Princely Family of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently purchased the title "Hommage to Grace Kellly (see link below) & can highly recommend it if you are looking for a comprehensive photographic tribute to Grace both as an actress & Princess of Monaco. Although the brief text is in French, the photos are numerous ( over 500 pages!) & include a few that I don't think have appeared in any other books on Grace, it's a lovely book to own & not that expensive.
Another newly published title that is attractively presented & again contains many lovely photos is " A Touch of Grace".
Both books don't contain new information about Grace as they are not meant to be regarded as biographies, but they are very pleasing coffee table books. :flowers:

Hommage to Grace Kelly
A Touch of Grace

Did anybody else read "The Royal House of Monaco by John Glatt. Published in 1998? The author seems to have done extensive research on the Grimaldi family after Princess Grace's death. I was wondering what another person thinks about the revelations on Prince Rainer, Princess Caroline, Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie.:flowers:

It's a few years since I read this but I remember thinking at the time that there would have been some attempt by the family to prevent publication if the claims were unsubstantiated. As you say, the author cites quite an impressive amount of references. Which revelations were you particularly interested in?

About the in-depth information on Grace's children. These items listed stand out to me.

Princess Caroline's 2nd husband's possible mafia connection that led to his death and vandalizing his grave. Vandals never caught. Caroline's relationship with her sister, Princess Stephanie. Princess Caroline because blames her sister for her mother's death. Princess Caroline's role in stopping her father from marrying Princess Ira. Princess Caroline's hair lost was because of her relationship with Prince Ernst and the stress from it.

Prince Albert's and his father's tempestuous relationship concerning Albert's ability to rule. His studer when young and how sports made him more confident as a person.
Prince Albert was going to make public is daughter Jasmine Grace and then denied her because of his father.

Princess Stephanie's life in America and alleged drug problem.

But the best was the conclusion. Where the author compares Princess Grace to a rose that is at her memorial garden. I think it is beautiful written.

I thought it was a well research book and probably banned in Monaco when it was published in 1998.:flowers:

I thought it was a well research book and probably banned in Monaco when it was published in 1998.:flowers:
I'm not sure if it was banned in Monaco - I seem to remember seeing it in the English bookshop, Scruples, ( mind you that has closed now:lol:) but I have just looked at my copy & noticed there were exclusive interviews granted to Glatt by some pretty prominent figures such as Albert himself. It seems unlikely these would have been allowed to be used in this book without the whole publication being scrutinised. But yes, looking at the list you give, there's some strong claims here...although quite a few have surfaced from time to time in the media.

The Charlotte Casiraghi Fan Club

A set of fictionalized fan interviews are used to illustrate obsession with Charlotte Casiraghi, the very sensationalized daughter of Princess Caroline of Monaco. These interviews are followed by an essay which highlights how the media feeds into, and even creates, such obsessions. The book is filled with information and analysis of the truth and fiction that color Miss Casiraghi's image.

Due out August 2010

Will be available in print as well as e-book on Kindle through Amazon

In print: $6.10
On Kindle: $2.99

Last edited:
This reminds me of a conundrum & oxymoron all rolled into one. :D Seriously, it does...

^I don't know why that is, but the fan club book is available already in digital format on Amazon kindle. More traditional :cool: format will come soon. Anyway, Kindle books are much more economical so..... I have the B&N Nook instead of it, but I presume it's pretty much the same. I don't think you can get this book on the Nook.

The Charlotte Casiraghi Fan Club
These interviews are followed by an essay which highlights how the media feeds into, and even creates, such obsessions. The book is filled with information and analysis of the truth and fiction that color Miss Casiraghi's image.

I know us Casiraghi fans can not get enough of them, but does anyone else think the fictional image is upsetting. I could see Ms Casiraghi suing just like her mother did with the German tabloid.

Did this author need a well know name to sell is theme on media frenzy obsessions?

I don't think Charlotte will be happy with this. Is it going to come out on her birthday in Aug? :ermm:

A photographic portrait of Albert to celebrate his 5 years as monarch has been published
Link

Its captions shouldn't stop you purchasing if you are unable to speak French as its full of photos documenting Albert's appearances at various functions and meeting other royals and famous folk. Charlene also appears in several photos from recent months. It's right up to date with the last photo being the official engagement to Charlene

The Fan Club book is on Ebook now. It's not fictional or biographical on Charlotte. It's about talking about Charlotte, more like this than about Charlotte herself. It's a collection of interviews and essay.

I don't own a copy but I have looked at it is a bookshop. From what I recall it is more of a coffee table book with some very nice photos & some text.

"My Book of Flowers" by Princess Grace of Monaco with Gwen Robyns

Does anybody else own this? I'm so glad Princess Grace wrote this. Even though it is not an autobiography, it does give a lot of insight into her love of flowers, art, folklore and culture.

Plus, the flower arrangements she included in it are so beautiful! I'm constantly getting it off the shelf for that reason alone.

Yes I do I bought it when it first was publish and strange that you should be asking about it as I just put it out on the coffee table after a very lond time of sittting on the book shelf. Is there something you want to know am happy to help if I can.

Yes I do I bought it when it first was publish and strange that you should be asking about it as I just put it out on the coffee table after a very lond time of sittting on the book shelf. Is there something you want to know am happy to help if I can.

I already own a copy of the book. I just wanted to be able to discuss it with other Princess Grace fans! :D

Oh well talk away ........ it is one of my all time favourites purchased it when it first came out and still press flowers in the manner she suggested though am not manic about it as I was when I first bought it. I always loved everything she did, wore and so this was just amazing to me.
Love the book and am pleased it has been ressurected from the back of the boook shelf and it is so weird you should bring it up after all this time.

The upbringing of Prince Rainier III and Princess Antoinette

When I went to write this blog for Princess Antoinette's nonagenarian birthday last December, I realized how little I know about her. Very little is known even from books. We know about her brother's education, but not about hers. What was her childhood like? Where did she go to school? Did she go to school or was she home-schooled with tutors or a governess?
In one book, which I quoted in the blog, there is a suggestion that Charlotte of Monaco was not nice to her daughter, that Antoinette was made to suffer a lot of insecurities from her mother's treatment.

The book Palace written by Christian de Massy provides some information about Antoinette's early years. Apparently she was raised by an English Nanny who was a cousin of Winston Churchill. Massy records that his mother didn't have a good relationship with either her father or her mother (Charlotte) who in turn had little time for her daughter. He further states that whenever tutors or governesses were appointed she found fault with them. She took up ballet, piano & tennis (under the world champion Martin Plas) but behaved in a temperamental fashion with her teachers pronouncing them as incompetent. More revealing is Massy's comments that she would eat enormous amounts of food for "psychological reasons", bloat up & then diet down to nothing with equal fanaticism. "she could never do anything by halves.."
If Massy's account is true, Antoinette appears to have had a very troubled childhood,

When I went to write this blog for Princess Antoinette's nonagenarian birthday last December, I realized how little I know about her. Very little is known even from books. We know about her brother's education, but not about hers. What was her childhood like? Where did she go to school? Did she go to school or was she home-schooled with tutors or a governess?
In one book, which I quoted in the blog, there is a suggestion that Charlotte of Monaco was not nice to her daughter, that Antoinette was made to suffer a lot of insecurities from her mother's treatment.

Yes, I would like to know more about her too, Thanks Elly C for the information. I don't see that many photos of her either?

The book Palace written by Christian de Massy provides some information about Antoinette's early years. Apparently she was raised by an English Nanny who was a cousin of Winston Churchill. Massy records that his mother didn't have a good relationship with either her father or her mother (Charlotte) who in turn had little time for her daughter. He further states that whenever tutors or governesses were appointed she found fault with them. She took up ballet, piano & tennis (under the world champion Martin Plas) but behaved in a temperamental fashion with her teachers pronouncing them as incompetent. More revealing is Massy's comments that she would eat enormous amounts of food for "psychological reasons", bloat up & then diet down to nothing with equal fanaticism. "she could never do anything by halves.."
If Massy's account is true, Antoinette appears to have had a very troubled childhood,

Thank you so much. That was very helpful. I'm now writing an obituary for her. I'm having so much fun doing it. She was a fascinating woman.

I really wish someone would scan Princess Grace's flower collages in this book. (None of the Princess Grace/Grace Kelly fansites have the scans, let alone mention the book. Which ticks me off. Plus, it relates back to her Princess duties and Monaco legacy, so one would think someone somewhere would have scanned them already.)

(I don't own a scanner otherwise I would.)

After the wedding let's have a NEW UP-T0-DATE BOOK!

Why are there NO current up-to-date books on this family? I had a look at AMAZON.UK/COM and the last book written about the family was years ago (except Grace). I hope there will be a NEW bio in English after the couple are married. I thought I saw a recent new book on the couple but I must have been mistaken!

Amazon.com: Monaco's Wild Child: Princess Stephanie First Ever Biography (9781903906347): Valentina Artsrunik: Books

The Ruling House of Monaco: The Story of a Tragic Dynasty: Amazon.co.uk: John Glatt: Books

Amazon.com: The Royal House of Monaco: Dynasty of Glamour, Tragedy and Scandal (9780312969110): John Glatt: Books

Amazon.com: The Grimaldis of Monaco (9780688088378): Anne Edwards: Books

Yes I agree with you angieuk. As I have posted before, it's way overdue for a biography on Caroline, but I cannot see her agreeing to an official biography right now. You'd probably have to be quite brave to publish an unofficial one given her reputation for seeing off the press in court. Although there are several biographies of Rainier & Albert in French, I guess publishers do not feel that they would sell sufficient copies to publish in English. However, I did expect when Rainier died there might have been something published - his only official biography appeared back in the 60s. The only recent bilingual publication I have found which isn't just a photographic book is "From Albert I to AlbertI I by Tuna Aksoy Koprulu - but it still has a rather limited text content.

Well hopefully, with this marriage only 3 weeks away now a new chapter will emerge. I hope this means a NEW BOOK too. 2011/2012 Albert is now opening a new future in his life with a young wife beside him.

I think the best biography of Grace was by George Englund. It was published a couple of years after her death. The author had apparently been in contact with her and while she wanted to write her own autobiography at some point she agreed to contact people and allow them to talk to the author. It wasn;t all tabloid gossip like so many books have been.

Back
Top Bottom