Vatican City State: Pope Benedict XVI, January 2006 - February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Well, he wasn't ever going to confirm it, was he?

Drawing a crowd gets a different meaning...It's never been so busy at St.Peter Square since years on this occasion...The penultimate sunday address.

You will be surprised that also on "normal"Sundays the crowds are very big who listen to the Pope.He is preaching in about seven different languages (some of them he reads from a paper but he´s also fluent in several foreign languages and Latin!)and during the mass people from different countries are cheering or holding up banners. (Containing the place they came from,good wishes for the pope, or anti-abortion slogans) Even if you are not ultra-Catholic it does have a special atmosphere to be there and listen to the mass surounded by people who have travelled a long way to see the pope.But of course his last sunday address was extra-busy and much more crowded than his usual ones:)

It's never been so busy at St.Peter Square since years on this occasion..

Quite the contrary my brother's been on Rome on two sunday's and the crowd had been massive, as have I. I'm quite short so I had to do a lot of squeezing to get a look in.

Drawing a crowd gets a different meaning...It's never been so busy at St.Peter Square since years on this occasion...The penultimate sunday address.

Spotted Spanish,Polish and Irish flags waving in the crowd!

Yes,it´s always very international, a great community!Spanish,Polish and Irish people are ALWAYS there,also many people from Latin America who are deeply religious and the pope´s greatest admirers:)

Quite the contrary my brother's been on Rome on two sunday's and the crowd had been massive, as have I. I'm quite short so I had to do a lot of squeezing to get a look in.

Had to do a lot of squeezing?In the Vatican?...Oh dear,...and they let you go just like that again...hmm...Cardinals these days..:whistling:...

Had to do a lot of squeezing?In the Vatican?...Oh dear,...and they let you go just like that again...hmm...Cardinals these days..:whistling:...

What are you talking about? I don't get it.

What are you talking about? I don't get it.

Playing on your words.. Squeezing the cardinals. Being short like you are I'd probably have to climb a cardinal and stand on his shoulders. :D

There are quite a few reasons for Pope Benedict to reside in the Vatican after he steps down as Pope. From what it states in this article, the question of him living anywhere other than the Vatican is not an option. Very sad but understandable I think. I also noticed that despite the headlines of this article, that reason was the last one listed.

Pope Immunity: Vatican Will Protect Benedict From Sexual Abuse Prosecution

Playing on your words.. Squeezing the cardinals. Being short like you are I'd probably have to climb a cardinal and stand on his shoulders. :D

Thanks for the explanation...humour has become a rare commodity hasn´t it...It must be Lent....grin...

Some recent pics of The Vatican with,ao,the monastery of Mater Ecclesiae,the future residence of Cardinal Ratzinger.

PPE Agency

Thanks for the pictures of the buildings within Vatican City. Concerning him going out to dinner again, as he did when he was a cardinal, could he be apprehended if he left the Vatican, by those who are suing him for allowing pederasty to continue among the active clergy? There are ongoing suits, and one suit's sponsors says they won't miss a step to call for the arrest of the next Pope, on the same charges, as it is a charge against the administrator of the Church, whoever he might be. I don't think he can leave the Vatican safely if there is a warrant for his arrest. But perhaps there is a secret entrance he can leave by?
I read an article by one of the chief persons bringing the suit, and I read the whole article, thus discovering that this person is anti-Christian and anti-Zionist, never mind the pope as a particular "miscreant". He is against the whole of Christianity and Zionism. Not a pleasant article, filled with hate, even if it's based on some true misdoings of clergy.

Last edited:
After his abdication, will his title revert to Cardinal Ratzinger? Will he have an honorary title (Pope Emeritus, for example)?

I think it was announced today he would be Bishop Emeritus.

Thanks for the pictures of the buildings within Vatican City. Concerning him going out to dinner again, as he did when he was a cardinal, could he be apprehended if he left the Vatican, by those who are suing him for allowing pederasty to continue among the active clergy? There are ongoing suits, and one suit's sponsors says they won't miss a step to call for the arrest of the next Pope, on the same charges, as it is a charge against the administrator of the Church, whoever he might be. I don't think he can leave the Vatican safely if there is a warrant for his arrest. But perhaps there is a secret entrance he can leave by?
I read an article by one of the chief persons bringing the suit, and I read the whole article, thus discovering that this person is anti-Christian and anti-Zionist, never mind the pope as a particular "miscreant". He is against the whole of Christianity and Zionism. Not a pleasant article, filled with hate, even if it's based on some true misdoings of clergy.

No no no,no-one can sue him for anything..Typical present day humbug to write in these terms and to try to create a hype or any type of hysteria as by this local chief person.And articles like that are to be ignored totally...This world today is full of wackoos and their lame excuses,I'm not into that...Nor is The Vatican and most posters here...grin...Just goes on show that local person actually doesn't know anything on how matters work.Let alone that the next Pope can be arrested one two three just like that if he sets a foot outside the Vatican...Really...ignorance is a choice in this world today with all the possible means of communication...No,don't worry.:)...He can go as he pleases whereever he likes or chooses.Always.Any time.:flowers:

No no no,no-one can sue him for anything..Typical present day humbug to write in these terms and to try to create a hype or any type of hysteria as by this local chief person.And articles like that are to be ignored totally...This world today is full of wackoos and their lame excuses,I'm not into that...Nor is The Vatican and most posters here...grin...Just goes on show that local person actually doesn't know anything on how matters work.Let alone that the next Pope can be arrested one two three just like that if he sets a foot outside the Vatican...Really...ignorance is a choice in this world today with all the possible means of communication...No,don't worry.:)...He can go as he pleases whereever he likes or chooses.Always.Any time.:flowers:

He himself does not think so, obviously. His brother Georg gave an interview and said that (obviously they had dicussed this scenario) he cannot come back to Bavaria to visit him because the people would still recognize him as the pope, so he would need protection and all kind of staff. So they decided it would be easier for Georg to come to the Vatican, though he is the older brother.

So while he of course has the right to do as he pleases, he cannot go back to the old days when he was just a rather unknown cardinal. He surely would be recognized and people who don't believe in the abdication could treat himas if he still was the pope, creating a melee which would surely hurt the then reigning pope. IMHO, of course.

He himself does not think so, obviously. His brother Georg gave an interview and said that (obviously they had dicussed this scenario) he cannot come back to Bavaria to visit him because the people would still recognize him as the pope, so he would need protection and all kind of staff. So they decided it would be easier for Georg to come to the Vatican, though he is the older brother.

So while he of course has the right to do as he pleases, he cannot go back to the old days when he was just a rather unknown cardinal. He surely would be recognized and people who don't believe in the abdication could treat himas if he still was the pope, creating a melee which would surely hurt the then reigning pope. IMHO, of course.

Oh but you're right Kataryn in this respect that he yes,can go where he wishes,but also yes,would be recognised as the Pope,and considered as the "Old Pope" everywhere else but in Rome.He himself doesn't want to get in the way of the next Pontifex Maximus in any way as he has stated himself,but he can walk where he can...That is,if he still could physically,and that is one of the main reasons he won't be about anywhere too much at all.He simply can't walk that long,just short walks in the Vatican gardens,for a "trip" to the Vatican Library fe he would need a golf-buggy to get him to the nearest door as that's a stretch,for him,from the Mater Ecclesia monastery.But that wasn't the point in Mariel's post,hence my reply.

"Mir sind Papst" is over,yep..:)

"Mir sind Papst" is over,yep..:)

Wasn't aware you spoke Bavarian German <grin> - at least a bit because the correct form of the sentence would be "Mir san Papst" (Bavarian version) or "Wir sind Papst" (German version).:flowers::flowers:

Actually all Heads of State and Government lose their international immunity when they leave office. All it would take would be for someone to file a charge and find a judge to issue a warrant in a particular country. Now it is admittedly unlikely this would happen but still a possibility.
More likely is a scenario where individual victims of priest abuse file civil charges against the ex Pope and try to bring him into court in various countries for questioning on what he knew, when he knew it and the actions he took or failed to take. It would be similar to what happened to the Cardinal Archbishop of NY who this week was deposed by lawyers representing 350 of nearly 600 victims of abuse in the Milwaulkee archdiocese of which the Cardinal was the former Archbishop. If Benedict remains behind Vatican walls this cannot happen. Between the priest abuse scandals and the Vatican Bank scandals best to stay out of sight.

Presumably if Benedict was in good enough health to go traveling around Europe or to go on lunch dates with the girls in Rome then he should have been in good enough health to remain in office. Since his brother says Benedict is having increasing difficulty just walking travel and an active social life seems unlikely.

Wasn't aware you spoke Bavarian German <grin> - at least a bit because the correct form of the sentence would be "Mir san Papst" (Bavarian version) or "Wir sind Papst" (German version).:flowers::flowers:

grin...dass " san" ,dass war's ..Tschüss!..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom