2012 Olympic Games in London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see why the torch is going to Dublin. The people of the Republic of Ireland aren't helping to pay for the cost of the games so why should the torch go there?

The Olympic Games is hardly an occasion to promote the separation between our countries, the torch will be in Dublin for about 4 hours then return to Newry.

The Olympic torch often travels to foreign countries on its way to its new destination. The whole point of the Olympics is to bring countries together in a peaceful manner.

The map doesn't show it going to Dublin.

Last edited:
I know several people in the Republic of Ireland and they were desperately hoping that London would fail to win the right to host the Games, much like they desperately hope for British athletes to fail. I happened to be listening to RTE radio when Andy Murray was playing in the semi final of the Australian Open and the presenter said "great news from Australia, Britain's Andy Murray has been knocked out of the Australian Open by Novak Djokovic. What a relief that is".

Seems odd that they would send the torch in Dublin given that's the case.

That's mainly an insult to Andy Murray as he's Scottish, that country more than anything should recognise that he plays as a Scot rather than a Brit. There's the saying that when he's winning he's British, when he's losing he's Scottish.

It is clear that the ROI dislike the British, but that should not stop them from participating in such a wonderful event like the Olympic Games. It will probably be the only time the torch will pass through their country, unless by some chance miracle they hold the games in their own right.

I don't the kit at all. Why change the flag just to be trend? :bang:

That's just ridiculous. Why would you "change" your own national flag?
Very unfortunate timing too, given the debate about Scotland's independence.

Don't even see why Stella McCartney has designed the kit, or the tracksuits for the torch bearers.

As for the Scottish independence bit Artemisia, the flag looks more like the Scottish one than the Union Jack. It is after all blue with a white cross.

I agree. There's no way the queen would be in a movie herself. She follows her mum's approach- need to keep some mystique! Happy April fools...

Well, if indeed it is true, as a poster said on a blog, nothing says world unity and peace like having a fictional assassin open the Games...;)

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to our opening ceremony. Like most Brits, I expect it to be rubbish while deep down hoping that it'll be ok.

The Olympic flame has arrived at RNSA Culdrose. 70 days until the opening ceremony!

Apparently the Bond thing is not an April fools prank. Supposedly, Daniel Craig has been to Buckingham Palace to film some scenes for the opening ceremony. There's speculation that the Queen will knight 'Bond' and give him a mission to open the games.

There are also rumours that the Queen will be helicoptered into the Opening Ceremony and 'Bond' would play some sort of role in that.

James Bond 'to be knighted by Queen' for Olympics - Telegraph

Oh yeah I heard that a few days after the initial stories ran. I find it a bit tacky but predictable of this Olympics, relying on a story to bring in the crowd.

I'm just hoping, that if this is actually happening, it's not as naff as it sounds. I think using HM in a way that people won't expect is a nice idea, but it has to be done really carefully.

EIIR said:
I'm just hoping, that if this is actually happening, it's not as naff as it sounds. I think using HM in a way that people won't expect is a nice idea, but it has to be done really carefully.

I doubt that The Queen would allow herself to be used in a bad light. I am sure it will be well done or it will never happen.

I would have gone with Paul Bettany, as Chaucer, as the host and do themes like King Arthur and jousting, Robin Hood and Shakespeare.

I didn't know Paul McCartney was closing the opening Ceremony.

I didn't know Paul McCartney was closing the opening Ceremony.

First I've heard that too. Wouldn't it be great if he decided to do tribute to John Lennon and sang "Imagine"? I think that would be so appropriate for the closing ceremonies. :cool:

Osipi said:
First I've heard that too. Wouldn't it be great if he decided to do tribute to John Lennon and sang "Imagine"? I think that would be so appropriate for the closing ceremonies. :cool:

Apparently he confirmed in June :)

Apparently he confirmed in June :)

I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing him. Makes me wonder if part of the show for the closing ceremony is going to be around the "British Invasion" of the early 60s. Come to think of it, that's when I really started getting hooked on all things British :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom