Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 4,February 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royal Central states that Madeleine is set to return to Sweden ahead of her father's surgery on Monday. It makes sense for her to be nearby with her family when her father is getting heart surgery.

It would mean that she will not be with her daughter on her 9th birthday as the king's surgery is scheduled for the 20th, which is also Leonore's birthday.

Last edited:
It has been denied by the Royal Court apparently

https://www.hant.se/kungligt/prinsessan-madeleines-beslut-efter-kungens-insjuknande/9111012

When Hänt reaches the court with the question of whether Madeleine will now travel home in connection with the king's operation, they confirm that any trip is not part of the plans.

" Princess Madeleine does not plan to travel to Sweden due to the King's planned surgical intervention "

Madeleine thus has no plans to travel to Sweden in connection with the operation.

Last edited:
Royal Central should know enough to be careful when using Svensk Damtidning as a source.

Madeleine shared a photo of herself and the children in New York City today:

9 years later Leonore is back in NYC!

Princess Leonore was worn in New York City on February 20, 2014.

** instagram post **

Are they in the Central Park?

Yes, it looks like Central Park.

Madeleine telsl about her new patronage in her Instagram
"With pride and joy, I have agreed to become a patron of Millesgården - the museum with artists' residence, antique collection and sculpture park on Lidingö outside Stockholm. Millesgården is a peaceful place that I really enjoy visiting when I'm home in Sweden. Among Carl Milles' sculptures and rippling fountains, I find inspiration and joy."
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpK2vk7ozkv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Princess Madeleine and her family have decided to move to Sweden

The Press release from the Court says that:
H.K.H. Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill and family are moving home to Stockholm in August of 2023. Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill have decided that the family will for the time being reside in Sweden. Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas will start school in Stockholm in the autumn. Princess Adrienne will go to preschool. With the move, the Princess family will settle in their flat H.M. The King's Mews in Stockholm.

https://www.kungahuset.se/arkiv/pre...san-madeleine-med-familj-flyttar-till-sverige

According to Aftonbladet their house in Miami has been listed for $7,65. Margareta Thorgren tells both Aftonbladet and Expressen that Madeleine and Chris are happy to be able give their children a Swedish upbringing and that they will remain in Sweden for now.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/kungligt...ine-och-chris-oneill-flyttar-hem-till-sverige

https://www.expressen.se/noje/kungligt/prinsessan-madeleine-flyttar-hem-igen/

Last edited:
Good news! It will be good for Princess Madeleine and her children to be closer to their family.

It will be nice to have them back in Sweden for the King's Golden Jubilee Year :previous:

This really surprises me, I thought Princess Madeleine really enjoyed living in Florida and having a quiet life there. Sweden will be quite a change, maybe Princess Madeleine missed her home.
I wish them all the happiness in the world on this move.

Princess Madeleine and her family have decided to move to Sweden

The Press release from the Court says that:
H.K.H. Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill and family are moving home to Stockholm in August of 2023. Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill have decided that the family will for the time being reside in Sweden. Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas will start school in Stockholm in the autumn. Princess Adrienne will go to preschool. With the move, the Princess family will settle in their flat H.M. The King's Mews in Stockholm.

https://www.kungahuset.se/arkiv/pre...san-madeleine-med-familj-flyttar-till-sverige

According to Aftonbladet their house in Miami has been listed for $7,65. Margareta Thorgren tells both Aftonbladet and Expressen that Madeleine and Chris are happy to be able give their children a Swedish upbringing and that they will remain in Sweden for now.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/kungligt...ine-och-chris-oneill-flyttar-hem-till-sverige

https://www.expressen.se/noje/kungligt/prinsessan-madeleine-flyttar-hem-igen/

A question to you and other Swedish speakers: What is your interpretation of the press release in regard to how likely or for how long the couple's stay in Sweden might last? I noticed that you translated "tills vidare" as "for the time being" and the royal court translated it as "indefinitely", which is a bit stronger.

https://www.kungahuset.se/english/a...madeleine-relocates-to-sweden-with-her-family

Princess Madeleine relocates to Sweden with her family

HRH Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O’Neill, together with their children, will move to Stockholm in August 2023.

Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O’Neill have decided that their family shall relocate to Sweden indefinitely.

Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas will begin elementary school in Stockholm in the autumn. Princess Adrienne will start preschool.

The family will take up permanent residence in an apartment at the Royal Stables in Stockholm.

This really surprises me, I thought Princess Madeleine really enjoyed living in Florida and having a quiet life there.

From my point of view, the interviews given by the couple throughout the first few years of the marriage (translations can be found in the older threads here) were fairly forthright to the effect that, although each of them had an appreciation for the other's homeland(s), Princess Madeleine's first choice would have been to make their permanent home in Sweden whereas Chris O'Neill's first choice would have been to make their permanent home in the United Kingdom or United States.

My guess is that their differing preferences have contributed to the couple's frequent moves.

(..)

A question to you and other Swedish speakers: What is your interpretation of the press release in regard to how likely or for how long the couple's stay in Sweden might last? I noticed that you translated "tills vidare" as "for the time being" and the royal court translated it as "indefinitely", which is a bit stronger.
That's interesting. I translated the statement by myself before I read the statement in English since the Court is usually a bit slow with offering the latter. I agree with you about the quite significant difference of meaning.
From my point of view, the interviews given by the couple throughout the first few years of the marriage (translations can be found in the older threads here) were fairly forthright to the effect that, although each of them had an appreciation for the other's homeland(s), Princess Madeleine's first choice would have been to make their permanent home in Sweden whereas Chris O'Neill's first choice would have been to make their permanent home in the United Kingdom or United States.

My guess is that their differing preferences have contributed to the couple's frequent moves.
From what we've heard one of the big reasons that Chris couldn't settle himself in Sweden the last time they lived here was because he couldn't handle the attention from both the press and the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it quiet surprising. Could it have something to with the rule in the succession law that hose in the line of succession have to be brought up in the realm?

That's interesting. I translated the statement by myself before I read the statement in English since the Court is usually a bit slow with offering the latter. I agree with you about the quite significant difference of meaning.

In addition, the Court translated "bosätter sig" as "take up permanent residence". Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Swedish wording necessarily means permanency. If the couple intended to move to Sweden permanently, would they not have secured a house of their own there (comparable to Villa Solbacken, where Prince Carl Philip resides, or Villa Parkudden, which was earmarked for Princess Madeleine when she was engaged to Jonas Bergström) instead of taking up permanent residence in Princess Madeleine's old bachelorette pad?

I find it quiet surprising. Could it have something to with the rule in the succession law that hose in the line of succession have to be brought up in the realm?

Margareta Thorgren, according to the posted articles, explained the decision to Expressen as "They are keen on the children receiving a Swedish upbringing at the moment" and to Aftonbladet as "Part of the decision is that the children should receive a Swedish upbringing". Not especially enlightening.

I wonder why the move was announced so early given that it is planned for August. Perhaps the listing of the Florida home on realtor.com (see the Aftonbladet article) would have raised questions anyway.

In addition, the Court translated "bosätter sig" as "take up permanent residence". Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Swedish wording necessarily means permanency. If the couple intended to move to Sweden permanently, would they not have secured a house of their own there (comparable to Villa Solbacken, where Prince Carl Philip resides, or Villa Parkudden, which was earmarked for Princess Madeleine when she was engaged to Jonas Bergström) instead of taking up permanent residence in Princess Madeleine's old bachelorette pad?

Margareta Thorgren, according to the posted articles, explained the decision to Expressen as "They are keen on the children receiving a Swedish upbringing at the moment" and to Aftonbladet as "Part of the decision is that the children should receive a Swedish upbringing". Not especially enlightening.

I wonder why the move was announced so early given that it is planned for August. Perhaps the listing of the Florida home on realtor.com (see the Aftonbladet article) would have raised questions anyway.
It could be that they're waiting for some more suitable housing to become available. I'd place my bets on a house at Djurgården or in the Haga or Ulricedal parks for them in the future. I don't remember how big the flat at the mews are, but it's definitely a downgrade from their Florida house.

My friend Sarah from ufonomore.com helped me find a link to the listing.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6330-SW-107th-St-Pinecrest-FL-33156/44024911_zpid/

Last edited:
It's a huge change to move from a huge house with seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms, big own pool, barbecue area to the house in the Royal Stables, which after its big renovation has seven rooms according to the swedish press (and a kitchen I think).
They paid $3,055,000 of the house when they bought it and now it is listed with $7,650,000.

Yes, I think also other people than I have regularly followed what is happening with the O'Neill's house in Pinecrest.

Margareta Thorgren said to Svensk Damtidning that the move will not affect Chris' work.
- No, it does not. He has continued his work both in Europe and also in the USA.
Hovets svar_ Så påverkas Chris jobb efter Madeleines chockbesked _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
I suppose that with that sum they can afford to buy a nice property in Sweden too?

The King and Queen must be thrilled to have their grandchildren (and daughter) closer by.

Thanks for posting a link to the property JR. Is this the present decoration? The interior designer/ the couple do not seem to favour the excellent & clean Scandinavian design. Perhaps it is difficult to come across in Florida. This doesn't look very tasteful.

Last edited:
I suppose that with that sum they can afford to buy a nice property in Sweden too?

The King and Queen must be thrilled to have their grandchildren (and daughter) closer by.

Thanks for posting a link to the property JR. Is this the present decoration? The interior designer/ the couple do not seem to favour the excellent & clean Scandinavian design. Perhaps it is difficult to come across in Florida. This doesn't look very tasteful.

I doubt that there will be a need for them to buy anything. The Court has enough properties to be able to house them appropriately.

I don't like their style of decorating either, but isn't it likely that the house has been staged before being put on the market? There are no personal details, not even any older pieces of furniture that I'm certain the family must have. It's more like an add for Zara Home.
Given the high interest surrounding the few photos we've seen of their home before it wouldn't surprise me if Madeleine and Chris wanted to keep their things private. Also any antiques visible could be a literal invitation for another burglary.

:previous:

I didn't even think of that. But the interior looks indeed so generic, bland and devoid of personality that they may have done that indeed. It makes sense and happens in many houses in the upper segment.

As for using one of the royal properties: could be done indeed. Chris doesn't strike me as the type who wants (or needs) to be dependent on his in-laws and real estate nearly always is a sound investment, though I am not sure how inflated the prices are near Stockholm at the moment.

In terms of public criticism I am not sure what would create more negative comments: converting a royal property or buying an expensive villa of many million crowns. I imagine the latter.

Considering the recent discussion in the UK I can imagine they would prefer to have a place of their own. Of course these royal properties tend to be on a lovely location and with a great deal of privacy. As they will be using her apartment now they will have ample time to look for a nice property. We will see.

Last edited:
Will Christopher have to travel often to the United States to conduct business transactions?

I doubt that there will be a need for them to buy anything. The Court has enough properties to be able to house them appropriately.

I don't like their style of decorating either, but isn't it likely that the house has been staged before being put on the market? There are no personal details, not even any older pieces of furniture that I'm certain the family must have. It's more like an add for Zara Home.
Given the high interest surrounding the few photos we've seen of their home before it wouldn't surprise me if Madeleine and Chris wanted to keep their things private. Also any antiques visible could be a literal invitation for another burglary.

Barely a hint of children either. They must exceptionally unsticky handed children if they have that colour palette or diligent cleaners!

:previous:

I didn't even think of that. But the interior looks indeed so generic, bland and devoid of personality that they may have done that indeed. It makes sense and happens in many houses in the upper segment.

As for using one of the royal properties: could be done indeed. Chris doesn't strike me as the type who wants (or needs) to be dependent on his in-laws and real estate nearly always is a sound investment, though I am not sure how inflated the prices are near Stockholm at the moment.

In terms of public criticism I am not sure what would create more negative comments: converting a royal property or buying an expensive villa of many million crowns. I imagine the latter.

Considering the recent discussion in the UK I can imagine they would prefer to have a place of their own. Of course these royal properties tend to be on a lovely location and with a great deal of privacy. As they will be using her apartment now they will have ample time to look for a nice property. We will see.

If Madeleine and Chris buy anything the public will get a little more insight into their private finances.
Regarding criticism there will be headlines surrounding their future home whatever choice they make, but if I were them and had the choice between the lease of a topnotch property or having to buy one I'd choose to first option.
If they buy anything we'll get headlines about the millions they have to throw around and if they rent anything we'll get a rehash of all the articles surrounding the Royal Domain (or whatever it's called in English) with the usual rumblings from republicans.

For instance,this photo/portrait
https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/...85bf61-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp
was also at Madeleine and Chris's previous house in Pinecrest, when it was sold:
https://stoppapressarna.se/wp-conte.../uploads/2021/12/madde_lyxhem_stor45.jpg.webp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom