Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henriette or Henrietta could be the middle name of a daughter.

Jack Brooksbank could be a godfather.

There had been an English & Scpottish queen Henrietta Marie and her daughter, thus an English & Scottish princess, calleed Henrietta Anne.

If it's a girl and Jack is a godparent, they could go for Jacquetta, there was Jacquetta of Luxembourg who was first as the wife of John of Lancester, Duke of Bedford the sister-in-law of Henry V., but later married Earl Rivers and managed to marry her daughter Elizabeth Woodville to Edward IV. (of York). Her granddaughter Elizabeth of York brought the Crown to the Tudors.

Even if Jack is a godparent, which I have serious doubts about, I doubt they’d name their child after him. There are quite a few people that would be in front of him if they wanted to name their child after someone.

My friend thinks this will be the name too if it’s a girl :)

Didn't the Queen nix Annabel when the Yorks wanted to use it?
They went with Beatrice instead.

And personally, I hope they don't choose Henrietta, simply because I think it's an awful name.
If the baby's a girl, I hope they'd choose something pretty!

(I once read about a study where people had to rate the attractiveness of females by photos.
The picture of the same woman was rated much higher when it was labeled April than when it was labeled Bertha).

If it's a girl and Jack is a godparent, they could go for Jacquetta, there was Jacquetta of Luxembourg who was first as the wife of John of Lancester, Duke of Bedford the sister-in-law of Henry V., but later married Earl Rivers and managed to marry her daughter Elizabeth Woodville to Edward IV. (of York). Her granddaughter Elizabeth of York brought the Crown to the Tudors.

Or Jacqueline, after Jacqueline Kennedy.?;)

Or Jacqueline, after Jacqueline Kennedy.?;)

Jacquetta is the English version of Jacqueline, the original name of the princess was Jacqueline de St. Pol. But as she was living in England, she became Jacquetta of Luxembourg because her father, the Count of St. Pol, was the Head of the St.Pol-Ligny line of the Luxembourg family.

At the time of Jacquetta's birth, her father's cousin Sigismund of the senior branch of Luxembourg, was Holy Roman Emperor and king of Bohemia, Hungary and Croatia. Sigismund only left a daughter, Elizabeth of Luxembourg who had married Albert of Habsburg, Archduke of Austria, and it's through her that the Habsburg took over the LUxembourgian lands and titles in Germany.
Thus Jacqueline/Jacquetta is known in German history as Jacobäa von Luxemburg.

Si I guess if they choose the name of this ancestress of Harry's, they'd go for the English version??? As everything in this thread, it's pure speculation.

:previous: Jacqueline is widely used and recognised as a name in English speaking countries and has been for a long time (though is generally seen as quite dated here in England, or at least where I live it's more used for the baby boom generation of the '50s and '60s), so I don't think there'd be any issues at all surrounding Jacqueline should they use it. Jacquetta, though, would be a nice nod to the royal connections with the name but I doubt the Sussexes would choose either one.

For a son Hugh could be used as a middle name.
For a daughter Emmeline could be used. Emmeline is a variant form of Emily.

There is a possibility of a royal name no one has mentioned. There were 5 queens consort with this name, it covers all the female relatives, so what is it
Catherine ( or similar spelling after DOC)
Theodora (after Doria)
Frances (after Diana)
Mary (after HM). What do you think? it is certainly doable.

:previous: All of those names you list have been mentioned before in this thread.

This isn't my original idea as I saw it in a tweet in a thread next door but when it was mentioned, it sounded like a darned good idea. Lady (Princess) Daphne of Sussex.

Harry and Meghan have sent a Happy 99th Birthday card to the woman that has won Harry's heart and the hearts of all that followed the tour down under. Harry met her when single and again when he was newly married and introduced his wife to Daphne and stated that they'd like to bring their child there to meet her also. (the pregnancy had just been announced)

Its a beautiful name that has meaning for the couple without stirring up anything in a teacup. Of course if its a boy.... nevermind. :D

Yes, if it's a girl, I really love this idea. Did you see the video where the Sussexes' friend Daphne received birthday greetings from them in the hospital. Hearing from Harry & Meghan with a card and a photo gift helped to perk her up. I hope Daphne makes it until the Sussexes can get back to Australia. And if the baby is a girl, naming her Daphne would be such a great tribute and honor for this lovely, amazing woman.

Daphne Frances Henrietta
Daphne Frances Jeanette

@Mirabel, I get you not liking the sound of Henrietta. I would not choose it as a first name, but I see nothing wrong with using it as a second or third name. ?

A boy could be called Devin, Damon, David, Daniel.

For a son Hugh could be used as a middle name.
For a daughter Emmeline could be used. Emmeline is a variant form of Emily.

Hopefully the Sussexes will stay far away from anything close to 'Emily,' which is the name of a particular RR. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For a son Bertram could be used as a middle name.
For a daughter Martha could be used as a middle name.

Matilda for a girl, Alexander for a boy.

Hi, everyone. Long time member and lurker, but first time poster. :flowers: I'm with Scarebaby about Matilda, but I'm thinking Richard for a boy.

I am so excited about this baby!

:previous: All of those names you list have been mentioned before in this thread.

Yes, if it's a girl, I really love this idea. Did you see the video where the Sussexes' friend Daphne received birthday greetings from them in the hospital. Hearing from Harry & Meghan with a card and a photo gift helped to perk her up. I hope Daphne makes it until the Sussexes can get back to Australia. And if the baby is a girl, naming her Daphne would be such a great tribute and honor for this lovely, amazing woman.

