Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dukes of Chandos [extinct since the 18th century], Ancaster and Kesteven [1809], Portland [1990], Greenwich [1743], Bridgewater [1843], Cumberland [1765], Montagu [1790].

And yes, a new title CAN be created HMQ being 'the fount of Honours'.

Last edited:
All I can think of when I see Ross is Mike Ross, Rachel Zane's (Meghan's character on Suits) love interest.

^ Oops.. amended accordingly !

I agree. York may be next used for a second son of William & Kate, if they have one. Andrew was born in 1960, so he'll be 58 next year. If W&K have a son in 2018, and if that son marries in his mid thirties (he'd be 32 in 2050), Andrew's title may be vacant. He will be in his 90s, if he's still alive.

Don’t they usually keep it vacant longer since the York Princess will always be princesses of York during their lifetimes?

Beatrice and Eugenie will probably be long married by then and using their husbands' titles or terms of address. Only if they remain single will they be 'of York'.

Just highlighting and editing my previous post about possible titles for Harry:

From my perspective the options (all used as royal dukedom before) are:
* Clarence (with the issues of previous title holders)
* Sussex (the most mentioned but also rather dull option)
* Avondale (Scottish; was used in combination with Clarence but as it was the second title it doesn't have a very clear link to previous holders)
* Kendal (was considered for the husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales; the one who would have been queen instead of Victoria had she not died at a relatively young age)
* Ross (Scottish)

The first two are most likely, however, a surprise would be nice. Personally, I really like 'Duke of Ross' for Harry. It has a nice sound to it and seems to fit his personality (as far as a title fits with specific personalities). Avondale also has a nice ring to it but not necessarily for Harry.

Thank you all for the explanations. :flowers: Not that I understand nor have retained any of it. ? Methinks all this is on the order of that old stand-by, the 'need-to-know'. I don't really need to know all this so it doesn't stick at all. Of course, it could also be mother-brain in operation. Yes. :huh:

Let's imagine that Harry is created Duke of Highgrove, Earl of Balmoral, Baron Enniskillen (to not pick likely contenders) on his wedding day.

During the Queen's reign:
Harry and Meghan will be The Duke and Duchess of Highgrove
As male-line great-grandchildren of the monarch (Elizabeth) their children will not be styled as princess, but as children of a Duke.
So, their eldest son will use Harry's secondary title and will be known as the Earl of Balmoral
Other sons would be: Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor
Daughters would be: Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor

During Charles' reign and afterwards (under the condition that the current Letters' Patent are not somehow changed). Harry and Meghan will remain The Duke and Duchess of Highgrove, but as male-line grandchildren of the (former) monarch (Charles) their children will be styled as princes and princesses 'of Highgrove'.
Harry & Meghan's male-line grandchildren will be male-line great-grandchildren of a monarch (Charles), so the above applies again. The eldest son of their eldest son (the line in which the title will be passed on) will be the Earl of Balmoral - if he would have a son, the eldest son would be known as Baron Enniskillen. All others are Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor. They, however, will never become princes and princesses. Only the title of the heir will change at some point to take over Harry's title as Duke and then the secondary titles also pass down one generation.
H&M's female-line grandchildren will be Miss/Mister 'Surname of their father'.

H&M's eldest son (if they have one) will most likely at some point become HRH The Duke of Highgrove (unless LPs' are changed); his children will be Lord's and Lady's, his male-line grandchildren by his eldest son as well - but by other sons and daughters any grandchildren would just by Miss/Mister Mountbatten-Windsor (for male-line), Surname of their father (for female-line). His eldest son (a great-grandson of Charles) will be known as Earl of Balmoral until he become the Duke of Highgrove - when he takes over the Duke title, he will not be a Royal Highness but a His Grace as the title ceases to be a Royal Dukedom (as we will see in the next decades with the Duke of Kent and Duke of Gloucester titles).

Hmm, don't think it is much clear now, actually. Most important is that:
1) Only children and male-line children of the monarch are prince(ss) with the 'territory' of Harry's Dukedom.
2) Children of titled descendants (who are not prince(sse)s are Lord / Lady Mountbatten-Windsor, except for the direct (male-line heirs) who will use the secondary title(s).
3) The Dukedom ceases to be royal (HRH --> HG; also has implications for order of precedence) when it is passed on to someone who is not a son or a male-line grandson of a monarch.

I'm putting in my hope for "Duke of Kensington" That has a nice ring to it. :)
Also wanted to mention, although any children of Harry and Meghan won't automatically be born with an HRH Prince/Princess, the queen can confer those titles/styles on them if she so chooses.

I'm putting in my hope for "Duke of Kensington" That has a nice ring to it. :)
Also wanted to mention, although any children of Harry and Meghan won't automatically be born with an HRH Prince/Princess, the queen can confer those titles/styles on them if she so chooses.

She could - that's why I put a condition on it. I just hope she doesn't. It would be really weird if she had male-line grandchildren that (by exercising her will) aren't a prince and princess while making her great-grandchildren princes and princesses...

Dukes of Chandos [extinct since the 18th century], Ancaster and Kesteven [1809], Portland [1990], Greenwich [1743], Bridgewater [1843], Cumberland [1765], Montagu [1790].

And yes, a new title CAN be created HMQ being 'the fount of Honours'.

Ooooh! A smorgasbord! ;) Have to say Clarence for some reason is ringing nicely if it stands independently, but not if one has to reference 'the Clarences'.

One has to have a melodious sounding moniker: 'Honey, the Cumberlands are coming over tonight, have you forgotten?' That plays well.

Montagu sounds very French and Shakespearean. 'Honey, have you forgotten the Montagus are coming over tonight?'

Or even more exotic: 'Honey, have you forgotten the Ancasters are coming over tonight?'

I like Cumberland. :flowers:

Those are the only three that roll off the tongue (for me):

Seeing as Harry and Meghan's first joint engagement is this Friday in Nottingham, maybe they're planning on making him Duke of Nottingham or Nottinghamshire.....

Is Cumberland even an option?

I'm still pulling for Clarence!!!

LARae

Although I think the title will end up being Sussex, Duke of Kensington (as unlikely as it is) does sound rather nice.

Is Cumberland even an option?

I'm still pulling for Clarence!!!

LARae

No, it is not. The current pretender would be Ernst August of Hannover. It would be nice if they returned it to his son (Ernst August jr) when he becomes the head of the house.

I like Cumberland.

I do to, but as a very famous variety of English Sausage they may not.. Ancaster sounds terribly grand imo, and Montagu sounds rather Frenchified and medieval. I like them both !

Won't William get Highgrove when Charles passes on ?

'Honey, the Buckinghams are coming to dinner, please put on a clean shirt!' Hmmm....:ermm:

'Honey, the Buckinghamshires are coming to dinner, please put on a clean shirt!' No.....:sad:

'Honey, the Clarences are coming to dinner, please put on a clean shirt!' I dunno.....a little awkward....not trippingly.....exactly.....but.....maybe.....;)

Well unless the Queen creates a new title the choices are kinda limited.

I just had a thought though....Evidently Meghan/Harry have a real fondness for Windsor...so who's to say it won't happen?

LaRae

Won't William get Highgrove when Charles passes on ?
It's bought with the Duchy's money, so yes, William can use it as The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall.

As I said, I just used a random title (and Highgrove had a nice royal ring to it; Harry won't be owning Balmoral either ?) to avoid starting a discussion over the exact title when only explaining how the title would work for Harry's descendants (independent of the one chosen).

Seeing as Harry and Meghan's first joint engagement is this Friday in Nottingham, maybe they're planning on making him Duke of Nottingham or Nottinghamshire.....

I think they’re going to Nottingham because of Harry’s work with AIDS/HIV and Meghan is accompanying them.

Is Nottingham available? I thought someone holds that title.

There is already an Earl of Nottingham, altho' perhaps 'Sheriff' is available ???

I wonder why Meghan is fond of Windsor particularly ? Perhaps the venue of 'the long walks' ?

Perhaps THEY may 'lance the boil' of that name in a Ducal Title ?

There is already an Earl of Nottingham, altho' perhaps 'Sheriff' is available ???

I wonder why Meghan is fond of Windsor particularly ? Perhaps the venue of 'the long walks' ?

Perhaps THEY may 'lance the boil' of that name in a Ducal Title ?

I LOVE it Sheriff of Nottingham totally fits...
I don’t think anyone will use ‘Duke of Windsor’ again barring some unfortunate circumstances but that would definitely be a surprise and unique

I love the sound of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. However, the title was created for the ex-King and his not-accepted wife. Granting this title to H&M may suggest that they are 'lesser' or not accepted. Especially if you consider Wallis and Meghan's similarities.

I love the sound of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. However, the title was created for the ex-King and his not-accepted wife. Granting this title to H&M may suggest that they are 'lesser' or not accepted. Especially if you consider Wallis and Meghan's similarities.

Yes, there is a lot of negative connotations and just bad history with that title. Considering the effect it had on her family and particularly her father, I doubt the Queen, or any other monarch for that matter, would reuse it. The only similarity between Wallis and Meghan is that they’re American which I wouldn’t consider the reason for Edward and Wallis not being accepted. But I think that’s a different thread so I’ll be quiet lol

Perhaps they'll have a new title:

Duke & Duchess of Cumbria - a new county which resulted from the amagamation of Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness in NW England

Duke & Duchess of Shropshire - a county on the Welsh border which, like Leicester(shire), Worcester(shire) and other counties has an Earl (of Shrewsbury) but no Duke.

Duke & Duchess of Mercia - a throwback (like Wessex) covering the English Midlands.

Perhaps they'll have a new title:

Duke & Duchess of Cumbria - a new county which resulted from the amagamation of Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness in NW England

Duke & Duchess of Shropshire - a county on the Welsh border which, like Leicester(shire), Worcester(shire) and other counties has an Earl (of Shrewsbury) but no Duke.

Duke & Duchess of Mercia - a throwback (like Wessex) covering the English Midlands.

Ohhh those sounds interesting. Great thoughts! I wasn’t sure about something new. Are there any other new (or old) counties and such that could be used in a title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom