Camilla & Charles: What Is Your Opinion Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princejohnny25 said:
I hated Camilla in the past because she was potrayed as the witch who brought down the princess. But as you grow and experience life more yourself you realize things arent that simple. She is happy and is doing a GREAT job as a royal and that won her respect from me and many others. She is doing a great job as a princess and I think she will make a wonderfull Queen. She has already shown very great and admirable traits for a royal.

I think this is an excellent point. Now that the Prince has married Camilla, and you see how well they work together, you realize what a tragic mistake Charles and Diana's marriage was. I think it produced two beautiful children, but that is about it. Sure, Camilla is not as glamourous as Diana was, but I think she makes a great Princess of Wales. I don't agree with the infidelity that occurred during Charles and Diana's marriage, but I do think Charles and Camilla are true soulmates. Personally, I have learned a lot from this episode. In the end you can't put too much stock on what other's say is good for you. I think you have to choose for yourself. If you meet your soulmate, don't let them go, because unlike Charles, you may not get a second chance.

I, for one, never hated Camilla, which is odd, because I happened to love Princess Diana very much. I just didn't think that someone like Prince Charles would be so deeply in love with someone as bad as she was often (well, always) depicted.
I must admit, though, I never thought Camilla would ever marry Prince Charles, mainly because I thought such marriage would be unacceptable for British people. But once they did marry and I could see how happy Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla are, I started admiring her more and more, until I became her fan. That’s pretty much the same reason everyone like her now.
I would be fond of any woman Prince Charles would choose to be his wife, because I love him very much. I always thought him to be a very caring person, who isn’t very keen expressing his feelings, especially in public.

Skydragon said:
Charles should be judged on the work he has done and is still doing, not one failed relationship. No one knows what William may or may not get up to in the future, that may turn people against him.:) How many indiscretions will he be allowed?

I agree with your on this statement. I think Charles should be judged on the work he has done and still doing for England and not on a failed marriage. :)

Yes Charles should be judged on his job as Prince of Wales and he has done an extraordinary job and is awesome at it. Diana was not judged on her marriages and relationships but on her works and so should Charles. People make mistakes and they move on having learned from them.

yes i never could imagine before what it would be like, that they would actually ever marry! but i think people have seen the sort of person she is now, and she is also doing a great job and her and Charles and well suited to each other. i think a lot of people have wanted William to take over from Charles ever since his seperation from Diana, because I think that's what she seemed to want. in Australia, we have been hearing that support for the monarchy has been dropping every year, but now some reporters are saying that the younger generation are becomming more conservative than their parents. i was too young to vote in Australians republic vote, but I am more politically conservative than my parents who are left wing and support a republic. i am the opposite. :)

Without going into the discussion of infidelities and who's to blame for what, etc. because the past is the past, I would like to mention that one thing that impressed me during that troublesome period was how Camilla handled the situation in public. She kept a dignified manner and never gave interviews, etc. (to my knowledge). She kept quiet and never said anything publicly that could further impact the monarchy negatively. Many people were involved in the break-up of the marriage (both marriages actually); however, she took all the criticism (at times quite cruel) she was dealt - she never fought back.

In terms of how Charles and Camilla are doing presently, I am pleased by how they have both evolved. Camilla has done a swell job being a supportive consort to her husband in carrying out his roles and responsibilities and she's establishing her own royal identity in a rather modest and quiet way. Charles appears more at ease and seems more confident.

I think Charles and Camilla are doing fine. The are the epitome of a good marriage; they both bring out the best in each other. I hope William takes some time before he makes the plunge.

Charles's experiences show that the Countess of Airlie's comments about George VI when he was courting and being rejected by Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon apply equally well to his grandson: that he was someone who would be made or marred by his wife.

I think Camilla has done very well and continues to establish her own rapport and sense of duty with the British people. She makes a fine consort and obviously she and Charles are very happy.

Eh, didn't like her then, don't like her now. But at least she's dressing better!

I do hate her ever more.

Princejohnny25 said:
It has been eight months since the Royal Wedding. In those eight months the Camilla ordinary people never knew finally came out. We saw a side of Charles that we havent seen in a while. What is your opinion know on them, mainly Camilla. Now that you have seen a part of who she really is. Do you like her, or do you still dislike her? Why do you like her now and have you always liked her? Why do you still disliker her or dislike her more? Please, only use references to Camilla. Not what others may have said during a heated time were many irrational things went on. Basing on what you have seen on Camilla why do you like her and why do you dislike her. Has Charles become more appealing or do you still dislike him?

P.S. I changed this from the original thread. Maybe this is more appropriate. Please only valid, thorough, and rational responses. I do not want to see a "I cant stand them" post with no reasoning behind it.

Not only her, but also P. Charles, and Lady Di's kids, who have forgotten they once had a mum, so fond of them, they go on with their lives, William was witness to his father's wed to Cam, the 2 brothers get along with the woman who wrecked their mum's marriage and they do love their father who is suspected he has had a say on Diana's odd untimely death, which was so convienient for him and his lover.

Her name is Camilla, not Cam. I think I've reminded you of that before.

I'm glad to see you acknowledge that William and Harry love their father and appear to have accepted Camilla.

Emilly,
Diana's death was not convenient nor did it benefit Charles and Camilla. The archives from 1996-7 suggest the exact opposite. Charles and Camilla were slowly being accepted and the public getting used to the idea of them marrying. Camilla was being accepted. In the summer of 1997, it was looking good for them. Diana being happy,getting on with her life and remarrying would have only benefitted C+C. They would have probably married years ago if Diana hadn't died. Diana's death shattered her sons, forced C+ C underground in their relationshp, Camilla was in fear for her life. And it started I believe the rise of the Diana fanatics who consider her a saint and feel that C+C should spend the rest of their lives paying for Diana's death.
Camilla has poison pen letters and death threats sent to her.

How has this benefited them?

emily62_1 said:
Not only her, but also P. Charles, and Lady Di's kids, who have forgotten they once had a mum, so fond of them, they go on with their lives, William was witness to his father's wed to Cam, the 2 brothers get along with the woman who wrecked their mum's marriage and they do love their father who is suspected he has had a say on Diana's odd untimely death, which was so convienient for him and his lover.

How sad for you that your life is spent hating people you don't even know, because (presumably) of a woman you never knew.

Charles and Camilla have made a wonderful job of helping William and Harry go on with their lives, that is what is supposed to happen after someone has died.

According to Giles Brandreth, Diana was asked her views on the marriage in 1994. "Over my dead body", she said. However, in 1996, she said, "They should marry and I'd be happy for them". Her death only put back the marriage and had she been alive, they'd have still married but before 2000 and not after it.

If you look at the wedding footage, it's very clear that William and Harry have a great relationship with their stepmother. Didn't Harry say that they both love her to bits? (He was told to say that I suppose?). In short, Charles adores her. The Queen has given her blessing and gets on extremely well with her. William and Harry love her and have a good relationship with her. She doesn't shirk her duties. She carries out engagements with a Queen Mother like charm and elegance and seems to touch everyone she talks to. She is turning out to be not only one of the hardest working but also one of the most liked members of the Royal Family. People are seeing the real Camilla and not the tabloid monster.

My sister is 13 nearly 14 and she is of the generation that has very little connection with the Monarchy. When she had some friends here, I asked them what they thought of Camilla and I was pleased and suprised to hear that they like her and think she's nice.

It amazes me that by referring to her by a nickname and generally making sweeping statements about her character you think Camilla will say, "Oh well, let's throw in the towel". Diana died and yes, it was very sad. I don't think William and Harry have forgotten their mother - but nor have they distanced Camilla.
I think what we have to ask ourselves is, what does the Monarchy need. I believe we need another Queen Mother figure and I feel we've got that in Camilla. Her comments always seem to be right. When she spoke off the cuff to the cameras after visiting victims of the London Bombings she said, "Seeing all these people here made me feel very proud to be British". Now, on London's main radio station, there is a presenter who was rather nasty about Camilla. But when that clip of her was flashed across the country, he completely changed and said, "She said what the country was thinking". She turns up with a smile and a can-do approach.

Look at the engagement where the Prince of Wales couldn't make it. She carried on regardless and made her appearance. I've noticed that whatever happens, wherever they are - there's a gap. She deliberately let's him walk in front, just like Prince Philip has done with the Queen for all these years and just as Diana never did.
Camilla isn't young. But she isn't old either. She doesn't try to be a faded photocopy of Diana because the original copy wasn't all that successful. Remember that the role of a Royal wife is to support, not to become a star in your own right. Some people are judging her on fashion (there's talk of 'Camilla Chic' entering the dictionary) whilst others see past that and see this amazing woman who has been hidden away in years of fabricated scandal.

When I saw her in the Delhi Durbar tiara, walking alongside Prince Haakon I thought, "Well done Milla - you've made it!".

I think, and judging by the posts before mine here, Camilla's real evolution began at her wedding. For the first time, it wasn't a photograph of her holding a shopping bag or dashing into a hotel. It was a photograph of her looking absolutely beautiful in that flowing porcelain blue gown, that gold feathery tiara and yes, even her hair was perfect! People saw that she had a hidden something. And immediately, the press over here began to change in the way they spoke about her.

'The Sun' was a fierce critic of Diana, but their coverage of Charles and Camilla's wedding said of Camilla (and I quote) , "The bride looked absolutely radiant and obviously overjoyed". I don't like it when they do, but they asked people who had met them what they thought. All the comments were good. One woman said after meeting them on honeymoon (and this is from a copy of the newspaper), "Camilla spoke to me and said she hoped her hat wouldn't blow away. She told me I'd been sensible to go for a wooly hat! She was so nice and friendly - I think she'll win people over".

I think she can too. The trouble is, that while the country gets used to her, there are a sad group of individuals who want to create this mythical almost goddess-like hype around Diana. They seem to sputter and scream whenever they see Camilla - and why? They always cite the affair etc, but they seem to totally forgive all of Diana's mistakes. I find that slightly disturbing and I find it dissapointing that people (and let's face it, it's none of their business and Diana would probably think some of their actions totally repugnant) can't move on and look to the future.

And that's my piece!

I think she can too. The trouble is, that while the country gets used to her, there are a sad group of individuals who want to create this mythical almost goddess-like hype around Diana. They seem to sputter and scream whenever they see Camilla - and why? They always cite the affair etc, but they seem to totally forgive all of Diana's mistakes. I find that slightly disturbing and I find it dissapointing that people (and let's face it, it's none of their business and Diana would probably think some of their actions totally repugnant) can't move on and look to the future.

And that's my piece!

I couldn't agree more.

Well I love that man. I've quoted him in my signature - it's so accurate.

I think its great that Lagerfield is impressed with Camilla but I'm a little bemused that he had to slam Diana.

Don't get me wrong, I think Camilla is doing a great job and proof of it is that people that wouldn't give her the time of day before are singing her praises. Her public image campaign is working and I'm very pleased to see it so.

But the whole affair makes me a bit cynical when a public figure comes out in support of another. Public figures and the press gravitate to where the action is, when Diana was alive, they swarmed around her like bees; now that Camilla is on the scene and doing well, they're gravitating towards her.

I have a sense that a lot of this 'admiration' is just going to where the action is.

In all fairness, he didn't slam Diana at all. He just said that there wasn't much going on upstairs but her looks got her through. I don't see that as a slam. It's an observation branded a slam by a pro-Diana press.

I'm hardly pro-Diana, BeatrixFan, but I do think calling someone stupid is a slam.

Its no matter, I think its good Camilla's getting good press but think she stands out more on her own when people are not slamming Diana in the process.

Of course it is. Who would dare print a bad word about Diana? They wouldn't dare - their sales would go down. Thats why she's a Saint in 'The Sun' because the only people who buy 'The Sun' are navvies and builders who couldn't give too figs about what she did charity wise but want to see pictures of her legs with a martyr-like headline.

So people now can't say she was stupid? She was hardly the brainiest of people was she? Then again, what do you class as intelligent and what do you class as scheming? I mean, she appeared to be stupid but she certainly knew what she was doing when she made those tapes and when she staged that hideous, "Queen of Hearts" performance.

It is a slam to call her stupid. It's his opinion and he actually met her. Surely he'd know?

Last edited:
Well, some people have printed some pretty bad words about Diana - even her "friends" have made sure to include some racy details in their books that would be better left out if they'd been genuine friends and not so obviously out to spice up their stories in order to make more money.

I suppose if he thinks Camilla is more intelligent or sensible than Diana, he's got every right to say so, mind you. It's just that, as ysbel said, if you're going to genuinely praise someone, it's sometimes better to do it in stand-alone way rather than by comparison with someone else's deficiencies.

Course, I suppose it'll make things clearer to read the whole article rather than that carefully extracted couple of lines, just to see what he was really talking about. Context makes all the difference!

Last edited:
I know, BeatrixFan. I'm just getting tired of all the Diana-Camilla comparisons and a little tired of the total transparent self-serving nature of the press whoever they're praising or damning at the moment.

Well we know who they're praising don't we? Comparisons are bound to be made - if I had my way the girl would be forgotten and be reduced to a footnote in history but it aint gonna happen. I imagine that Lagerfield was asked to give his opinion and he did so. As I said, he had met Diana and so he was bound to bring Diana into it.

BeatrixFan said:
As I said, he had met Diana and so he was bound to bring Diana into it.

He shouldn't have said it because she is dead-I wonder why he hadn't said it when she was alive? And why he hadn't have kind words for Camilla when she really needed it - in 90s' ? I am certainly not the huge fan of the late Diana but for me the form of his remarks is disgusting.

Agnes, just because Diana is dead doesn't make her exalted or free of sin. He's free to criticise her just as any of us are. Do we stop criticising Hitler because he's dead?

Well, mind you, it is true that people are praising Camilla now who were very quiet about her before she married Charles.

Bit like what went on around the time of the abdication - a lot of people wanted to make sure they were in with the winning side, whichever it turned out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom