General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla, Part 1: September 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two regal couples look very comfortable and happy in each others company. Glad they got to spend time together at Windsor Castle. It seems not so long ago they were meeting Her Late Majesty there.

Thank you for the update on the Scottish events. I am very much looking forward to them.

I was wondering if we'd see Philippe & Mathilde visit with Charles and Camilla!

After Trooping the Color, The Order of the Garter and the Ascots, I missed Queen Elisabeth Ii so much

We had for the first time in the British Royal family and during this main Events:

A King and a Queen who are divorced and have Children of their own. They are not Parents of the Prince of Wales ,future King.
A Prince, Duke of York, the King's Brother who was banned.
A king's Son who left his Country.
King Charles III is popular , but his reign will not be easy.

there is no law that says that the king and queen have to be the parents of the Prince of Wales

there is no law that says that the king and queen have to be the parents of the Prince of Wales

So true - it is just that it has been well over 200 years since the Prince of Wales wasn't the child of either the King or Queen. William is Charles' son of course.

The last time a Prince of Wales wasn't the child of the Sovereign was George III who was the grandson of George II and thus although he was Prince of Wales was never The Duke of Cornwall or Duke of Rothesay and didn't have the income of the Duchy of Cornwall estate.

well times change. There has not been a king who was divorced and remarried but now there is.

Hmm, well Henry VIII had three marriages that were annulled (even if most people think of them as divorces) but even on that strict argument he remarried after the death of Jane Seymour so Charles is not the first King to remarry.

That was a long time ago and it was compartatively rare for a king to have several annulled marriages. In modern times, there have been no kings who divorced and remarried and who have a queen who is also divorced and has her own children and grandchildren. But that's life. Social customs change, and there are changes in the RF as well as in other families.

You are right Denville that's life in modern times. I just wanted to share my opinion about the now British Royal Family.

That was a long time ago and it was compartatively rare for a king to have several annulled marriages. In modern times, there have been no kings who divorced and remarried and who have a queen who is also divorced and has her own children and grandchildren. But that's life. Social customs change, and there are changes in the RF as well as in other families.

You are right Denville that's life in modern times. I just wanted to share my opinion about the now British Royal Family.

In my humble opinion you have not one but several points here!

Because me personally: I don't want a modern Royal Family! I want tradition, shiny crowns and some good old family stuff.

Modern? What is that? An elected president? :eek: Thanks, but NO way! A meritocracy, where one is a valuable, outstanding member of society, until this person goes to jail?

We've had past kings who've murdered their nephews, drowned their brothers in butts of malmsey wine or had their wives executed. I think, in the 21st century when divorce is so common, we can cope with divorce and remarriage

We've had past kings who've murdered their nephews, drowned their brothers in butts of malmsey wine or had their wives executed...

Yes, but with all repect: This was way back! And in the medieval times and in the renaissance everything was unbelievably brutal!

I am pretty convinced, nobody wants to go back to witch burning and the crusades.

Time to move on and get back to the topic of the thread. Further off topic posts will be deleted.

It was part of the King's birthday and coronation honours list 2023. I wonder who took the initiative because other than Scotland (Thistle) a about 2 weeks later, Camilla did not receive other Commonwealth-related honors.

I suspect, as Queen, she will get all the relevant orders in the next year or two.

The Order of Thistle was given to her in good time for the events of yesterday.

It was part of the King's birthday and coronation honours list 2023. I wonder who took the initiative because other than Scotland (Thistle) a about 2 weeks later, Camilla did not receive other Commonwealth-related honors.

I wouldn't call the Order of the Thistle a "Commonwealth-related honor" as Scotland is part of the United Kingdom. The Queen was awarded the honors that are in the personal gift of the Sovereign (the Order of the Garter, the Order of the Thistle, and the Royal Victorian Order). Getting other UK orders of chivalry such as the Orders of the Bath and of Saint Michael and Saint George (which, I believe, Prince Philip and the Queen Mother did not have either) or the Order of the British Empire, is a matter to be decided by the British government as those honors are not awarded on the King's personal discretion.

Similarly a decision to award the Queen Commonwealth-related honors such as the Order of Australia, the Order of Canada, or the Order of New Zealand would have to be made by the Australians, the Canadians, or the New Zealanders, respectively. Prince Philip held all those 3 aforementioned Commonwealth honors plus the Canadian Order of Military Merit.

Last edited:
Of coutse, I meant other than the New Zealand one but didn't phrase it clearly.

I think she'll get the Order of Canada relatively quickly, maybe at the time of the first visit there. It might come as a change to the constitution of the order to make the monarch's consort an ex officio companion, to bring things into parity with the Governor General's spouse. This was proposed during the reign of Elizabeth II but nixed by Prince Philip, who wished to receive it neither automatically nor as a foreigner receiving an honorary appointment (as his mother-in-law ultimately received it).

The Order of Australia is, I suspect, less likely.

Last edited:
People eventually started saying "the old Queen" to mean Victoria. We'll probably do that in time, but, at the moment, I still automatically think of Elizabeth II as the Queen.

Everytime I see the words the queen I think we're talking about Elizabeth. I can't get used to anyone else being queen.

I think it will take several years for all of us to associate 'The Queen' with Camilla. For the older ones amongst us, it might never happen. I was born in coronation year so to me, 'The Queen' is Elizabeth II and the current queen consort is Queen Camilla.

I'm still training myself to stop associating "The Queen" with Elizabeth II as well.

I think 'The Queen' will always be Elizabeth ll to me. Although I mean no disrespect to Camilla or anyone else.

If someone says 'The Queen' to me to mean the late Queen I get confused. I am an older lady and had only known Elizabeth as the Queen but now I associate the term 'The Queen' with Camilla.

King Charles III and Queen Camilla have finally moved into Buckingham Palace.

That was confirmed in the sovereign gran report, they will move in after the private apartments in the north wing are refurbished, which is the last part of the plan and not due to be complete until 2027.

I thought they didn't want to move to Buckingham Palace? I'm a bit confused

Well we have 'eco protestors' who spend their days blocking ambulances, fire engines and other traffic on roads so nothing surprises me at all. They will do anything that gets them headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom