Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice tributes in wet weather. That Letzebuergisch sounds very much like the local dialect spoken in Dutch Maastricht and German Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle), both close to the Grand-Duchy. Especially the "sound palette".

Last edited:
I thought HRH passed away at his own residence, Fischbach Castle, or in a hospital.

But it seems he died at Colmar-Berg.
It wasn't announced where he died but probably in a hospital as he was the becase of pneumonie. Probably he was then brought to Berg Castle so that the Family could say goodbye to him in private there.

Last edited:
Who do you think will represent from Norway? My guess would be Queen Sonja.

By the way, is this an exception being made that a former head of state is granted a state funeral or is this common excercise? I thought only current, active heads of state are given a state funeral...?

By the way, is this an exception being made that a former head of state is granted a state funeral or is this common excercise? I thought only current, active heads of state are given a state funeral...?

The Norwegian Royal family will be represented by King Harald, Queen Sonja, and Princess Astrid.

A State Funeral formally means that the State organizes and pays for it. It happens pretty often, for an example for military who died in service. But also for a Margaret Thatcher.

The funerals of Queen Wilhelmina and Queen Juliana of the Netherlands were, despite all the massive participation and grand ceremonials, no State Funerals, as it were organized and paid for by the royal family. But that was an own choice, not because the State was unwilling or so.

The Belgian King Leopold III however was given a State Funeral indeed. His brother Prince Charles, who was for years de facto the head of state, was not given a State Funeral.

Last edited:
First of all, may he rest in peace. I had kinda hoped he could reach 100 and see a celebration of this milestone. But it was not meant to be and 98 is impressive, to watch your children grow, them having children and look back on a rich life. He is now reunited with his beloved ones :thistle:
tZwNz8T.png

Last edited:
Who will represent the Spanish Royal Family at the funeral?

I wonder if some military song will be played (commemomorating the fact that the Grand Duke Jean was a soldier)

The Empress Farah Pahlavi is a stalwart attendee at Royal Funerals I'd be very surprised not to see her present.

Princess Anne was likely choosen this time as she knew GD Jean very well since they worked closely together for a decade in the International Olympic Comittee.

Interesting, I didn't know that Anne had a personal friendship with GD Jean. It makes sense now for her to be the British representative.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So what we know about the attendance so far...

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal

Denmark / Greece -
H.M The Queen
H.M Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
More members likely to attend

Romania -
H.M Margarita The Custodian of the Crown.
H.R.H Prince Radu.

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

House of Braganza -
H.R.H Duke Duarte Pio and his family

The Dutch and Spanish Royal Families have so far not announced who will attend.

The Princely families of Lichtenstein and Monaco have also not announced attendance but Lichtenstein will definitely be there as GD Jean's daughter Princess Margaretha is married to Prince Nikolaus, brother of Fürst Hans Adam II.

The Jordanian and Thai Royal Families and the Japanese Imperial Family have also not announced if they will send someone. The ongoing Coronation in Thailand may stop the Thai Royal Family from sending someone and the senior members of the Japanese Imperial family is to greet the public on that day after the accession of the new Emperor and Empress.

Prince Rafael of Orléans-Bragança, living in London, will represent the Head of the Brazilian Imperial family, his uncle Prince Luíz Gastão.

Rafael's aunt the Princess of Ligne will also attend.

Large turnout from the Netherlands and Belgium minus Princess Claire which is becoming a given of late.

Will it be broadcast live in Luxemburg and Belgium ????

How odd that the king and queen are not going to the funeral of a (former) Benelux co-monarch and the head of the other branch of the Nassau family. Grand Duke Jean was a regular guest at major Dutch weddings and funerals. But of course Queen Beatrix will have known him best.

It seems that Princess Esmeralda is not able to make it to her brother-in-law's funeral. Did she attend the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte?

Last edited:
Princess Beatrix attended also queen Fabiola's funeral and is a perfect choice as when the King and Queen have other engagements.

Does anyone know what the course of events will be for the next few days, for example:

- When will the body of the late Grand Duke be transferred to the Royal Palace?
- Will there be a Lying in State, so that the authorities and the people of Luxembourg can pay their respects?

What I also would like to know: will the Grand Duke be buried or cremated?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that his late wife, Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte, was cremated and that her ashes are placed in the Royal Vault in the Notre Dame Cathedral of Luxembourg.

Some event details from Luxarazzi
Open Post About the Funeral Arrangements for Grand Duke Jean
Grand Duke Jean to Lie in State, Public Invited to Attend Funeral

How odd that the king and queen are not going to the funeral of a (former) Benelux co-monarch and the head of the other branch of the Nassau family. Grand Duke Jean was a regular guest at major Dutch weddings and funerals. But of course Queen Beatrix will have known him best.

It seems that Princess Esmeralda is not able to make it to her brother-in-law's funeral. Did she attend the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte?

Around 17.30 the King and Queen Máxima are expected at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam. Around 18.00 the members of the Comité 4 and 5 May as well other authorities are welcomed in the Royal Palace. At 18.30 the National Remembrance starts, culminating in the wreathlaying at 20.00 o'clock.

It is not impossible to do both the State Funeral in Luxembourg and the National Remembrance in Amsterdam, but I understand the choice for Princess Beatrix, the Duke and the Duchess of Parma. With this the former head of the House of Orange-Nassau plus the head of the House Bourbon-Parma go to the State Funeral. And no stress about a tight time schedule.

Last edited:
I suppose you are right & it would be a tight schedule. The national remembrance is one of the most important events of the year so a risk of running late is perhaps best avoided.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are also attending with The Princess Royal.

Looks like the royal guest list will be

The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
H.R.H The Duchess of Brabant
H.I.R.H Princess Astrid Archduchess of Austria-Este
H.I.R.H Prince Lorentz Archduke of Austria-Este
H.R.H Prince Laurent
H.R.H Princess Lea

Lichtenstein -
H.R.H Princess Margaretha (GD Jeans youngest daughter)
H.S.H Prince Nikolaus
Their three children
H.S.H The Prince Regent
H.R.H The Hereditary Princess

Denmark / Greece -
H.M Queen Margrethe II
H.M Queen Anne-Marie

Jordan -
H.R.H Prince Hassan
H.R.H Princess Sarvath
H.R.H Prince Rashid
H.R.H Princess Badi'a

Monaco -
H.S.H The Sovereign Prince

Netherlands / House of Bourbon Parma -
H.R.H Princess Beatrix
H.R.H The Duke of Parma
H.R.H The Duchess of Parma

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal
H.R.H The Duke of Gloucester
H.R.H The Duchess of Gloucester

Spain -
H.M King Juan Carlos
H.M Queen Sofia

Romania -
H.M Margarita The Custodian of the Crown
H.R.H Prince Radu

Portugal -
H.R.H The Duke of Braganza and his family

Brazil -
Prince Rafael

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

House of Bourbon -
Louis Alphonse Duke of Anjou

And ofcourse GD Jeans nieces and nephews and their families

Last edited:
Prince Albert II of Monaco attending on his own again no real surprise there .

Looks like the royal guest list will be

The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
H.R.H The Duchess of Brabant
H.I.R.H Princess Astrid Archduchess of Austria-Este
H.I.R.H Prince Lorentz Archduke of Austria-Este
H.R.H Prince Laurent
H.R.H Princess Lea

Lichtenstein -
H.R.H Princess Margaretha (GD Jeans youngest daughter)
H.S.H Prince Nikolaus
Their three children
H.S.H The Prince Regent
H.R.H The Hereditary Princess

Denmark / Greece -
H.M Queen Margrethe II
H.M Queen Anne-Marie

Jordan -
H.R.H Prince Hassan
H.R.H Princess Sarvath
H.R.H Prince Rashid
H.R.H Princess Badi'a

Monaco -
H.S.H The Sovereign Prince

Netherlands / House of Bourbon Parma -
H.R.H Princess Beatrix
H.R.H The Duke of Parma
H.R.H The Duchess of Parma

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal
H.R.H The Duke of Gloucester
H.R.H The Duchess of Gloucester

Spain -
H.M King Juan Carlos
H.M Queen Sofia

Romania -
H.M Margarita The Custodian of the Crown
H.R.H Prince Radu

Portugal -
H.R.H The Duke of Braganza and his family

Brazil -
Prince Rafael

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

And ofcourse GD Jeans nieces and nephews and their families

My guess is that also several german noble's like the Duke of Bavaria, The Duke and Duchess in Bavaria etc will attend.

I hope there will also be members of the Royal Families of Germany and Bulgaria. I am happy that all the royal families reigning in Europe will be represented.

Back
Top Bottom