The Duchess of Cambridge: Will she become more popular than Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mia_mae said:
The times are changing, the monarchy doesn't seem to be as popular as it was 30 years ago and that has nothing to do w/ Kate.

And about selling magazines. let us not forget what sells well these days [USA wise]: Kardashians, Sandra Bullock and her divorce , the ex-Playboy girl with her post-pregnancy bikini body, Teen Moms! argh....!:)

Yes, and seemingly less popularity for the monoarchy while not being because of Kate, will still effect her .....plus nowadays press love to build plp up and knock them down.....

Lol you're right about what sells in US and I doubt Kate will be as scandalous ....

Yes, and seemingly less popularity for the monoarchy while not being because of Kate, will still effect her .....plus nowadays press love to build plp up and knock them down.....

Lol you're right about what sells in US and I doubt Kate will be as scandalous ....

I don't think so either ;)

Press have expectations and demands and woo betide if they are not met. One day you're up in the sky and one misstep practically makes the press say 'who? Never heard of'.
Well, okay, not literally, but the media can be malicious.

At first when I saw this thread I thought how out of this world that Kate could ever out do Diana but, as the wedding gets closer and the stories keep coming. I have to re-think my first thoughts.. the question maybe be does Kate want to be more popular then Daina and that answer will be a sound NO ...but she might come very close in the end after all..
Kate Middleton’s See-Through Dress Worth $150,000 - TIME NewsFeed
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinat...tlight-with-a-tour-of-her-hometown--/138096/1

Last edited:
As long as she continues to be dignified, friendly and discreet, but allows people to see that she is in love with her husband and he with her, she will get positive press. And if she gets negative comments about things she personally likes and cares about, she won't mind as she does as she deems it right.

Diana was a very unhappy person who relied very much on the reactions of her environment and on her image to feel a bit better. I doubt Catherine is such a needy person, she strikes me rather as one who is able to reflect her life and her doings in the interaction with others and to achieve the reaction she personally wants from others. Catherine had years to come to terms with the life her future husband lives in and surely she has figured out where to find her place, her niche and her possibility to be a prvate person as well as a Royal princess. So she doesn't need to cater to the media.

:previous:
While I agree with everything you have said here.. the question is will she be more popular then Daina? IMO I am coming to the train of thought that she just might be... with out all the bad of course, as it is my opinion that she will handle herself and the press in a propper way just as you point out in your above statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure that she will be more popular because that is not in her hands, IMHO. I believe she wll do all she can to stay away from negative media response so that her popularity score will be a positive one, even if not a high one. But it's the decision of the editors to write her to the top of popularity and they'll do it even if she doesn't want it. Or they won't do it, but even then I don't think she will mind very much as long as she is seen as a valuable member of the RF.

One should not forget that her wedding will free her from many restrictions she as a semi-official Royal girlfriend had who did not want to attract unseeming public attention. As a Royal it is her right to attract attention and to do what she wants to do within different limits than the ones she faces now. So in my opnion we haven't any clue yet how the future princess will lead her life after the wedding, other than that she will still be well-mannered, dignified and nice. Well, attractive to boot...

Actually, that's not the only reason he gave. One of the reporters asked him why it took so long to propose -"The timing is right. We're both very, very happy, and I'm very glad that I have her." He also said that Kate was very special to him, and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. So, he may not have used the word 'love", but he did make it very clear that he loves her.

Hi Soapstar! Well timing is the only "reason" he gave as saying they are happy and he's glad to have her, etc. were more like a statement. Really none of those things he said actually answer the question as to why he waited so long.

I would find it much more believable if he didn't add these things as an afterthought. If you don't say love in you're engagement interview I would say it's just not what you mean because what more appropriate place?

He says they're happy, he says he's glad. To me it just smacks unfortunately of PC and PD's interview where the reporter asks: "and in love?" Diana says: "Of course!" and Charles says something like: "Yes... whatever "in love" means," and laughs. Years from now everybody will be quoting the "timing" comment as proof how PW didn't love her, etc.

If it's me and someone asks my husband to be why he's marrying me I would be horrified if his answer was "timing's right." I guess that doesn't bother KM/CM, but I didn't really suspect it would.

Soapstar wrote: I can't find the article but she supposedly worked a few places during her summers while at university...waitressing, I think. She of course worked for Jigsaw, and she's been working for her family for 3 or 4 years.

Ya, I looked up her time at Jigsaw, less than a year. Not even sure why she'd be hired as a fashion buyer, didn't she study art history, etc? I don't know what she does for her family business, I've never seen her doing anything, yet it could be behind the scenes work I guess? but I'm hoping her family actually did put her to work instead of just waiting for the ring to come in....

Soapstar wrote: Funny enough, female enrollment supposedly went up 40% during his 2nd year. :lol:

That is hilarious Soapstar! Thanks for the info you gave.

A lot of men don't talk about "love" and wouldn't use that word ever even though they deely love their spouse. William's main social contacts of the last years were courtiers and soldiers, neither group seems to me inclined to talk much about feelings.

Plus I think William didn't understand that the media wanted a declaration of love but thought he should answer the question.:whistling:I believe that after their split in 2007 the question for Catherine and William was not "if" but "when" and this is exactly the question of timing. William had finished his education and started working, he has three more years of relatively private life ahead of him and thus the timing is right to become more high profile as a Royal couple but still enough opportunities for being private and alone with Catherine. No man in his right mind prefers evenings tete-a-tete with his wife in an secluded farmhouse in far off Wales to a glitzy life in London when he does not love his wife and is as far removed from searching for other female companionship as possible.

Thus William loves her and needs no other entertainment in the hours he's not working than talking, laughing, hugging, (okay: shopping, cooking, eating, cleaning and finally sleeping) with his wife. What love could be any greater than that? In German we have a saying: "Sie sind sich selbst genug" which translates roughly to "They don't need anything and anyone else but being together alone." That's what I feel is the base of their relationship.

Hi Kataryn! William's main social contacts seem many, and varied to me. Soldiers can be very emotional and speak of love just as anyone else. I'm thinking that there is a lot of closeness and talk of being away from loved ones between soldiers. As well he has his brother, father, and the rest of his family.

As for answering the question: he didn't, he deflected it. If the question was as quoted above by Soapstar why he waited so long, saying its the right time does not actually answer that question. Seems to me he didn't know how (or didn't want to) answer it.

Of course the media would have loved to hear him actually say that he loved her or they were in love. So would most people. How could he not know that? He just chose not to say it or doesn't. He would not be the first person/royal to marry for other reasons. I just get tired of people claiming they are "obviously" in love. It is not obvious to me.

I don't quite get how the two splitting up lead to them knowing they should marry? They didn't even seem to get straight in the interview how many times they had broken up.

I'm really confused when you wrote no man in his right mind would want to spend time alone with his wife in Wales, thus he loves her and needs nothing else but her alone in wales?

Basically I do not think they will have much of a private life. If William is expecting Kate to sit around doing laundry and dishes I think he is very naive, and they will be off to a very rough start. So far she has experienced the waiting, but also the partying lifestyle, and probably has hopes of glamor to come. Mostly in photos I see her chatting and laughing with Harry rather than William so I don't get that they really crave to be alone.

The German quote is very nice, and would suit me, but I personally doubt would suit anyone like KM/CM unfortunately....

Kataryn
you have a very pretty username, and a very nice outlook on Prince William's relationship, for your sake, and others who seem to have faith in this couple, I hope it turns out to be true....

Hi Kataryn! William's main social contacts seem many, and varied to me. Soldiers can be very emotional and speak of love just as anyone else. I'm thinking that there is a lot of closeness and talk of being away from loved ones between soldiers. As well he has his brother, father, and the rest of his family.

As for answering the question: he didn't, he deflected it. If the question was as quoted above by Soapstar why he waited so long, saying its the right time does not actually answer that question. Seems to me he didn't know how (or didn't want to) answer it.

Actually to me it does answer that question. It's a matter of having a certain feeling. Not everything can be answered in an analytical/rational way.
Adding to that is my idea that he has every right not to answer, he is not obliged to answer every question thrown on his path.

Of course the media would have loved to hear him actually say that he loved her or they were in love. So would most people. How could he not know that? He just chose not to say it or doesn't. He would not be the first person/royal to marry for other reasons. I just get tired of people claiming they are "obviously" in love. It is not obvious to me.

That is your perception, like everyone else has his/her own.

I don't quite get how the two splitting up lead to them knowing they should marry? They didn't even seem to get straight in the interview how many times they had broken up.

Sometimes when you are apart from someone you love, the split itself makes you realize that that person is the one for you, the one you should be with. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", along those lines. Your last sentence makes it sound like they split up numerous times, not true. Only once.

I'm really confused when you wrote no man in his right mind would want to spend time alone with his wife in Wales, thus he loves her and needs nothing else but her alone in wales?

Basically I do not think they will have much of a private life. If William is expecting Kate to sit around doing laundry and dishes I think he is very naive, and they will be off to a very rough start. So far she has experienced the waiting, but also the partying lifestyle, and probably has hopes of glamor to come. Mostly in photos I see her chatting and laughing with Harry rather than William so I don't get that they really crave to be alone.

What photos are you talking about?

The German quote is very nice, and would suit me, but I personally doubt would suit anyone like KM/CM unfortunately....

Kataryn you have a very pretty username, and a very nice outlook on Prince William's relationship, for your sake, and others who seem to have faith in this couple, I hope it turns out to be true....

I propose that you just give it the benefit of the doubt.

Let's stick on topic...whether or not William loves Kate and vice versa really has NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread.

ETA: Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice. If members wish to continue such a discussion, please do so via PM.

Last edited:
Let's stick on topic...whether or not William loves Kate and vice versa really has NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread.

ETA: Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice. If members wish to continue such a discussion, please do so via PM.

I'm sorry, Zonk. You are right and I think it's good that you interfered. I guess I got carried away and felt I had to sort of "stick up" for them or him at least.:lol:

Whenever I'm posting again, I'll stick to the topic thread.

On topic: I think it's a question that can only really be answered in hindsight as they are two very different women and the times we live in are very different as well. Only the press behaves the same - mostly.

I believe that Diana had a certain amount of charisma like certain great people have. For example: Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Jackie Kennedy....

To me Kate doesn't have that. Most of the interest in her comes from her relationship with William. With Diana the interest in her started with her relationship with Charles but then it became about her. Due to her marital problems but also the fact that she really embraced charity work. She did after all have a unique way of connecting to people that I don't think that Kate has. ( I think that Harry has it though)

I do believe that the interest that was focused on Diana is probably not a good thing for the family. It certainly could drive a wedge between William and Kate. So Kate should really find a way to develop herself that is not like Diana. That role should be left to Harry who does a wonderful job.

No offense meant to this blogger but I am speechless- literally the examples were Kate MIGHT be using a designer Di used and their photos were kinda the same pose...... No proof she is 'becoming' Diana....

Not to mention, it's been reported that Pippa and her mother we spotted making a trip to Bruce Oldfield's not Kate herself, as is suggested by this blog. This is just another example of people seeing only what they want to see and drawing unnecessary parallels.

I hardily agree, it's a desperate attempt to write an article that will draw attention by combining Kate and Diana's names.:ermm:

The press want another Diana as she sold more copies. To me Kate has to distance herself from designers etc associated with Diana to avoid these sorts of stories and the press creating a Diana type situation. Kate already has Diana's ring and used, for the engagement photos a photographer heavily associated with Diana.

I hope she uses a designer who never made anything for Diana and does other things to clearly establish herself as different to her dead mother-in-law because if she doesn't then the press and the public will continually write and read the stories of how she is like Diana and rather than be HRH Princess William she will become simply a 'new Diana'.

I doubt there is a politician alive who would not kill to have the polling numbers of the Britsh monarch. The press always say people aren't interested and then we see huge crowds line the up for the Queen Mothers lying in state or surge down the Mall for the Golden Jubilee.

Personally I hope Catherine will be a popular and hardworking member of the BRF but that we never see Dimania like we saw in the 80's & in 1997 ever again. Not sure the monarchy could withstand that over press fed the top mania again.

Diana was in a unique situation

The BRF is about 1/2 a generation older than the other European royal families. She was the first newly minted princess in a long time, since Princess Grace really. (Queen Noor, Queen Silvia - but somehow queens are more serious and less romantic than princessess)

Kate comes after Maxima, Mette-Marit, Mary, Letzia etc, etc. She's not as novel. The public has also had a long time to get use to her. The white hot spotlight is different. Charles dated many women. Who will his princess be? Once she was introduced, everyone wanted to know about her. William wasn't like that. People weren't waiting to find out who he would marry, but when the wedding would happen.

I can see Kate being more like the Queen Mum. Beloved. Hopefully, she'll be around much longer than Diana was.

The press want another Diana as she sold more copies. To me Kate has to distance herself from designers etc associated with Diana to avoid these sorts of stories and the press creating a Diana type situation. Kate already has Diana's ring and used, for the engagement photos a photographer heavily associated with Diana.

I hope she uses a designer who never made anything for Diana and does other things to clearly establish herself as different to her dead mother-in-law because if she doesn't then the press and the public will continually write and read the stories of how she is like Diana and rather than be HRH Princess William she will become simply a 'new Diana'.

They do seem to feed into it in some ways. I personally have never seen the Diana comparisons but the media seems to leap on everything it comes across. I also don't think that the Diana/Kate stories will sell that well, but maybe the media feels that if they put Diana on or in the story, then people will be more interested in it. Which actually says more about how unpopular or undefined Kate is if she needs someone else to boost her up. I believe however that with time she will create her own image. I don't think she will ever reach a global status that Diana had but I believe that could be a good thing for Kate. Better to be who you really are then a poor copy of someone else.

kate middleton will never be more popular than diana.

They do seem to feed into it in some ways. I personally have never seen the Diana comparisons but the media seems to leap on everything it comes across. I also don't think that the Diana/Kate stories will sell that well, but maybe the media feels that if they put Diana on or in the story, then people will be more interested in it. Which actually says more about how unpopular or undefined Kate is if she needs someone else to boost her up. I believe however that with time she will create her own image. I don't think she will ever reach a global status that Diana had but I believe that could be a good thing for Kate. Better to be who you really are then a poor copy of someone else.
I dont know about the press, but there are some here on this forum who get absolutely in a twist that Diana comes into the conversation at all. Oh my god, not that ring! Oh my god, not the lover's knot tiara! Oh my god, that photographer was associated with Diana....and she wore blue! Oh my god, dont let the spencers have a role in the wedding, etc, etc. She was the groom's mother and he loved her and wants to have her included in the wedding. What's so wrong about that? Unless of course, one is part of the whitewash Diana from history brigade, in which case the motivation is obvious.

Then I'm guessing there will always be three in the marriage: William, Catherine and Diana. There is no way that Richard Kay will omit Diana from any article he writes during William and Catherine's marriage. :bang:

I think (until there is proof otherwise) there will only be 2 people in the William and Kate marriage.

That is William and Kate.

The only people brining Diana into their marriage are the press and the people who won't let Diana rest in peace.

The BRF is about 1/2 a generation older than the other European royal families. She was the first newly minted princess in a long time, since Princess Grace really. (Queen Noor, Queen Silvia - but somehow queens are more serious and less romantic than princessess)

Kate comes after Maxima, Mette-Marit, Mary, Letzia etc, etc. She's not as novel. The public has also had a long time to get use to her. The white hot spotlight is different. Charles dated many women. Who will his princess be? Once she was introduced, everyone wanted to know about her. William wasn't like that. People weren't waiting to find out who he would marry, but when the wedding would happen.

I can see Kate being more like the Queen Mum. Beloved. Hopefully, she'll be around much longer than Diana was.

Nice points. agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom