Diana's Secret Tapes Recorded in March 1997

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the effect is that once again the relationship of Charles and Camilla is discussed but the effect is also that all distance, reverence and serenity around Diana has gone. It is just a sort of Elvis now. Pfff.

What I dont understand is that everyone seems to assume that what she says is 100% true.

?????

I notice that the Earl asked for them not to be aired but her sons didn't. Says everything about them really. Had they not wanted them aired then they should also have said so publicly but as they didn't they have given tacit approval to what is in these tapes being made public and being dissected.

What I dont understand is that everyone seems to assume that what she says is 100% true.

?????

Of course it is 100% true. A beautiful woman like Diana can't lie while someone like Charles can't ever tell the truth.

Yes I am being facetious.

Many years ago I had a discussion with a couple of Diana fans and that was exactly what they said - beautiful women can't lie - I kid you not.

To the Diana fans and the republicans this year is a godsend - and for Charles and his popularity - a disaster I suspect. Having worked hard to restore his reputation over the past 20 years it has been destroyed again by all the tapes, books and interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

?????

I noticed that as well.

Granted, I haven't read all the articles, but I from what I did read, I find much that is simply unbelievable.

In any case, I think it's a shame to have all this resurface now, when things are being readied for Charles to take over much of the duties of the monarch.

All I'll say is that no matter what comes out now on tapes, books or whatever from Diana's mouth, it will not change my opinion of Charles one little bit. If anything, the more Diana tried to discredit him, the more of a human being I see in Charles. In my opinion, stuff like this coming out about Diana now 20 years after her death makes her look like she's not playing with a full deck more than it hurts Charles. People who missed all the drama 20 years ago are now being saturated with it and it doesn't do Diana's memory one bit of good.

Ach... It will not have a to deep impact. Much of it is a re-chewing of old news: "There we go again!" In this 24/24 news consuming era the news goes so fast: whay has been trending topic today is forgotten next week. The impact of the tabloids is decreasing, as we already saw with the unexpected outcome of the General Elections which showed that the tabloids no longer have the initiative.

Yes. I feel for her. I think she was between a rock and a hard place. For as much as she had in money or status, I don't think she was ever given what she needed to feel stable or loved, by her parents or by the family she married into. I see why she made a lot of the decisions she made and I don't fault her for them the way some do. But boy, some of the common threads you find in the descriptions of her friendships, even when the information is conveyed by people who thought quite highly of her and enjoyed her very much...tell me that she must have been exhausting to be around.

I also think that she was emotionally damage from her family and that the royal family just saw a cute pretty noble girl who was a virgin and that therefore made her a perfect partner for Charles who was at the same time a very insecure person in his own right.....the two together were bound to blow up some time and they did.........yet it is *their private lives* not something that should be seen, heard and viewed by millions of others, put yourself in her shoes, think about it, what would you do if you were Diana? Sure she made mistakes then we all make mistakes in life, IMHO she never really got the help that was needed, the real deep down psychological help that could have helped her.

Diana needed to be shown love, by her family, to be loved, nurtured, cherish and taught to have self confidence and self-esteem, self-worth and that never happened for her, she was more or less left to grow on her own (even nannies are parents) and that is what IHB happened to her.

These tapes are the most disgusting, abominable, despicable and damaging to her sons that I have ever seen anywhere. Whom ever did this I sure hope it comes back to you 100 times over........for this makes you look like a .........can't say it here and won't!:bang:

Ach... It will not have a to deep impact. Much of it is a re-chewing of old news: "There we go again!" In this 24/24 news consuming era the news goes so fast: whay has been trending topic today is forgotten next week. The impact of the tabloids is decreasing, as we already saw with the unexpected outcome of the General Elections which showed that the tabloids no longer have the initiative.

I heartily agree with this. The best way I've ever seen it expressed was in a cell phone commercial a while back ago. The slogan was "That's so 12 seconds ago". Kinda fits. Tabloids and the printed media are fading into the sunset.

Hopefully, from here on out, the anniversaries of Diana's death will be remembered quietly and in private by those that wish to remember her and let her rest in peace.

I've learned about the tapes airing in the U.K. on CNN a few minutes ago. A statement from the speech coach's lawyer basically said he had the right to release the tapes because the coach wasn't an attorney, a priest or a therapist, professions where conversations are privileged. What a guy.

The royal historian on CNN said Twitter is blowing up on this and Charles and Camilla are getting dragged. Any truth to that?

:previous: I think I'd rather watch cartoons. :cool:

I notice that the Earl asked for them not to be aired but her sons didn't. Says everything about them really. Had they not wanted them aired then they should also have said so publicly but as they didn't they have given tacit approval to what is in these tapes being made public and being dissected.

The BRF have never commented on TV programmes of this type.

The only time they did (Charles interview following the Diana "I want to be Queen of People's Hearts) it was a catastrophe. Lesson learnt

I think they are correct in saying nothing. I don't think that they have forgotten that in the mess of all this gossip and debate, their father has never said a bad thing about their Mother.

Which is more than can be said about her. And they have to live with that.

While it was extremely tacky of Charles and Camilla to have had an affair while married to others, as we discovered Diana had multiple affairs herself.
I did read a little about these new tapes- they make her seem unbalanced and vindictive. It said they were taped in 1997 a few months before she died. I could understand lashing out early on but years later?

Last edited:
The BRF have never commented on TV programmes of this type.

The only time they did (Charles interview following the Diana "I want to be Queen of People's Hearts) it was a catastrophe. Lesson learnt

I think they are correct in saying nothing. I don't think that they have forgotten that in the mess of all this gossip and debate, their father has never said a bad thing about their Mother.

Which is more than can be said about her. And they have to live with that.

The princes have said they want to control the memory of their mother this year and have done nothing to stop this sort of thing being aired.

They want it out there and they know it will hurt their father.

They could have simply issued a statement that they supported their uncle's call but they did nothing - that is a tacit agreement and also shows how they are in control of what is being reported about their mother. They can't have it both ways - if they truly want to control her memory then they have to stop these sorts of thing or they have take the consequences of the fall-out for not speaking out.

It should also be noted that these tapes were seen in the US years ago and have been on Youtube for years as well. What is happening now is that they are being shown in the UK and the only reason to do that is to hurt Charles.

The princes have said they want to control the memory of their mother this year and have done nothing to stop this sort of thing being aired.

They could have simply issued a statement that they supported their uncle's call but they did nothing - that is a tacit agreement and also shows how they are in control of what is being reported about their mother. They can't have it both ways - if they truly want to control her memory then they have to stop these sorts of thing or they have take the consequences of the fall-out for not speaking out.

It should also be noted that these tapes were seen in the US years ago and have been on Youtube for years as well. What is happening now is that they are being shown in the UK and the only reason to do that is to hurt Charles.
The new tapes are the issue, not the old ones that have been around for years. The new ones are more likely to hurt Diana's image more than they will hurt Charles. Diana apparently says thiings that are irrational and vengeful. I was surprised. I really thought she had come to terms with the divorce but she apparently was scheming.

And how would William and Harry stop anything? Legal ownership of the old tapes has been established by the courts and they don't belong to the Spencer family or anyone in the royal family.

Last edited:
~Dear me.

We will have to disagree on this.

The new tapes are the issue, not the old ones that have been around for years. The new ones are more likely to hurt Diana's image more than they will hurt Charles. Diana apparently says thiings that are irrational and vengeful. I was surprised. I really thought she had come to terms with the divorce but she apparently was scheming.

I'm confused. I don't want the detail, but what are the timings of the "old" and "new" tapes ( when said, when released)

No, the reason to do that is that it will make Channel 4 money. Full stop. If Channel 4 was in possession of tapes in which Diana said interesting and compelling things that made Charles look good, they'd show those.

As for William and Harry and what this supposedly says about them,
they have spent the last several months being knocked about in the press and online for saying too much, or the wrong thing, or in the wrong way. If they did try to "stop it", as you say, first they'd be accused of trying to use the power of the monarchy to censor Channel 4. And it would ultimately be futile. They don't have a good option at this point.

At least silence is dignified. Charles Spencer can condemn all he wants; he's not a future head of state and he has precious little dignity left.

Every time a member of the royal family has dared to voice an opinion, people line up to complain. "Never complain, never explain" has become a stick with which to beat them if they step out of the never-explicitly-delineated lines that are, somehow, different depending on who's drawing them.

They're human beings, and these matters touch them intimately; I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, as they're more privy to the personalities and events involved than any of us are.

All I'll say is that no matter what comes out now on tapes, books or whatever from Diana's mouth, it will not change my opinion of Charles one little bit. If anything, the more Diana tried to discredit him, the more of a human being I see in Charles. In my opinion, stuff like this coming out about Diana now 20 years after her death makes her look like she's not playing with a full deck more than it hurts Charles. People who missed all the drama 20 years ago are now being saturated with it and it doesn't do Diana's memory one bit of good.

Which tapes are these? Are these new ones that have never been heard? I have been reading this thread but I still cannot figure it out.

These are the Settelen tapes that have been around for years - but never shown in the UK before.

I'm confused. I don't want the detail, but what are the timings of the "old" and "new" tapes ( when said, when released)

The old tapes were the ones she did with her speech coach Peter Settleton in the early 90s. Much of them were aired in the US and YouTube years ago. But they are being broadcast for the first time in Great Britain. Settleton won the rights of ownership in court. They had been found at Paul Burrell's home where he had taken them after Diana's death.
The new tapes she recorded with a cameraman from the BBC a few months before she died. They just recently resurfaced. Apparently their existence became known a few years ago.

Last edited:
I was confused myself! I didn't realise there were two sets of tapes. Going back to the start of this thread helped clear it up a bit!

It was an odd thing to do, but it does look like Diana wanted her own version of things on record. Whether she would want them aired twenty odd years on is another thing.

I would think that if she had lived and these tapes were aired publicly, she most likely would have cringed in embarrassment. That is, presuming, that everything that happened in the ensuing time worked out to be as they are now. Time does change things and people's perspective of things.

How much of this is preying on the words of a woman no longer alive to defend her words and actions is pretty much the elephant in the room here. The saga of Diana, Princess of Wales ended in a tunnel in Paris and who she was at the time of her death is how she is going to be looked at forevermore.

The "old" tapes aired on NBC in the US a long time ago and have been available on YouTube for quite some time. There isn't anything new or shocking there. Like many other non-European posters, I didn't realize there were also "new" tapes. I thought it was just the same set we had already seen before.

The British media is making it seem like these tapes are some new revelations, but when the tapes aired here in America just a couple of years ago, the British media reported on it.

The media in the U.K. feel Charles and Diana's old marriage problems are a gift that keeps on giving. Even though everything that's been said has been said millions of times in books, articles, tv shows, movies and documentaries. There's nothing within the past Wales saga that's new.

Peter Settlelen should be ashamed of himself for selling those tapes for profit. At the end of the day, money is what people want and will do anything to get it.

And according to Richard Palmer, Channel 4 pulled in 3.5m viewers, which was its highest ratings in over a year.

With that said, it seems rather a lot of handwringing in the press for something that only 5% of the population watched.

The only ones cringing right now are Charles and Camilla and good enough for it. I'm glad the public are being reminded about the antics of this pair. Whatever problems the Wales' had in their marriage it was up to them to sort it out, it wasn't Camllia's place to get involved. She would have done better to have sorted out her own marriage.

Last edited:
Absolutely right, sophie. No marriage benefits AT ALL from the interference of a third party. If all four, Andrew, Camilla, Charles and Diana, had remained faithful and loyal to their spouses, all the drama, and much of the misery and bitterness Diana felt, could have been avoided.

I disagree and think that if D&C had worked on their marriage from the start, Camilla would have not been involved and would be just an old acquintance.... but now we are starting a discussion which already has been done in several threads on these forums...

Which tapes are these? Are these new ones that have never been heard? I have been reading this thread but I still cannot figure it out.
The tapes referenced in the thread title are not the Settelen tapes which were made in 1992-1993, but they are not new tapes either given that this thread was started in 2014.

The article that I posted was from the Daily Mail but then they are sourcing another tabloid The Sun. What is not clear to me is did The Sun publish this story simply to capitalize on the attention being generated by the Settelen tapes and the 20th anniversary of Diana's death, or are they revealing information that while available outside of Britain since 2014 was not partially or fully available to the British public. ETA: Actually the article was published by Canada Free Press in 2006, I wrongly assumed that since the thread was created in 2014 that was when the story about the 1997 tapes broke.

Here is a link to the article published in the first post of this thread and some excerpts (less than 20% of the full article):

Diana's secret tapes

By Gordon Thomas
Wednesday, October 4, 2006

[snip]

the cameraman revealed he had kept a diary of that momentous month in March 1997, when he secretly filmed Diana.

[snip]

The story of those tapes is complex and revealing -- and casts new light on Diana's mindset in the months before she died in 1997.

The very existence of the tapes had been a closely-guarded secret until the collapse of the Paul Burrel trial.

[snip]

It began on a cold January day in 1997. For months Diana had been telling friends of her dissatisfaction with her now notorious Panorama "three in a bed" interview, in which she had revealed her own adultery with James Hewitt.

[snip]

Within the implacably hostile Royal Family, she had managed to maintain one friendship. That was with Prince Edward.

[snip]

In January, 1997, Diana asked [Prince] Edward if he knew of a good TV cameraman. He had to be trustworthy.

[snip]

She wanted him to film a set of videos in which she would speak directly to the camera. [snip] She did not know, then, how many videos she would make. But after each one was completed it would be handed to her. There would be no other copy made. The schedule for filming would depend on her other engagements.

A fee of ��5,000 was accepted for the assignment.

[snip]

Paid in full, the cameraman never saw Diana again.

[snip]

The reason the cameraman originally told Wilcox -- and may also be the same reason the broadcaster shared the secret with a second person -- is that both Wilcox and the cameraman had been questioned in the aftermath of Diana's death by MI5 security officers about the existence of the tapes.

[snip]

"They are Diana's video diaries of her marriage. In a sense they are an oral history of the Royal Family. She deals with each member in detail", he said.

The videos reserve her most stringent criticism for Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles.

[snip]

"Diana paints a portrait of how she pleaded with him for the sake of the children to give up Camilla. She says that she turned to Anne (Princess Anne) and Andrew (Prince Andrew) for help. Both, she says, refused to lift a finger", said the source.

[snip]

Diana was "highly upset" about Charles' relationship with Fawcett.

[snip]

She said there was something of the night about Fawcett. Diana reveals on one tape that she didn't like the way he seemed to dominate Charles, not just in a physical way, but mentally also."

[snip]

A member of Charles' staff told her about sexual misconduct within the Royal Household staff -- and that Charles "tolerated it".

[snip]

According to the cameraman's recall, there was also "a terrible anger" at the way she was being treated by the Royal Family -- especially Prince Philip.

"She talks about how his welcome into the Family had turned to cold hostility once the marriage had broken up.

[snip]

Undoubtedly, the most revealing part of her video diaries is how Diana saw her future.

"She makes it clear that she would do everything possible to make sure Charles never became King. She wanted William to succeed to the Throne when the Queen died. Diana clearly saw her role as the power behind William. She had this somewhat romantic idea of being a king-maker -- the mother behind the monarch", said the source.

He explained that the cameraman had told him last week that his abiding memory from the videos was of a very determined princess that nothing would stand in her way.

[snip]

Last edited:
The only ones cringing right now are Charles and Camilla and good enough for it. I'm glad the public are being reminded about the antics of this pair. Whatever problems the Wales' had in their marriage it was up to them to sort it out, it wasn't Camllia's place to get involved. She would have done better to have sorted out her own marriage.

Thanksfully, the public are also being reminded how unfaithful and somewhat hypotrical Diana was, complaining that her husband was a cheater but at the same time claiming that Barry Mannakee was the love of her life.
Helloooo double standart.

Everyone can cringe with this programme : a deeply bitter woman, still owning the title of HRH the Princess of Wales, freely rambling on about the most intimate aspects of her life to her VOICE COACH !!!

That's just disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom