Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 4,February 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In addition, the Court translated "bosätter sig" as "take up permanent residence". Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Swedish wording necessarily means permanency. If the couple intended to move to Sweden permanently, would they not have secured a house of their own there (comparable to Villa Solbacken, where Prince Carl Philip resides, or Villa Parkudden, which was earmarked for Princess Madeleine when she was engaged to Jonas Bergström) instead of taking up permanent residence in Princess Madeleine's old bachelorette pad?

I imagine the Royal Mews will be a temporary solution until the O'Neills find a permanent home. A family of five will probably need more space.

I wonder if Chris will move his business to Sweden. And I also wonder if his rumored business failures in America played a role in convincing him to agree to relocating in Sweden. Maybe he will even consider taking up Swedish citizenship and a royal title, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

As for Madeleine, I expect her to resume royal duties in line with Carl Philip and Sofia's current workload.

So either the same stager or something the couple actually own?

Could be both. Or using some elements already on the house.
Usually, sellers made a refresh of the decoration, taken away too personal things and furniture (if there were a lot). It makes looks the rooms bigger and the buyers could releted to the house more.

Last edited:
It could be that they're waiting for some more suitable housing to become available. I'd place my bets on a house at Djurgården or in the Haga or Ulricedal parks for them in the future. I don't remember how big the flat at the mews are, but it's definitely a downgrade from their Florida house.

My friend Sarah from ufonomore.com helped me find a link to the listing.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6330-SW-107th-St-Pinecrest-FL-33156/44024911_zpid/

I browsed through the listing photos and while I would agree that they aren't filled with personal items, there are a few that clearly show some personal items from the family. One with a swing set and trampoline in the backyard, one with a number of children's toys along with a Platform 9 3/4 sign and a children's desk by the window that appears to be a playroom for the kids, one that appears to be a TV room and has what looks to be a much-loved teddy bear on a shelf, the large print of Manhattan in the children's playroom (this particularly caught my attention after Madeleine's post the other day about Leonore being back in NYC for her birthday and we know Maddie loves NYC), etc.

For those complaining about the decor of the house in photos. The house has most likely been staged for open houses/showings. It is normal that when you put your house on the market the first thing you do is remove personal items (photos, decor specific to your tastes, etc.). That way, anyone touring the house can more easily imagine themselves adding their own personal touches. It is a standard staging trick. Further, being who they are, I am sure they've made sure to removed all their treasured personal items.

For those complaining about the decor of the house in photos. The house has most likely been staged for open houses/showings. It is normal that when you put your house on the market the first thing you do is remove personal items (photos, decor specific to your tastes, etc.). That way, anyone touring the house can more easily imagine themselves adding their own personal touches. It is a standard staging trick. Further, being who they are, I am sure they've made sure to removed all their treasured personal items.

You can tell it is staged - the lack of personal decor makes it apparent. The house is beautiful! Light filled and airy.

Chris' work allows him to work-from-home majority of the time, so living in Sweden or US isn't an issue. It a very sudden change - I wonder what spurred it on?

They have never stopped moving around. New York. Stockholm. London. Miami. Stockholm. Maybe this will be the last move. Chris may commute to UK. Who knows.

They have never stopped moving around. New York. Stockholm. London. Miami. Stockholm. Maybe this will be the last move. Chris may commute to UK. Who knows.

The Swedish version of the press release did specify that the relocation is "for the time being" (quoting JR76's translation, which is more accurate than the Court's own translation), and as others mentioned, their apartment in Sweden is probably too small for a royal family's long term residence. Prior moves of the couple which had indications of being permanent turned out to be not so permanent after all (for instance, the couple registered themselves with the Swedish tax board as "settling permanently" in Sweden in February 2015 but then moved to England only a few months later). So it would indeed not be surprising if this was not the final move.

It is a beautiful house and very carefully staged as a family home! Are pool fences not required in America? Thank you for sharing the link JR76!

The Swedish version of the press release did specify that the relocation is "for the time being" (quoting JR76's translation, which is more accurate than the Court's own translation), and as others mentioned, their apartment in Sweden is probably too small for a royal family's long term residence. Prior moves of the couple which had indications of being permanent turned out to be not so permanent after all (for instance, the couple registered themselves with the Swedish tax board as "settling permanently" in Sweden in February 2015 but then moved to England only a few months later). So it would indeed not be surprising if this was not the final move.

They may want to consider some stability for the children.

It is a beautiful house and very carefully staged as a family home! Are pool fences not required in America? Thank you for sharing the link JR76!

The law about fences depends on where you live- where I live the yard has to have a fence but it doesn’t have to be only around the pool. So my father’s house has a fence around his entire property and the pool is only a small part of that fenced in area. The rest is woods, grass, and garden.

The law about fences depends on where you live- where I live the yard has to have a fence but it doesn’t have to be only around the pool. So my father’s house has a fence around his entire property and the pool is only a small part of that fenced in area. The rest is woods, grass, and garden.

Thank you for explaining Sarahbellar! :flowers:

A number of posts speculating on political views and effects have been removed according to the TRF rules.

Maybe Carl Gustafs health problems last month had been the main motivation for Madeleine to move. Maybe she wants to be with her family when one of her parents is ill.

Maybe Carl Gustafs health problems last month had been the main motivation for Madeleine to move. Maybe she wants to be with her family when one of her parents is ill.
Health scares concerning your parents are always a wake-up call, but the King is back at work since yesterday with eight events in the diary for this week. One of them is a full day's visit to the province of Västmanland so he seems to be in full form again.

Last edited:
Interesting develooment. I also wonder what spurs this move and how long they will stay in Sweden. Chris never seemed at ease in Sweden...

I was wondering if it has something to do with the King's recent procedure and that he has to cut back on his Royal Duties. Perhaps to assist her siblings with Royal events for the foreseeable future.

Like most posters, I have not seen this coming. Who knows what is behind it, probably more than one reason.
I feel that royal Sweden will be too crowded soon and that Madeleine and her family will not have a good time with the press. The anonymity has gone. Maybe they will move on again at some point but it becomes more and more difficult to uproot the children.

I was wondering if it has something to do with the King's recent procedure and that he has to cut back on his Royal Duties. Perhaps to assist her siblings with Royal events for the foreseeable future.

(..) But IF she's needed, it's not to assist the King, that's Victoria's job, but maybe Silvia is getting tired and needs to slow down, she's almost 80.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought when I heard the news was "Is his businesses going that badly?". The house in Florida isn't cheap. They won't live for free in Sweden either, but I guess that their living expenses will be much cheaper due to the changing living situations. Add to that no school fees, free health care and other perks.

Then there's the fact that the king and queen are approaching 80, and that M&C perhaps want their kids to learn to speak swedish fluently... all points towards that moving back to Sweden might be a good idea.

The move seems to be very much consistent with the family's mobile lifestyle ever since the birth of Leonore: moving from New York City to Stockholm in 2014, moving from Stockholm to London in 2015, traveling to Stockholm for numerous extended stays (Princess Leonore began attending preschool in Sweden in 2017) while being based in London, and finally the move from London to Pinecrest, Florida (near Miami) in 2018. If anything, the family's stay in Pinecrest has persisted for an unusually long time.

If there is truth to previous tabloid reports (with thanks to LadyFinn), the upcoming move may have been in the works for years:

January 2021:

Svensk Damtidning writes that a rumour started a few weeks before Christmas, after Expressen's reports that Madeleine and Chris had had their apartment at the Royal Mews renovated and expanded - from a five-room to a seven. It was rumoured: "Madeleine thinks to leave Miami as soon as possible, she is on her way back to Sweden”.
Svensk Damtidning asked Margareta Thorgren, if the rumour is true.
Margareta Thorgren chose not to confirm or deny. She just said:
- Princess Madeleine still lives in the United States.
Margareta Thorgren has previously referred to the fact that the expansion of their apartment was done "for logistics and security aspects".
Thorgren also rejected the claim that the plan is that Madeleine takes over some of Sofia's missions after the baby's arrival and said that Madeleine works with her own assignments, mainly with Childhood. She said also that Madeleine hopes to be able to visit Sweden as soon as possible, but it is too early to say now when she can do it.
Ryktet om prinsessan Madeleine och Chris_ Hovets kommentar _*Svensk Dam

August 2021:

Hänt Magazine asked Margareta Thorgren about the rumours that Madeleine and family would move to Sweden. The rumours started when Svensk Damtidning told that Madeleine has visited Estelle's school Campus Manilla because she and Chris are interested in a school place for Leonore. And because there was made a big renovation at the family's apartment at the Royal Mews.

Margareta Thorgren is now responding to rumors about Madeleine's future in Sweden. According to her, the family has no plans to move to Sweden at the moment.
"They live in Florida now and will continue to do so", Margareta Thorgren wrote in a message to Hänt.
Hovets svar om prinsessan Madeleines flytt till Sverige _ Hänt

Last edited:
(..)

Let's not make more of this than what is probably really happening. Kids are starting schools ... Florida is getting crazier by the minute ... she misses her family. Period!

I’m sure it will be nice to be closer to her family, but I have to say I’m a bit surprised simply for the fact that I didn’t think Chris wanted to move to Sweden permanently. They did a few extended stays there and the younger two were born in Sweden but they always left for somewhere else (NYC, London, Miami),

I’m sure it will be nice to be closer to her family, but I have to say I’m a bit surprised simply for the fact that I didn’t think Chris wanted to move to Sweden permanently.

The official Swedish press release (posted here) qualified the planned residence in Sweden as "for the time being" (which is probably the best translation, but the Swedish term used is sometimes translated into English as "temporarily"), so if the press release can be trusted, it is not yet a permanent move.

(..)

My first thought when I heard the news was "Is his businesses going that badly?". The house in Florida isn't cheap. They won't live for free in Sweden either, but I guess that their living expenses will be much cheaper due to the changing living situations. Add to that no school fees, free health care and other perks.

That was my first thought too.

Madeleine doesn't pay any rent for the apartment at the Royal Stables.
"For members of the so-called Royal House, the rent is even zero SEK.
- Princess Madeleine has an apartment that she disposes of when she is in Stockholm. She pays no rent for it, says the director of the information department Margareta Thorgren."
Kunglig gräddfil till attraktiva bostäder - Reporter Mikael Bergling

That was my first thought too.

Madeleine doesn't pay any rent for the apartment at the Royal Stables.
"For members of the so-called Royal House, the rent is even zero SEK.
- Princess Madeleine has an apartment that she disposes of when she is in Stockholm. She pays no rent for it, says the director of the information department Margareta Thorgren."
Kunglig gräddfil till attraktiva bostäder - Reporter Mikael Bergling

Sounds to me like the most probable explanation. There have been rumours about Chris' business not going too well, and as far as I know he doesn't have a very wealthy family in the background to help him out if he is in financial difficulties (such as Andrew). That might be a reason for them to move back to Sweden. The court would never ever tell the real truth about the move.
That house in Florida looks gorgeous, but also very expensive. It is on sale for more than 7 millions, and they are moving to the Stockholm Stables?
That makes me think about their financial situation. Chris I always had the impression was not too happy in Sweden, I cannot imagine that he is moving back there because of "being closer to her family", or "raising the kids in Sweden" etc.
We will see what happens, but it is a fact for much speculation.

Sounds to me like the most probable explanation. There have been rumours about Chris' business not going too well, and as far as I know he doesn't have a very wealthy family in the background to help him out if he is in financial difficulties (such as Andrew). That might be a reason for them to move back to Sweden. The court would never ever tell the real truth about the move.
That house in Florida looks gorgeous, but also very expensive. It is on sale for more than 7 millions, and they are moving to the Stockholm Stables?
That makes me think about their financial situation. Chris I always had the impression was not too happy in Sweden, I cannot imagine that he is moving back there because of "being closer to her family", or "raising the kids in Sweden" etc.
We will see what happens, but it is a fact for much speculation.

I haven't followed them as closely since they've been in Florida, but I feel like rumors of Chris's business not doing well or Chris and Madeleine living beyond their means have persisted for years now. Basically every time they took their extended stays in Sweden rumors were cropping up that things weren't great financially.

I have always thought that if it were up to Madeleine they would have been permanently in Sweden from the beginning, I just got the sense that it was Chris who wasn't keen on living there and wanted to base his business and family in the US, that's why they were only in Sweden on a temporary basis for a few months at a time before moving elsewhere. In pictures of him from official events in Sweden that have been released, he usually looks like he'd rather be just about anywhere else so I also don't get the sense that he's particularly happy there or enjoys the royal spotlight. It'll be interesting to see if this is indeed a permanent move or if it's just for a few months or a year and then they're back somewhere in the US.

I haven't followed them as closely since they've been in Florida, but I feel like rumors of Chris's business not doing well or Chris and Madeleine living beyond their means have persisted for years now. Basically every time they took their extended stays in Sweden rumors were cropping up that things weren't great financially.

I have always thought that if it were up to Madeleine they would have been permanently in Sweden from the beginning, I just got the sense that it was Chris who wasn't keen on living there and wanted to base his business and family in the US, that's why they were only in Sweden on a temporary basis for a few months at a time before moving elsewhere. In pictures of him from official events in Sweden that have been released, he usually looks like he'd rather be just about anywhere else so I also don't get the sense that he's particularly happy there or enjoys the royal spotlight. It'll be interesting to see if this is indeed a permanent move or if it's just for a few months or a year and then they're back somewhere in the US.

They have the children to think off. Not good for them to keep moving and moving now. They have schools and social development and the like. He may not stay in Sweden…work wise…but everything is so much easier to do remotely now. Why was he in Sweden? He could commute to the UK easily enough. Everything is easy when you are rich.

(...)
Let's not make more of this than what is probably really happening. Kids are starting schools ... Florida is getting crazier by the minute ... she misses her family. Period!

The children aren't 'starting school'. Leonore turned 9 last month and Nicolas will turn 8 in June; it's only Adrienne who is reaching 'school age' (for some countries) by turning 6 tomorrow.

The eldest have been in school for several years now and I assume Adrienne has at least been in pre-school/kindergarten so far.

I thought of her parents right away. Her mother has not looked like herself for about a year. Always seems tired. And of course the King with his health scare.
(..)

Back
Top Bottom