The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Guardian stated: The three names are popular choices recycled by the royal family.
King George I was originally George Louis.

And his grandson Frederick Prince of Wales was Frederick Louis (usually spelled Lewis).

The name shows up much more frequently in Prince Philip's family tree but it was used by the BRF for a brief time long before Philip entered the picture.

It's a name. Dated, but if they like it that's all that counts. Louis, Lord Mountbatten was never called by that name, but Dickie. I don't think he like it either.

I'll bet he wasn't! I'd say the King was christened George Ludwig in Hanover.

Georg Ludwig which is German for George Louis. His grandson Frederick Lewis was probably christened Friedrich Ludwig.

Maybe Kate and William have an agreement that he gets to name the boys and she gets to name the girls, which would explain why the "C.E." pattern for first & middle initials from Carole Elizabeth to Catherine Elizabeth to Charlotte Elizabeth was continued, with the added bonus of Charlotte being Pippa's middle name, and Elizabeth being the Queen's name. Maybe Diana was only tacked on because they used 3 names for George and wanted to have 3 for Charlotte also.

The truth is, none of us know what their discussion about this 3rd child's name was and there are infinite reasons why they chose the names they did. And, in thirty years, I daresay, we will still see the Middleton influence in all 3 kids, regardless of whether their names represent that side of their family.

Last edited:
What a wonderful name for the little prince! I love Louis, but I am on the camp he should have had his own name that he does not share with Georgie.

George probably thinks of it as an honour. To him his little brother was named after him. :lol:

Of course Louis is one of William's names. He would have been raised to understand what Louis Mountbatten meant to his family so why assume that just because he didn't meet him he doesn't know about him.

No one thinks that the children are being raised with no knowledge of Diana so why assume that a man who was so significant to Charles and Philip and even The Queen and whom William was named after had was not mentioned to William. He would very well know the influence of this man and what he meant to the family - after all he is named after him himself.

I agree that William certainly knows how much Lord Mountbatten meant to both Charles and Philip, but it doesn't mean that Louis is named for him (of course he could have been). I think it is more likely that if William and Kate were honoring anyone, it's Philip. Of course, William may really like his middle name and decided to give it to his son.

The queen did use some of her husband's family. But Philip's family was Greek royals on one side and former German royals on the other.

Charles (royal) Philip (dad) Arthur (royal) Louis (dad's side which is royal)
Anne (royal) Elizabeth (mom) Alice (grandmother) Louise (royal)
Andrew (grandfather) Albert (grandfather) Christian (royal) Edward (royal)
Edward (royal)Antony (uncle) Richard (queen's cousin) Louis (royal)

Isn't it Charles Philip Arthur George?

I didn't think Louis was one of the POW's names.

I thought all the Middleton kids were named after British royals; Catherine, Philippa, and James.

I am not quite sure of the "naming" habits of the BRF. Who was Anne named after or Andrew for that matter? I think they too use names they like, I mean look at the number of people querying as to whether Charles will take a different Regnal name because of the unfortunate status of his predecessors. Elizabeth and Philip probably didn't give it a moment's thought.

On the other hand, while middle names have been used to honour those like dad, grandfather, etc. I don't believe they have ever bestowed a Christian name the same as anyone still living, hence no 'Philip' which most people would have thought a natural. Then again, the British don't seem to go with Snr or Jnr so there is that as well.

Prince Phillip's second name is Andrew.

LaRae

I'm not sure that Prince Philip has a second name. It wasn't a custom in the Greek Orthodox Church to give more than one name to a baby at the time of his birth. I think the subject was discussed here a couple of years ago, but I can't remember which thread.

As to no names being given to BRF babies while another member of the family is alive, the Queen named her fourth child Edward at a time when her cousin Edward, Duke of Kent, was both alive and a great deal more prominent than he is now.

Last edited:
Philip’s father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark.

Yes, we know that. The question was whether Philip's second name was Andrew, (after his father.)

HM the Queen also repeated names with her 2 youngest children:

Andrew Albert Christian Edward
Edward Antony Richard Louis

I am surprised there doesn't seem to be reference to Kate's family in the boys' names unless I'm mistaken.

HM the Queen also repeated names with her 2 youngest children:

Andrew Albert Christian Edward
Edward Antony Richard Louis

I am surprised there doesn't seem to be reference to Kate's family in the boys' names unless I'm mistaken.

I was gonna say the same thing. I'll be brutally honest. I don't like the name Louis and it has to do with the french version. I kinda like the Spanish way but even so. I haven't liked any off the names the Cambridges have given their children. I find them to be very old fashioned, like Myrtle lol. When they kept reporting it was a "strong name" I looked at the Hanover names and automatically thought "Augustus". But I am very happy for them and very happy that their family is growing with healthy and beautiful children. I thought Charlotte was the last considering the Duchess suffers so much during her pregnancies.

Prince Phillip's second name is Andrew.

LaRae

I think the Queen Mother and the Late King named Anne. The only reason I think that is because they originally wanted to name Margaret Rose, Ann Margaret and the King George wasn't fond of it. Also, they had to give her a regal name just in case Charles didn't survive to be king. There was already Queen Mary and Princess Mary, 2 Elizabeths and way too many surviving family members with the name Victoria and I doubt they consider Matilda or Jane as regal names considering the history so I think Anne was the sole surviving name lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that Prince Philip has a second name. It wasn't a custom in the Greek Orthodox Church to give more than one name to a baby at the time of his birth. I think the subject was discussed here a couple of years ago, but I can't remember which thread.

As to no names being given to BRF babies while another member of the family is alive, the Queen named her fourth child Edward at a time when her cousin Edward, Duke of Kent, was both alive and a great deal more prominent than he is now.

He does.. Here it is in the original:

Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glücksburg Prince of Greece and Denmark

LaRae

He does.. Here it is in the original:

Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glücksburg Prince of Greece and Denmark

LaRae

I don't speak Greek but a number of my friends are Greek and they use the father's name as a patronymic - meaning 'son of Andrew/Andreas' and not Philip's own second name.

What this is therefore saying - if my Greek friends have it correct - Philip, son of Andrew of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glucksburg, Prince of Greece and Denmark.

Prince Andrew's Greek name was Andreas not Andreou.

Ah interesting!

Thanks!

LaRae

I don't speak Greek but a number of my friends are Greek and they use the father's name as a patronymic - meaning 'son of Andrew/Andreas' and not Philip's own second name.

What this is therefore saying - if my Greek friends have it correct - Philip, son of Andrew of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glucksburg, Prince of Greece and Denmark.

Prince Andrew's Greek name was Andreas not Andreou.

We see the same in Russia and other countries:

Anna Pavlovna Romanova (Anna, the daughter of Pavel Romanov)

Alexey Nicholaevich Romanov (Alexey, the son of Nicholas Romanov)

Maria Vladimirovna Romanova (Maria, the daughter of Vladimir Romanov)

Konstantinos Pavlos of Greece (Constantine, the son of Paul of Greece)

Philippos Andreas of Greece (Philip, the son of Andrew of Greece)

I seem to look at the names by how they flow when you say them out loud. For example, with Queen Elizabeth, there is a nice rhythm and flow from Elizabeth to Alexandra to Mary. The same with Charles and Anne. George's name flows fairly well. Charlotte's starts out ok but the Diana at the end seems choppy. Louis' name doesn't flow at all. It is just all chopped up. But, he isn't my child, so it isn't my decision.
They are naming a child not writing a sonnet.

Isn't it Charles Philip Arthur George?

I didn't think Louis was one of the POW's names.

Exactly. Prince Louis shares only 2 names with his grandfather (Arthur and Charles) as well as two with his father (Louis and Arthur).

I was gonna say the same thing. I'll be brutally honest. I don't like the name Louis and it has to do with the french version. I kinda like the Spanish way but even so. I haven't liked any off the names the Cambridges have given their children. I find them to be very old fashioned, like Myrtle lol.

There is one major opinion I have about their children that I will never discuss, but I do think 2/3 of the names they used are good. Unfortunately certain people in the BRF have to use the old dated names and seeing as how William and Kate essentially were forced to choose those types of names I think they chose some good ones. At least they steered away from stinkers like Charles, Anne, Mary, Margaret, Henry (sorry Harry) or Edward.

Last edited:
For me, it matters very little where all the names for a child come from and who they were. What is most important is that its *his* name and it is up to the little prince to spend a lifetime defining that name as his own.

Although I do think that the name "Louis" being shared between brothers in some way is a opportunity for a bond from the very beginning. Especially for an almost 5 year old to have something to "share" with his brother. I do think that the Cambridges are smart enough to help the bonding with the new sibling out in subtle ways. But then again, I don't know the parents at all. :D

There is one major opinion I have about their children that I will never discuss, but I do think 2/3 of the names they used are good. Unfortunately certain people in the BRF have to use the old dated names and seeing as how William and Kate essentially were forced to choose those types of names I think they chose some good ones. At least they steered away from stinkers like Charles, Anne, Mary, Margaret, Henry (sorry Harry) or Edward.

they were not likely to use names that were already in use.. like Charles, Anne, Henry etc.. but I can't see how using these names, which are good solid classic English and royal names are "stinkers!"....

There’s no way of knowing whether they felt somewhat forced to stay completely traditional or whether that fits their own inclinations anyway.

Looking at Kate’s family, they pick pretty traditional names too. Maybe she and William LIKE traditional names. There’s no doubt in my mind they must really like Louis. They used it twice. Charlotte is her own sister’s middle name. Elizabeth is hers and her mother’s.

Same things goes with how Kate dresses and how her children dresses. Fairly traditional, classic- though definitely with some experimenting here and there.

How do you know they were "forced" to use any names? All the names that they have given their children are currently popular in England/Wales (except Diana!) so none of them are "dated".

Some people here have very old-fashioned ideas. The British Royal Family has moved on from the old days when monarchs overruled family members over names. I'm sure advice may be offered, and if it is wise advice it will be taken, but William and Kate are sensible enough to know which names might be unsuitable for various reasons.

There’s no doubt in my mind they must really like Louis. They used it twice.

Case in point! They probably felt that Louis is too closely associated with the kings of France (18 of them!) to be appropriate as a first name for the heir. For a third child it is a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have Charles or the Queen visited their new grandson/great grandson yet?

Back
Top Bottom