King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan & Jetsun Pema: 13-15 October 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuckoo

Gentry
City
hangzhou
Country
China
Bhutan2011RoyalWeddingsymbol.jpg

2011 Royal Wedding Symbol

Bhutan's "King Charming" to wed commoner later this year

– Fri May 20, 11:12 am ET
THIMPHU, Bhutan (Reuters) – The young and dashing Bhutanese king on Friday announced his engagement to a commoner, sending his adoring subjects into rhapsody at the prospect of a grand wedding later this year in the last of the Himalayan kingdoms.

King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, termed "Prince Charming" for his Elvis Presley looks, smiled as he named his bride, a 21-year-old student at London's Regents College, during his speech opening parliament.

"Her name is Jetsun Pema. While she is young, she is warm and kind in heart and character," the 31-year-old Oxford-educated monarch told the gathered lawmakers. "I have decided that the wedding shall be later this year."

Source:Bhutan's "King Charming" to wed commoner later this year - Yahoo! News

Last edited by a moderator:
Very down-to-earth. It´s almost scary :flowers:

Since he came into power, the new monarch - known as the Dragon King - has striven to continue the elder Jigme's philosophy of promoting what he once referred to as 'Gross National Happiness'.

"Destiny has put me here. I will protect you as a parent, care for you as a brother and serve you as a son," he promised as he was crowned.

"I shall give you everything and keep nothing. This is how I shall serve you as king."

source: King of Bhutan announces engagement - hellomagazine.com

I like him. I don´t know much about Jigma, but from the photos she seems like a confident woman :)

Thanks Kasumi! :flowers:

Sharing his idea of a queen, His Majesty said that many will have their own idea of what a Queen should be like – that she should be uniquely beautiful, intelligent and graceful. “I cannot say how she might appear to the people.” And after a brief pause he added, “But to me, she is the one,” His Majesty said, which generated some hesitant laughter in the otherwise formal and sombre parliament hall.

0019.gif

No, no lucien. It´s balm for the sould to hear this from a head of a state ;)

Congratulations to the happy couple! I don't know much about the king but he seems to be an interesting person, so I will follow him more from now on. ;) Jetsun looks stunning!

i wonder which kind of dress she will wear. i suppose it will be a Bhutanese traditional wedding dress. but as i dont know Bhutan's style of clothing, i really wondering what will she wear.

Didn't some palace sources state that she was NOT a commoner? I remember I read this somewhere in The Royal Forums, maybe in the engagement thread...

Didn't some palace sources state that she was NOT a commoner? I remember I read this somewhere in The Royal Forums, maybe in the engagement thread...

You're correct. Her full name is Ashi Jetsun Pema, where Ashi means Princess. It was in the Bhutanese Royal thread.

But as someone else has stated, I cannot wait to see an official picture of their wedding just to see their traditional costume. Bhutan are relatively new to TV and the Internet, so I suspect when the King's father married the four sisters, there were no photos issued.

AFP: Bhutan counts down to royal wedding
The main wedding ceremony takes place on Thursday in a stunning 17th-century fortress surrounded by mountains and built at the confluence of two fast-running rivers in the ancient capital Punakha.
The newlyweds appear in public for the first time on Saturday at a sports stadium in the sleepy present-day capital Thimphu, where thousands of Bhutanese are expected to turn out in colourful national dress.
The announcement of the nuptials in May broke the hearts of the king's many admirers -- he was once mobbed on a trip to Thailand by weeping teenagers -- but it has brought joy to his people, who idolise the royal family.

Royal bride Ashi Jetsun Pema offered prayers at the Druk Wangyal Lhakhang in Dochula, on her way to Wangduephodrang where she will spend the night on the eve of the Royal Wedding.
The wedding will be held in the 17th century Punakha Dzong on Thursday.

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** - photo courtesy: Royal Office of Media

King of Bhutan marries his commoner bride

PUNAKHA, Bhutan (AP) _ The beloved king of the tiny Himalayan nation of Bhutan married his commoner bride Thursday in an ancient Buddhist ceremony at the country's most sacred monastery fortress.
King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck, wearing the raven crown, came down from his golden throne in front of a huge statue of Buddha to place a smaller, silk brocade crown upon the head of his bride, Jetsun Pema. (Queen's crown pic)
Monks chanted in celebration as she took up her seat beside him as the new queen of the country. - Associated Press Via Acquire Media NewsEdge

King of Bhutan Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck (L) and future queen Jetsun Pema (R) stand together during their marriage ceremony in the main courtyard of the 17th-century fortified monastery or dzong in Punakha on October 13, 2011. Bhutan's 31-year-old king marries a student 10 years his junior on October 13 in an isolated valley high in the Himalayas where thousands of nomads and villagers have gathered to celebrate.

**Pic** - mcot.net

Long live the King and the new Queen of Bhutan!:flowers:

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom