The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I notice that Richard Key didn't say what his sources were - so is he making this up or did he ask guests to get his information.

Normally the author of such articles identifies there sources e.g. the sources for comments included in the toasts at Harry's wedding were named but not this time.

So this may be Kay having sources who don't want to be named OR he could be making it up.

This isn't officially released information.
Considering that Richard Kay is still mourning those "exclusive insights" given by Diana herself during the golden 90's, i will take this article with a grain of salt, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
My husband hears me talk about this stuff and is truly shocked. He shakes his head and will say 'So Prince Charles was having an affair with Camilla and her husband was having affairs too and they were all OK with it but they made out that Princess Diana was mad because she objected? I think I am with Princess Diana'. I guess unless you are used to the ways of the upper classes, as we are via forums like this, it dosn't make sense to most people.
Well Diana had her affairs too...
Not seen not caught. Then the Press arrived....

Old 11-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
That is the British way.

Remember that they also regard the receptions after weddings as private events unlike many, if not all, of the continental royals who believe in having everything covered.

Different families so different rules.
Crown princess Victoria and Daniel Westling indeed had their whole wedding covered but most of the other royal houses just show the main thing (the wedding itself) and might release a few pictures of other events (just like the British did with the recent weddings where pictures and even video of the couple leaving Windsor for the evening party was publicly shared). In some cases arrivals at a venue are photographed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
My husband hears me talk about this stuff and is truly shocked. He shakes his head and will say 'So Prince Charles was having an affair with Camilla and her husband was having affairs too and they were all OK with it.
To me that is also incomprehensible but as stated above by iluvbertie it seems that part of the upper class thought that way (I don't understand how they could reconcile that with the vows they made at their wedding). Luckily, it seems that the younger generation no longer shares these ideas.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Crown princess Victoria and Daniel Westling indeed had their whole wedding covered but most of the other royal houses just show the main thing (the wedding itself) and might release a few pictures of other events (just like the British did with the recent weddings where pictures and even video of the couple leaving Windsor for the evening party was publicly shared). In some cases arrivals at a venue are photographed.

Actually at the Crown Princely Weddings in Denmark, Spain, Norway and Belgium parts of the recptions where shon o national TV. Only at the dtuch Wedding there was nothing from the receptions at the weding of Willem-Alexander they released on pic from it but that was it.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That is the British way.

[...]

"The British way" is pretty much the same in many other European monarchies. We have not seen inside pictures either from the 80th birthday anniversaries of Queen Sofía or King Juan Carlos, we have not seen inside pictures from the 50th birthday of King Willem-Alexander, etc. These are -like in the UK- seen as "private" and therefore were barely mentioned on the official website and shielded from media. I remember Queen Beatrix' 60th birthday: a group of citizens organized a mass choir outside of the Royal Palace and wanted to bring a spontaneous serenade to the Queen.

Queen Beatrix seems to have objected to this idea: it was not in the schedule and she probably saw it as an attempt to turn her so desired private affair into a public one. The Queen's defensive reaction to a spontaneous show of adherence was not understood by the public and was seen as a confirmation of her image as an "aloof & hautain" Queen. This to show that the British are not unique in this and how difficult it is to have a desire for a private party while the public would like to see it all.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Actually at the Crown Princely Weddings in Denmark, Spain, Norway and Belgium parts of the recptions where shon o national TV. Only at the dtuch Wedding there was nothing from the receptions at the weding of Willem-Alexander they released on pic from it but that was it.
Thanks for adding that piece of information. The 'complaints' however stretch much further than just the heir. Did all other royal houses also have live coverage from the heir's siblings' weddings? I can't remember but apparently mainly used my Dutch point of reference (and the Luxembourg grand ducal family), so might be wrong.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
There was a very clear unwritten rule that applied across the aristocracy - largely due to the 'arranged marriages' that occurred within that class until the 1960s in many cases:

at least two sons - the heir and spare - and then the wife was as free as the husband to sleep around so long as she was discreet.

The only two women who didn't have that freedom was the wife of the monarch and the wife of the heir to the throne as for them to sleep with any man, other than their husband, was treason. It was on those charges that both Anne Boleyn and Kathryn Howard were executed - for treason.
Yes, but it certainly wasn't compulsory for members of the aristocracy to be unfaithful to each other, nor do I believe it was extremely widespread in that class, even in the 19th century and early 20th centuries, despite what certain biographies and social histories have inferred.

There were plenty of aristocrats who remained faithful to each other in every century, adultery WAS more accepted in certain 'fast' circles than others, and that included hunting and polo insiders in the 20th century who knew each other very well. And the 1970s and 1980s when the Parker Bowles were married, (and theirs wasn't an arranged marriage) were very different to arranged marriages of generations before, and even more removed from Tudor times.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Is this the thread to discuss adultery?! Nope. Let’s stop now.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks for adding that piece of information. The 'complaints' however stretch much further than just the heir. Did all other royal houses also have live coverage from the heir's siblings' weddings? I can't remember but apparently mainly used my Dutch point of reference (and the Luxembourg grand ducal family), so might be wrong.

In Denmark and Sweden they had live Coverage from the reception at Joachim's first Wedding (not from the second) and in Sweden from Carl Philip's Wedding. Dont know if there was live Coverage at the reception of Märtha Louise's Wedding but there where pictures. Also from the weddings of Infanta Elena and Cristina there where in any case pictures from the recptions but i don't know if there was also TV-Coverage.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Majesty

Thanks, so it looks like it is mainly the Scandinavians who are extremely open to the media on these kind of occassions (also thinking about all the parties that !argrethe likes to throw). The UK is more in line with the rest of Europe.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Scandinavians are very open, democratic societys and I think as part of that their respective royal families regard it as some sort of a right of the people to join in and, in a way, have a chance to participate in great milestone occasions, at least via media, instead of celebrating behind closed doors only among themselves.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've noticed about how the British do things is reflected by the Queen, herself. If its an occasion that celebrates the monarchy such as Trooping the Color, Jubilees etc, its time for a public celebration as the monarchy belongs to the people. If its a personal milestone such as a birthday, wedding anniversary or such, other than the official Queen's birthday (Trooping the Color), HM prefers that there isn't a huge, public fuss and marks it privately.

The British royal family is consistently mirroring the monarchy of the UK and the Commonwealth and we, as the onlookers, want to know and see *everything* pertaining to these people. With drawing the line between public and private, this family does sometimes get to be just a family once in a while and keep things to themselves out of the public eye.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Courtier

The Times has an absolutely beautiful feature on Charles with a large number of new and never before seen pictures of Charles for his 70th.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine/...t-70-vb029l6lc

Of note, there's a third picture of the whole Wales family series that's just delightful. There's also a great picture of Charles looking at some papers in a private room at Dumfries House in which he's the spitting image of Phillip.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sadly that article is behind a pay-wall so only the picture of Charles with Louis is available for those of us who don't subscribe to The Times.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Sadly that article is behind a pay-wall so only the picture of Charles with Louis is available for those of us who don't subscribe to The Times.
But I enjoyed seeing the picture of Charles and Louis. A pity we don't see more pictures of Charles with his grandchildren.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
The Times has an absolutely beautiful feature on Charles with a large number of new and never before seen pictures of Charles for his 70th.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine/...t-70-vb029l6lc

Of note, there's a third picture of the whole Wales family series that's just delightful. There's also a great picture of Charles looking at some papers in a private room at Dumfries House in which he's the spitting image of Phillip.
For those of us who are not subscribers could you describe the other photos?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
For those of us who are not subscribers could you describe the other photos?
The third picture of the series of the entire Wales family has already surfaced on Twitter: https://twitter.com/victoriaarbiter/...56956690272256

The other striking ones, to me, were:
  • a picture of Charles at work in his "garden office" at Highgrove, sunnies on, and at least two mail bags/boxes, as well as an office phone.
  • the picture I mentioned of him in a private sitting room at Dumfries House (room is very English Country - lots of green florals and a huge basket of logs) in which he's looking down at a folder of papers; he really does look *exactly* like Philip in it.
  • a couple of pictures of him feeding his prize chickens wearing Wellies, chinos, and a pink-ish dress shirt
  • A lovely shot of he and Anne absolutely gutting themselves over something - looks like it was taken at BP
  • a candid pic of Charles, William and Harry taken during the photo shoot for the RAF centenary celebrations that they used for his birthday stamp

Somehow I managed to luck into that "become a registered user and get access to two articles a week" arrangement that the Times had; it doesn't appear that they have it any more.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It’s possible to read the article simply by registering & doesn’t require payment.

It is a lovely article & some great photos. I enjoyed the pied piper pic of Charles with his chickens following him & all the family photos are wonderful.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have to pay. I have tried to register in the past and always get told that I have to pay and I am not going to do that - that there is no 'free' number of articles per week/month/year as happens on other sites.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

hel, thank you for the descriptions. Some of those photos sound as though they were taken at the same time as some of the footage for the recent documentary for Charles's 70 birthday. I remember the scene of Charles and Anne laughing uproariously right before the Commonwealth meeting at BP, and the feeding the chickens sounds familiar, too.

Love the photo of Louis grabbing on to Charles--that's the one I've wanted to see ever since Camilla mentioned it existed. Thank you so much for linking that!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have such a free subscription where I can read up to two articles each week from the Times. Is it allowed to link to just the pics for those who want to see them and not read the article?
Like this? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserv...2C0&resize=685