The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-13-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Really surprised to see Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia present together,Sofia is normally left to go alone to these events.

But Juan Carlos accompanied her to the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway and the 70th birthday of King Carl Gustaf.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But Juan Carlos accompanied her to the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway and the 70th birthday of King Carl Gustaf.
Yes the first time they'd been seen together in over 6 months .

Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I am disappointed too. Why is there a tiara event for King Harald and Queen Sonja 80th birthday and King Carl Gustaf's 70th but we don't get one for Prince Charles's 70th? I know he is not King yet but there wasn't one for Queen Elizabeth's 90th. I just don't understand. Why don't the BRF show wear all their jewels and tiaras like they used to but the Scandinavian Royals show theirs off at every opportunity (which I think is a good thing). I don't get it. I want to see the jewels!!! It seems a waste of money and if they are not going to wear them, just sell them to make money for charity. It is so disappointing.

Is there a possibility that the invitations, while indicating black tie, might also say that Tiaras May Be Worn?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Photos from Clarence House
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...372289/photo/1
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...65232650596352
Old 11-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Really like these pictures. They should do more like this. Louis is so cute and chubby.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Fantastic to hear that Juan Carlos and Sofia are attending - I wasn't sure if they would given that there wasn't any British representation at their birthday celebrations (I now know that their relations aren't as close as I thought). I'm looking forward into seeing photos of the celebrations, they're going to be great for us royal watchers.
I also watched the comedy line ups in honour of Charles's birthday - it was very entertaining like the usual entertainment programmes honouring royal milestones are, and Charles and Camilla both seemed to enjoy themselves. There was a good line up on stage (or from my point of view, at least, haha).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The official family portraits are fantastic! I agree, ACO, they should do more pictures like this. Charles’s branch of the family isn’t growing so beautifully. It should be captured whenever possible.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

It looks like there will be a good turn out of foreign royalty for the event, which is nice to see.

I thought the family pictures were lovely. Louis and his cheeks!!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The BRF have cut back on tiara events, for a number of reasons.

1. The Queen's doens't like wearing them due to their weight.

2. They don't want to rub their wealth into the noses of the British public.

3. Many of the aristocracy have had to sell their tiaras to pay death duties while the BRF have been able to protect their jewels by doing two things - i) putting them in the Royal Collection (so can't be sold and actually belong to the nation) and ii) sovereign to sovereign inheritance being death tax free - again giving the BRF a right that isn't held by other members of the British public so let's not publicise too often that we have a right that the rest of the nation doesn't have.

Who will be at the birthday party? We may find out on the night itself.

If William and Kate don't attend (and I do expect them to do so) that means they will have missed every event to celebrate Charles' birthday - there have been three and they have been to none. Harry and Meghan delayed their honeymoon to attend the first one and were overseas for the second while William and Kate didn't attend either the Garden Party or the event organised by Camilla. As this one is organised by The Queen I would expect William to be there. He wouldn't insult the Queen by refusing her invitation.

Bertie, while I think that you are way more informed on Royal matters than I am, I wonder about the BRF's rare tiara events compared to the other Royal Families. I don't think it's about rubbing wealth into noses, as tiara-wearing is the least of BRF wealth-displaying. A single well-attended grouse shoot weekend at Balmoral costs as much as a tiara.

Also, smarter aristos, like the Westminsters, took steps to protect their assets, like the BRF. Other families may have done the same. Besides, pointing to the peers and others who have sold tiaras, like the Kents, will not exactly resonate with British wage earners. Selling off a tiara is not indicative of poverty.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Love the new family photos to mark the Prince's birthday and I share the sentiments that we should see more photos like this in the future!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

I somehow missed these portraits - they’re fantastic! I love how natural they are. It’s great that we finally get to see Louis as an older baby too, I actually think he looks a lot like Edward VII though also his brother George and his father William more recently. George has grown up so much! He’s going to grow up to be a handsome little boy. Little Charlotte is adorable and cheeky looking as ever - she always looks like she’s plotting something
Charles seems like he’s really involved with his family and it’s great that he included them all in his birthday photos. A nice treat.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Nobility

Nice family photo.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Pictures were ta,en on the same day as the one featuring i the earlier documentary (with Charles, Catherine and Louis).
Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely family photos.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Great portraits that show one big happy family. I loved the one where they all seem to be laughing at something. Very relaxed. They got Charles to slow down enough to pose for portraits!! Amazing!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Absolutely love the one where they are laughing...that one needs framed!

LaRae
Old 11-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I just noticed something about the more "reserved" family portrait. Camilla is making a heart with her hands. Didn't notice it at first as I was too busy looking at the faces and missed the heart. Very nice addition to this photo.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure if that was just how her hands were or intentional....seems kinda odd if it was intentional.

LaRae
Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Serene Highness

Marvelous photos......my first thought was a full house, 3 kings and 2 queens
Old 11-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I just noticed something about the more "reserved" family portrait. Camilla is making a heart with her hands. Didn't notice it at first as I was too busy looking at the faces and missed the heart. Very nice addition to this photo.

It's hard to tell if it's intentional or not; I'd love to think it is, but a lot of people, including myself, sometimes put their fingers together in exactly that way when the hands are at rest. Now, if she was making the mini-heart signs with her fingers, there wouldn't be any doubt!