The Waringo Investigation into the Functioning of the Luxembourg Court 2019/2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All siblings of Grand-Duke Jean, all siblings of Grand-Duke Henri and all siblings of Hereditary Grand-Duke Guillaume live outside the Grand-Duchy. That is a natural phenomenon of pursueing an own life, an own career, with maximum privacy.

Even the Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess themselves often stay outside the Grand-Duchy. Maybe that is also part of the problem: "When the cat away, the mice will play". When the Grand-Duchess is back from her lengthy stays in Paris or Biarritz and finds standards have slopped in Luxembourg, it is hard to correct it because the natural authority has eroded by longtime abstence.

Last edited:
In fairness I agree - the precedent is set that its unusual for the wider GD family to live in Luxembourg.

I wonder if the report the PM asked for this time will be made public like the Waringo one

Alice Roosevelt Longworth used to say about her father Teddy Roosevelt: "My father always wanted to be the corpse at every funeral, the bride at every wedding and the baby at every christening".

It appears GD MT caught some bridezilla fever and that was just trying on clothes for her daughter's wedding photo shoot. Granted we don't really know what happened but given her history one can only imagine. Does MT just go ballistic screaming and shouting, we don't really know, do we?

Alice Roosevelt Longworth used to say about her father Teddy Roosevelt: "My father always wanted to be the corpse at every funeral, the bride at every wedding and the baby at every christening".

It appears GD MT caught some bridezilla fever and that was just trying on clothes for her daughter's wedding photo shoot. Granted we don't really know what happened but given her history one can only imagine. Does MT just go ballistic screaming and shouting, we don't really know, do we?

As Hereditary Grand-Duchess she once was in all states, was on Flughafen Findel near Luxembourg and wanted to flee the Grand-Duchy. Apparently the gendarmerie did catch the Grand-Duchess and "the men in grey suits" enforced her to return to Schloss Fischbach, where she lived.

It was believed she wanted to escape her "demanding" mother-in-law Joséphine-Charlotte (whom thought she was not of the right composure to be a future Grand-Duchess) and her disapproving grandmother-in-law Charlotte (whom thought she was a mésalliance anyway to a Prince de Luxembourg, Prince de Nassau, Prince de Bourbon de Parme).

Now, with hindsight, we maybe may conclude it probably was more balanced: not only her demanding (grand-) mother-in-law but als her own demanding persona. Grand-Duke Henri seems like his father Jean and his son Guillaume: just imperturbable.

Last edited:
:previous: I see what you mean, GD MT has had a lot to put up with over the history of her years since marrying into the GD Family. GD Henri does seem to have a calm personality as does his son HGD Guillaume.

well what we do know is that she has treated staff badly, and I thought that they had cut down her work as a duchess to a minimum but it seems she is still working and still losing her temper with staff. I cant imagine that the PM wants to get involved in a palace affair unless it is so serious that he had to intervene.

Last edited:
But then how many of GD Henri's siblings used to live in the country. Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume lived in Paris and from also his sisters lived abroad.

So i think it is not to unusual that the children of the Grand Ducal couple live abroad, specially as Luxembourg is a small country.

True, but the patriarchal convention which is still generally followed by royal families is that the wife lives in the country of her husband and not the other way around, in the same way that the wife takes the title of her husband and not the other way around. In that respect, the princesses are not comparable to the princes.

In the grand-ducal house, the only younger sons of previous sovereigns were the princes Charles, Jean, and Guillaume. Charles and Guillaume married dynastically, lived/live with their wives and children in the grand duchy, and carried out some official duties. Jean lives in France as a private citizen, but he concluded an unapproved marriage and renounced his right to the throne.

So in terms of precedent, Prince Louis (who likewise married without official approval and renounced his right to the throne) and Princess Alexandra living outside the grand duchy would be expected, but Prince Félix and Prince Sébastien (unless the latter also made a non-dynastic marriage) would have eventually settled in Luxembourg.

Back
Top Bottom