Prince William Named Prince of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So in 10-20+ years, when Prince George gets married, he and his newly wedded wife will get a completely new title?
They will not be the next Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?

When William becomes King, the Duke of Cambridge title will merge with the Crown and George will automatically become the Duke of Cornwall. The King may create him Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester as well. If George is not married by then, he is unlikely to be given further titles upon marriage. This is what happened in the case of Prince Charles.

If William is not King by the time George marries, George is likely to receive another ducal title. This is what happened with Prince William.

So in 10-20+ years, when Prince George gets married, he and his newly wedded wife will get a completely new title?

The only way Prince George would be the Duke of Cambridge is if Prince William dies before the King. But even then, it's likely that he would be made Prince of Wales at some point. This is what happened to the future George III in 1751; his father was the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Edinburgh, among other things, and when he died, young George became Duke of Edinburgh immediately and then Prince of Wales a month later.

When William becomes King, the Duke of Cambridge title will merge with the Crown and George will automatically become the Duke of Cornwall. The King may create him Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester as well. If George is not married by then, he is unlikely to be given further titles upon marriage. This is what happened in the case of Prince Charles.

If William is not King by the time George marries, George is likely to receive another ducal title. This is what happened with Prince William.

Yes indeed, we see that the titles of the 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich have now merged within the Crown. At the moment there is no Duke of Edinburgh anymore (and so free to make Edward the 1st Duke of Edinburgh of a new creation, aside of his titles Earl of Wessex and Forfar, Viscount Severn).

If that happens and James will not be known as HRH Prince James of Edinburgh, he will be known as Lord James Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Wessex and Forfar (his father's subsidiary titles).

I think the children will become "of Wales" when William is invested as the Prince of Wales. I don't know if the kids will use it, or just keep Cambridge as their "casual" school name.

(I could be wrong, but I think the kids use Cambridge as a surname in school. William and Harry used Wales in school. They could be using Mountbatten-Windsor, though both Harry, William and the York Princesses used their father's peerage designation as a surname).

Legally on paper the registration of the paperwork for Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis would be Mountbatten-Windsor. They use Cambridge in school. Cambridge was from their father's title of The Duke of Cambridge.

That would depend.

If Charles is King and William is thus still Duke of Cambridge even though he would probably be using Prince of Wales then yes George would get a new title.

If William is King then George will already be Duke of Cornwall and so no new title would be given. He may also be already Prince of Wales

Of course if he is already King then he would also not get any new title as he would simply remain The King.

When William got married I read that he didn’t want a ducal title.

Could it be a possibility that he decides to not give his children ducal titles when the get married?

How would they be called and their partners before and after William becomes king?

Could it be a possibility that he decides to not give his children ducal titles when the get married?

How would they be called and their partners before and after William becomes king?

there were stories but im sure they were nonsnese. Why wuold Willliam not want a ducal title?

They are now HRH Prince/Princess [xxx] of Cornwall and Cambridge.

If William is created Prince of Wales by King Charles III, then they become HRH Prince/Princess [xxx] of Wales.

If/When William becomes King, George automatically becomes HRH The Duke of Cornwall and may later become HRH The Prince of Wales if his father decides so. Charlotte and Louis become simply HRH The Princess Charlotte and HRH The Prince Louis, but, after Princess Anne passes away and when William is King, Charlotte will likely become HRH The Princess Royal. Louis, on the other hand, may be given a dukedom when he gets married and then he will become HRH The Duke of [xxx].

If George is given a dukedom during Charles III's reign, then upon William's accession, he will become HRH The Duke of Cornwall and [xxx].

Last edited:
They've just become Prince & Princess of Wales - announced by The King.

Nice surprise today. I thought that maybe he would wait until after his coronation to bestow that title. Regardless, I think he was recognizing William and Catherine's work and dedication with this announcement.

So much for our speculation how long it might take. I think it was the right decision, given the mood in the country. I would also treat it as a recognition to William and Catherine for all the good work they've been doing for so many years.

Does this mean that letters patent have already been issued?

I’m also very glad that this has been done so quickly. I think it’s an expression of the faith (and approval) that not only The King has in William and Catherine, but a sign of approval by Her (late) Majesty as I’m sure it was discussed at some point with her.

Last edited:
Yes, the children are now Princes and Princess of Wales - as of 1/4 hour ago! - although I suppose they'll stick to Cambridge for school because it would be confusing to change names after 2 days. I didn't expect William to be created Prince of Wales quite so soon, but I suppose there's no reason to wait.

So fast! So no official ceremony, just an announcement.

there's no need for a ceremony. Charles can just issue an LP... and its done. There might be a simple private investiture in hte next few months....I dont expect a ceremony per se

Titles of Prince William and Family

So much for our speculation how long it might take. I think it was the right decision, given the mood in the country. I would also treat it as a recognition to William and Catherine for all the good work they've been doing for so many years.

Agreed. I think it was the right decision to do it today. They’ve done a lot of good work and served faithfully. It shows his faith in them. And it will be a popular decision, as well.

It makes sense to just make all the title changes at once too.

Last edited:
Very swift and efficient of the new King.
The IG account allready changed.
Moderators here and Wikipedia editors can go back to work ;-)

:flowers: I feel bad for the mods- I think they worked very hard to redo all the threads with the new titles.

I would think there'll be some sort of investiture ceremony in Wales. But I certainly don't think we'll see the sort of ceremony held for Charles.

Slightly off-topic, but is there a chance that now that Catherine is Princess of Wales (as much as Diana was, I know the specifics of the correct styling) that journalists will stop always referring to her as Kate Middleton?

That was faster than expected but I’m glad! It’s a rightful nod to how much work they’ve done over the last several years. It’s also easier for the kids to switch last names now before the other pupils really know them so I bet they start going by Wales at school immediately.

Wow I was not expecting it to be so fast.

The King held the title of Prince of Wales for so long that I thought he would give it a few months just like King Edward VII did before granting the title to George and Mary.

But good that he did so. Finally, after so many years, we can have a Princess of Wales referred to by her title without ghosts from the past.

Maybe, maybe not. Possibly to journalist Diana is still their Prss of Wales?

First names make better headlines. Remember how they insisted to write about Duchess Kate, Duchess Camilla, Duchess Meghan? I assume that journalists will switch between Kate Middleton and Princess Kate.

I think it is right to create William as Prince of Wales right away. This is the time of change, and no reason to delay.

I would think there'll be some sort of investiture ceremony in Wales. But I certainly don't think we'll see the sort of ceremony held for Charles.

I agree. A religious service at Llandaff followed by a reception at the Seanned is my guess.

Slightly off-topic, but is there a chance that now that Catherine is Princess of Wales (as much as Diana was, I know the specifics of the correct styling) that journalists will stop always referring to her as Kate Middleton?
Short answer, no!:flowers:

And so after just more than 200 years there is a new Princess Charlotte of Wales.

Back
Top Bottom