The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I agree to a point. I think a part of her realizes (although she would never admit it) that she is going to be a curiosity on a "real housewife" level and not on the Oprah, Beyonce, Jay-Z and Clooney level. So, I think they are now trying to do whatever they can to stay in the public eye and relevant because neither of them have anything of value besides their "brand" to achieve the financial independence they crave.
What is any of that theory based on? Most likely both will be known for their philanthropy work as that is what is currently being covered by most of the media within the US. What do Oprah, Beyonce, or Clooney have to do with anything? Both have shown in the past and even now they aren't afraid of the actual work so I would say they have a lot more to offer than just a brand.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
if they "don't want to play that game" why move to LA where there is a pretty big set of paparazzi, and why continue to lead a public life? They could live privately, as ordinary people, work quietly in some hands on way In charities (when the crisis is over) and not engage in disputes with the press, or any public stuff like social media. There's no need. As royals it was their duty to do charity engagmenets but they gave up on that. Now they can lead the private life they claim to want, and after a while the press will lose interest and wont compare them to "good Will and Kate"...

What did they do but volounteer to a charity and walk their dogs? And LA is where Meghan comes from and her mother lives. Even though "Hollywood" is part of it. We have no idea where they live, could be they moved in a friend's house with Doria? Coud not be... They talked to their "old" charities on giving them ideas how to help - yes, they could have left them, but why not giving ideas, even from over the pond? We haven't seen anything from them apart from that bank event speech since they went to Canada (and don't know what happened to the money Harry got from it) but I follow quite some "stars" who are at home now in LA and there is so much more coverage from everyday life at the moment, so it's not as if the paps are sleeping.
And as I said before: telling the world they called the queen ended all articles that wondered "why Harry isn't calling the queen".. And don't tell me you believe this wouldn't have happened if they didn't make their call public! And that you believe that they are working now together with this TZM (?) who bought her father to make their wedding uncomfortable??? For I would have to laugh out loud about , well, you can imagine!

Old 04-22-2020, 04:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
er the Sussexes did not "give the money to charity". The BBC did, and its public money... All the Sussexes did was suggest a charity to donate to...
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...irus-donation/

There's no indication in anything I've read that this is 'public money.' Reportedly, the BBC and Meghan & Harry discussed in advance what to do with any excess profits generated from coverage of their wedding. I believe that includes sales of the BBC video. So apparently, after the BBC was recompensed for their expenditures and after they received sufficient profits, the 'excess profits' were to go to the couple. But in the lead-up to their wedding, Harry & Meghan arranged with the BBC that any 'excess profits' held in their name would be earmarked for a charity of their choosing.

Yes, it may seem misleading in some headlines that the money came directly from the personal bank account of Meghan & Harry. But reading the articles carefully, it's unequivocally straightforward that the Sussexes were notified of the current amount of the 'excess profits' recently, and that they chose for the money to go to the Archbishop's charity, Feeding Britain. It's definitely an opportune time for this to happen, so it's a positive development. And the profits may still be accumulating (once again, likely in part from sales of the BBC video).

Again, while it's not coming directly out-of-pocket, I don't see any reason to negate that Harry & Meghan are responsible for why these funds exist, and for how and to whom these funds are being distributed, in cooperation with the BBC.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
BP said last week that any calls from family for the Queen’s birthday would be kept private, so I do find it a bit odd that Meghan and Harry announced that they called her. Don't think it was at all necessary.
I agree that does seem a bit odd. Meghan and Harry should appreciate privacy more than anybody, so it does seem strange they would make this public.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd say the one thing they have been consistent in is their inconsistency.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Several posts that engaged in repetitive arguments about the Sussexes, and the responses to those posts have been removed. You have been reminded to stick to General News about the Sussexes, and not to engage in endless rehashing of arguments that have been exhaustively discussed in the past on this and other threads.

Further posts along those lines will be deleted without notice.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I continue to be astonished at just how little I care about them these days. I wish them well, but they are just not that interesting.

At some point it became difficult to identify with all the things that made them unhappy. I have my own struggles, and none of them are very interesting either.

I think I'm over the fairy tale.
It's like they've become some sort of stale reality show. The mood toward the Duchess and Harry in the US has definitely soured in the public's mind. People are weary of all celebrity thirstiness on parade right now, H & M included. Harry was wildly popular here at one time and the change is dramatic.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
It's like they've become some sort of stale reality show. The mood toward the Duchess and Harry in the US has definitely soured in the public's mind. People are weary of all celebrity thirstiness on parade right now, H & M included. Harry was wildly popular here at one time and the change is dramatic.
I live in the States and I haven't seen any souring by the public on them or their popularity. Most of the focus has been on Stay in Place orders, our "President" and Covid-19.

Personally I think the Sussexes are still very interesting...I have been made aware of some wonderful and worthy charities thanks to following the couple and their work.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:59 AM
Serene Highness

Personally - without creating WWIII here - I think the palace said that to prevent the press asking for clips of the royal family singing Happy Birthday on Zoom with all their little heads on various windows. But it does sounds ridiculous to announce it like an announcement .
Old 04-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Courtier

With regard to the recent Sussex announcement on tabloids this article in The Guardian attempts to take a reasoned look at the decision.

For clarity:

The Guardian is a left wing/liberal publication (republican leaning).
The author would self identify as a progressive most likely with much the same world view as the duchess.
The Guardian does not like (despises really) tabloid newspapers.

Always helpful to understand context.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...xes-newspapers
Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
With regard to the recent Sussex announcement on tabloids this article in The Guardian attempts to take a reasoned look at the decision.

For clarity:

The author would self identify as a progressive most likely with much the same world view as the duchess.

The Guardian may despise the tabloids but they allow their commentators a lot of leeway when it comes to the other things they despise: loud celebs claiming to have a right to be better than others. This comment is against both, with the author putting Harry & Meghan firmly in the celeb place.

And when it comes to attacks against the media, once they are from the outside, I feel they all feel threatened.

I'm a journalist from Germany who learned her job 35 years back and back then, we as "real journos" were shocked about how the German tabloids (Bild, Express, Super-Illu and the like) treated people and have been thinking that this is simply not done. But nowadays it is done and not many journalists think it is not okay, while the readers have no idea at all that what they read is not "news" but bias.

So yes, maybe I am old-fashioned but my bad feelings about the tabloids don't goi away, even when I think that Harry & Meghan had let their hand being forced by leaks from inside the palace. It doesn't make right what happened and it doesn't give a good idea about what will happen in the future. Harry & Meghan lived in Harry's hometown and were not happy, now they are in her birthtown and we'll have to see what will come out of it.But I honour their fight and hope that on fighting the tabloids they can win a more dignified life for themselves!
Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

It will be interesting to see what charities they get involved with after the C.V. quarantines etc are lifted. I'm looking forward to seeing that work...and of course I am hoping a pic of Archie when he turns one!

LaRae
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

But the call was private. The couple did not violate BP's request by releasing details of the call. All they said was that the family had a zoom call with the Queen.

For now the couple does not have a social media platform (they need one) to release things pertaining to the royal family such as birthday wishes so they must use a spokesperson.

I guarantee you if nothing was known you would see the vitriolic Daily Mail writing how Harry and Meghan didn't have the decency to send the Queen a card or call to say Happy Birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
BP said last week that any calls from family for the Queen’s birthday would be kept private, so I do find it a bit odd that Meghan and Harry announced that they called her. Don't think it was at all necessary.
The couple doesn't want obscurity, nor do they want only positive and glowing reviews. They just want to be treated fairly by the press and not to be castigated by the media with fictious articles and downright lies.

Apparently that is too much to ask for....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Great post but I seriously doubt that obscurity is what they actually want..

They have done nothing to prove that they want to get less attention. [...]

Their biggest failure is in not realizing that "all publicity is not good publicity" for the rarefied strata that they wish to occupy. As a C-list actress, all publicity was good publicity because it got Meghan noticed and acting roles but she is now A-list and the same publicity rules do not apply.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:

For clarity:

I liked that article. Balanced and quite clear sighted.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
The Guardian may despise the tabloids but they allow their commentators a lot of leeway when it comes to the other things they despise: loud celebs claiming to have a right to be better than others. This comment is against both, with the author putting Harry & Meghan firmly in the celeb place.

And when it comes to attacks against the media, once they are from the outside, I feel they all feel threatened.

I'm a journalist from Germany who learned her job 35 years back and back then, we as "real journos" were shocked about how the German tabloids (Bild, Express, Super-Illu and the like) treated people and have been thinking that this is simply not done. But nowadays it is done and not many journalists think it is not okay, while the readers have no idea at all that what they read is not "news" but bias.

So yes, maybe I am old-fashioned but my bad feelings about the tabloids don't goi away, even when I think that Harry & Meghan had let their hand being forced by leaks from inside the palace. It doesn't make right what happened and it doesn't give a good idea about what will happen in the future. Harry & Meghan lived in Harry's hometown and were not happy, now they are in her birthtown and we'll have to see what will come out of it.But I honour their fight and hope that on fighting the tabloids they can win a more dignified life for themselves!
Different perspectives are always good. I mustn't go off topic but my own views on the tabloids would be fairly unprintable. I would agree that the press needs to be able to scrutinise public figures but in a fair & dignified way.

You do make a very good point about the temptation for the press to close ranks.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Different perspectives are always good. I mustn't go off topic but my own views on the tabloids would be fairly unprintable. I would agree that the press needs to be able to scrutinise public figures but in a fair & dignified way.

You do make a very good point about the temptation for the press to close ranks.
It is inevitable that will close ranks. They all know each other and have more in common with one another than the Sussexes.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
It is inevitable that will close ranks. They all know each other and have more in common with one another than the Sussexes.

That is what makes me very sad! All my life I have tried to be a decent Journalist and not lower myself to write about gossip or invent any lies and now here people think that way and IMHO they are mostly right.

I was once so proud of my job but now I am glad I am retired.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
That is what makes me very sad! All my life I have tried to be a decent Journalist and not lower myself to write about gossip or invent any lies and now here people think that way and IMHO they are mostly right.

I was once so proud of my job but now I am glad I am retired.
No one said they did write gossip and lies. The Guardian certainly don't when they wrote about the Sussexes. It is just they are going to defend a person doing the same job as them at times they think are warranted.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Gentry

I like the couple and never had any negativity. I am rooting for them. If they are truly attention seekers they would IMO have never left the UK and being senior royals.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I liked that article. Balanced and quite clear sighted.

I agree. It's an excellent piece.

Closed Thread