Daphne Frances Henrietta
Daphne Frances Jeanette

@Mirabel, I get you not liking the sound of Henrietta. I would not choose it as a first name, but I see nothing wrong with using it as a second or third name. ?

A boy could be called Devin, Damon, David, Daniel.

Hopefully the Sussexes will stay far away from anything close to 'Emily,' which is the name of a particular RR. ;)

Daphne Dunne, the Australian fan of Harry, passed away Monday, April 1. She was 99 years old.

Last edited:
:previous: It would be a lovely gesture if Daphne were to be included in the names somewhere in honour of the late Mrs. Dunne. Not as a first, but as a middle name. I'm sure the family would be incredibly touched and it would mean Daphne Dunne would live on as being the couple's biggest fan in their daughter's memory, should the baby be a girl ?

While there was affection and respect between Daphne and Harry, Daphne was not a relative so I think it unlikely.

Then again, Princess Dorothy Daphne Doria Diana has a certain ring ding to it.
.......... Dotty for short.

:previous: Yikes too many d's

While I think Daphne will always be remembered by Harry, I doubt enough to be a name. Harry has met and connected with many people, through tours and Invictus as well. Singling out one, as sweet as Daphne was, seems unlikely. Seems more likely they would honor family or people with more of a connection to them.

Maud Windsor has it as a middle name but its in honor of her mother's family.

How about the compound name of Mary Alice for a daughter?

Double first names aren't very common with the UK royals. Havent been one since Edward VII's eldest and youngest sons. I doubt we will see it here.

I think the baby will have at least 3 names. I know Margaret only had 2, but it seems more likely the baby will have 3-4 names. If Mary Alice was used, would likely be something like Mary Alice Doria, and called Mary.

Last edited:
If the baby is a girl, how about Sethunya for one of the names. It is a female name in the Tswana language of Botswana meaning bloom or flower. Or Keeya which is garden flower.
I still like Lorato though, which means love.

Last edited:
I think the baby will have at least 3 names. I know Margaret only had 2, but it seems more likely the baby will have 2-3 names. If Mary Alice was used, would likely be something like Mary Alice Doria, and called Mary.

I do think Doria will somewhere in the mix and i don't dislike Alice or Mary but
Mary Alice Doria
would initial to
MAD
?

i hope they mind how the name turns out as initials, it's a petpeeve of me :lol:

Why on earth would it be Mary Alice? Alice perhaps as that is the name of Philip's mother.. but I can't see why Mary Alice. And as has been pointed out, British Royals don't usualy have double names.

For some reason, I'm really feeling Amelia if it's a girl... Maybe Amelia Frances Doria or Amelia Elizabeth Diana?

<snip>Amelia Elizabeth Diana?

I think this is lovely.

Above I said Richard for a boy, but I'm also thinking about Philip; if not the first name, at least one of the middles.

I love Alice, and while Lady Alice Mountbatten-Windsor is fine, Princess Alice of Sussex (should she be upgraded at some point) sounds way too hiss-y to me.

I think this is lovely.

Above I said Richard for a boy, but I'm also thinking about Philip; if not the first name, at least one of the middles.

I love Alice, and while Lady Alice Mountbatten-Windsor is fine, Princess Alice of Sussex (should she be upgraded at some point) sounds way too hiss-y to me.

True, Ps Alice of Cambridge would have been OK, but Sussex not so good. I don't think that Philip really is keen on his name being used, otherwise I would have expected William to use it as a middle name for one of his boys.. I don't know what H and Meg are going to go for.. think it is too hard to guess...

If the baby is a girl, how about Sethunya for one of the names. It is a female name in the Tswana language of Botswana meaning bloom or flower. Or Keeya which is garden flower.
I still like Lorato though, which means love.

I'm semi-fluent in Setswana and I'm fairly certain Sethunya means gun. I really hope they don't give their child a Tswana name. They aren't Tswana and have no real connection to the culture & its people.

I'm semi-fluent in Setswana and I'm fairly certain Sethunya means gun. I really hope they don't give their child a Tswana name. They aren't Tswana and have no real connection to the culture & its people.
I cant imagine that they would do that, but who can say....

I read that it was blossom in several articles on southern African names.
Also, I read that Tswana was the language spoken in Botswana, a country with which they certainly do have a connection.
I am no expert and was relying on information that was supported in multiple sources.

I read that it was blossom in several articles on southern African names.
Also, I read that Tswana was the language spoken in Botswana, a country with which they certainly do have a connection.
I am no expert and was relying on information that was supported in multiple sources.

Im sure they have visited lots of places, but that does not mean that they would give their child a name from them.

You're right, O-H Anglophile, an African place, flower or country name could be chosen.
I have quickly researched some Tswana baby names.
I'm no expert - just trusted the site Mom Junction.

Lady Botshelo Bontle Keeya Sylvanella Dikeledi - nick name ... Sheila
meanings - life, born beautiful, garden flower, little forest and tears

Lord Phefo Fenyang Mothibi Mykel Tapologo - nick name ... Fee-fi-fo-fum
meanings - windy, trailblazer, driver of animals (Philip inspired), peace and relaxation

I'd back Elizabeth, Charles or Diana before these names but they are sweet.

Double first names aren't very common with the UK royals. Havent been one since Edward VII's eldest and youngest sons.

Princess Margaret was formally called Princess Margaret Rose while she was a girl.

And as has been pointed out, British Royals don't usualy have double names.

Not currently, but double names were common in the British Royal Family during the 18th and 19th centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom