Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its possible that Charles was criticized as well but I think it was explicitly Diana.. who had denied that she'd been involved with the book "Diana Her true Story" but she had been briefing the media quite a lot..

There could be a similar risk with the current generation, IMo there have been leaks from very close to certain parties, this might all come back to bite.

I think also we need to be clear about legit comms between the press and the palaces, of course the royals want there message out. Quite often the sources although not named are close to the family but that is often to promote whatever the latest project is.
The danger is when the leaks as opposed to off the record briefings are to cause trouble

I think the plan is to come for KP comm team. The Times according to DM claims the comm team didn't defend because it was true. Ok. This is from the defendant and now the comm team may have to testify.

I think the plan is to come for KP comm team. The Times according to DM claims the comm team didn't defend because it was true. Ok. This is from the defendant and now the comm team may have to testify.

I think the KP comm team acted appropriately according to the law. The Duchess cannot demand that they defend her from an allegation that is true. If an allegation is factually true, by definition there is no libel, or am I missing something here?

Bingo. They can lose the lawsuit and still come out ahead financially. However, now it seems like they will not even lose the lawsuit and both sides know it

how would this work? they wouldn't have to pay the lawsuit fees but how would the DM benefit financially from wining it?

Perhaps Covid-19 could turn out to be a blessing for this couple. If they were to lose the lawsuit that could be a stepping point in which H&M take stock of things and as they're still within "the year in review" by both sides (I'm assuming), it could be deemed that *because* of the virus and how its drastically changed things in 2020, they decide the best move is to return to the fold like the Prodigal Son.

i think there's no way they will be allowed back in as if nothing happened. had they spoken about their desire to leave, tried it out for a year, not caused drama, and then asked to come back... yes, why not?

but after all the drama and this? i don't see how all this can be reversed back. even if they do come back the reality is that they're highly unpopular.

Unless the Queen and Charles decide they want the monarchy to end, they’ll not agree to Meghan ever setting foot in the UK. Harry is blood and will be publicly welcomed back and then hidden away somewhere for a few years

true. but i still can't see how harry would be allowed back if still married. unless, of course, this happened if they divorce, if meghan was out of the picture.

I dont think that Harry will split up with her.. but I think if Meg "has" to, she'll come back.

I was just reading that just now,

IMO it is now reading as almost like a justification for the story in the People magazine.

They wouldn't defend me so my friends did.

how would this work? they wouldn't have to pay the lawsuit fees but how would the DM benefit financially from wining it?

i think there's no way they will be allowed back in as if nothing happened. had they spoken about their desire to leave, tried it out for a year, not caused drama, and then asked to come back... yes, why not?

but after all the drama and this? i don't see how all this can be reversed back. even if they do come back the reality is that they're highly unpopular.

true. but i still can't see how harry would be allowed back if still married. unless, of course, this happened if they divorce, if meghan was out of the picture.

He is a British Citizen, they cannot stop him from coming back to this country. They might not give him a warm welcome or make life easier for him but they cannot stop him entering the country.

P>S. I do believe there are legal ways to stop a citizen coming back into the country, but I do not think Harry is on that road, it doesn't matter how much he has annoyed his granny.

Last edited:
I dont think that Harry will split up with her.. but I think if Meg "has" to, she'll come back.

My gut feeling is that Charles would take both Harry and Meghan back if they wanted back in. William, on the other hand, would not take Harry back unless he and Meghan split. Of course, I have no way to back up this "feeling".

IMO, they've already benefited financially just from people buying the DM or clicking on links to read about this court case. It's my prediction that they'll want to extend the actual court date as long as possible and keep their stories running. Some of the articles have even been turned into books.

That's why I said I think the DM knew a cash cow when it walked into their pasture. :D

My gut feeling is that Charles would take both Harry and Meghan back if they wanted back in. William, on the other hand, would not take Harry back unless he and Meghan split. Of course, I have no way to back up this "feeling".

Naa. I agree with others who say Meghan would no be welcomed back. She has now essentially attacked the royals with the tantrum she pulled with this new paperwork.

I think the KP comm team acted appropriately according to the law. The Duchess cannot demand that they defend her from an allegation that is true. If an allegation is factually true, by definition there is no libel, or am I missing something here?

There also appears to be a theory within the palaces that if you comment on something you give it oxygen, where by if you say nothing it could be tomorrows chip wrappings.

If you do not comment nobody can be sure of the truth, if you deny, you are saying it is false, so what do you do if the story is true but you do not want to confirm that.

Would they deny a true story?
That is why they do not comment.

It does make sense when you think about it.

There also appears to be a theory within the palaces that if you comment on something you give it oxygen, where by if you say nothing it could be tomorrows chip wrappings.

If you do not comment nobody can be sure of the truth, if you deny, you are saying it is false, so what do you do if the story is true but you do not want to confirm that.

Would they deny a true story?
That is why they do not comment.

It does make sense when you think about it.

Its the proverbial idiom along the lines of "boys will be boys". If they spent time denying or defending every tidbit printed, they wouldn't have time for anything else. Commenting either way just adds fuel to the fire.

Found this on another forum.

https://www.bylineinvestigates.com/...n-markle?format=amp&__twitter_impression=true

I have a lot to say about this. If it is true sue away Harry, just keep it on the case.
But it also brings up a few questions about how the couple met and some rumors that have been floating around.

On 31 October 2016, the first story was headlined: “Harry and the actress’s wristbond”, which implied that the couple wore identical blue, black and white bracelets as a token of their affection.

Byline Investigates understands that lawyers say that the text of the article contains high-levels of private data.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had been dating for around six months after meeting at the Invictus Games – a multi-sport event for army veterans created by him - in Toronto, Canada.

“On the following day, November 1st 2016, The Sun ran another story headlined: “Smitten Harry bombarded Meghan with texts until he got date.”

And someone pointed something to me elsewhere: why is Harry threatening to sue when it is Meghan information that has been searched?

And also that perhaps with the exception of hacking her phone and using the information (assuming that’s what happened) and the SSN (though her identity was not stolen), much of the information is probably public records and is not illegal to obtain so not much to sue over.

Last edited:
Naa. I agree with others who say Meghan would no be welcomed back. She has now essentially attacked the royals with the tantrum she pulled with this new paperwork.

No, if any Royals were 'attacked' (and I haven't seen any evidence of this) it would of been done by BOTH of them. Harry is fully involved in all this that is going on.

Still don't understand this desire to make it all Meghan's doing/fault or whatever you want to call it. Yes I know her name is on the lawsuit, however that does not mean she is doing this somehow without Harry's support or involvement.

LaRae

No, if any Royals were 'attacked' (and I haven't seen any evidence of this) it would of been done by BOTH of them. Harry is fully involved in all this that is going on.

Still don't understand this desire to make it all Meghan's doing/fault or whatever you want to call it. Yes I know her name is on the lawsuit, however that does not mean she is doing this somehow without Harry's support or involvement.

LaRae

As you said the lawsuit is Meghan’s lawsuit, not Harry.
No matter what Harry feels on the record he is not the one doing these accusations!

And as others mentioned: Harry is blood, Meghan is not and has proven once again she can not be trusted to not trash the family if she does not get her way.
She does not seem to have any loyalty but to herself. And this is dangerous for a family like the royal family.

If I were in the queen and Charles shoes I would never again trust this woman, let alone welcome her back into the family fold.

IMO, they've already benefited financially just from people buying the DM or clicking on links to read about this court case. It's my prediction that they'll want to extend the actual court date as long as possible and keep their stories running. Some of the articles have even been turned into books.

That's why I said I think the DM knew a cash cow when it walked into their pasture. :D

Fully agree . There was no way the DM was ever going to settle this .

He is a British Citizen, they cannot stop him from coming back to this country. They might not give him a warm welcome or make life easier for him but they cannot stop him entering the country.

P>S. I do believe there are legal ways to stop a citizen coming back into the country, but I do not think Harry is on that road, it doesn't matter how much he has annoyed his granny.

he can come back, but if hes not that welcome. will he want to?

he can come back, but if hes not that welcome. will he want to?

Going back to a point I made a few months ago, life in North America is very different in many ways from life in the UK, and even (English) Canada is not much different from the US in terms of lifestyle and culture. I would assume that, like most ordinary English men, Harry must miss things like rugby, football (meaning soccer), or even cricket. On top of that, as an upper-class Englshman, he may miss other things too like shooting or polo. He also had his own former social network in Britain, although I understand he had already been cut off from it somewhat after he got married.

I guess what I am trying to say is that relocating to the US or Canada is not a breeze for him and probably not without personal cost (it would have been probably easier for him if he had moved to Australia or the Western Cape instead). The reason why he moved, I think, is basically that he felt his wife was unhappy (and maybe "unprotected") in the UK and then he put his immediate (nuclear) family's happiness above anything else. I suppose he would consider coming back to England if he could, but I don't see him doing it as long as Meghan insists on living overseas.

Last edited:
I am a little confused about something- why did the palace press officers not come to her defense? They’ve done it numerous times in the past. The DM (and I take everything they say with a grain of salt) says it’s because what was published was true rather than false accusations.

yes of course not. i wasn't referring to entering the country. i was referring to welcoming him back into the institution as a 'senior royal', as they like calling it, as if this circus hadn't happened. that they very much can do. i know i would!

That is a very good point, or is it because they did not print the actual letter just brought it to the worlds attention with a summary of the contents.

However, according to Meghan the summary was completely off-base. She did not try to reconcile nor did she state that she had only one father... The part that seems correct was her response to her father's letter that she deemed very unsatisfactory. Not surprising (given his previous behavior) that he wanted to defend himself by making clear that Meghan's letter was misrepresented by her friends.

Going back to a point I made a few months ago, life in North America is very different in many ways from life in the UK, and even (English) Canada is not much different from the US in terms of lifestyle and culture. I would assume that, like most ordinary English men, Harry must miss things like rugby, football (meaning soccer), or even cricket. On top of that, as an upper-class Englshman, he may miss other things too like shooting or polo. He also had his own former social network in Britain, although I understand he had already been cut off from it somewhat after he got married.

I guess what I am trying to say is that relocating to the US or Canada is not a breeze for him and probably not without personal cost (it would have been probably easier for him if he had moved to Australia or the Western Cape instead). The reason why he moved, I think, is basically that he felt his wife was unhappy (and maybe "unprotected") in the UK and then he put his immediate (nuclear) family's happiness above anything else. I suppose he would consider coming back to England if he could, but I don't see him doing it as long as Meghan insists on living overseas.
I think that if they don't manage to make the money and Charles suggests at the one year review that they come back, I believe meghan will come back. She may not want to.... but I think she will. I agree that Harry wouldn't want to corm back if Meg were really unwilling but again, hes only been married 2 years. A bit longer down the line maybe he will miss the UK and his familiar way of life a lot..

I think that if they don't manage to make the money and Charles suggests at the one year review that they come back, I believe meghan will come back. She may not want to.... but I think she will. I agree that Harry wouldn't want to corm back if Meg were really unwilling but again, hes only been married 2 years. A bit longer down the line maybe he will miss the UK and his familiar way of life a lot..

But why would Charles suggest that? Is there a point when they have gone to far, brought too much damage to the BRF, for them to return in the fold?

The most comparable situation I can think of (although also very different as she wasn't an official member of the royal house), is the situation of princess Margarita, former queen Beatrix' niece. She and her former husband treated the family very badly and because of that she was no longer welcome. However, after her divorce she apologized and now, with her second husband and daughters, she was fully accepted back into the family and seems to enjoy a close relationship with her aunt. I guess the royal family primarily blames her husband for influencing her so badly cq manipulating her which allows them to distance her previous behavior from her and welcome her back with open arms.

Charles need to speak to Harry about this now, I think - just at least to express his disappointment. I don’t think Harry will ever return period - And definitely not without Meghan.

As you said the lawsuit is Meghan’s lawsuit, not Harry.
No matter what Harry feels on the record he is not the one doing these accusations!

And as others mentioned: Harry is blood, Meghan is not and has proven once again she can not be trusted to not trash the family if she does not get her way.
She does not seem to have any loyalty but to herself. And this is dangerous for a family like the royal family.

If I were in the queen and Charles shoes I would never again trust this woman, let alone welcome her back into the family fold.

:previous:

Harry is still the wild card, however. There’s no way Charles is going to cut his daughter in law from the family; he’d lose Harry and Archie.

I don't believe they will ever come back to the royal family.
Meghan and the firm is just not a good fit. I believe Meghan is far too independent, head strong, opinionated, and just different for the royal family and Palace officials to deal with.

[....]

I think all we can hope for now is for the Sussexes and the royal family to exist independently and have a distant but harmonious relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Harry goes after the PI snooping on Meghan. A tabloid has no lawful reason to go for her SS#.

If the Sussex's moved back to England I believe it would be that they can't make it financially. I agree with whoever said Harry must be missing Polo and his lifestyle. The big adventure has turned out to be shelter in place and no privacy. Because of Covid many jobs aren't available. Harry would never have moved to America by himself. He was more interested in Africa certainly not LA. Must be very lonely for them.

It may not be all that bad. Harry does have long time friends who live in the USA.

For example, his longtime wingman Tom Inskip and his family live right outside of Washington DC.
If the Sussex's moved back to England I believe it would be that they can't make it financially. I agree with whoever said Harry must be missing Polo and his lifestyle. The big adventure has turned out to be shelter in place and no privacy. Because of Covid many jobs aren't available. Harry would never have moved to America by himself. He was more interested in Africa certainly not LA. Must be very lonely for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom