The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3401  
Old 09-14-2020, 08:46 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,890
Was Diana in a rush to marry again? No. But was she content to be alone, just busy with her charity work and sons? No.

Diana was the kind of woman who wasn't easily alone. When her marriage lacked the intimacy and closeness she needed, she found it with other men. And after they separated as well. Khan and then Dodi, she was a woman who enjoyed the company of a man. Nothing wrong with that. But she was certainly not going to be the kind of woman to stay single and focus just on her kids and her charity work either.

I find it such an old fashioned view that a divorced woman would be 'satisfied simply with her sons and her hobbies or in her case charities' when its always assumed a single man will be out looking for a new love interest. Women have just as many physical and emotional needs as a man does.

I actually think Charles would have been married much sooner to Camilla. And that Camilla would likely have been Princess of Wales as well. The length of time had a lot to do with the insane mourning of Diana in the public and concern of the out cry if he married sooner. It took years of testing waters and having a PR person help Camilla. There was also the concern of his sons and their reaction after the death of their mother.

If Diana had lived she would have moved on. People would have seen her with her own life and likely a new established love. And she would not be this martyr on a pedestal that she was made out to be by much of the public for decades after her death. Charles wouldn't have to compete with a ghost.

I also think he and Camilla would have an easier time with the public. The public would see both Charles and Diana moved on and happy with someone else. They would both be at the weddings and events of their sons, with their own lives and happiness. And people would be quicker to accept that.
Reply With Quote
  #3402  
Old 09-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 674
I think Diana wanted to find Mr Right but I doubt she would want to rush things. No matter where she was in her life she was always interested in her charity work and devoted to her sons. She would never really be alone and was fortunate that way. She may have wanted to live with someone first before settling to a marriage, take things slowly. I don't think she would have minded a remarriage and one or two more children.

Diana touched people's hearts I think it was genuine mourning for her and admiration. IT is sad to see someone dying prematurely and she was an iconic person.
Reply With Quote
  #3403  
Old 09-15-2020, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Was Diana in a rush to marry again? No. But was she content to be alone, just busy with her charity work and sons? No.

Diana was the kind of woman who wasn't easily alone. When her marriage lacked the intimacy and closeness she needed, she found it with other men. And after they separated as well. Khan and then Dodi, she was a woman who enjoyed the company of a man. Nothing wrong with that. But she was certainly not going to be the kind of woman to stay single and focus just on her kids and her charity work either.

I find it such an old fashioned view that a divorced woman would be 'satisfied simply with her sons and her hobbies or in her case charities' when its always assumed a single man will be out looking for a new love interest. Women have just as many physical and emotional needs as a man does.

I actually think Charles would have been married much sooner to Camilla. And that Camilla would likely have been Princess of Wales as well. The length of time had a lot to do with the insane mourning of Diana in the public and concern of the out cry if he married sooner. It took years of testing waters and having a PR person help Camilla. There was also the concern of his sons and their reaction after the death of their mother.

If Diana had lived she would have moved on. People would have seen her with her own life and likely a new established love. And she would not be this martyr on a pedestal that she was made out to be by much of the public for decades after her death. Charles wouldn't have to compete with a ghost.


I also think he and Camilla would have an easier time with the public. The public would see both Charles and Diana moved on and happy with someone else. They would both be at the weddings and events of their sons, with their own lives and happiness. And people would be quicker to accept that.

Honestly this would have been the best scenario had Diana lived. Her sons had been out of the house for years and would not be returning except for a few weeks out of the year for the coming years so yes she would have wanted to find companionship.
Reply With Quote
  #3404  
Old 09-15-2020, 03:22 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I think Diana wanted to find Mr Right but I doubt she would want to rush things. No matter where she was in her life she was always interested in her charity work and devoted to her sons. She would never really be alone and was fortunate that way. She may have wanted to live with someone first before settling to a marriage, take things slowly. I don't think she would have minded a remarriage and one or two more children.

Diana touched people's hearts I think it was genuine mourning for her and admiration. IT is sad to see someone dying prematurely and she was an iconic person.
If Diana wanted more children she didn't have time to wait. Diana was 36 when she died, she didn't have years to test the waters if she wanted another child or two with another man. If she got married by 38, she may had snuck another child in. We don't know if she would want any more.

And yes she would have been alone. Her sons were at boarding school most of the year. The weeks they weren't at boarding school were divided between her and Charles. There would be huge gaps of the year when she would be alone.

And listening to her interviews, watching how she suffered eating disorders, sought comfort from other men, no her kids and charity work weren't enough. She wasn't Mother Theresa, she wasn't going to sit home knitting for her sons when she wasn't out 3-4 times a week doing a charity event.

Whether she waited a few years to marry or not, she wasn't going to stay single for long. She was looking for that man to fill a space in her life. She would have likely moved on from Dodi to the next man who gave her some genuine attention until she hopefully found someone to settle with.
Reply With Quote
  #3405  
Old 09-17-2020, 05:39 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Former Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,227
A number of posts relating to Diana's death have been moved to the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2340369 thread.

Discussion about the relationship between Diana and Dodi al Fayed may take place in the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...air-37311.html thread.

There are other threads to discuss other topics relating to Diana in her sub-Forum - https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/

Posts relating to the marriage of Charles and Camilla have been moved to the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-on-13676.html thread.

Camilla is off-topic for this thread, and members should concentrate on Charles and Diana here.

Thank you.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #3406  
Old 10-04-2020, 08:52 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Former Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,227
I've moved posts relating to the relationship/marriage between Diana's parents over to the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2338437 thread as it seems more appropriate to discuss it there.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #3407  
Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Was Diana in a rush to marry again? No. But was she content to be alone, just busy with her charity work and sons? No.
I find it such an old fashioned view that a divorced woman would be 'satisfied simply with her sons and her hobbies or in her case charities' when its always assumed a single man will be out looking for a new love interest. Women have just as many physical and emotional needs as a man does.

I don't think she should have shut her life down, but she should have taken time and given herself at least a year or so before going onto a new relationship. It's not like she NEEDED a relationship right away and if I had just been through all that she had, I would want to take time out and reflect and contemplate what my next step would be. Preferable to being mixed up with the wrong guy and in another mess. She would have been better off not messing with men. She leapt back into the dating pool, but she messed with either married men (Will Carling/Oliver Hoare) or men who were committed elsewhere (as Dodi was with Kelly Fisher). She remained in the habit of acting impulsively and thinking that it was everyone's job to be available and would lash out when they weren't (like she did with Charles).
Reply With Quote
  #3408  
Old 11-14-2020, 10:08 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,606
Tina Brown, author of The Diana Chronicles (biography of Diana, Princess of Wales, published in 2007) did an interview with Camilla Tominey on The Telegraph:

‘During my last lunch with Diana, she said she would go back to Charles in a heartbeat’
Tina Brown, who saw the princess a month before her death, gives her exclusive insight into Diana's life, including how she accepted Camilla
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...les-heartbeat/

Some of the content has been picked up by the Daily Mail.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...er-claims.html
Reply With Quote
  #3409  
Old 11-14-2020, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Tina Brown, author of The Diana Chronicles (biography of Diana, Princess of Wales, published in 2007) did an interview with Camilla Tominey on The Telegraph:

‘During my last lunch with Diana, she said she would go back to Charles in a heartbeat’
Tina Brown, who saw the princess a month before her death, gives her exclusive insight into Diana's life, including how she accepted Camilla
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...les-heartbeat/

Some of the content has been picked up by the Daily Mail.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...er-claims.html
I’m so glad that Charles and Diana did become close, for their sakes as well as their sons. You don’t often hear about that, because it’s not provocative. I feel for her now more than I ever did, I suppose because I remember the Wars of the Wales ...and while everyone rooted for Diana, I loved Charles. I’m glad that William and Harry got to see this new relationship of their parents before she died, but it’s s tragedy that Diana didn’t live to become truly happy and accomplish all that she wanted.
Reply With Quote
  #3410  
Old 11-14-2020, 02:05 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 11,825
This is not the first time I have read that Charles and Diana had become close before her death. And i always believed it.

Charles was visibly distraught at the funeral.

But the fact that Tina Brown believes Diana would have gone back to Charles does surprise me. I thought she was deeply in love with Hasnat Khan at the end?

No matter. It's all so sad, so depressing imo.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough" Sir Sidney Poitier
1927-2022
Reply With Quote
  #3411  
Old 11-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
This is not the first time I have read that Charles and Diana had become close before her death. And i always believed it.

Charles was visibly distraught at the funeral.

But the fact that Tina Brown believes Diana would have gone back to Charles does surprise me. I thought she was deeply in love with Hasnat Khan?

No matter. It's all so sad, so depressing imo.
I’ve read it before, but all the documentaries about Diana never mention this....because the media needs to have a hero and a villain.

Charles may not have been in love with her, but he did love her...and I hope she knew (which, it seems she did based on what Tina Brown is saying) that it wasn’t HER, that there wasn’t anything wrong with her (because she was so insecure in some ways). Charles just was already in love with someone else, and that wasn’t going to change. I don’t want to say the marriage shouldn’t have happened because otherwise there would be no William and Harry, but I’ll just say that the “protocol” for such things back then was really unfortunate, and I’m so glad that things are different now.
Reply With Quote
  #3412  
Old 11-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 11,001
He loved her for a time but it was never his deepest love.. and over time, he grew pretty fed up with her - In Tina Browns biog, there is an anecdote that during their years of separation, Charles told someone at Highgrove that he didn't read the newspapers, and preferred to hear news on the radio because he didn't want to read the papers and have to see things about what his "crazy wife" was up to.
I don't think that they reached any great closeness in the last year or so.. I think that Charles was still fed up with her.. but of course when she died, he was shocked and grieved.
Reply With Quote
  #3413  
Old 11-14-2020, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

But the fact that Tina Brown believes Diana would have gone back to Charles does surprise me. I thought she was deeply in love with Hasnat Khan at the end?
That doesn't surprise me.
Diana seemed lonely at the end of her life.

(And I never believed her lovers after Hewitt meant more to her than just a quick infatuation followed by disillusionment.
I never bought into the supposedly deep love she felt for Khan. After all, she dumped him).
Reply With Quote
  #3414  
Old 11-16-2020, 03:38 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,917
There was surely love between them over the course of their marriage. But Charles wanted to have his cake and eat it too. An expression thrown around a lot these days in reference to royals.

Had they both met halfway when they encountered difficulties in their marriage. Had Diana been a bit more mature and not a teenager when she was proposed to. Had Charles had more backbone in facing up to his family, his destiny, and his desires... Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps some things might have been resolved.

That said, it was all a powder keg (probably unresolvable). With the fact of Diana's public popularity being the key sticking point for Charles, sadly, that annoyed him and led to him beginning to pull away from even trying to understand Diana. He should have thought more about trying to guide, support and be protective of her, particularly in light of her youth, and the huge gap in their ages. Patience and compassion from Charles, rather than selfishness might also have gone a long way toward repairing their differences.
Reply With Quote
  #3415  
Old 11-16-2020, 03:52 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,264
A lot of marriages don't work out. It's sad, especially when there are children involved, but it's the way it goes. I can't see that Charles and Diana would ever have got back together.
Reply With Quote
  #3416  
Old 11-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 11,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
A lot of marriages don't work out. It's sad, especially when there are children involved, but it's the way it goes. I can't see that Charles and Diana would ever have got back together.
No. Of course not.. but I think that Diana at times half hoped they would... She was very volatile - and also capable of a lot of self deception. I think that she didn't really realize that Charles was just as fed up with the marriage and more so than she was.. and that although he had tried to keep the marriage going he was happy enough when the chance came to end it openly. I think she though (iwht incredible foolishness) that lashing out at him in Morton would either bring him back repetnant or embarrass him so much that he would retire from the succession... but it did neither and when things went to the point of a divorce, Charles was glad to end the marriage, not have to keep up appearances in public [...]
Reply With Quote
  #3417  
Old 11-16-2020, 07:24 AM
MARG's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
A lot of marriages don't work out. It's sad, especially when there are children involved, but it's the way it goes. I can't see that Charles and Diana would ever have got back together.
I quite agree. I have never understood why countless people have tried to ruin Charles by keeping an abiding hatred alive because he divorced the fairytale princess. In in point of fact, I don't really know who divorced whom since HM ordered them to divorce as the 'separation' was not helping anyone.

If it had been any other couple faced with the irretrievable breakdown of their marriage most people would have nodded their heads sagely and noted it was better for the children to be with their parents separately but happy than to live together with interminal bickering.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #3418  
Old 01-16-2021, 09:06 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I quite agree. I have never understood why countless people have tried to ruin Charles by keeping an abiding hatred alive because he divorced the fairytale princess. In in point of fact, I don't really know who divorced whom since HM ordered them to divorce as the 'separation' was not helping anyone.

If it had been any other couple faced with the irretrievable breakdown of their marriage most people would have nodded their heads sagely and noted it was better for the children to be with their parents separately but happy than to live together with interminal bickering.
I always thought once the separation was announced divorce was inevitable.
Reply With Quote
  #3419  
Old 01-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Member - in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 17,267
A lot of things could have been done differently and the course of history would have been changed. Just like if the science was available at the time of Henry VIII, perhaps his succession of wives would have been different as Henry would have known it was *his* fault he had problems siring a male heir.

In the situation of Charles and Diana, it takes two to make a marriage work or a marriage fail and there were many areas in the marriage that went together like oil and vinegar. It was what it was and both of them bear the responsibility for the marriage failing.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #3420  
Old 01-17-2021, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 11,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
A lot of things could have been done differently and the course of history would have been changed. Just like if the science was available at the time of Henry VIII, perhaps his succession of wives would have been different as Henry would have known it was *his* fault he had problems siring a male heir.

In the situation of Charles and Diana, it takes two to make a marriage work or a marriage fail and there were many areas in the marriage that went together like oil and vinegar. It was what it was and both of them bear the responsibility for the marriage failing.
but it wasn't Henry's "fault." He fathered male children.. but only 2 survived into adulthood.. and some of Catherine's pregnancies ended in miscarriage or stillbirth. And it really doesn't chime with hte Charles and Diana situation all that much. #
And I think Charles and Diana were just bad luck waiting to happen. He needed to get married and rushed things.. and Diana wanted badly to marry well, and blinded herself to the fact that she had little in common with him or with the RF.... but on paper, they looked OK.. She was from a courtier's family, she was young, and seemed adaptable.. but truth is she wasn't adaptable.. and charles wasn't savvy enough to realise that she wasn't all that suited to royal life...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985 jun5 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 58 12-31-2022 07:13 PM
Charles and Diana Picture Thread Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 449 10-11-2019 01:46 AM




Popular Tags
albert prince consort all tags america arcadie arcadie claret austria british british royal family caribbean caroline charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family duarte pio duchess of kent edward vii elizabeth ii emperor naruhito empress masako espana garsenda genealogy general news grace kelly grimaldi hamdan bin ahmed harry history identifying india introduction jewels jordan royal family king king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten matrilineal monaco monarchy mountbatten need help official visit order of precedence portugal prince albert monaco princess of orange queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima republics restoration silk spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland visit william wine glass woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises