The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1141  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Archie is not a political statement. He shouldn't be used as a 'see there is no truth to the rumors'.

And that is exactly what it would come off as. Especially considering Kate, who is 'so close to Harry' never asked him to be godparent to her kids.

Yes the royals sometimes use their siblings for godparents. The reason when George was born I thought Harry would be godfather. But by child three and he still wasn't used, there was clearly a reason neither William or Kate used any of their siblings.

I was made a godparent (surprised to find out twice over) for the first time 2 weeks ago. In the modern sense it has become like becoming a 'aunt or uncle' to the child. That you step into that role when you are a godparent. It is one reason in recent decades, some people opt not to use siblings. Siblings already are aunt/uncle.
Maybe that's how "it would come off as" to you. .... To me, it would come off as a lovely gesture to a sister-in-law they're fond of. And I'm sure that would be the motivation behind making Catherine his godmother. I'm also sure Harry and Meghan don't give a hoot about how things "come off" to strangers if they wanna make their sister-in-law their son's godmother. An added joy would then be to see the morons who dedicate hours of their day to pitting her and Meghan against each other squirm over it. I thought it was fairly easy to decipher from my previous post that aforementioned joy would be entirely on my part and that I definitely don't think they would "use" () Archie to make a statement. Maybe it wasn't.

You also don't need to explain the role of a godparent to me. I am a godmother multiple times over myself – also to a sibling's child (born in recent years) My intention was not to assume how Harry and Meghan define the role of a godparent but to point out that it's not a given that they're among the people who don't go for close family because they'll be a part of the child's life regardless. As you say "some people opt not to use siblings". And to the best of my knowledge, we have no idea whether Harry and Meghan are amongst those people. That was my point. As for your comment about Harry not being made a godfather to any of the Cambridge children – hey, maybe William and Catherine are among your peeps?
__________________

__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
Our Princess

  #1142  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:58 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 6,248
Hon. Edmund Burke Roche could be a godfather.
__________________

  #1143  
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,895
Only if he is a close friend of Harry's or Meghan's.

They aren't going to chose a person just because they are a distant relative. The days of choosing relatives for their 'name' value but who isn't a close friend of the parents have gone.

The only criteria Harry and Meghan will use is friendship between them and the person chosen.

If Harry is close to him then he is a possibility but otherwise I doubt it.
  #1144  
Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Only if he is a close friend of Harry's or Meghan's.

They aren't going to chose a person just because they are a distant relative. The days of choosing relatives for their 'name' value but who isn't a close friend of the parents have gone.

The only criteria Harry and Meghan will use is friendship between them and the person chosen.

If Harry is close to him then he is a possibility but otherwise I doubt it.
I have to agree with this. I don't think I've ever heard it mention that either Harry or William associate on a personal level with Mr. Roche. The Fermoys were closer, I believe back in the time of the Queen Mother and it was Diana's mother that married into the Spencer family.

Harry and Meghan definitely will pick relatives and friends that they're close to as being a godparent is considered entrusting your child's spiritual life to the godparents should something happen to the parents.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1145  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 PM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,558
Several posts have been deleted. If you wish to bicker amongst yourselves, please do so via PM. These threads have enough issues as it is.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #1146  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,345
Meghan will only pick the closest of friends, IMO. Markus and Genevieve are my top guesses. I would have said Jessica or Lindsay but seems they can’t.

I wouldn’t rule cousin Celia with Harry. I also think Eugenie is right at the top of the list.
  #1147  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Rena M.'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kraków, Poland
Posts: 134
Michelle Obama for godmother, because she wrote on twitter: "Barack and I are so thrilled for both of you and can't wait to meet him"

I think, the name Archie comes directly from Diana the goddess of hunting, who carries a bow. The french word for bow is arc - also arch in english (archery, archer).
While in the Netherlands Harry tried his hand at archery as he was parted from his baby son Archie.
Why Archie, not Archer? I think for the same reason it's Harry not Henry - Diana's choice.

Diana a goddess of the hunt
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...3442047%29.jpg
__________________
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
  #1148  
Old 05-13-2019, 05:13 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,766
Nicknames as full names like Archie are very common here in the UK and have been for some decades, so that could also be an explanation of why Archie is "just" that and not Archer or Archibald. Archie as a name itself was the 18th most popular in the British charts in 2017.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #1149  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 843
Archie is a common name in itself now, that's true, and a sweet name.
It is still quite a shock to see such a nick name derived name used for a royal baby.
That is the discussion driver.
Also the use of only two names; that is quite new.
The omission of any traditional name, that is also new.
Modern, newer names are more likely to be trendy, or not, and to prompt an opinion on the name.
We will all get used to Archie and his name.
Firstly, his parents will adore him and they look like they will be good parents.

Archie's godparents will be in for a fun time.
I guess William or Catherine will be included.
  #1150  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
Michelle Obama for godmother, because she wrote on twitter: "Barack and I are so thrilled for both of you and can't wait to meet him"

I think, the name Archie comes directly from Diana the goddess of hunting, who carries a bow. The french word for bow is arc - also arch in english (archery, archer).
While in the Netherlands Harry tried his hand at archery as he was parted from his baby son Archie.
Why Archie, not Archer? I think for the same reason it's Harry not Henry - Diana's choice.

Diana a goddess of the hunt
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...3442047%29.jpg

Harry is Henry. His legal name is Henry, they just call him Harry.

If they were going to simply use Archie as a nickname (ala Harry) it would more likely be Archibald not Archer.

Archie is a family name. The future Baron Fermoy is Archie. There are a number of Archibalds in the Spencer and Windsor trees.


I don't see Harry and Meghan honoring Diana through a Roman goddess.
  #1151  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 6,248
Do you think that the christening will occur at St. Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham?
  #1152  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,895
No. I would expect it would be at St George's at Windsor - same place as Harry's baptism and where they married. It may even be in the private chapel at Windsor - where the Wessex children were baptised.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no announcement beforehand that it has even happened - in a similar manner to the baptisms of the Philips and Tindall children. We only know about their baptisms because The Queen attended 3 of the 4 and William attended the fourth.
  #1153  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,195
Wondering about St George's ...


LaRae
  #1154  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,540
Harry wasn't just married at St George's he was also christened there. It would be extra special for Archie to be baptized there.

I don't see Archie's baptism being a secret. Not the public show perhaps of the Cambridge kids but still. He is the grandson of the future king. Peter and Zara are private citizens, so their kids' baptisms were private. Harry and Meghan are not private.

I would think it will be along the lines of Louise and James'.
  #1155  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,895
I do think St George's is the likely venue - close to their home at Frogmore, easy for the Queen and Duke to attend, can be totally private as they can simply close the castle for the day or part thereof if they want to do so and also has meaning for both Harry and Meghan as it is where they married but also it is where Harry himself was baptised.
  #1156  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I do think St George's is the likely venue - close to their home at Frogmore, easy for the Queen and Duke to attend, can be totally private as they can simply close the castle for the day or part thereof if they want to do so and also has meaning for both Harry and Meghan as it is where they married but also it is where Harry himself was baptised.
St G is the obvious choice, but they could also use one of the other churches on the Windsor Estate that the Queen regularly worships at.
  #1157  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,906
I have to ask - why is Charles not set to visit Archie until later this week? He’s been back from Germany for a couple of days - why wouldn’t he see his son and grandson as soon as possible - assuming Meghan was ok?
  #1158  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Har.


I don't see Harry and Meghan honoring Diana through a Roman goddess.
no of course not. If they had wanted to mention Diana they could have added her second name to Archie's names. I think that Archie was chosen just because they like it, and its popular.. and Harrison is "son of Harry"...Clearly they want to show by his names that they think of him as just an ordinary child, not a royal, at present.. (he may become a prince later) but for now he's just an ordinary boy..and they want to keep press coverage of him at a minimum.
  #1159  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
St G is the obvious choice, but they could also use one of the other churches on the Windsor Estate that the Queen regularly worships at.
Now that would be a really 'ordinary thing to do. I like it. Perhaps it will be sooner rather than later, before Doria returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I have to ask - why is Charles not set to visit Archie until later this week? He’s been back from Germany for a couple of days - why wouldn’t he see his son and grandson as soon as possible - assuming Meghan was ok?
How do we know he hasn't?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #1160  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Now that would be a really 'ordinary thing to do. I like it. Perhaps it will be sooner rather than later, before Doria returns.

How do we know he hasn't?
I was basing it on what I read in the media, but...........I should know better, lol
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child wymanda The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 1329 04-27-2018 12:57 PM
Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy Zonk Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 1185 07-01-2007 07:00 AM
Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy Jasl Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 443 01-21-2006 06:47 AM




Popular Tags
abdication abu dhabi american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen carolin chittagong commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll duke of sussex facts family tree games george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf haakon vii hill history house of windsor imperial household intro italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery kids movie line of succession list of rulers luxembourg mailing meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen mathilde queen maxima random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon sussex swedish queen taiwan tracts tradition uae customs unsubscribe videos wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×