The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad timing for a birthday party. In fact, it is surreal that, when the country is in turmoil, politicians from all parties will take time off to attend a birthday dinner for the PoW.

Oh well do take it up with The Queen for her falling pregnant in the wrong month so in 2018 it would coincide with the announcement of the completed Brexit deal. Such bad timing in 1948 :whistling:

Country ain’t going to burn down because of a party, it’ll still be there tomorrow.

Gosh! Those photos are all over the Internet, including other forums. I thought they were just birthday family photos.

Tiara events don't happen in the UK, any more that is. I used to enjoy theatre and ballet premieres where Diana and others would wear tiaras and I hope the next reign brings them back. It's almost as if the BRF are ashamed to wear family jewels any more.

Yes, I just don't understand. I have wondered why tiaras aren't worn anymore at theater and ballet events. I just don't get it. It could be something to do with the Queen's age and the heaviness of them. I had never thought of that until Lumutqueen mentioned it. I have heard Charles loves to give Camilla jewelry so maybe we will see them again in his reign.

The BRF have cut back on tiara events, for a number of reasons.

1. The Queen's doens't like wearing them due to their weight.

2. They don't want to rub their wealth into the noses of the British public.

3. Many of the aristocracy have had to sell their tiaras to pay death duties while the BRF have been able to protect their jewels by doing two things - i) putting them in the Royal Collection (so can't be sold and actually belong to the nation) and ii) sovereign to sovereign inheritance being death tax free - again giving the BRF a right that isn't held by other members of the British public so let's not publicise too often that we have a right that the rest of the nation doesn't have.

Who will be at the birthday party? We may find out on the night itself.

If William and Kate don't attend (and I do expect them to do so) that means they will have missed every event to celebrate Charles' birthday - there have been three and they have been to none. Harry and Meghan delayed their honeymoon to attend the first one and were overseas for the second while William and Kate didn't attend either the Garden Party or the event organised by Camilla. As this one is organised by The Queen I would expect William to be there. He wouldn't insult the Queen by refusing her invitation.

I really hope they attend because if they don't, we can depend on the tabloid press to go crazy, as usual. :bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad timing for a birthday party. In fact, it is surreal that, when the country is in turmoil, politicians from all parties will take time off to attend a birthday dinner for the PoW.

Sometimes I wonder if this may be the whole point of a monarchy nowadays. To give the country the feeling and security that some crucial things never change, even in the most troubled times. So if you see it that way, it's almost perfect timing for the birthday of a future king:p

Some facts:

Well, if the Cambridges don't turn up to the evening celebrations at BP, it would be an insult to Charles, not the Queen. - But William would never du that to his father, so (as you wrote) pretty sure that they'll be there.

------------------

1. Well, the Queen stopped wearing tiaras during the Royal Variety Performance in the 1980s (the first time was in 1987, although she did wear one in 1989, which was the last time).
2. Despite celebrating her Jubilees in 1977, 2002 and 2012 like no other monarch, she has never (with the exception of her black-tie 60th Birthday Performance at the Royal Opera House in 1986) marked her milestones with tiara-events.
3. But tiaras are still quite common in the British Royal calendar, and is (as you know) still used during the state opening and during white-tie events such as the diplomatic reception and state banquets. - The Queen also used tiaras during all her state/commonwealth visits from 1953 to 2015.
4. And some of Charles' approval-ratings were at about 70% from 2012 to 2017, but went down due to the 20th anniversary of Dianas death.

--------------------

Some of today's front pages:

The Telegraph.

The Times.

The Sun.

The Mail.

Thank you, Royal Norway. I have wondered about the stats on when the tiaras stopped being worn at the Royal Variety Performance. The other info is interesting too. Do you foresee tiaras being worn again for Royal Variety Performance, ballets, special birthdays in future reigns?

I think Charles seems to have more of an interest in jewellery, we know he has bought a number of pieces for Camilla and did so for Diana as well. It has also been said numerous times that he likes to entertain in style. I can see him hosting more tiara events than the Queen and I certainly think there will be more photos from such events, remember we don't even get photos from the Diplomatic reception with one or two exceptions.

Last edited:
It has more to do with changed society than with personal preferences. When the dresscode for premières and galas is no longer white tie, then this logically leads to fewer diadems as these were originally only worn in combination with white tie.

Slowly we have seen diadems appearing here and there at black tie events, but very rarely. It is out of the question that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will go to the première of Mamma Mia III or a new James Bond, dressed in white tie and bedecked with diamonds in the hair. It is no longer 1956 or so.

Love the pictures released today, especially the less formal one where they are laughing. And lovely to see George, Charlotte and Louis.

Also, The Queen and her family don’t go to the formal opera, ballets and balls anymore. Galas are now watered down. I think they kinda lost interest over time. The younger royals don’t seem interested at all. Perhaps things will get back to some of that in Charles’s reign.

I love how Clarence House gave a nod to Diana today by including her in their photo memories video of Charles. No matter how long it’s been, she’s not forgotten. Charles and Camilla even hosted a tea at Spencer House this afternoon. Just slight nods.

Last edited:
so Will and Kate are there.... in fact early arrivals, I presume

I guess family arrive first to be on hand to help welcome other guests

Thank you, Royal Norway. I have wondered about the stats on when the tiaras stopped being worn at the Royal Variety Performance. The other info is interesting too. Do you foresee tiaras being worn again for Royal Variety Performance, ballets, special birthdays in future reigns?
You're very welcome! :flowers:

Royal Variety Performances: Well, after so many years, that would really surprise me, but one never knows.

Special birthdays in future reigns: Charles: No, unlike some others here, I can't see the future King Charles suddenly starting with tiara-events during milestone-birthdays (not that he's likely to experience that many, anyway, due to his age) after what will probably be a reign of 70 to 80-years without it.

William: Same as above.

--------------------

It has more to do with changed society than with personal preferences. When the dresscode for premières and galas is no longer white tie, then this logically leads to fewer diadems as these were originally only worn in combination with white tie.

Slowly we have seen diadems appearing here and there at black tie events, but very rarely. It is out of the question that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will go to the première of Mamma Mia III or a new James Bond, dressed in white tie and bedecked with diamonds in the hair. It is no longer 1956 or so.
Agree! - But if we take the Royal Variety Performance: With some few exceptions, that event hasn't been white-tie since the 1960s, but the Queen still used tiaras up to 1989.

--------------------

Well, we're approaching dinner time, so it should be interesting to see if the Press Association is allowed inside BP to film the royal procession through the State Rooms (I.e. the Queen & Charles, Philip & Camilla and the Cambridges/Sussexes), as they did for his 60th Birthday in 2008: Getty Images video.

Last edited:
I was reading Rob Jobson's biography of Charles and he was telling a story about an event and was saying that the royasl arrive last and in reverse order of importance so if the Sussexes are already on their way that would suggest, if the same practice is in place, that everyone else, other than the Cambridges and Charles and Camilla, are already there.

It will be interesting to see.

I think thats true for official events but I think at one like this surely a lot of the RF will arrive ahead of foreign royals such as King and Queen of Norway etc.

Also the DM has a pic of Prince and Princess Michael which it even says is taken as they left KP for the party, meaning its possible those first pics were of Cambridges and Sussex's leaving KP.

IS there a live feed somewhere to watch arrivals?

Last edited:
Kate's hair and earrings look amazing!

LaRae

Pity we won't see any of the Gala photos from inside the Palace unless Marie Chantall sends us a tweet ;)

Thanks eya! :flowers:

More photos of the Regent-Couple and the CP-Couple (MM looks great BTW):
https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/td5beea6
https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/editorial/td5beddc

(P.S. Click on the links more than once, if they're not working.)

--------------------

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
No, nothing will be released from inside in terms of images, we have been told. There are one or two very special things to come, though. Details soon!

Hmm????

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Very nice toast from The Queen.

God, I hope some official photos are released.

Oh, very nice! They both look wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom