Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can potentially see Rose being used, but not Rosemary. Rosemary is definitely an elderly woman name these days. :lol: I would love it if they named the baby Rose, and called her Rosie. :wub:

I'm not fan of nicknames, but I do love Rosie from the name Rose. Very beautiful.
Lovely name, by far my favorite of the ‘flower’ names. Better IMO than Petunia, Pansy, Violet, Jasmine, Dahlia, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Holly, Iris, Ivy, Marigold, Camellia, or Daphne.
I have a grand niece named Rose - she’s the younger (by a few minutes) of twin girls - and a delightful but determined 2 1/2 year old she is, her sister loves to create chaos and she loves putting things back in their proper place.
Most call her Rosie, but for some reason I use Rose.

Lovely name, by far my favorite of the ‘flower’ names. Better IMO than Petunia, Pansy, Violet, Jasmine, Dahlia, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Holly, Iris, Ivy, Marigold, Camellia, or Daphne.
I have a grand niece named Rose - she’s the younger (by a few minutes) of twin girls - and a delightful but determined 2 1/2 year old she is, her sister loves to create chaos and she loves putting things back in their proper place.
Most call her Rosie, but for some reason I use Rose.
How cute! Her sister has a flower name too?

I like Rose, Lily and Violet. The others not so much. Some are horrid. BTW, isn't Margaret a flower name? It is in my country: Margarida.

I like Rose, Lily and Violet. The others not so much. Some are horrid. BTW, isn't Margaret a flower name? It is in my country: Margarida.

Margaret traditionally means pearl, in Greek and Persian.

But Margriet is also the Latin word for a type of daisy. That is why Queen Margrethe is nicknamed Daisy. And Beatrix's sister was named Margriet as the daisy was the symbol of resistance to the Nazis.

No, her sister does not have a flower name.:flowers:

It would be a nice gesture to include a member of the extended royal family as a godparent.

I don't see choosing a godparent as 'making a nice gesture'. Its usually about choosing someone to have a special role with your child. Yes it would be nice for them to choose a family member, but why George? He wasn't even close enough to get a wedding invite. It seems like you closed your eyes and threw a dart at the family tree.

Speaking of members of the extended BRF who could more likely be considered for a role as Godparent,
it's a long list....

Some youngsters could be fun for the baby -
Margarita Armstrong Jones - could have a joint birthday bash in May 2023
Lady Louise - teach the tot carriage driving
Arthur Chatto - body building and exercise
Frederick, Sophie or Ella Windsor - there is the actress connection
Mike Tindall - kick the footy with junior
Beatrice - great for hat advice
Peter Phillips - for fun holidays with horses and girls.

The family is full of quality Godparent potential.

I would LOVE Mike Tindall. He's one of my favorites in the family.

I will cry tears of joy if ELF is named as a godfather.

Tears of joy :ohmy:

Chance. Jamie Lower-Pinker is George's godfather, so not out of the question.

Think Mark Dyer is far more likely and more significant choice. He has played a far more important role for Harry growing up.

I still think we will see even godparents, three from each. I think Harry will have a:
-cousin: one of the York girls seems like top contenders, maybe a Spencer
-friend: Thomas VS or Skippy or someone
-role model: Mark Dyer seems most likely IMO

But then again ELF is said to have been a big help to Meghan. So maybe along with 2 of her friends (since her family is unlikely unless she uses someone like Ashleigh) ELF is her choice.

Last edited:
Tears of joy :ohmy:

Chance. Jamie Lower-Pinker is George's godfather, so not out of the question.

Think Mark Dyer is far more likely and more significant choice. He has played a far more important role for Harry growing up.

I still think we will see even godparents, three from each. I think Harry will have a:
-cousin: one of the York girls seems like top contenders, maybe a Spencer
-friend: Thomas VS or Skippy or someone
-role model: Mark Dyer seems most likely IMO

But then again ELF is said to have been a big help to Meghan. So maybe along with 2 of her friends (since her family is unlikely unless she uses someone like Ashleigh) ELF is her choice.
I will say, ELF was seated in the Quire while Mark Dyer was not. I don’t think it means Mark Dyer is not as close to Harry, but just different and there was obviously limited room and ELF was seated on Meghan’s side. Mark Dyer was there for Harry when he was a young boy and having a difficult time. ELF helped him find his way in his role. But, there is no reason why both of them can’t be. Mark Dyer and his wife were also seen with Meghan a lot.

Last edited:
I will say, ELF was seated in the Quire while Mark Dyer was not. I don’t think it means Mark Dyer is not as close to Harry, but just different and there was obviously limited room and ELF was seated on Meghan’s side. Mark Dyer was there for Harry when he was a young boy and having a difficult time. ELF helped him find his way in his role. But, there is no reason why both of them can’t be. Mark Dyer and his wife were also seen with Meghan a lot.

Remind me, besides George, the name of Harry's choice in page boys :whistling:

Clearly Mark has not simply been a figure in his childhood. Mark was introduced to Meghan early on in their relationship. Harry is godfather to his son Jasper. And Jasper served as one of the page boys in the wedding. Where ELF has been an employee for five years (a good one yes), Mark has been in Harry's life for more then half his life. He was involved in Sentebale, he is said to be a friend of Seeiso, and he currently sits on their board of directors.

Unless Meghan chooses ELF, it seems unlikely they will both be used for the first child. They have plenty of personal choices among family and friends without honoring their staff members.

Last edited:
Who is ELF? Sorry if I am the only one who does not know this.

I would LOVE Mike Tindall. He's one of my favorites in the family.

I will cry tears of joy if ELF is named as a godfather.

Jacqui24, are you related to Ed Lane Fox?
It could be cool to be related to a royal Godparent; best of luck.

Last edited:
Jacqui24, are you related to Ed Lane Fox?
It could be cool to be related to a royal Godparent; best of luck.

Haha, no. I just enjoyed the moments we saw him share with Harry and the work he did setting up Harry’s Office and IG. I think they were quite a team. I also really enjoyed to see how happy he was on the day the Sussexes’ engagement was announced and on subsequent engagements.

Remind me, besides George, the name of Harry's choice in page boys :whistling:

Clearly Mark has not simply been a figure in his childhood. Mark was introduced to Meghan early on in their relationship. Harry is godfather to his son Jasper. And Jasper served as one of the page boys in the wedding. Where ELF has been an employee for five years (a good one yes), Mark has been in Harry's life for more then half his life. He was involved in Sentebale, he is said to be a friend of Seeiso, and he currently sits on their board of directors.

Unless Meghan chooses ELF, it seems unlikely they will both be used for the first child. They have plenty of personal choices among family and friends without honoring their staff members.
I’m well aware of Jasper’s role. Like I said, it’s different. But I wouldn’t discount ELF. And like I said, there is no reason why both can’t be.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a Girl - 'May' .

I had a great Aunt May, and it was the name used by George V for Queen Mary..so it has 'history' as well as being unused by the current Royal Family.

I'd prefer Mary... I don't think it is possible to guess, with this one. With Kate's children George and Charlotte were very conventional choices. Louis was a bit unusual, but it is a royal name. With Meg and Harry I really feel Ive got no idea what they will choose

Well, shelve all those suggestions of girl names. The Earl of Dumbarton has been born!

I suppose the name won't be announced for a couple of days, but I think boy's names are easier to guess.

I’d like to see Philip especially since neither Edward nor William choose that name for their sons. Alas, I don’t think they will choose that name. I can’t even come up with a good guess.

I told a friend the other day “my money is on May 6”. I can’t believe I was right :)

In a previous post, I guessed that they’d go with the name Frederick Philip David. I’ll stick with this

The name 'John' is trending right now, and it does have a nice ring to it.

John, Earl of Dumbarton

Perhaps,
John Philip Alvin
(using Meghan's grandfather's, and Harry's grandfather's names)

The name 'John' was mentioned to the BBC by the former diary editor of The Tatler, because it was one of Diana's father's and grandfather's names. Looking at the genealogy chart of Meghan and Harry, I notice that 'John' is also one of Meghan's paternal ancestor's first names (approximately a four times great-grandfather).

Last edited:
I think Nelson sounds too much like a last name, and it doesn't have that great a ring added to Earl of Dumbarton. Probably Harry & Meghan have names in mind, as Harry indicated they've had a bit of time to do some thinking since the baby was late arriving.

I wonder if they actually kept to their admitted desire to not finding out the gender until the baby was born.

I told a friend the other day “my money is on May 6”. I can’t believe I was right :)

In a previous post, I guessed that they’d go with the name Frederick Philip David. I’ll stick with this

Perhaps 'Philip,' possibly 'David,' as one of the names. But I doubt 'Frederick' because that's one of Harry's cousins' names: Lord Frederick Windsor. I think M&H will want a unique and special name for their son that doesn't repeat too closely other immediate family names, aside from Philip's since he is so old and a great-granddad.

Come to think of it, 'David' is unlikely as well, since that was the name the former Duke of Windsor was known by.

Last edited:
Probably Harry & Meghan have names in mind, as Harry indicated they've had a bit of time to do some thinking since the baby was late arriving.

I wonder if they actually kept to their admitted desire to not finding out the gender until the baby was born.

Maybe they're like some people I've known and were hesitant to decide for sure on a name before the baby was in arms so they could see if the name felt right for that child. I even know one couple who realized about a week after the birth certificate paperwork was filed that they didn't think the name they'd chosen was a good fit, to the point that they legally changed it as soon as possible!

Not that I quite understand that...my husband and I settled on names early in each pregnancy and couldn't even imagine anything else by the time our babies were born.

Benjamin and Alexander are my two favorites.
I wish they would incorporate a nice African name to honor the Prince's love of for the continent. Much like Crown Princely couple of Denmark did for their twins.

Ok, I am still betting on Weasley name.
Septimus. Arthur. Percy. Frederick (I know, there is one Freddy Windsor, but still). Ronald. Hugo. James and Albus Severus, let's be generous.

Ok, all of them are awful. No Weasley name then.
But press will whine "untraditional" and "broken protocol" if H&M don't choose Weasley name, so, to hell with it, Septimus it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom