Camilla & Charles: What Is Your Opinion Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for digging up the article, Skydragon. Very interesting!

BeatrixFan said:
Agnes, just because Diana is dead doesn't make her exalted or free of sin. He's free to criticise her just as any of us are. Do we stop criticising Hitler because he's dead?

I don't mean that he couldn't have said it but I mean he shouldn't. I only wonder why he said NOW when she is dead. Didn't he realise she was stupid when she had been alive? So why he hadn't said it ? Because Diana was a star? And why he didn't praise Camilla 2 or even 10 yrs ago ? Because she wasn't Charles' wife then? For me it is just the sycophancy - more disgusting because Diana is dead. Honestly - I don't think it does Camilla any good. And please - Diana wasn't Hitler or Stalin :D

Well I'm sure he did say it. But why shouldnt' he say it now she's dead? I wasn't comparing her to Hitler and where did Stalin get a mention? Let's be mature about this - the woman is dead, that doesn't mean she is free from her mistakes or criticism.

BeatrixFan said:
Well I'm sure he did say it.

I am not so sure :) And what about praising Camilla some years ago? Did he praise her when she wasn't Charles' wife ?

But why shouldnt' he say it now she's dead? I wasn't comparing her to Hitler and where did Stalin get a mention? Let's be mature about this - the woman is dead, that doesn't mean she is free from her mistakes or criticism.

I think that you are missing my point :). I am not trying to say that nobody should critisize Diana because she is dead. I critisize her myself ;) I mean that it is very suspicious that he starts saying these things NOW - when Diana is dead and Camilla is Duchess. That's all. Why I mention Stalin? Another monster :) By the way - I am huge fan of Camilla :)

I meant, I'm sure he said Diana was stupid before she died. I was under the impression that you meant nobody could criticize Diana now she was dead but obviously I misunderstood and my apologies.

BeatrixFan said:
I meant, I'm sure he said Diana was stupid before she died. I was under the impression that you meant nobody could criticize Diana now she was dead but obviously I misunderstood and my apologies.

So we agree :)

Well no. Because I don't think it's suspicious that he's criticising her now. In Diana's hey-day who would have criticised her publicly, especially a man like Lagerfield?

BeatrixFan said:
Well no. Because I don't think it's suspicious that he's criticising her now. In Diana's hey-day who would have criticised her publicly, especially a man like Lagerfield?

I think that's Agnes's point. At least it was mine. His comments serve nobody but himself. Camilla doesn't need praise like that.

Why do they serve him? His comments are his opinion. He's an important man and has influence over people. His comments are just his opinion of Diana, who he disliked and Camilla, who he likes. What's so bad about that?

What's so hard to understand? It looks like he's courting public opinion.

As Agnes said, if he had slammed Diana when she was alive and spoke up about Camilla, he would have stood alone - maybe unpopular but at least his opinion would have had more credibility.

Now Camilla's star is on the rise - so it looks like he's jumping on the bandwagon.

His opinion has less credibility. He may truly believe what he says but in the media, timing is everything

ysbel said:
I think that's Agnes's point. At least it was mine. His comments serve nobody but himself. Camilla doesn't need praise like that.

I don't think Charles and Camilla were happy with that comment. They are trying to make their way as a couple and trying to forget Diana. I wonder if Camilla will wear his clothes now.:)

Oh come on Ysbel. He's said something in favour of Camilla and people don't like it. They want to take it away. What you seem to be saying is that his opinion isn't worth anything - and I suppose it's because he's in favour of Camilla? If he'd have stood there and called Diana a Saint he'd the be the best thing since sliced bread but he didn't and so he doesn't get listened to. Typical.

Sam, that isn't what she's saying. I don't know how she could be clearer.

His comments are being made safe in the realisation that Camilla is the Duchess and Diana is dead. He could have come out with "what's all the fuss about? Diana may be pretty, but she's stupid" at any time when she was alive, but he didn't. He wasn't there supporting Camilla when she was the third woman in the triangle and disliked by a lot of people (although, to be fair, I don't know when he first met her).

It isn't WHAT he said that ysbel is objecting to, it's WHEN he said it. It takes courage to voice an unpopular opinion. He doesn't seem to have been able to summon up that courage during Diana's lifetime. Now that Camilla is increasingly accepted and Diana is no longer around, being such an influence on the world of fashion, he's all of a sudden saying things that he could have said - but didn't say - when they were relevant.

But we don't know if he said it before and the press didnt report it. Where's the proof that he's trying to win favour?

I have a feeling that if Karl Lagerfeld had said "Princess Diana is stupid" anywhere where he could be heard by a member of the press during Diana's lifetime, it'd have been reported.

Saying how wonderful Camilla is, is fine. Using the opportunity to aim a kick in Diana's direction now, after keeping that opinion to himself for all those years, seems cowardly.

But he isn't!! Comparison is bound to be made! If was asked what he thought of Camilla, he may well have been asked how she measured up to Diana and he gave his opinion. How is calling her stupid a kick at her? So she wasn't intelligent, I think we all knew that - he also said she was sweet and pretty but thats been wiped out of the equation.

Repect is something that is earned and not given. Atleast in my book. Even though I will always dislike Camilla for having committed adultery and having her part in the breakdown of the marrige of Charles & Diana, I think she has shown a lot of dignity by taking back seat when she needed to and not making a fuss or going to the press. She was and is very discreet. Since getting married, and even before, she has not stepped wrong. She has earned the respect of the RF as well as her peers, and it shows. She may not be a "royal" in the aspect of being beautiful and dressing and living the glamours life, as other European Princesses, but she has what it takes on the inside, and that's what counts the most. So for me, she has earned the respect that she deserves (hard feelings aside) She has made her mistakes, as Pr. Charles and Diana made their mistakes. Each of them have paid over and over for them. It's time to let bye gones be bye gones and let them have thier life together and take thier place in history. They have tried to correct thier wrongs and for this I give them both respect.

BeatrixFan said:
Well no. Because I don't think it's suspicious that he's criticising her now.

Ok - I agree that we disagree :D I still hold a view that timing of his remarks is suspicious.

AgnesK said:
I still hold a view that timing of his remarks is suspicious.
After a suitable period to determine which way the wind is blowing, Lagerfeld has decided it's time to start currying favour. A kind word about Camilla would have been sufficient; dishing it out to Diana (albeit in a small way) won't win him friends in Clarence House. It may be a while before we see Camilla wearing Lagerfeld.

He probably thought it before Di died but, just didn't have the opportunity to say it. He could believe that it is more important not to hurt the living, than to alter his view on someone just because she is dead.
It's great that he has come out, publicly, in favour of Camilla.:D

Skydragon said:
He probably thought it before Di died but, just didn't have the opportunity to say it. He could believe that it is more important not to hurt the living, than to alter his view on someone just because she is dead.
It's great that he has come out, publicly, in favour of Camilla.:D
It's always interesting to read other's opinions, but we could say Camilla is earning her stripes (ie respect) through her own efforts. I don't think it's necessary to pay her a compliment combined with a negative swipe at someone else. Lagerfeld could have easily confined his comment about to Diana to "she was pretty", or "she looked good in a frock".

Moving on from Karl Lagerfeld, if we collected the public statements of those who know Camilla we would have a nice collection of compliments. Has anyone who knows her said anything negative?

I think he could have praised Camilla without saying anything negative about Diana. I hope Camilla doesn't wear his clothes now.:)

I think that's his hope to have her as a client, not necessarily because he enjoy her company, but to help sell his clothes.

I can't believe how you're all reacting to this. Diana is dead. He couldn't say she was stupid when she first died because emotions were running high. But he can now say what he thought of her and he said he found her "pretty, sweet but stupid". Then he went on to praise Camilla. What's so wrong about that? And why is it an attempt to get her to wear the clothes? I don't think it is at all - he was asked for his opinion and he gave it.

I can't say I was much of a fan of Camilla. Nor am I a big one now. Though I was completely suprised when I found out they were getting married, usually the chick on the side, doesn't become the next bride (hey that rhymed). I guess as long as there both happy, but I must say I don't respect her choice of commiting adultry, or Charles. I've always wonder if what they had was really love, or simply lust? only they know I guess.

I think it's definately true love. And how many people find that? It's lasted for so long, through so much. They obviously think the world of one another - it just shows. Charles is like a new man. He's always smiling and happy and he's no longer the odd man out at events. I just can't wait for the first Royal Wedding they both attend.

JOY! said:
usually the chick on the side, doesn't become the next bride ( I guess as long as there both happy, but I must say I don't respect her choice of commiting adultry, or Charles. I've always wonder if what they had was really love, or simply lust? only they know I guess.

Wrong, 1000's and 1000's of men and women marry the man/woman 'on the side'.
At least they only commited adultery with each other!

Definately love, lust doesn't normally last 36 years.:D

Definately love, lust doesn't normally last 36 years.:D

And if it does, I imagine it does strange things to the mind!

Whether Karl Lagerfeld said what he said when Diana was alive or deceased, it was disrespectful either way. A man in his high profile position should have more ethics about him and keep his mouth shut. To say one is "stupid" is just plain rude. And to compare the two ladies is unprofessional. If he was asked his opinion, he should have just stated what he wanted to about Camilla and left Diana out of it completely.
Not to mention that the man is a hypocrite. He was probably one of the many designers sending things to Diana for her to wear for the publicity.

sesa said:
Not to mention that the man is a hypocrite. He was probably one of the many designers sending things to Diana for her to wear for the publicity.

You might be on to something there. I didn't keep up with Diana's fashion but I'm quite sure she probably wore Chanel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom