The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 63 25.71%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.71%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.27%
Duke of Ross 8 3.27%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.45%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.31%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.27%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.27%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.67%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.45%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #781  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Because "Princess Royal" is technically a style, not a title, I hope Charlotte receives a dukedom if Louis does. Just as I hope her children are given the style "Prince/Princess" if his children are.

But as you suggest it would be easier to eliminate titles completely and restrict the princely style to the heir's children.
I don't know if we'll ever see a grandchild of a monarch given the style of Prince/Princess unless they are the children of the heir. And yes, I'm aware that wasn't your point.
__________________

  #782  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don't know if we'll ever see a grandchild of a monarch given the style of Prince/Princess unless they are the children of the heir. And yes, I'm aware that wasn't your point.
The Queen's grandchildren HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie aren't the children of the heir.
__________________

  #783  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
The Queen's grandchildren HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie aren't the children of the heir.
Should've made it clearer. I meant again. In the future tense.
  #784  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Should've made it clearer. I meant again. In the future tense.
For grandchildren of a monarch's son (like Louis will be) it is automatic unless specifically stated otherwise as the Queen did for Edward's children.
  #785  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,229
The old Principality of Orange now lies in France, but the heir to the throne of the Netherlands still claims that title based on the premise that it was a title historically held by his/her family. I don't think QEII will make Harry the Duke of Connaught given her absolute aversion to political controversy, but I think it is legitimate for the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, now Mountbatten-Windsor, to claim a title that was historically associated with their family, even if it became extinct and would need to be re-created now.

No need to discuss this topic in my opinion though, as it is not going to happen.
  #786  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
For grandchildren of a monarch's son (like Louis will be) it is automatic unless specifically stated otherwise as the Queen did for Edward's children.
This question has a direct impact on Harry's title, I think, in two ways:

Harry will almost certainly get a dukedom along with an with an earldom or a viscountcy so that if he has a child (son), the earldom/viscountcy will be used as the courtesy title, la Earls of Ulster, St Andrews and Viscount Severn (and even Viscount Linley).

Harry & Meghan aren't going to hang around before trying to start a family but any child born will not be HRH Prince(ss) if the Queen is still reigning when s/he is born, just Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. If Charles ascends to the throne before a baby is born, the child would be HRH Prince(ss) at birth. How will they deal with this? Will the Queen extend the use of HRH Prince(ss) to Harry's children as well (perhaps in accord with Charles' wishes) or will she leave it up to Charles to change things when he ascends the throne?
  #787  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
This question has a direct impact on Harry's title, I think, in two ways:

Harry will almost certainly get a dukedom along with an with an earldom or a viscountcy so that if he has a child (son), the earldom/viscountcy will be used as the courtesy title, la Earls of Ulster, St Andrews and Viscount Severn (and even Viscount Linley).

Harry & Meghan aren't going to hang around before trying to start a family but any child born will not be HRH Prince(ss) if the Queen is still reigning when s/he is born, just Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. If Charles ascends to the throne before a baby is born, the child would be HRH Prince(ss) at birth. How will they deal with this? Will the Queen extend the use of HRH Prince(ss) to Harry's children as well (perhaps in accord with Charles' wishes) or will she leave it up to Charles to change things when he ascends the throne?
The Queen has no reason to make Harry's children HRHs while she is alive and she won't do it IMHO. The relevant question is whether they will become HRHs when Charles is King, or if Charles will change the rules (or create an Edward-like exception) to keep Harry's children styled only as children of a duke rather than princes/princesses. I suspect Harry and Meghan migh ask Charles to do that.
  #788  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Yes. I think that Harry and Meghan will want their children's titles to be just the courtesy titles of a duke...Lord or lady.
  #789  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:42 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmh, Ireland
Posts: 31,952
Hopefully we'll know what title Harry will be getting by this time tomorrow!

I think we can safely rule out Connaught,Aquitaine and New Jersey!
  #790  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Yes. I think that Harry and Meghan will want their children's titles to be just the courtesy titles of a duke...Lord or lady.
Interesting. Why do you think this would be?
  #791  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 375
I hope we find out tomorrow. I think it’ll be Clarence, but I won’t be surprised if it is Sussex.
  #792  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Hopefully we'll know what title Harry will be getting by this time tomorrow!

I think we can safely rule out Connaught,Aquitaine and New Jersey!

I like Aquitaine . Any other available fiefdoms formerly held by the English kings in France ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Interesting. Why do you think this would be?
Because Edward and Sophie opened up that precedent for their children and Harry and Meghan's children will be in a similar position when their cousins (William and Kate's children) grow up.
  #793  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Interesting. Why do you think this would be?
I just think that given the more laid back people that Harry and Meghan are....they would prefer that their children would not be burdened with HRH Prince/Princess titles. It would give their children more privacy.
  #794  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
For grandchildren of a monarch's son (like Louis will be) it is automatic unless specifically stated otherwise as the Queen did for Edward's children.
I honestly think the exceptions will be made going forward if not change the LP entirely. I don't see that happening during Charles' reign, but I expect the exception to be made for Harry's children when Charles does become King.
  #795  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I honestly think the exceptions will be made going forward if not change the LP entirely. I don't see that happening during Charles' reign, but I expect the exception to be made for Harry's children when Charles does become King.
I think this is the more likely scenario. Edward was the youngest of four, whereas Harry is the spare to William's heir.
  #796  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
I think this is the more likely scenario. Edward was the youngest of four, whereas Harry is the spare to William's heir.
Harry is no longer the spare because George already has two younger siblings and all of them are likely to have children of their own too one day.

One might argue that Harry's children should not be treated differently from Beatrice and Eugenie, since Harry is in the same position as Andrew, but that was before Edward and Sophie introduced the possibility of grandchildren of the monarch in male line "giving up" their HRHs (although there were also precedents before, like Patricia Ramsay). Besides, Harry and Meghan might actually want their children not to be HRHs. In that sense, I suspect they are more like Edward and Sophie than like Andrew.
  #797  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 846
Right, I mean in terms of William and Harry's birth order. By all accounts, Meghan is devoted to public service. It seems that a "higher" title is better for public service, but this is just a gut feeling, I don't have anything to back it up. Just conjecture.
  #798  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
What is this about finding out about the titles tomorrow? Time Zones?


LaRae
  #799  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sonoran Desert, United States
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
What is this about finding out about the titles tomorrow? Time Zones?


LaRae
That's probably my post when I thought William and Catherine's titles were announced a day before their wedding, but it was actually announced the morning of their wedding. I got the time wrong on the Clarence House tweet. It was posted at 11:59 PM my time, Apr 28 , USA West Coast (7:59 AM UK Time, Apr 29), but I had read the tweet incorrectly as Apr 28 11:59 AM my time.
  #800  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Ah ok..I thought they were changing how it was being done!


LaRae
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 5538 05-19-2018 06:37 AM
Which dukedom will inherit the first child of Victoria and Daniel? principessa Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 24 02-25-2012 02:20 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baptism biography britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life fashion and style genetics george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! henry viii hereditary grand duke guillaume history jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical monarchy mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry queen consort queen louise solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward sussex swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×