Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Internet I have been looking videos of the beautiful wedding last night until four o'clock. I just couldn't stop, it was so compelling and touching. Unfortunately we didn't see the wedding live here, but today we had a 1,5 hours programme of the ceremonies of yesterday.
A very beautiful bride she was and he a handsome bridegroom. I wish them happines throughout their lives. May God bless them.

Mary's official title is H.R.H Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth of Denmark. She may also be addressed as H.R.H The Crown Princess of Denmark.

Source: Alisa From Royal Blue Forums

Where did little Prince Nicolai and Count Richard sit during the ceremony? I didn't see them there, but just coming and leaving. The litle girsl were sitting on the first bench, but the boys were nowhere. Are there pictures of the little ones?

I know that Mary curtseyed twice during the ceremony, once when entering the church with her father Mary curtseyed to the Queen, and after she and Frederik were married she curtseyed again. Are there pictures of this curtsey?

Oh...I'm still wiping away the tears from Frederik's speech to his lovely new bride. It was nice to read all of the speeches and realize that beyond the tiaras and protocol there is a real family and this was a "normal" family wedding in some respects.

Second thought. I really liked MOST of the dresses. While I wasn't enamored with Claire's or MM's choices, they were very appropriate for the occasion. On the other hand, I thought Letizia (in blazing red) looked great - but maybe a bit flashy for a day in which the bride is supposed to be the only one people are looking at. As for Victoria - well, she did look a bit like sorbet with some silver beads on her head. Not my favorite. Come to think of it - Madeleine's dress was only so-so. Ah...I love criticizing fashion in my pajamas!!!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 14th, 2004 - 6:08 pm
Did you notice how the Prince Consort in his speech paraphrased his own wedding speech to (the then) Crown Princess Margrethe in 1967? The whole flower-theme originated from his first ever speech in danish. (His wedding speech). The Queen picked up on the floral-theme. Coincidence?
Does anyone have an English translation of Henrik's speech to Margrethe in 1967? I'd really like to see that!
~Kathleen

when i watched the live stream I saw

Victoria came a long with Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume the with her arns around his weist

Prince Carl philip giving his sister the Crown Princess Victoria a nice cosy hug and goofing around with her and Princess Martha Louise

they seems to have fun at the party

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 15th, 2004 - 9:23 am
Other Than The British Royal Family, The American Media Were Fascinated With The Danish Royal Family

About eight different news stations in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. aired clips of the Danish royal wedding. More media coverage was given to the Danish royal couple than the Norwegian and Dutch. If I remember correctly, only two news stations aired the wedding of the Norwegian Crown Prince and the Dutch Crown Prince. It was BBC World News and German Journal. Well actually, it's three. Last night 20/20 aired a clip of the Norwegian royal wedding.
MSNBC had a good length story about the wedding as well. I saw it this morning. I am sure it was on last night as well.

Does anyone know if the wedding ceremony etc will be released on dvd to be purchased

Two questions about two guests:

I did not see any pictures of Phillippos of Greece. Did he not attend his maternal cousin's wedding? Will he be in attendance at his paternal cousin's wedding in Spain this upcoming Saturday?

What is the realationship between Roger Moore and the Danish royals? He seems to attend many important events with the Danish royals, such as baptisms and now the Crown Princely wedding.

Is it just me or have the guests formed a heart-shape for Frederik and Mary to dance in? Heart dance

Ok...so I posted earlier today about the special on the royals that was on ABC's 20/20 last night, but somehow it has disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, today I've read a strange article in a spanish newspaper: El mundo, it says that Mary's family (which are medium class ones and do not have lots of money for this kind of event) did a loan to buy the tickets, clothes and everything they needed to be able to assist to this event. The one that was interviewed was the husband of one of her sisters. It is a very weird thing. :shock:

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 15th, 2004 - 3:22 pm

Is it just me or have the guests formed a heart-shape for Frederik and Mary to dance in? Heart dance
Yes, they did. The courtiers or guards are whatever they are called had the people get into a heart before the bride and groom came into the room.

Originally posted by Josefine@May 15th, 2004 - 12:16 pm
when i watched the live stream I saw

Victoria came a long with Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume the with her arns around his weist

Prince Carl philip giving his sister the Crown Princess Victoria a nice cosy hug and goofing around with her and Princess Martha Louise

they seems to have fun at the party
was hgd guillaume there? i hadn't seen any photo of him!! can somebody post one please?

Hello everyone, today I've read a strange article in a spanish newspaper: El mundo, it says that Mary's family (which are medium class ones and do not have lots of money for this kind of event) did a loan to buy the tickets, clothes and everything they needed to be able to assist to this event. The one that was interviewed was the husband of one of her sisters. It is a very weird thing

I wonder if they'll do the same thing to find out how Letizia's grandparents afforded their outfits for the upcoming wedding.

Originally posted by Ariel@May 15th, 2004 - 4:26 pm
Hello everyone, today I've read a strange article in a spanish newspaper: El mundo, it says that Mary's family (which are medium class ones and do not have lots of money for this kind of event) did a loan to buy the tickets, clothes and everything they needed to be able to assist to this event. The one that was interviewed was the husband of one of her sisters. It is a very weird thing. :shock:
that article is posted somewhere on this board. Mary's brother said something along the lines of having to morgage his house to pay for the travel expenses. It is a very sad thing. You would think that the royal family would help them pay for some of the expenses. Surely they have the funds available to do so. It is very sweet however, that Mary's family was willing to do such a thing in order to be a part of her big day.

Originally posted by holly*anja@May 15th, 2004 - 3:34 pm
Ok...so I posted earlier today about the special on the royals that was on ABC's 20/20 last night, but somehow it has disappeared. Just wanted to add that there is footage from the Danish wedding and pictures at:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sections/2020/
Your posts didn't 'disappear.' As they didn't originally mention the Danish wedding extensively, they were moved to Royal Chit Chat, and a thread called Royals on 20/20 which is about last night's show.

Originally posted by Alexandria+May 15th, 2004 - 4:44 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 15th, 2004 - 4:44 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-holly*anja@May 15th, 2004 - 3:34 pm
Ok...so I posted earlier today about the special on the royals that was on ABC's 20/20 last night, but somehow it has disappeared. Just wanted to add that there is footage from the Danish wedding and pictures at:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sections/2020/
Your posts didn't 'disappear.' As they didn't originally mention the Danish wedding extensively, they were moved to Royal Chit Chat, and a thread called Royals on 20/20 which is about last night's show. [/b][/quote]
Thank you :flower:

I didn't realize there was a post about the show.

We have had the wedding, and I personally thought it was beautiful. We have also seen the dress, pictures of which is scattered in various threads.

But I would like your opinion about the dress. Here in Sydney, Alex Perry, a designer said that the wedding dress was "all hideous, really" (I personally don't think much of this designer btw :p ) while dressmaker Luci Dibella siad that it was "regal and classic".

What's your thoughts??

http://www.colourpress.dk/gfx/textarchive_pics/preview/COLOUR10034645.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
O yes, forgot my opinion :p .

I thought it was very regal, very beautiful, and quite conservative. Except for the cut of the neckline, it was a traditional gown as opposed to a modern gown. The colour and the material was sooooo very lovely... it was exactly how it has been described, like that of a mother of pearl colour. All in all, very beautiful but at the same time unexpected because Mary seems to be quite modern. I think this shows that she is quite traditional in some ways. Well, her views on fidelity and marriage as shown in the Politiken article is indeed quite traditional ;) . So yeah, a bit unexpected because I expecter her to be in something modern and flashy.

I really loved the skirt - I can't get over the beautiful folds, and the veil - is it only me or does anyone else think it looks Spanish?? I have seen the Infantas wearing veils when they visited the Pope and it reminds me of that.

I liked it! Thought it was a very pretty wedding gown...classic, but still modern... and she looked so pretty in it...but then again every bride looks beautiful in their wedding dress on their wedding day. Bottom line...perfect dress, perfect wedding and perfect couple! Such a beautiful wedding! :flower:

Originally posted by wyldseraph@May 15th, 2004 - 11:32 pm
Can anyone translate this for me? I think it is a link to buy the official dvd of the wedding, but I'm not sure? What prices are they quoting? And why are there 4 dvd options?

http://www.billedbladet.dk/vote/questionna...?campaignIDX=32
Hi,
I've ordered from it also,and a friend of mine help me with it,
First you have to choose whether you want to buy 1 DVD or 2 DVD's, etc.

Then, you give your name (Navn),Full Address(adresse),Postal No.State and Country(Postnr.og Buy),and your Email.

Hope that will help you. ;)

I thought she looked nice. I especially liked the sleeves with the sleeve cut around the elbows.

Originally posted by Alexandra@May 15th, 2004 - 9:49 am
Where did little Prince Nicolai and Count Richard sit during the ceremony? I didn't see them there, but just coming and leaving. The litle girsl were sitting on the first bench, but the boys were nowhere. Are there pictures of the little ones?
I believe they were sitting in the second row on the grooms' side with their nannies. If you go to http://www.princessalexandradk.com/LINKS.htm you'll find links there from the wedding... the videos dont show them sitting down but you can see in one of them that they're heading towards the second row...also there's pics of them here http://www.princessalexandradk.com/Mary%20...s%20Wedding.htm and at the nikolai thread here. Hope that answers your questions! :lol:

First of all let me say that I know nothing about dresses, let alone weddingdresses. When that is said, I must admit that I found the dress to be very beautiful. The absolute nightmare would have been if she had been wearing one of those meringue-looking dresses that were popular some years ago. Nope it was definately very beautiful and yes regal.

I thought the dress was gorgeous. It layed so nicely; just kind of glided down to the floor. It was perfect for a princess. I liked the color of it too. I'm not much of a fan of bright, winter white wedding dresses. I prefer the candlelight look as this one gave.

At first I did not like the dress, but it grew on me. I now think that it was beautiful. I really loved the sleeves. I read somewhere that they are called calla sleeves, because they open like the flower. I also liked that it was off the shoulder. I thought that was surprising, but I liked it. At first I didn't like the folds on the bottom of the dress, but it grew on me.

The one thing that I really did not like was Mary's hair. I loved the veil and the historical significance of it, and I loved her new tiara. I thought that her hair was horrible. I did not like the high bun. I think that it looked worse when you saw a long range view of her. My only petpeeve of her look.

Perfectly beautiful bride. The gown was lovely, very romantic. The tiara was just right. Desptie the wide choice of tiara's, most royal brides choose the less ornate on their wedding day. The right choice! I think her hair was exactly right. She needed to have a bit of volume at the top so that the tiara and veil could be "anchored". This isn't a bouffant viel, so it needs to be given a bit of height. It was a lovely frame for her. A very beautiful bride.

Back
Top Bottom