Name Haakon And Mette-Marit's Baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRONDHEIM 2004-01-21 - The birth of Crown Princess Mette Marit and Crown Prince Haakon's daughter was honoured by a salute from the Kristiansten fortress at noon January 21, 2004. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a daughter 9.14 am Wednesday. According to the Royal family's press officer Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen both the child and her parents are very well.

Attachments

• __12452___12513___12540___12472__4___IA_04.jpg
    __12452___12513___12540___12472__4___IA_04.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 330
TRONDHEIM 2004-01-21 - The birth of Crown Princess Mette Marit and Crown Prince Haakon's daughter was honoured by a salute from the Kristiansten fortress at noon January 21, 2004. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a daughter 9.14 am Wednesday. According to the Royal family's press officer Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen both the child and her parents are very well.

Attachments

• __12452___12513___12540___12472__5___IA_05.jpg
    __12452___12513___12540___12472__5___IA_05.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 211
from ssb.no

Ingrid Alexandra - et navn i tiden

Norges nye tronarving skal hete Ingrid Alexandra. Prinsessen har dermed fått et navn i tiden.

Ingrid har vært ett av de mest brukte navn de senere år. Det kom som en vind i 1996, mest brukt av alle i 1997. Siden har Ingrid falt litt av, i 2003 nummer 9. Ingrid har en litt utypisk utvikling. Var veldig populært fra 1910 til 1930. Så sank bruken, men allerede rundt 1975 begynte populariteten å stige igjen.

Alexandra/Aleksandra har en veldig typisk utvikling. Var noe brukt for 120 år siden, så ble navnet uhyre sjeldent for så i senere år å komme en del tilbake. Oppslutningen de senere år har vært om lag  en kvart prosent noe som gir en 86. plass på 2003-listen

Kombinasjonen med diverse variasjoner av skrivemåte og innblanding av andre navn er i bruk av 7 andre personer, hvorav en god del er barn.

Good grief. The Swedish influence on Norway hasn't subsided yet. Or maybe it's the other way around. Bente and Hege were other names I liked. O, well.

Emma, Julie Sara. Not particularly Norwegian. Nora is decent. Nora Helmer. Good name. Great heroine.

Of course, Sara is an Old Testament name too and its used by a lot of Christians and non-Christians here too. Julie is French too but still where are the distinctly Norwegian names? Except for Ingrid and that is Scandinavian wide.

I'm sorry. It's just one of my pet peeves. It would be different if Norway was a melting pot of societies. Peoples from all over the world living in Norway but it's fairly homogeneous. It's just one those things for me. People are naming their kids after automobiles in my country. Yeah, that sounds good:

"Volvo, go get your brother Corvair and your sister Pinto".

Anyway, I like Ingrid by itself. I would have preferred Astrid, Dagny, Bente and Hege instead of Alexandra. Too many Alexandras in these families. It's a mouthful. Ingrid Alexandra. Does flow off of my tongue easily. Apparently, the names I like are all old-fashioned names anyway.

If you look at the list for boy's names, they have maintained a strong Norwegian or certainly Scandinavian bent throughout the years. Interesting.

I have to say that I like the name Mette-Marit. I had only heard of one Marit before but never a Mette-Marit and I think the double name works there. It's unique. The thing is that there are no other Dennis' in my family and my brothers and sisters' names are unique as well. Well, at least for 175 years or so. Not sure of before then. So I like that sometimes.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 11:27 am
I have to say that I like the name Mette-Marit. I had only heard of one Marit before but never a Mette-Marit and I think the double name works there. It's unique.
Mette-Marit was a heroine in a series of books for girls from the 1960s. After that the combination of those names became slightly more common, though not very much used.

I wonder who they'll ask to be godparents. And when we will see the first pictures of Ingrid Alexandra.

We know who's going to baptize her, but when?

Ah, all these questions.

"Mette-Marit was a heroine in a series of books for girls from the 1960s. After that the combination of those names became slightly more common, though not very much used.'

Thank you. I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

Yahoo

Norway Princess to Join New Wave of European Queens

OSLO (Reuters) - Norway's day-old royal princess was given the names Ingrid Alexandra on Thursday, and could be joined by other queens on European thrones in the 21st century as monarchies change centuries-old laws of male succession.

Ingrid Alexandra, born on Wednesday to Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit, is in line to be the first queen to rule Norway in more than six centuries, and a poll showed her birth had lifted popular backing for Norway's modern monarchy.

"The new princess's name is Ingrid Alexandra," Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik, standing in the snow outside the royal palace, announced after a cabinet meeting at which Haakon, 30, told the government his daughter's names.

Even some republicans were enthusiastic, saying there was hope for a monarchy that can move with the times. Had Ingrid been born before the law of succession was changed in 1990, any younger brother would have replaced her in line for the crown.

Among European royals Britain's Queen Elizabeth, Denmark's Queen Margrethe and Dutch Queen Beatrix all head monarchies, but changes in the law of succession and a new generation of royal princesses may place more women on the throne in future.

"It is exciting that there will be a new generation of female reigning monarchs in Europe -- if the world wants it that way," Norway's Queen Sonja told NRK television, pointing to newly born princesses in Belgium and the Netherlands.

In Norway's neighbor Sweden, Crown Princess Victoria is heir to her father, King Carl XVI Gustaf, thanks to a change in the law of succession in 1977. In Monaco, Princess Caroline is heir to her father's principality.

The birth of Ingrid, a great great great great granddaughter of Britain's Queen Victoria, means the numbers two, three and four in line to the Norwegian throne are women. Haakon's sister Martha, 32, is third and her baby Maud Angelica fourth.

A poll by Opinion in the daily Aftenposten, taken just after Ingrid was born, showed 75 percent of Norwegians supported the monarchy, up from 68 percent a week ago. Backing for a republic fell to 17 percent from 25 percent.

Ingrid, originally a Norse name, was the ninth most common name in Norway in 2003, with precedents in both Haakon's and Mette-Marit's families. Alexandra is rare in Norway but has a long tradition among European royalty.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the headlines today, somehow I had guessed the baby's name would be Ingrid!! :) Or maybe it is just that I like the name myself... :innocent:

I don't like the second name as much but it goes well with the first name and has some history behind it.

Is it a common thing with norwegian royals to choose only two names? Seems that other royals tend to give their children four names (or five if there's a '-' between the names as in Catharina-Amalia).

Originally posted by Catharina@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 12:16 pm
Is it a common thing with norwegian royals to choose only two names? Seems that other royals tend to give their children four names (or five if there's a '-' between the names as in Catharina-Amalia).
King Harald is the only one born into the family who has only got one name. His sisters have two and three respectively(Ragnhild Alexandra/Astrid Maud Ingeborg), and his children both have two. The line doesn't go back very far, so there aren't *that* many traditions yet.

When King Haakon selected names for himself and Olav he just chose one for each. Both of them had at least four on beforehand, and Queen Maud had something of the same.

I don't know why they give only two names, as opposed to the other royals. Easier for the child to write?

That's odd. I don't remember posting in here before. I must have had though. I have a half dozen posts in here now.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 1:39 pm
That's odd. I don't remember posting in here before. I must have had though. I have a half dozen posts in here now.
It seems like another thread has been put into this one... I was missing one thread, but when I went back in this one I noticed a few of the posts I'd made in that thread in this one. As that had generated into name-talk, perhaps it was fitting.

I guess that's it then.

norwegianne you are so right, we thought that name talk should be in the same threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom