Ingrid Seward - Prince Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Heir Presumptive
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Cant find the post on this? Is anyone reading it - intends reading it?

Cant find the post on this? Is anyone reading it - intends reading it?

Not going to read the actual book Claire - though I believe it to be as described, a "landmark" work.

The "Daily Mail" published three abridged extracts from it under author Ingrid Seward's byline.

It popped up on my radar as the "Daily Mail" is my go to media outlet for a quick squizz at the world every morning, and I hope it is a big success for it's writer.

There has been such a lot of Royal coverage - and with the Covid lockdown I've read my fair share - but even I am getting a bit overfed at times.

I think the quote about Prince Philip being a "alpha male in a beta role" is very apt.

I have a lot of respect for the way he has handed his hard life journey.

And from the bits here and there that I've seen - "what the hell do they want!" about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, for example - he and Her Majesty don't seem to have arrived at any safe harbour from the storms and tempests of life at any time, even now.

I hope the book is a success for Ms Seward.

All these books must be hard work, and I'm glad they are available for whoever whats to take the opportunity to learn from these very publicly-lived lives.

Here's are links to the "Daily Mail" extracts -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Philip-REALLY-thinks-black-sheep-Royals.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-women-rumours-wont-away-says-biographer.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Philips-complicated-relationship-Charles.html

Last edited:
I don’t know if I’ll read it, but I’m very much interested in it - of the recent books, this is the one that won’t give me any agita, lol..(except the parts about Philip and Charles’ relationship, lol. I think it’s much better now, but there’s a lot to it...’

I am quiet a bit in to the book and I am very disappointed.
It is a lot of rehash from other Seward books and of points inside the book as well. It might just be the narrative as it is not linear and the book appears unfinished and rushed. It is not a polished book at all. I was so puzzled by this I redownloaded it - thinking I messed up between the sample and the book.
At the moment nothing new- she appears to have solved the Duke of Edinburgh life in to happily named chapters and said that is what it is. A lot of points are clarified using psychological journals and expert opinion which knocks off the style and seems completely out of place.
Philip's relationship is dealt with rather poorly. I think that the chapter on his friendship with women is done in more detail to his relationship to his children. There is very little details everywhere. Charles and Anne are done in one chapter and Edward and Andrew in another. Don't expect much - 90 % of it is about their birth and schooling. Diana has a whole chapter - as it appears Diana's relationship with Philip is really important to get across. Sarah's is a paragraph mostly about his anger to the divorces and press intrusion. Sophie get a line, not about her marriage to Edward but about carriage riding. Later Charles and William especially are fawned over, Andrew, Harry and Meghan are spoken about in context of the future and that the end of the book.

It is a lot of rehash from other Seward books and of points inside the book as well. It might just be the narrative as it is not linear and the book appears unfinished and rushed. It is not a polished book at all. I was so puzzled by this I redownloaded it - thinking I messed up between the sample and the book.
At the moment nothing new- she appears to have solved the Duke of Edinburgh life in to happily named chapters and said that is what it is. A lot of points are clarified using psychological journals and expert opinion which knocks off the style and seems completely out of place.
Philip's relationship is dealt with rather poorly. I think that the chapter on his friendship with women is done in more detail to his relationship to his children. There is very little details everywhere. Charles and Anne are done in one chapter and Edward and Andrew in another. Don't expect much - 90 % of it is about their birth and schooling. Diana has a whole chapter - as it appears Diana's relationship with Philip is really important to get across. Sarah's is a paragraph mostly about his anger to the divorces and press intrusion. Sophie get a line, not about her marriage to Edward but about carriage riding. Later Charles and William especially are fawned over, Andrew, Harry and Meghan are spoken about in context of the future and that the end of the book.

It’s disappointing some of these recent books aren’t living up to expectations ... and I don’t think it’s because expectations are too high.

Is there too much competition, too much pressure, not enough research, no real new insight to give readers.

At least Lady Glenconner gave a great experience with her effort ... and that’s the one I bought.

Last edited:
Tatler has released a special section of the Prince Philip: Revealed. Apparently, Prince Phillips "had a secret message inscribed inside the Queen's wedding band, a message that only three people have ever seen".

Extract from the Tatler article that contains Ingred Seward's writing in the book
Talking about how the exiled Prince had little to his name when he married the then-Princess Elizabeth, she writes: 'At least Philip didn't have the expense of a wedding ring, as the people of Wales supplied a nugget of Welsh gold from which the ring is made,' explaining that as is traditional, the Royal Family's rings were made from gifted Welsh gold. 'She never takes it off and inside the ring is an inscription. No one knows what it says, other than the engraver, the queen and her husband.'​

The secret romantic gesture the Duke of Edinburgh made to the Queen on their wedding day
According to a new biography of Prince Philip, he had a special message inscribed on the Queen's wedding ring - one which no one else has seen
https://www.tatler.com/article/queens-secret-inscription-on-wedding-ring

Tatler has released a special section of the Prince Philip: Revealed. Apparently, Prince Phillips "had a secret message inscribed inside the Queen's wedding band, a message that only three people have ever seen".

Extract from the Tatler article that contains Ingred Seward's writing in the book
Talking about how the exiled Prince had little to his name when he married the then-Princess Elizabeth, she writes: 'At least Philip didn't have the expense of a wedding ring, as the people of Wales supplied a nugget of Welsh gold from which the ring is made,' explaining that as is traditional, the Royal Family's rings were made from gifted Welsh gold. 'She never takes it off and inside the ring is an inscription. No one knows what it says, other than the engraver, the queen and her husband.'​

The secret romantic gesture the Duke of Edinburgh made to the Queen on their wedding day
According to a new biography of Prince Philip, he had a special message inscribed on the Queen's wedding ring - one which no one else has seen
https://www.tatler.com/article/queens-secret-inscription-on-wedding-ring

Oh wow, how romantic... both the ring being made from Welsh gold and the message....??????

Ingrid Seward did an interview with Katie Nicholl on Vanity Fair ahead of the release of Prince Philip Revealed

Why Prince Harry’s Relationship with Prince Philip Still Hasn’t Recovered: “This Has Been a Great Shock”
In her new biography Prince Philip Revealed, Ingrid Seward writes that the Queen’s husband has compared Meghan Markle to Wallis Simpson, even though he welcomed her to the family at first.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/10/prince-harry-prince-philip-relationship

It's the first time that I come across this story but feel free to ignore if it is already widely known and has been discussed previously:

In Prince Philip Revealed Seward recounts how Harry, who was dating Meghan at the time, was the guest of honor at a shooting weekend in 2018, but pulled out at the last minute because Meghan didn’t want him to slaughter game birds. “At exactly 9 a.m. all the guns were waiting at the door to move off, but no sign of Harry,” Seward writes. “They didn’t quite know what to do so they waited and waited until Harry eventually appeared at the door in his dressing gown looking very sheepish. His embarrassed explanation was that Meghan did not want him to go out with the guns, which was extremely awkward as he was guest of honor.”

The story was relayed to Seward by a source close to the prince. “This is exactly the sort of behavior that led to Harry becoming more estranged from his oldest friends,” Seward said in the interview. “This wasn’t the Harry they knew; he would never have let them down. Harry knows how expensive it is and how much time goes into organizing a shoot. It was very rude and the general feeling was one of disbelief, because it was so out of character.”
Source: Vanity Fair

Last edited:
It's the first time that I come across this story but feel free to ignore if it is already widely known and has been discussed previously:

Thank you Somebody for posting the extract.

I read the whole article, which primarily focus on Prince Philip, but it's interesting that Ingrid Seward has mentioned the "Shooting party story". I heard of that rumour/story before, where Harry end up not going to a shooting event, because Meghan did not like it. However, I did not know the details. There was also a claim that Harry sold his rifles before moving to Canada (then to the US).
https://www.tatler.com/article/prince-harry-sold-rifles-for-meghan-markle

To be honest, I was mainly focused on the relationship between Prince Philip and Meghan, which I assumed would be one of the key topics in Ingrid Seward's book, Prince Philip Revealed.

If indeed Harry’s relationship with Philip is still in poor shape, that wouldn’t surprise me. What Harry did and how he did it goes against Philip’s entire life.

Philip has been dutiful his entire life. He doesn’t complain. And had to give up his naval career early to support the Queen. This just can’t have gone over well imo.

No surprise at all that he and the Queen were unamused by the no prior notice website bombshell. That really was appalling.

I find it very believable that Philip would have made an effort to be particularly welcoming to Meghan. He’s well aware of how difficult marrying into this family can be. And he was hardly treated well himself. He put up with a lot. But he adapted, made it work, did his job- and literally carved a role for himself.

if this is true why didn't Harry say that he'd given up shooting?

There are lots of reasons why he wouldn't make an announcement, assuming it is true.

What annoucement?? he could have told his ffamily that he'd given it up rather than let them organise a shoot....

I really wonder how many of Harry's relationships with his family members and friends remain completely intact after his marriage and especially after all the events of the past year. It's obviously very common and understandable that marrying and starting a family can affect relationships- it changes your priorities, you may have less time to devote to things you may once have as your responsibility to your spouse and children increases, and certainly your interests can change to reflect the interests and priorities of your partner. Harry certainly seems to have dropped his "party boy" ways and reputation, and I'm sure many of his friends have, too, as they've settled down into family and careers of their own. But there have been consistent reports that he's dropped many of his former close friends and associates since his marriage. And I think that it's pretty clear that his relationship with his brother isn't great right now, and I'm sure there are other strained familial relationships too after things came out in Finding Freedom, passive aggressive remarks in press releases, and in dragging names of certain family members into the court case.

What annoucement?? he could have told his ffamily that he'd given it up rather than let them organise a shoot....

I am not referring to a formal announcement.

He may have been worried that if this were widely known, Meghan would be blamed and receive even more criticism than she was receiving at the time.
The shooting party seems to have been arranged by friends, not family.

The general story was reported, but not details like this. I personally loathe hunting, but I think this story is disturbing in two ways: that Harry was incredibly rude not to tell anyone that he wasn’t going to participate and also that he feels the need to give up pursuits or hobbies because of Meghan’s beliefs. I wonder how many others he’s given up.

Wow, I’m surprised..I’ve never read any of her books, but I expected better.

I’m sure the Charles stuff consists mostly of things we’ve heard before, but does Ingrid comment on their relationship today? I expect it’s improved - and they just agree to disagree in certain things (like Charles does with Anne).

As I don't understand the idea of hunting at all; I fully understand why Meghan would be unhappy about Harry hunting - and also that Harry decides to no longer hunt.

However, not showing up but after your friends waited for you for some time announcing that you are not coming because your wife doesn't like it when you previously committed is a bit more worrisome. You'd think they had discussed his hobbies before (it's not that this happened early on in their relationship but about 2 years in), so he could have made that decision well in advance, preferably before committing to join his friends for a shooting and certainly in advance of the day itself.

Ingrid Seward did an interview with Katie Nicholl on Vanity Fair ahead of the release of Prince Philip Revealed

Why Prince Harry’s Relationship with Prince Philip Still Hasn’t Recovered: “This Has Been a Great Shock”
In her new biography Prince Philip Revealed, Ingrid Seward writes that the Queen’s husband has compared Meghan Markle to Wallis Simpson, even though he welcomed her to the family at first.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/10/prince-harry-prince-philip-relationship

It’s very damning stuff, and to be honest, I understand Philip’s POV completely. He comes from a time when duty meant everything - and he himself gave up his personal life, a very promising Naval career, to marry the then-princess Elizabeth. I’m very glad that he’s removed himself from this situation - which is why he didn’t attend the Sandringham summit. He’s said his piece - he can’t force Harry to listen to him, and at 99, he doesn’t need the aggravation.

The 10 minutes notice to both BP and Charles was an unacceptable breach of protocol, but worse showed a total lack of respect. I love how protective Philip is of HM.

The article isn’t only about Harry, though. I didn’t know that Philip loves Mary Berry and cooking shows - so do I ! He’s an amazing man - the dignity he carries himself with is astonishing.

Last edited:
The general story was reported, but not details like this. I personally loathe hunting, but I think this story is disturbing in two ways: that Harry was incredibly rude not to tell anyone that he wasn’t going to participate and also that he feels the need to give up pursuits or hobbies because of Meghan’s beliefs. I wonder how many others he’s given up.

I actually didnt know what to make of the story either - half of the party were people that Harry invited for a shoot and then the morning after he was several hours later and the shoot hadnt started , came downstairs in his gown and sleepily told them that Meghan said he couldnt go and he had to stop shooting as she wanted him to.

If he had told people the day before other arrangement could have been made.

It’s very damning stuff, and to be honest, I understand Philip’s POV completely. He comes from a time when duty meant everything - and he himself gave up his personal life, a very promising Naval career, to marry the then-princess Elizabeth. I’m very glad that he’s removed himself from this situation - which is why he didn’t attend the Sandringham summit. He’s said his piece - he can’t force Harry to listen to him, and at 99, he doesn’t need the aggravation.

The 10 minutes notice to both BP and Charles was an unacceptable breach of protocol, but worse showed a total lack of respect. I love how protective Philip is of HM.

The article isn’t only about Harry, though. I didn’t know that Philip loves Mary Berry and cooking shows - so do I ! He’s an amazing man - the dignity he carries himself with is astonishing.

Totally agree with you about Philip regarding the Harry situation. I said almost the same thing in an earlier post. It was all handled so poorly by Harry and Meghan. I just shake my head.

I smiled when I read that he likes Mary Berry. IIrc- William and Catherine are fans too. Nice thing to have in common. As different as he and Charles are in temperment, these are both dutiful, active men with a variety of hobbies/ interests.

I actually didnt know what to make of the story either - half of the party were people that Harry invited for a shoot and then the morning after he was several hours later and the shoot hadnt started , came downstairs in his gown and sleepily told them that Meghan said he couldnt go and he had to stop shooting as she wanted him to.

If he had told people the day before other arrangement could have been made.

That’s the thing, Harry is completely thoughtless when it comes to other people - it’s all about himself, or Meghan. It’s easy to see why he’s pushed away his old friends...there’s only so much people can tolerate before they’ve had enough.

Totally agree with you about Philip regarding the Harry situation. I said almost the same thing in an earlier post. It was all handled so poorly by Harry and Meghan. I just shake my head.

I smiled when I read that he likes Mary Berry. IIrc- William and Catherine are fans too. Nice thing to have in common. As different as he and Charles are in temperment, these are both dutiful, active men with a variety of hobbies/ interests.

H and M are like bulls in a china shop, they trample on people because it’s all about them.

I guess everyone loves Mary, lol - I’m American and I love her !

I agree about Philip and Charles - and since Philip apparently has always been concerned with environmental issues, he can take pride that his son has followed suit (even if he thought Charles was a bit of a nut, lol), also passing along that concern to William and Harry. I hope these two have gotten to spend some time together - Charles poignantly spoke about not being able to do so during lockdown some weeks ago.

The more I read about Harry & Megs relationship it seems to resamble to one who one partner tries to separate the other on from all prior bonds to family and friends. That is often the start of an abusive relationship, or one where one partner tries to dominate / manipulate and be in controll of every aspect of ones partners live.

I hope it isn't that way, but by now Harry hasn't got any friends and working familiyrelations left...

The more I read about Harry & Megs relationship it seems to resamble to one who one partner tries to separate the other on from all prior bonds to family and friends. That is often the start of an abusive relationship, or one where one partner tries to dominate / manipulate and be in controll of every aspect of ones partners live.

I hope it isn't that way, but by now Harry hasn't got any friends and working familiyrelations left...

Would all of the come under coercive control? Which is now classed as abuse. I'm a Veggie. I have little interest in my partners views on these things and if he went shooting I would have little interest in that. He has a right to his own life.

I feel that the Author included Prince Harry & Meghan in a negative light to get people to talk about her book, because she knew that would get more clicks and more negative comments.

Last edited:
I am not referring to a formal announcement.

He may have been worried that if this were widely known, Meghan would be blamed and receive even more criticism than she was receiving at the time.
The shooting party seems to have been arranged by friends, not family.

However if the story from Vanity Fair is true, would it not have been better to decline the invitation all together or make it clear to his hosts that he no longer participated in shooting? Then the hosts and the other guests would not have been left waiting that morning.

Back
Top Bottom