The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
those were my guesses of they wanted him do or be in order to be credible as wru vice patron.

kpusa1981 said:
those were my guesses of they wanted him do or be in order to be credible as wru vice patron.
All they want him to do is turn up for the Welsh matches, As the WRU patron, he should have been there, not watching England! That would make him credible! :rolleyes:

Princess Anne is/was Patron of the SRU and always attended Scotland's matches, especially when they played England.

If she couldn't attend a Scotland match she didn't go and watch one of the other home countries play.

The Welsh are upset that William, their vice-patron chose to watch another of the home countries play and I don't blame them.

Had he not wanted to watch them play he should either have resigned as their vice-patron or not gone and watched the game he did.

If he takes on these positions then he must support them and be seen to support them.

Why couldn't he have taken Kate to the Welsh game, if he wanted a day out with her at the rugby?

The Welsh that he did attend was part of his offical duties.
We went to Wales vs Scotland as Vice Patron of WRU. They really expect to only go to Walsh games during the Six Nations on his own time I mean he is English. The game he attended this Sunday with Kate and his brother was in England.

kpusa1981 said:
I mean he is English. .

Isn't the Royal family considered to be "British" - I mean, while all other British citizens have the right to feel however they like, the RF must try to be the RF of all Britons, right? Otherwise that's water on the mill of all speratists, who want to abolish the monarchy and end the United Kingdom.

Jo of Palatine said:
Isn't the Royal family considered to be "British" - I mean, while all other British citizens have the right to feel however they like, the RF must try to be the RF of all Britons, right? Otherwise that's water on the mill of all speratists, who want to abolish the monarchy and end the United Kingdom.

That is part of the problem here - William was supporting the English team when the Welsh team, of which he is Vice-Patron was playing elsewhere.

The RF never hide their preference for the English sports teams, except Anne and her long time support of the Scottish teams.

In 2005 there were complaints in Australia that the Queen of Australia supported England in the Ashes and this is an ongoing problem.

It is just more noticeable in something like the Six Nations Rugby where the home countries play each other and the various royals clearly show a preference for England. This also happens in football (soccer to our US friends).

It is not possible to be British in these sports, most of the time, because there is no specific British team, except when the British Lions tour (the combined Rugby team from the home nations). When they compete in the World Cup later this year they will compete as England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland (made up of players from both the Republic and Northern Ireland by the way - so not British but Irish).

kpusa1981 said:

This is one of a handful of great examples of things not to envy about the royal family. Every little action - going to a rugby match, or not going -- is analyzed and the press will talk about the "controversies" being stirred up by showing too much favortism to a group or to one organization while ignoring other patronages. I would say that I wish the press would ease up and stop criticizing them so excessively, but they've been doing it so long, and part of me thinks it just goes with the territory. When you have such a position as representing entire groups, organizations, and a whole nation, you just have to be totally PC all the time, even in private because private discussions, as we have seen with Prince William among others, can and are leaked on occasion. I always wonder who the anonymous friends are in these articles, if they are the best friends like Guy Pelly or just sort of marginal members of the Highgrove set.

karla64 said:
Prince William at Wembley
The FA(Football Assoication) will be chief guest at the FA Cup Final on May 19th..

TheFA.com - Prince William at Wembley

Funny pic! Because Will is much taller than the others:) His mother also was very tall. I can remember that I was surprised when I saw her dresses in Kensington Palace. . . Does anyone know Diana's exact height? Or William's?

coco said:
Funny pic! Because Will is much taller than the others:) His mother also was very tall. I can remember that I was surprised when I saw her dresses in Kensington Palace. . . Does anyone know Diana's exact height? Or William's?

I've seen Diana's height as 5 feet 10 inches or possibly 11, she was taller than Charles.

Prince William was shown in the broadcast from Wembley Stadium a short time ago meeting the players and officials in the FA Cup Final.

William must have been thrilled to meet the players, he loves the game so much.

William looks like he is having the TIME OF HIS LIFE.

cowarth said:
William looks like he is having the TIME OF HIS LIFE.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. He appears to be happy, but I wouldn't say he's having "the time of his life".

Thanks for the pics from Wembley. I think it is great that William is continuing to take on more duties as he gets older.

The man looked quite bored. Perhaps he had other things on his mind.:)

William at the Millennium Stadium
Prince William (right) on his arrival at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, for the Wales v Australia Rugby World Cup match, met by (left to right) Jean Louis Barthes - France 2007 Organising Committee, Claude Atcher - Tournament Director RWC Organising Committee, Bob Tuckey - Director RWC Organising Committee, Bill Beaumont - Vice Chairman IRB & Director RWC OC, Roger Lewis - Group Chief Executive WRU, David Pickering - Chariman WRU and Glanmor Griffiths - President WRU, and (to the left of William) Lord Lieutenant of South Glamorgan Norman Lloyd-Edwards. PRESS ASOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Saturday September 15, 2007. Photo credit should read: Barry Batchelor/PA Wire

Polfoto

Prince William looks very handsome in this photo. http://i17.tinypic.com/66eol7l.jpg
I wish they had more pictures of his attendance, but I'm really happy that he went and supported Wales. As the Vice Patron, he should be visibly supportive, and that's exactly what he was. It was really good to see him present.

Prince William looks very handsome in this photo. http://i17.tinypic.com/66eol7l.jpg
I wish they had more pictures of his attendance, but I'm really happy that he went and supported Wales. As the Vice Patron, he should be visibly supportive, and that's exactly what he was. It was really good to see him present.

Prince william looks handsome in every photo

Oh, Ruffles, do we have another William fan among us? HaHa, don't worry, I'm a big fan too.

WRU and SARFU launch Prince William Cup

WRU Vice Royal Patron Prince William has kindly agreed to the establishment of a new trophy in his name to celebrate 100 years of history between the rugby nations of Wales and South Africa

The inaugural Prince William Cup match will take place in Cardiff on Saturday November 24th, the only rugby union Test match between two nations to take place in this Rugby World Cup year during the traditional November window. The Prince William Cup will next be competed for during the two-Test Wales tour to South Africa in June, and again when South Africa return to Cardiff next November for more Test match rugby.

Prince William will attend next month’s match at the Millennium Stadium

Prince William Cup tickets are hot property

Tickets for the Wales v South Africa Prince William Cup match were snapped up by fans within minutes of being offered for sale to the public at midday today

Prince William, who is the Vice Royal Patron of the Welsh Rugby Union, will attend the game at the Millennium Stadium and a series of events will be staged in and around the Stadium to celebrate the launch of the Prince William Cup.

Wonderful He can really help when he puts his mind to it he will make a fine King Hes got Charles Sense of Duty,and his mothers common touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom