The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-27-2020, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personally it sounds like they are simply referring to the lockdown rules that are in force in the Uk for all at the moment. The rule is you can go out once a day for exercise but throughout it all we've been told you can go out in your own garden so I suspect Charles would be able to go out in his own gardens at Birkhall with common sense dictating he would do so alone while he in infected.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
...it says that Charles is allowed outside to exercise once a day. That seems odd. I wonder if a doctor is “allowing” it? It sounds like he’s in jail! Surely the next king can go outside whenever he wishes...
It's the same for every Brit; and the guidelines also advise to stay close to home and not go anywhere on public transport.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM
Courtier

It's the rule for everyone, as other people have said. It does sound a bit like we're all imprisoned in the Tower of London and are only allowed out to walk round the courtyard once a day :-) , but we're all allowed out to exercise once a day, somewhere local. And you can go out in your own garden, or on your own drive. I think every person in my street has washed their car in the last 4 days!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It's the rule for everyone, as other people have said. It does sound a bit like we're all imprisoned in the Tower of London and are only allowed out to walk round the courtyard once a day :-) , but we're all allowed out to exercise once a day, somewhere local. And you can go out in your own garden, or on your own drive. I think every person in my street has washed their car in the last 4 days!
Well that's the law. How it is interpreted, its not for an amateur to say. But I saw on a news programme that driving a long way out in the country to go for a walk or take your dog out, isn't supposed to be permitted..as you can exercise locally without taking a trip. Possibly Charles is sticking to the rules even though he has his own grounds because he knows that a lot of people were flouting rules.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:21 PM
Courtier

They want to make sure he doesn't start pruning something when he probably should avoid anything too strenuous.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I was surprised to read that as well, I mean he’s all by himself essentially - if he goes out in his gardens, he’s not going to infect anyone. That said, now that I think about it, it probably has to do with him pushing himself to hard even in just strolling the grounds....
That’s what made me wonder- is he very weak, or poorly, or is the “stay in your house” order that strictly interpreted?
Hope he’s okay.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
That’s what made me wonder- is he very weak, or poorly, or is the “stay in your house” order that strictly interpreted?
Hope he’s okay.
Oh no, Charles is healthy and strong......my thinking was that, despite this, he IS 71 and so is still vulnerable (though probably better off than people half his age). Maybe walking is not considered exercise in the traditional sense - it's not strenuous (generally - I'm not referring to power walking). It's also a good idea to get fresh air.........
Old 03-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am sure his doctor has given him strict guidelines to adhere to regards what he can and cannot do.
I wish HRH a good recovery.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What it all could mean too is that the PoW wants to be shown as adhering to the guidelines imposed just like everyone else is at this time. The article is illustrating just how Charles is coping with self isolation and keeping himself busy from home.

This is a man that takes brisk walks to relax and is always doing something. He's the furthest thing from the definition of a couch potato that I could think of. Camilla, on the other hand, is probably relishing being curled up on the couch with warm blankets, a cup of tea and a good book. I'm a Camilla.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 03-28-2020, 12:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

VF doesn't have access to Charles' medical records or an ear to his doctor. They are making statements on the quarantine guidelines in the UK. It is pretty easy to understand that Charles would follow the same.

As for 'the future king'.....as we have seen this virus has no respect for titles and position.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Oh no, Charles is healthy and strong......my thinking was that, despite this, he IS 71 and so is still vulnerable (though probably better off than people half his age). Maybe walking is not considered exercise in the traditional sense - it's not strenuous (generally - I'm not referring to power walking). It's also a good idea to get fresh air.........
His hands give away the notion of "healthy and strong".
Old 03-28-2020, 04:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
What are you referring to? In any case, he’s always seemed healthy and strong to me. He looks good, he eats well....Charles is considered to be generally fit and healthy. Do you know something we don’t know?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I believe that Leopoldine is referring to Charles suffering from rosacea. He's had this all his life. Its defined as: "Rosacea (roe-ZAY-she-uh) is a common skin condition that causes redness and visible blood vessels in your face. It may also produce small, red, pus-filled bumps. These signs and symptoms may flare up for weeks to months and then go away for a while."

One of the effects of rosacea is edema and that is what causes his fingers to swell up. Its not an indicator that Charles is in poor health but this condition could possibly be exacerbated by this virus. Older people (like me) are more prone to having underlying conditions such as COPD, chronic bronchitis and even a common cold and other pulmonary ailments which when mixed with COVID-19, can seriously make things so much worse and dangerous.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I believe that Leopoldine is referring to Charles suffering from rosacea. He's had this all his life. Its defined as: "Rosacea (roe-ZAY-she-uh) is a common skin condition that causes redness and visible blood vessels in your face. It may also produce small, red, pus-filled bumps. These signs and symptoms may flare up for weeks to months and then go away for a while."

One of the effects of rosacea is edema and that is what causes his fingers to swell up. Its not an indicator that Charles is in poor health but this condition could possibly be exacerbated by this virus. Older people (like me) are more prone to having underlying conditions such as COPD, chronic bronchitis and even a common cold and other pulmonary ailments which when mixed with COVID-19, can seriously make things so much worse and dangerous.
Robert Jobson has said that the Prince has had chest infections, so if that’s the case - and associated with rosacea - then it is worrisome because of how especially vulnerable he would be with pulmonary issues.

Of course, Charles isn’t healthy now, but in general he is quite robust and that should help see him through.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Hardly.

Like his father he has 'sausage fingers'. He was born with them. Queen Mary even commented on them when she saw him in 1948.

Philip also has them and he is 98 so hardly an indication of someone who is unhealthy or not strong.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:11 AM
Majesty

I found myself astonished at the number of people who have moaned online and in the DF about Charles and Camilla being tested. Both spend their time helping to oil the wheels of trade, innovation, diplomacy, etc. On behalf of what people would think was an ungrateful nation if they didn't know better. Charles is 71 and his mother, our Queen is 93(?) And both still put in amazing days of work and while HM reluctantly has stepped back at this time, Charles had not until I guess he felt tired and decided to leave for Balmoral early for Easter.

Just from what we saw of his interaction with people from the 13th of March until he left was stunning (to be honest it made me feel tired). I do not know if the NHS is tracking contacts of the infected but I wonder how many of the people he met were infected. Even poor Prince Albert was sitting across the table from him and how many droplets touched the table or the paperwork that was moving around from infected people

As to the crammed reception? Anyone could have breathed on him just as someone did on BoJo. If they tracked everyone Charles mane would be there and his age and the fact he was unwell would seem a no brainer. As is the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Rothersay were in Scotland who has it's own health system.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Marg, the nastiness towards Charles and the BRF never fails to amaze me. Even in normal times, there’s an undercurrent of deep resentment towards them. If I see nasty, cruel comments on Twitter, I block them - I can’t deal with that kind of inhumanity.

I’m glad Charles continues to do well...
Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I found myself astonished at the number of people who have moaned online and in the DF about Charles and Camilla being tested. Both spend their time helping to oil the wheels of trade, innovation, diplomacy, etc. On behalf of what people would think was an ungrateful nation if they didn't know better. Charles is 71 and his mother, our Queen is 93(?) And both still put in amazing days of work and while HM reluctantly has stepped back at this time, Charles had not until I guess he felt tired and decided to leave for Balmoral early for Easter.

Just from what we saw of his interaction with people from the 13th of March until he left was stunning (to be honest it made me feel tired). I do not know if the NHS is tracking contacts of the infected but I wonder how many of the people he met were infected. Even poor Prince Albert was sitting across the table from him and how many droplets touched the table or the paperwork that was moving around from infected people

As to the crammed reception? Anyone could have breathed on him just as someone did on BoJo. If they tracked everyone Charles mane would be there and his age and the fact he was unwell would seem a no brainer. As is the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Rothersay were in Scotland who has it's own health system.
I think the complaints about testing is due to the general situation regarding testing in the UK, rather than a criticism of the BRF.
My friend is a Colorectal Surgeon in the UK, with symptoms of the common cold and a temperature >37.8. Nevertheless, his hospital did not test him, but asked him to self-isolate for 14 days - this is commonplace for NHS staff (although hopefully about to change). He has therefore been at home, rather than operating on cancer patients before the Covid peak, and has been unable to undertake training geared towards Covid.
Although he's fairly pro-Royal, I can imagine him asking WTF??? if I told him that Prince Charles has been tested with some minor symptoms, yet he hasn't.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Is rosacea an illness that is hereditary?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes and No.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/rosacea#inheritance

Quote:
Because rosacea is a complex disease with both genetic and environmental influences, it does not have a straightforward pattern of inheritance. Studies suggest that people with rosacea are four times more likely to have a family history of the disorder than people without the condition. This increased risk is likely due in part to shared genetic factors, but it may also be related to environment and other nongenetic factors that are shared by members of a family.