General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla, Part 1: September 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've been seeing that online and comparisons being made with the budgets of other European Royal Houses.

Interesting isn't it! Our monarchy appears to be extremely generously funded compared to others but the devil is always in the detail so I'm not sure if these comparisons are valid. I wonder what the counter-argument and financial facts would look like.

I think it's probably because his mother virtually never got to go to a restaurant that they do this.

It also makes sense to go out in such a small place like Ballater versus London which would likely be a security nightmare.

He is well known for supporting local businesses at all times but even more so at times of trouble. I am not sure if this is the same restaurant but there was a building badly damaged by storms and Charles has funded its restoration etc etc. through his trusts. Not sure of all the financial side but he has supported it anyway.

A few years ago there were really bad floods and he went to see the shop owners and asked them how he could help and they asked him to open one of his shops in the town to attract more people to the high street and I believe I am correct in saying that he did.

Interesting isn't it! Our monarchy appears to be extremely generously funded compared to others but the devil is always in the detail so I'm not sure if these comparisons are valid. I wonder what the counter-argument and financial facts would look like.

I saw another one and they had Princess Benedikte of Denmark's photo down as the Monarch of Denmark and I had a quite chuckle ;)

Madame Tussauds in London has unveiled its waxworks of King Charles and Queen Camilla ahead of the Coronation!

Last edited:
The republican supporting Guardian has been running a series called 'Cost of the Crown', digging up a lot of financial information, which has been interesting IMO but this latest article is scraping the barrel. Many of us are appalled to learn that some of our own ancestors were slave owners, so I think it's low to try and taint Charles by association. However, I did enjoy reading that some of Charles's ancestors had common surnames such as Tucker, Smith and Fish! https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rles-owned-slave-plantations-documents-reveal

Unfortunately many of our ancestors were slave owners including my own.:ohmy: The Mildred Porteus Hodgson listed on Charles' Bowes-Lyon side is also on my mother's tree. Small world. Very glad to read Charles is supporting further research into slave history, an “appalling atrocity”.

Camilla's is very nice. I wouldn't say either of C3's is very flattering.

I like the photos, their love shines through.

That photo of him in the trash can may be the only time he's worn blue jeans?

The republican supporting Guardian has been running a series called 'Cost of the Crown', digging up a lot of financial information, which has been interesting IMO but this latest article is scraping the barrel. Many of us are appalled to learn that some of our own ancestors were slave owners, so I think it's low to try and taint Charles by association. However, I did enjoy reading that some of Charles's ancestors had common surnames such as Tucker, Smith and Fish! https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rles-owned-slave-plantations-documents-reveal
That lineage is from the QEQM.

That lineage is from the QEQM.
Yes, SirGyamfi, the Smith connected to slavery comes from Charles' grandmother, the Queen Mother, born Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon whose father Claude's mother was Frances Dora Smith. Dora's family were directly connected to Virginia plantation slave owners. Unfortunately these same Virginia slave owners are also in my own ancestral lineage. This makes King Charles III and/or the royal family as responsible for slavery as I am. The Guardian article mentioned above has really stretched themselves. Unfortunately people will now believe that the royal family themselves were slave owners. :ohmy::sad:

Typical nonsense from The Guardian. If we all traced our family histories back several centuries, we'd probably all find someone somewhere who did something we're not proud of.

Typical nonsense from The Guardian. If we all traced our family histories back several centuries, we'd probably all find someone somewhere who did something we're not proud of.

Complete agreement although slavery is a pretty big deal under the "not proud of" category.

Yes, SirGyamfi, the Smith connected to slavery comes from Charles' grandmother, the Queen Mother, born Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon whose father Claude's mother was Frances Dora Smith. Dora's family were directly connected to Virginia plantation slave owners. Unfortunately these same Virginia slave owners are also in my own ancestral lineage. This makes King Charles III and/or the royal family as responsible for slavery as I am. The Guardian article mentioned above has really stretched themselves. Unfortunately people will now believe that the royal family themselves were slave owners. :ohmy::sad:
But that’s from her line of the family not the BRF themselves and obviously it’s not a nice thing but the guardian is digging low for such information. This only affects to the main line of the BRF. I wonder why it’s just become a discovery to the guardian up till now

The Guardian is currently obsessed with finding links to slavery. It recently suggested that the picture of a ship should be removed from the coat of arms of the city of Manchester and the crests of Manchester United and Manchester City, because someone might think that a ship had something to do with slavery. Now it's the Royal Family. It'll be another institution next week. I'm not saying that slavery isn't an important issue, but with The Guardian it just seems to be for the sake of finding a way to attack people/institutions.

Last edited:
But that’s from her line of the family not the BRF themselves and obviously it’s not a nice thing but the guardian is digging low for such information. This only affects to the main line of the BRF. I wonder why it’s just become a discovery to the guardian up till now
I agree, and one of the Queen Mother's Smith ancestors was a first cousin of William Wilberforce so there were abolitionists in her family as well.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using The Royals Community mobile app

The Guardian is on two campaigns at the moment - to criticise the monarchy at every turn and to highlight the links every institution public and private has, no matter how tenuous, to slavery. Old, not really news

According to "Hello!", which cites "The Sunday Times", which has the following behind a paywall, King Charles III. has lowered the temperature of the pool in Buckingham Palace.
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...kingham-palace-pool-lower-water-termperature/

Brrrrr! Praised be, what makes tough (as we say in Germany...).

"Over the past 80 years, nearly every member of the royal family has learnt to swim at Buckingham Palace's pool."

This is in line with other actions of the King: He installed solar panels on Clarence House, "Around half of his office and domestic energy use comes from renewable sources such as woodchip boilers, air-source heat pumps, solar panels and 'green' electricity."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom