • Alia.JPG
    Alia.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 895
~*~Humera~*~ said:
hmm...
I see no resemblance at all.
I've seen early tv footage of both Noor and Alia and I dont think they look alike.
Queen Alia had very arab/middle eastern features, esp. the eyes. She also had the cute dimples and a totally different smile.
Queen Noor is also pretty, but in a different way. She's got more western
features.
wow queen Alia is more beautiful than QNoor she looks great with her simple smile wow and her eyes just wonderfull

you only see the resemblence in black&white old pics,in these 2 pictures you'd see that they dont look alike,queen noor is a typical blond western womwn while it's clear that alia's eastern ethnic

Attachments

• 0000288685-046.jpg
    0000288685-046.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 149[1].jpg
    149[1].jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,267
Last edited:
Resemblances

Dear,
With your permission I want to tell you tajt in my opinion both queens are very different. Queen Noor has Lebanon roots but in fact they don't appear on her face. In the oposite side, the died Queen Alia was palestinian and you can see this characteristic on her.
Sol

Haya looks exaclty like alia. It could be her!!! Both very beautiful!!

Thank you for feedback AND more photos!!!

:) Well, I seem to be outvoted on this one. In color, the definitely look different. The "People" article I got photos from caption the Lisa Halaby photo with "note resemblance to Queen Alia." And I did. But it was while looking at article and full-size images.....both had similar hair, both had that kind of gentle small smile, their noses--this was before QN had work done seemed similar.......Just my opinion but understand all of yours, too. IF I ever get that article published w/early photos of QN right after Hamzah's birth, the resemblance is not there. In fact, I would say the resemblance between QN then and now is not there, either. We all seem--well the majority at least--to think QN evolved into a beautiful dresser. In these photos, it looks exactly like what she described in her book about sending staffer to designers and THEY chose her wardrobe. It just isn't "her." And it's obvious the Parisian hairstylist she found in the 80s and hired for herself hadn't yet gotten ahold of her. (source: Washingtonian magazine). Her hair became so thick and lustruous later on......but in early shots, it seemed thin and rather limp. She was still pretty though. I really want you all to see photo of her w/Hamzah on her lap and arms around Haya and Ali, who were holding onto Hamzah. Nothing controversial about this one: It''s just so darn loving and cute!

I wonder if she thought QA was very beautiful too--as in, like the rest of us--and tried to get her "look." Her earlier designers were those used by QA she points out in her book. I do wish she had said more about her one meeting with QA at the airport in terms of impressions.

sol_anglada said:
Dear,
With your permission I want to tell you tajt in my opinion both queens are very different. Queen Noor has Lebanon roots but in fact they don't appear on her face. In the oposite side, the died Queen Alia was palestinian and you can see this characteristic on her.
Sol
Really? Since Palestinians and Jordanians are exactly the same ethinic group, what are you talking about?

Yes

Well, you know that in spite of having lebanon roots in fact Queen Noor parents were American. In my opinion Queen Noor, very beatiful, of course could be consider, acording her face as American, Canadin or European.
Sol

There is no resemblance, IMO. However, I don't think that either woman is more beautiful than the other. Queen Alis possessed a unique beauty as does Queen Noor. They each simply have their own things about them that make them beautiful.

Queen Alia/Queen Noor First Meeting

In her autobiography, QN writes of meeting her father in Amman to welcome first jumbo jet to Royal Jordanian Airline. While grainy, this image shows (l-r) QA, KH, Najeeb Halaby and his daughter, Lisa. About a year later, Lisa would become Queen Noor after Queen Alia died in a helicopter crash.

Image will be in next post--sorry for the confusion; it would not allow public viewing....

Last edited:
When did Lisa Halaby traveled to Jordan first?

This was in 1976, the year before QA died. I wish she had written more--Noor, I mean--in her autobiography about Alia and her thoughts and impressions......it might have been hard but it would have been so interesting.

THANK GOD YOU CAN OPEN THE PHOTO!!!!! I am trying to clean up!

Mary Shawn
nilah said:
When did Lisa Halaby traveled to Jordan first?

Good question. Alia was born in Dec. 1948; Noor was born in Aug. 1951, I believe. So a 3 year age difference--not much. Alia was 28 when she died in Feb. 1977; Noor was 26 when she married in June 1978.
sommone said:
Hey MS, isn't Alia only a few years older than Noor?

Best I Can Do

attachment.php

Here is best I can do with photo. I hope it helps. If anyone would like, I can email to them and they can play around to try and get clearer image.

Attachments

• airport.jpg
    airport.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,286
Wasn't the 1st time KH and QN met was at the airport? I thought he asked her for dinner right after.

Well, it was the first time they met. Najeeb Halaby was an official consultant to the Royal Jordanian Airline and a close friend of KH. His daughter had finished her work in Iran and was on her way to the US where she had applied for journalism at Columbia University. She agreed to meet her dad for the ceremony.....leading to the meeting. QA was alive at the time and, while they exchanged greetings, the future QN only got to know KH when she dropped the notion of University and accepted a job arranged by her dad at the Royal Jordanian Airlines in PR, I think. The King was often around.....they met again and again with "hi" and "goodbye"---and then he asked her to consult on Al Nadwa, the royal palace, about some architecural flaws (that was her first degree) and one thing led to another......that first meeting lasted 6 hours....and weeks later, their engagement was announced.
Reina said:
Wasn't the 1st time KH and QN met was at the airport? I thought he asked her for dinner right after.

By the way, this photo was obtained from the Silver Jubilee issue of the Royal Jordanian Airlines. It featured QA too and mentioned she had recently died. I was unsure it was the future Noor till watching a documentary which zoomed in and said "here is Alia and here is Lisa Halaby with her dad."

maryshawn said:
By the way, this photo was obtained from the Silver Jubilee issue of the Royal Jordanian Airlines. It featured QA too and mentioned she had recently died. I was unsure it was the future Noor till watching a documentary which zoomed in and said "here is Alia and here is Lisa Halaby with her dad."
thanx, Mary, I think the 2 Ladies are not similar at all, I liked Alia, but Noor is different, though she has changed alot from the time she 1st met KH-

Yes, I just read that book recommended by another member on Arabic women in general; QN in particular. In the beginning she was welcomed readily as she presented an image of simplicity with her rather lank hair, minimal makeup and very simple clothing and minimal jewelry--like a simple gold heart bracelet, gold studs and that was it. THEN the stylists got ahold of her and suddenly it was like QR is experiencing--haute couture, glossy hairdos, expensive jewels, etc. This gave the Jordanians a different, not nearly as nice an impression of her. Suddenly, she was just another glamorous jet-setter--or seemed so according to those interviewed in the book. She regained her footing and, while remains beautiful, paired her wardrobe down to casual jeans made in Jordan, caftans and other gowns made by jordanian designers, and, yes, she shopped from "Spiegel," "Talbots," and other catalogs for simple skirts and shirts and shoes. Her jewels were paired down a bit and she began sporting turkish evil eye bracelets, which you can get quite inexpensively (I found one just like the blue one she wears for less than $100), bracelets from her children, allah pendants and far less elaborate attire. She also began to incorporate the use of scarves, not just for wearing in mosques (and I apologize for not knowing correct name). The things which remain consistent are the evil eye bracelet, from her publisher, and her husband's ring on her pinky finger. I think this simplicity only enhances her beauty. As one gets older, many fashionistas recommend less is more--but whatever is driving her style, I find it very becoming. I like what she said not long ago: "Many countries' royals wear attire made by their country's designers---like Princess Diana at first. When I became Queen, there were not many designers but now I rely on several and hope I am promoting their work globally just as Diana did so they receive their due."

You know what I wish--despite loving QN. That QA had altered her plans and decided to stay at the home in Aqaba after her hurried visit to a hospital there to ensure patients were receiving good care........She knew a sandstorm was brewing and could be severe. Why oh why did she decide to fly into it? It was like the famous 30s and 40s actress wife of Clark Gable, Carole Lombard. When WWII began, she was the first "star" to go on a fundraising mission for the troups. She left by train but, overrode her mother and publicist's concerns, and insisted on flying home--even though it meant displacing some soldiers as the plane was smaller......her plane crashed into a mountain outside of Las Vegas and she died at age 33. It seemed so unnecessary, like QA. While he married twice more and loved his last wife with whom he had his only child, his widow respected his wishes and buried him beside Carole Lombard--his dying request. It would have been nice if KH had been buried next to QA--at the very least, in that mosque, the children's visits would be even more private and it would've given them some comfort I believe. Just my thoughts.........ever the romantic, I guess!
tipper said:
thanx, Mary, I think the 2 Ladies are not similar at all, I liked Alia, but Noor is different, though she has changed alot from the time she 1st met KH-

I'm so sorry for being such a dodo bird, but can you point out to me which one is Queen Alia and which one is Lisa Halaby and her father? Thanks..

i read the book, too.

but i still raise a fairly skeptical eyebrow to the timing. she consults on the king's palace and 6wks later she is his bride.

sure, if that is what you want to believe....:rolleyes:

maryshawn said:
Well, it was the first time they met. Najeeb Halaby was an official consultant to the Royal Jordanian Airline and a close friend of KH. His daughter had finished her work in Iran and was on her way to the US where she had applied for journalism at Columbia University. She agreed to meet her dad for the ceremony.....leading to the meeting. QA was alive at the time and, while they exchanged greetings, the future QN only got to know KH when she dropped the notion of University and accepted a job arranged by her dad at the Royal Jordanian Airlines in PR, I think. The King was often around.....they met again and again with "hi" and "goodbye"---and then he asked her to consult on Al Nadwa, the royal palace, about some architecural flaws (that was her first degree) and one thing led to another......that first meeting lasted 6 hours....and weeks later, their engagement was announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom