Princess Diana's Godchildren and Christenings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

robijutovi@AOL.com

Hi, I am brand new to this place, and I am finding the information is fantastic! My name is Rosalie, and I am from Newark, Delaware, USA. My username is robijutovi@AOL.com. My query is this: Can anyone help me with Princess Diana's godchildren, and their christeing dates, please? mI have been racking my brains trying to find the answer to this question, but so far, to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I know that Laura (?) Knatchbull was one of her godchilds. Also the Greek prince Phillipos.

I'm also busy with researching godchildren and godparents, but then of all European families. See my signature below

How many godchildren Diana had, and can someone give me the names?????

To start you off ... Prince Phillippos of Greece is one of her godchildren.

Rosa Monckton, a friend and former head of Tiffany's in London, now heading the Princess Diana fund has a little girl called Domenica. Unfortunately, the child has Down's syndrome. Shortly after Diana's death, Rosa spoke out that Diana had specified her will give her godchildren a certain amount or special items. In return, she received a cup wrapped in a kleenex with a demand for a receipt. The real issue with Diana's godchildren is that Diana's provisions in her will for them went unheeded by her relatives (not her sons but her sisters and mother).

Sad.

I found them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana's seven godsons:

• HRH Prince Philippos of Greece (son of Constantine II, King of the Hellenes)
• Edward Windsor, Baron Downpatrick (grandson of HRH The Duke of Kent)
• George Frost (son of Sir David Frost & Lady Carina Frost, daughter of the Duke of Norfolk)
• Jakie Warren (child of John Warren & Lady Carolyn Warren, daughter of the Earl of Carnarvon)
• Benjamin Samuel (son of the Honourable Michael (son of Viscount Bearsted) & Julia Samuel)
• Jack Faulkner (son of Major Simon & Isabel Faulkner)
• Jack Bartholomew (son of William & Carolyn Bartholomew, Diana's friend who shared a London apartment with her prior to her marriage to Charles)

Diana's ten goddaughters:

• Lady Mary Wellesley (daughter of the Marquess of Douro, heir to the Duke of Wellington)
• Lady Edwina Grosvenor (daughter of the Duke of Westminster)
• Honourable Alexandra Knatchbull (daughter of Norton Knatchbull, Baron Romsey, heir to Countess Mountbatten of Burma)
• Daisy Soames (daughter of the Honourable Rupert & Camilla Soames)
• Domenica Lawson (daughter of Dominic Lawson and his wife the former Honourable Rosa Monckton)
• Camilla Straker (daughter of Reuben and the Honourable Sophie Straker)
• Leonora Lonsdale (daughter of Jamie & Laura Lonsdale, lady-in-waiting to Diana)
• Clare Cazalet (daughter of Victor & Isabel Cazalet)
• Antonia Harrington (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Harrington)
• Antonia Twiston-Davies (daughter of Audley Twiston-Davies)

Credits for the info: Yvonne Demoskoff's Diana faq-page. There can be found other interesting facts as well. :flower:

That is a lot of people ,god work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh my godness! Princess Diana had many friends in her life! i cant believe it! she really influence to Queen im warning! she had about 17 god childrens!

Sara Boyce

Yup. I think she was one of the most popular royal godparents :)

Diana at the baptism of her good friend Rosa Monckton's daughter, Domenica in early summer 1995.

Photos: Ihola magazine

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5,318
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 4,961
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 6,568
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 2,437
Last edited:
Squidgy said:
Diana at the baptism of her good friend Rosa Monckton's daughter, Domenica in early summer 1995.

And what is so special about Diana being Domenica's godmother is that Domenica has Downs Syndrome. Diana loved that child!

t4p Squidgy! I had never seen those photos before...
who´s that other girl? Is she Rosas daughter to?

Yennie said:
t4p Squidgy! I had never seen those photos before...
who´s that other girl? Is she Rosas daughter to?

You are welcome Yennie - happy to share!:)

Yes, I believe that Rosa's eldest daughter, Savannah.

That's a lot of Godkids!!!

July 1986 Prince Philippos of Greece is baptized in London.

His godparents include: Diana, Princess of Wales; Prince Philip; Infanta Elena & King Juan Carlos of Spain and Princess Benedikte of Denmark.

Attachments

• 1986 07 10 a.jpg
    1986 07 10 a.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 10,352
  • 1986 07 10 b.jpg
    1986 07 10 b.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4,212
  • 1986 07 10 c.jpg
    1986 07 10 c.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,813
  • 1986 07 10 d.jpg
    1986 07 10 d.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,276
  • 1986 07 10 e.jpg
    1986 07 10 e.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 4,734
Last edited:
more, plesaseeeeeeeee, more:D

In post 386 the group photo -- who is the lovely lady sitting behind King Constantine?

iowabelle said:
In post 386 the group photo -- who is the lovely lady sitting behind King Constantine?

She is Lady Penelope Romsey - married to Lord Romsey. They are good friends of the British RF, especially Prince Charles. It was at their home (Broadlands) that Diana & Charles spent the first few days of their honeymoon. Lord Romsey is Earl Mountbatten's grandson.

That's who I thought it was, possibly. Makes sense with the Mountbatten connection to the Greek Royal Family.

... and speaking of Lord & Lady Romsey, I think that this is Diana & Charles at the christening of their daughter Alexandra Knatchbull in March 1983.

Source: Daily Mail

Attachments

• 1983 03.jpg
    1983 03.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,905
Last edited:
I saw a picture of her years ago at Lord Downpatrick's christening. She wore a large black hat with an upturned brim. It was 1989 I think and she was sitting with the baby on her lap. It was in "Royalty" magazine.

Squidgy said:
... and speaking of Lord & Lady Romsey, I think that this is Diana & Charles at the christening of their daughter Alexandra Knatchbull in March 1983.
Was it Alexandra who was ill with cancer? Or was that a sister of hers?

Yennie said:
Was it Alexandra who was ill with cancer? Or was that a sister of hers?

It was her sister Leonora who died of cancer in the fall of 1991. So sad! Little Leonora in the summer before she died, was given the honour of being allowed to appear on the balcony with the RF for the 1991 Trooping of the Colour.

Here is a picture of Diana with Alexandra taken in August 1991 on Charles & Diana's Mediterranean cruise.

Photo: Hello magazine

Attachments

• 1991 08 Alexandra Romsey.jpg
    1991 08 Alexandra Romsey.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 4,735
james said:
I saw a picture of her years ago at Lord Downpatrick's christening. She wore a large black hat with an upturned brim. It was 1989 I think and she was sitting with the baby on her lap. It was in "Royalty" magazine.

I'd forgotten about those pictures James - I know which ones you mean. I was surprised that Diana was asked to be a godmother - I didn't realize that she was close to the Earl of St. Andrew's.

It's hard to believe that Lord Downpatrick would be around 16 yrs old now.

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
It was her sister Leonora who died of cancer in the fall of 1991. So sad! Little Leonora in the summer before she died, was given the honour of being allowed to appear on the balcony with the RF for the 1991 Trooping of the Colour.
Ah, I see. I remember seeing those photos of her on the balcony, wearing a red hat.
Very sad when someone that young dies...

Was Diana and the rest of the rf close to the Romseys? Or is that Knatchbull?
Howcome they have different names? Is lord Romsey just a title or something like that?

Yennie said:
Ah, I see. I remember seeing those photos of her on the balcony, wearing a red hat.
Very sad when someone that young dies...

Was Diana and the rest of the rf close to the Romseys? Or is that Knatchbull?
Howcome they have different names? Is lord Romsey just a title or something like that?

His title is Lord Romsey, and his last name is Knatchbull. He is the heir to the Countess of Mountbatten.

It was so sad about Lady Leonora. Camilla went to that funeral and didn't even know the family! Diana was enraged!!

Yennie said:
Was Diana and the rest of the rf close to the Romseys?

I think most of the RF are close to the Romseys. The relationships between the Romseys/Mountbattens and the Windsors go back quite a ways. Charles is very close to Lord & Lady Romsey. I don't think Diana ever really was though. I believe in the Jonathan Dimbleby book that it is stated that it was the Romseys (& Nicholas Soames) that approached Charles in January 1981 (before he was engaged), and expressed reservations about his possibly choosing Diana as his wife. They all felt that the couple just didn't have much in common. As well, I think Penny Romsey felt that Diana was more in love with being Princess of Wales, than with Charles himself.

Not sure why Diana was selected as a godmother. The Romseys' eldest son, Nicholas, already had Charles as a godfather - I guess it just made sense to them to ask Diana to be godmother to Alexandra. Also, perhaps, they felt that by asking Diana, perhaps it would draw her closer into Charles circle of friends, which would possibly help the couple's relationship. I'm just speculating on this of course. If that was one of their reasons for asking her to be godmother, I don't think it really worked to the desired effect. I believe that sometime in the mid-80s Diana tried to banish the Romseys from Charles circle of friends. I think it worked for a short while, but then soon enough the Romseys were accompanying the Wales on holidays, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
tiaraprin said:
His title is Lord Romsey, and his last name is Knatchbull. He is the heir to the Countess of Mountbatten.

It was so sad about Lady Leonora. Camilla went to that funeral and didn't even know the family! Diana was enraged!!

Camilla probably had some sort of familiarity with them through Charles. A lot of Charles' circle, like the Van Cutsems, were encouraging their relationship. I bet the Mountbatten clan was among them.

Back
Top Bottom