The Duke and Duchess of Vendôme: June 2009-Feb 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Royal Highness Princess Louise-Marguerite Eléonore Marie d'Orléans was baptized last Sunday. Instead of a ceremony at the Chapelle Royale in Dreux, the parents opted for a simple baptism during the regular Sunday Mass in the local parish of Dreux (Église Saint-Pierre). Père Jean-Marie Lioult, the local priest, officiated the service and baptised the royal infant.

The godparents were:
la princesse Sibilla de Luxembourg, princesse de Nassau née Weiller y Torlonia
la princesse Margaretha von and zu Liechtenstein née princesse de Luxembourg, princesse de Nassau
l'archiduc Michael d'Autriche
le prince Alvaro d'Orléans-Bourbon
Mre Philippe d'Albert de Luynes, 13ème duc de Luynes et de Chevreuse

Assistants at the ceremony were:
la princesse Marie Thérèse de Württemberg, Duchesse de Montpensier (grandmother)
la princesse Blanche d'Orléans, mademoiselle de Valois (aunt)
le prince Eudes d'Orléans, Duc d'Angoulême (uncle)
la princesse Marie-Liesse d'Orléans née De Rohan-Chabot (aunt)

The parents of the royal Infant declared: "Gaston was baptized in our parish church in Paris, Antoinette in Vienna, where we resided at the time. We are now located in Dreux, it was fitting that Louise-Marguerite was baptized in our parish church. The wish of Princess Philomena to see her daughter being surrounded by the Drouais (= the people of Dreux) during her entry into the Catholic Church has been fulfilled: many faithful were at Holy Mass yesterday morning".

The event was held in a fun and relaxed atmosphere but also with due solemnity. After the Mass and the end of the sacrament of baptism, the faithful were delighted with the offered dragées (sugary almond sweets, traditional for baptisms). Doña María-Magdalena de Tornos y Steinhart, sister of Princess Philomena, was introduced to M Olivier Marleix (the Representative for Eure-et-Loir), to M Gérard Hamel (the Mayor of Dreux) as well to anonymous parishioners.

Both the name and the birthplace of Princess Louise-Marguerite were well-chosen: this year is the 800th anniversary of the birth of Saint Louis (Louis IX de Bourbon, Roi de France). This King was married to Marguérite de Procence. And the Princess’ birthplace, Poissy, was also the birthplace of Saint Louis.

Pic from L'Echo: http://www.lechorepublicain.fr/phot...8f0HY_sxYvETMFwM2diAkJo-_/louise_1725986.jpeg

Her Royal Highness Princess Louise-Marguerite Eléonore Marie d'Orléans was baptized last Sunday. Instead of a ceremony at the Chapelle Royale in Dreux, the parents opted for a simple baptism during the regular Sunday Mass in the local parish of Dreux (Église Saint-Pierre). Père Jean-Marie Lioult, the local priest, officiated the service and baptised the royal infant.

The godparents were:
la princesse Margaretha von and zu Liechtenstein née princesse de Luxembourg, princesse de Nassau
Not Princess Margaretha of Liechtstein, née Luxembourg
but
Princess Marguerite of Liechtenstein, a niece of Prince Jean

Not Princess Margaretha of Liechtstein, née Luxembourg but Princess Marguerite of Liechtenstein, a niece of Prince Jean

Oh yes, I forgot about Prince Jean's eldest sister whom married Prince Gundakar von und zu Liechtenstein. I already thought: I don't see Margaretha at all... only an unknown young girl. I stand corrected!

Thanks for the enlightment. I love it that the Prince and Princess keep their children connected with royalty and nobility.

Prince Gaston
l'archiduchesse Astrid d'Autriche-Este née princesse de Belgique
Mme María-Magdalena de Tornos y Steinhart
Mme María de los Dolores Churruca y de Zubiría, comtesse de El Abra
le prince Carlos de Bourbon des Deux Siciles, duc de Castro
le prince Eudes d'Orléans, duc d'Angoulême
Mre François-Pierre de Feydeau, comte de Feydeau de Saint-Christophe

Princess Antoinette
la princesse Leopoldine von and zu Liechtenstein
la baronne Dominique Bourgnon de Layre née comtesse Ladislaja von Nostitz-Rieneck
Mme Francesca Lopez de la Osa
le comte Damien de Schönborn-Buchheim
M David Tornos y Steinhart
M Leopoldo Gavito

Princess Louise-Marguerite
la princesse Margaretha von and zu Liechtenstein (cousine)

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Last edited:
Isn't it usual for catholics to have only one godfather and one godmother?

Isn't it usual for catholics to have only one godfather and one godmother?

Yes, traditionally one godfather (parrain) and one godmother (marraine), these also have a role during the First Holy Communion and the Confirmation. So to see for all three children the godparents have been chosen from the maternal and paternal families, from other royal Houses and from friends (often the aristocracy).

Correction on the name of the Duc de Luynes, the full name is Philippe Jean Paul Marie Raymond d'Albert de Luynes Dunois, 17e duc de Chevreuse, 13e duc de Luynes. The father of the present Duke was the president of the Fondation Saint-Louis, created by the previous Comte de Paris. The foundation is aimed to preserve the patrimonium of the House d'Orléans.

:flowers:

The Duc de Luynes was also Pair de France, like in my nickname

Last edited:
Thanks to those who posted the photos and information on the christening. :flowers: Little Princess Louise-Marguerite is adorable, as are her elder siblings. I love how everyone seemed to be delighted with her. I agree moonmaiden23, they are a lovely little family. I found it interesting that the priest lifted her up in the air, is that customary in France? I haven't seen that done at any other royal christenings in the past. IIRC in most christenings over here, the parents hold the child themselves whilst the vicar/priest pours the holy water over their head.

I like Picture 3 with the young boy holding the candle.
Very serene!!

"The young boy" would be Prince Gaston of Orléans, Princess Louise-Marguerite's elder brother. For future reference, the little girl is Princess Antoinette, Prince Gaston and Princess Louise-Marguerite's sister. :flowers:

The godparents were:

I had posted this information in my last post on this thread. :flowers: I didn't realise that Alvaro is indeed a Prince - I haven't heard of him before.

I had posted this information in my last post on this thread. :flowers: I didn't realise that Alvaro is indeed a Prince - I haven't heard of him before.

I am not sure he is a Prince or not. The information comes from this site: La princesse Louise-Marguerite de France a été baptisée à Dreux

It is the same as with the De Bourbon de Parmes, for the Spaniards the last Duke of Parma was simply Don Carlos Hugo de Borbón-Parma y Borbón-Busset and that was it. No Prince and no HRH. For the Dutch and the Luxembourgian Court they are HRH Princes (Princesses) de Bourbon de Parme. The Dutch Royal House also used the titles Duke of Parma and Piacenza: https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuw...-bourbon-de-parme-overleden-18-augustus-2010/

So maybe Don Alvaro is not considered royal in Spain, but his father was the 7th and his elder brother is the 8th Duke of Galliera. I think the French royalists consider him royal because he is a male line royal Bourbon descendant. His great-grandparents were the Infante Alfonso de Orleans y Borbón, 5th Duke of Galliera and Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Princess Louise-Marguerite is going to be hospitalised since she has to undergo surgery:

Préoccupation des ducs de Vendôme

I wonder what happened, it sounds quite serious if she has to be hospitalised for surgery. I hope little Princess Louise-Marguerite recovers quickly.

Happy for them... it seems she stayed in hospital quite a while....

Thank you for the update, Elektra. :flowers: It's good to hear that little Princess Louise-Marguerite has been discharged from hospital. It sounds like her surgery was quite serious, since on the Duke of Vendôme's website it is described as "une opération importante" ("a major operation").

Happy 50th birthday to monseigneur le Duc de Vendôme!

The Duke of Vendome celebrated his fiftieth birthday in Dreux. In connection with his birthday, a mass took place at the Church of Saint Pierre de Dreux. The mass was followed by a reception at the Duke of Vendome's residence which was attended by his close friends and family.

Photos:
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedrtyy.jpg (the Duke of Angoulême, Prince William and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg)
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnameddrrrr.jpg (Prince Pierre and Princess Therese of Orleans with Maurice de Rambuteau)
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedeeeee.jpg
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedjopp.jpg
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedazz.jpg
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedszee1.jpg (the Duke of Angoulême and his family)
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedcvgg.jpg (Princess Leopoldine of Liechtenstein, Princess Blanche of Orelans, Prince Francoise of Orelans and Prince Pierre of Orleans)
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/unnamedikop.jpg (the Duchess of Angoulême and Stéphane Bern)

Les 50 ans du duc de Vendôme célébrés à Dreux

Last edited:
A lovely birthday event. I really like seeing those kind of family events.

Wonderful to see the Dauphin (Prince François, Comte de Clermont) and his sister Princess Blanche attending as well. That is so lovely, the family could have conveniently 'forget' to invite these two. They keep including the two, despite their disabilities. That is so admirable.

What I don't like: the birthday boy was surprised with a large cake, depicting the arms of the Dauphin. I know that Prince Henri first made his second son Jean Regent du Dauphin and years later suddenly bestowed him the title of Dauphin. There was no need for that. They are no reigning family and a restoration is not in sight. Out of politesse and respect for both the person as well the history, Prince Henri could have let his eldest son being the Dauphin, as is his royal birthright. The solution with Prince Jean being the Regent du Dauphin was perfect. Why the need to change?

Now I see Prince Jean cutting a cake with the arms of a Dauphin de France and no, he was imposting his elder brother's arms. I am sorry, these details do matter, to me at least. :)

The arms of a Dauphin de France:
100px-Blason_province_fr_Dauphine.svg.png

Prince Jean should simply have continued with the arms of a Prince d'Orléans, which is the same arms as those of the Kings of France but then with a silver lambel to differentiate it from his father, the Chef de la Maison de France.

The arms of Orléans:
100px-Blason_duche_fr_Orleans_%28moderne%29.svg.png

Last edited:
^^^Pleased to see his siblings there as well. Does anyone know who is in charge of their care?

Prince François, the Dauphin, and Princess Blanche live in an institution in Switzerland. In the holidays and when there are special events, they always stay with their three siblings Prince Jean, Duc de Vendôme, Prince Eudes, Duc de Angoulême and Princess Marie of Liechtenstein.

They seem to go exceptionally well with their sister-in-law Princess Marie-Liesse, née de Rohan-Chabot (Duchesse de Angoulême). Maybe there is someone in the Household whom holds a special eye on the Dauphin and his sister Princess Blanche.

Good to know that they are being cared for and spend time with their siblings especially since their parents are elderly.

:previous: Thank you for sharing. :flowers:

It's lovely that Princess Blanche and her brother Prince François are invited to family gatherings.

I think Princess Antoinette is starting to look a lot like her father. The Duke of Vendôme also resembles his brother, the Duke of Angoulême IMO. It appears that there are some strong resemblances in the family.
Princess Louise Marguerite is adorable.

That looked like a great party in a wonderful park in Dreux. I missed two important persons: the birthday boy's parents...

Where were his father the Comte de Paris, his stepmother the Princesse de Joinville and his mother the Duchesse de Montpensier?

The Duchess of Montpensier was there and seen on a lot of pictures where she is among her 5 Children and with their husband and wifes.

I have seen her now in the second set of pictures posted by Dbarn, (four postings back). Good to see that maman was there. Strange that the Comte de Paris was not there.

:previous: Yes, I agree, it's odd that the Count of Paris was absent. Perhaps he was ill since most of the family (including friends) were at the Duke of Vendômes birthday celebrations. But then again, the Count of Paris's wife wasn't there either...

Is the chateau in the background owned by the family?

Thank you for sharing thiose photos dbarn. Nice to see something of the event.

The man who is sitting behind Princess Blanche in church seems to be Archduke Rudolf (elder brother of AD Carl-Christian).

I suppose that these are the children of the duke and duchess of Angouleme?
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img633/5895/NgGg84.jpg

I can't see anybody of the Orleans family apart from the Duchess of Montpensier and her offspring.

Does anybody know who these ladies are:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img537/1286/xTWrz3.jpg

Thank you for sharing thiose photos dbarn. Nice to see something of the event.

The man who is sitting behind Princess Blanche in church seems to be Archduke Rudolf (elder brother of AD Carl-Christian).

I suppose that these are the children of the duke and duchess of Angouleme?
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img633/5895/NgGg84.jpg

Yes, those are the children of the Duke and Duchess of Angoulême, Princess Therese and Prince Pierre.

I can't see anybody of the Orleans family apart from the Duchess of Montpensier and her offspring.

Does anybody know who these ladies are:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img537/1286/xTWrz3.jpg

The woman in the white shirt is Princess Leopoldine of Liechtenstein, she can also be found in this photo I posted in the Noblesse & Royautes article. I think the woman next to her may be Princess Maria-Immaculata of Liechtenstein, but I'm not sure. :flowers:

:previous: Yes, I agree, it's odd that the Count of Paris was absent. Perhaps he was ill since most of the family (including friends) were at the Duke of Vendômes birthday celebrations. But then again, the Count of Paris's wife wasn't there either...

Is the chateau in the background owned by the family?

In Dreux is the Chapel Royal, build on the remnants of the old mediaeval fortress. There are still fortifications but on the large royal domain there is a pavillion, a logement, which is the residence of the Duc and Duchess de Vendôme. This is the back of that pavillion, so it is bigger than it looks from the 19th C façade: http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/68/Dreux_06_%28RaBoe%29.jpg and http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/photo5.jpg

The main castle owned by the House of Orléans (administered via the Fondation Saint-Louis), is the Château Royal d'Amboise, here functions the "Royal House organization". In Bourbon-l'Archambault the Château and the surrounding domain, one of the eldest Bourbon properties in France, is still owned but it only functions as museum and for tourism. The enormous Château is not habitable.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom