The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleDoNicely View Post
Oh yes of course...forgot about that...and Earl Spencer's Charlotte is Charlotte Diana! There's a lack of originality there. I think Harry and Meghan will likely be less traditional with their choice...if not Charles then maybe something not used by the Royals such as Benjamin or Matthew.
Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer carries the names of many of her Spencer forbears. Those names have been common in the family for centuries.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
In theory I like the idea of Thomas being included as an olive branch/nod to the good times, but in reality I think it would be a PR disaster to name the baby for a father she’s not speaking to.
Markle Snr has 5 other grandchildren. We know that he has not met the older two and barely speaks to the other three. Meghan should not include her father's name. He has proven to be a liability plus her deadbeat half brother has that name too. No Thomas should not be included.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I like Alex or Alexander. Other than that, I like John. Let’s see if I’m right in a few hours!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:03 AM
Serene Highness

Alexander was my Scottish Grandfather's name & I carried that into my own children so I'd love them to include it.

On my English side I love my ancestors' names of Gideon & Tristram but they're about 1000/1 for this baby!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thomas" will definitely be included in the mix. That way it paints Meghan in a favourable, forgiving and faultless light.
A serious case of 'virtue signaling'? How contemptible to name a child on the basis that it makes 'me look good' ?
I hope the Duchess won't stoop that low.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 AM
Commoner

I'm hoping for Charles or Philip. And no Alexander, Albert, Alfred or Arthur. :)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:30 AM
Serene Highness

I hope the name is something old but not as common and could potentially be trendy again like Archibald. Perhaps name him after a male abolitionist feminist also like Frederick Douglass or Parker Pillsbury. Frederick, in particular, would pay tribute to both the royal and American sides of him. It would be absolutely cool to have a great grandson of the Queen named after an escaped slave turned abolitionist and activist.

Charles Frederick Parker aka Frederick would be great.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Courtier

OK this is a serious suggestion. Along the lines of the Danish royal family where those further down the line of succession have somewhat more normal names, like Nikolai, Felix and Vincent in particular. They may not double up on any names in the extended family and friends (so excludes David, James, Arthur, John, Benjamin, Peter, etc). So not many names left ��

So I like Alexander, Marcus (nod to Markle), Frederick, Hugo, Oliver ...so difficult! Hope they make the correct choice for them and us ��
Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Royal Highness

What was Dorias father called?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Alvin Ragland.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Courtier

How about "Theodore"? Nods to Doria and has some cool nicknames, Theo or Teddy

Theodore Marcus Arthur Charles
Teddy Sussex or Theo Sussex

I think this is the ONE ��
Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
As I recall Meghan's mother's family were from Malta...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtahHotep View Post
I remember reading in Morton's biography that the Malta connection was from her FATHER'S side of her family. I think the ancestor was a maid at Victoria's court for some time. That is, at least, what I remember.
The Malta connection is on Meghan's father's side, via his mother. Here once again is the Meghan/Harry shared ancestral chart for reference:
https://www.americanancestors.org/up...rkle-chart.pdf

So yes, it is Mary Bird (Thomas Markle Sr's great-grandmother). Mary Bird once worked as a maid in one of the royal palaces. She was Irish, and she married Englishman, George David Merrill (whose ancestry can be traced directly back to King Edward III, as we see on the genealogical chart). Bird and Merrill moved to Malta, and subsequently emigrated to America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem7 View Post
My guess: Charles Philip David John. Maybe throw a 'Thomas' in there, if Meghan is feeling especially sentimental.
I doubt they will use Thomas as a name. I would bet on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes, and her father's name was Edward not John. That doesn't mean they couldn't use Maurice's proper first name to honor him. Edmund is far more likely IMO then Maurice.
Diana's grandfather's name is Albert Edward John Spencer. Her father's name is Edward John Spencer, and he used his middle name.

Quote:
Old fashion names are certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Laugh that you think Claude or Alvin are not old fashioned

Xan is already a nickname in the family, Xan Windsor.
Yes indeed, in the eye of the beholder. Sure Claude and Alvin are rather old-fashioned too. I just happen to prefer the sound of those names over Edmund. And I really like Caleb and Connor too, which goes nicely with the Earl of Dumbarton.

I don't know if anyone posted this fascinating article yet:
The Sunrise Sussex: names for a royal baby born with the dawn chorus – Royal Central

I didn't realize that Charles suggested Zara's name, because she is also a sunrise baby! This article provides a lot of interesting possibilities. I really like Sol (because they chose a passage from Song of Solomon for their wedding). I also really like Lucien (light), and Zain, which means Godly Light (Zane was Meghan's character's last name on Suits)

Quote:
Why would James Middleton be taken into account He is not a family connection of any kind to Harry and Meghan.
I didn't say that James Middleton would be taken into consideration. I only said that he's someone associated with the royals who also has the name, James. I just doubt the Sussexes will use James, chiefly because Harry already has a cousin named James. It could be one of the names, but I doubt the given name. Anything is possible.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

'Harold' or 'Ælle' - first king of the south Saxons [from whence comes the name Sussex]?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
How about "Theodore"? Nods to Doria and has some cool nicknames, Theo or Teddy

Theodore Marcus Arthur Charles
Teddy Sussex or Theo Sussex

I think this is the ONE ��
Theodore would be perfect!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
I hope the name is something old but not as common and could potentially be trendy again like Archibald. Perhaps name him after a male abolitionist feminist also like Frederick Douglass or Parker Pillsbury. Frederick, in particular, would pay tribute to both the royal and American sides of him. It would be absolutely cool to have a great grandson of the Queen named after an escaped slave turned abolitionist and activist.

Charles Frederick Parker aka Frederick would be great.
We have a winner!! Moby suggested Archibald (Archie)!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts discussing Baby Archie’s name have been moved here.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Alvin Joffrey Ragland.

So at least little baby Sussex's name begins with an 'A.' But that's it. Meghan and Harry are always surprising us. The name 'Archie' is unexpected. I do think that someone mentioned 'Archibald' in this thread, but it was never commonly mentioned. And it looks like 'Archie' is the given name, similar to Diana immediately letting everyone know that little Henry would always be called 'Harry.'

In addition, I remember that someone here mentioned the name, 'Harrison.' So that was a good call!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:03 PM
Courtier

OK I love the name, Archie that they chose. But now I can't help but wonder how informal they would have been with their girl name and will they continue the casual vibe....?

I would like to think names like Lucy or Rosie or Hannah could have been/still are on their list.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
OK I love the name, Archie that they chose. But now I can't help but wonder how informal they would have been with their girl name and will they continue the casual vibe....?

I would like to think names like Lucy or Rosie or Hannah could have been/still are on their list.
Veronica? Ronnie for short?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:19 AM
Aristocracy

If they are going get second child name guessing will be very difficult. How many even guessed Archie there?

Closed Thread