General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue is being raised in a lot of different spheres.

For example, people have complained that the ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) displayed a blue and yellow logo on its social media feeds, but has never made similar gestures in support of, say, Syria, Yemen, the Rohingya crisis or the conflict in Eritrea. It has been pointed out by many people that Chelsea FC are facing sanctions because of Roman Abramovich's links to Putin, but that Newcastle United, now owned by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, are not facing sanctions over Saudi involvement in the war in Yemen. And the UK, France and various other countries have launched sponsorship programmes allowing people to host Ukrainian refugees in private homes, when nothing like this has been done for the Rohingya refugees, Syrian refugees, or refugees from any other conflict.

No-one is saying that this is OK. But I think it's rather unfair to criticise William and Catherine for it, as if it's somehow down to them that the situation in Ukraine is attracting more attention in the Western media and in the minds of the public than are other conflicts. I don't hear Joe Biden, Emmanuel Macron, Olaf Scholz or anyone else speaking out about Yemen either.

And Syria, and the Rohingya, and the Uyghurs… I take it you’re equally as concerned with the entire world’s response with those, and feel that people other than William and Catherine should be doing — not just saying — more?

Apologies for the late reply. Well, obviously? Was that not clear from my post? Palestine was just an example.

In said post (the part that you've conveniently cropped out :lol:), I also explicitly mention that I don't think W&C's statement was problematic so I'm not entirely sure what your point is?

Driving along a main road, I noticed that various places, including the fire station and a pub, were flying Ukrainian flags. Popping into a cafe for a cup of tea yesterday, I noticed that a raffle of a bouquet of blue and yellow flowers was being held, in order to raise money for Ukrainian refugees. No, this has never happened with Yemen or Syria, nor with the Kurdish refugees, nor the Rohingya refugees. I don't even remember it happening during the Balkan Wars of the 1990s, so it can't even be explained as European conflicts attracting more attention than those elsewhere. The war in Ukraine has, for various reasons, captured public attention more than other conflicts across the world. William and Catherine are part of that public attention, but they aren't creating it.

I’d like to share a little perspective on this. How wonderful that she has completed her treatments and is free of cancer. She’s a fighter, and medical science played its part. But I think Kate played a part too.
I had lots of medical challenges growing up. We all in that situation tend to pick a person to inspire and distract us. Sometimes that person is in the public eye. Not always, but sometimes.When we get to spend time with that person, it’s a before and after day. The memories give us strength to keep going.

The impact of human compassion and kindness cannot ever be mentioned too much and those that are in the public eye and use their public platform to mete out as much human compassion and kindness are the extra special bonuses our world has.

Catherine and her steadfast focus on young children and their well being has been a remarkably strong connection that has supported, inspired and helped so many children that it's hard not to notice.

The impact of human compassion and kindness cannot ever be mentioned too much and those that are in the public eye and use their public platform to mete out as much human compassion and kindness are the extra special bonuses our world has.

Catherine and her steadfast focus on young children and their well being has been a remarkably strong connection that has supported, inspired and helped so many children that it's hard not to notice.

She’s one of those people who you become aware of because of what she does, but then notice because of who she is. There’s nothing fake about her. Doesn’t seem so anyway.

I agree about those added bonuses in the public eye. I think I know as well as anyone. ;)

If the Cambridges were considering moving to Windsor, wherever they moved would have to be renovated and made both safe and comfortable for a young family. Even if they moved into a wing of the castle itself, the last young family that lived there was a considerable time ago, when Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward were children. Renovation is part of living in historic homes.

:previous: If that isn't the sweetest video and story of Mila Sneddon's visit with the Duchess of Cambridge. Mila's little twirl to show off her dress for the Duchess was beyond adorable!

The Royal Family, more specifically The Duchess of Cambridge (Patron of All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club) is somehow dragged into the Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian and Belarusian according to two Telegraph articles. This comes after All England Club and the Committee of Management of The Championships (organiser of Wimbledon) and Lawn Tennis Association made announcement to decline entries from Russian and Belarusian players. These events include Wimbledon, Eastbourne International and Queen's Club Championships.

Apparently, the fears of Russian or Belarusian player (more specifically Daniil Medvedev) winning Wimbledon at Centre Court and trophy presentation alongside the Royal Family members was one of the consideration in deciding the ban. Last year, The Duchess of Cambridge was presenting trophies for Ladies and Gentlemen's singles Champions (Ash Barty and Novak Djokovic).

Fears over the prospect of Daniil Medvedev winning Wimbledon and parading one of sport’s most prestigious trophies on Centre Court alongside members of the Royal family has been a prominent consideration in the decision to ban Russian players from this year’s Championships.

The presentation often involves members of the Royal family and this year is also the centenary anniversary of the Centre Court. After last year’s final, the Duchess of Cambridge, who is the royal patron of the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, watched Novak Djokovic triumph on Centre Court from the Royal box and congratulated the Serbian as he received the trophy.

Royal family fears prompt Wimbledon's decision to ban Daniil Medvedev and Russian players
All England Club to become first tennis organisation to issue blanket ban on individuals regardless of whether they have denounced the war
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2022/04/20/wimbledon-ban-daniil-medvedev-russian-players/
Archived link: https://archive.ph/Wo24y

Tennis is not simply a public relations opportunity for the Duchess, but a genuine passion, which is one of the reasons Wimbledon banned Russian and Belarusian players from this summer's tournament. The prospect of embarrassing the All England Club's patron - given her emotional investment in the sport - by asking her to hand the men's singles trophy to Daniil Medvedev was simply too much to bear.

(...)

Kate neither has nor seeks any say in how Wimbledon is run, but even the merest possibility that she could be seen as endorsing the Russian regime was enough for the club's chiefs to take the nuclear option and ban some of the world's leading players.
Ultimately, the club has decided that keeping strong relations with the Duchess - and future Queen - is more important than any short-term hits they sustain from banning Medvedev and his compatriots.

The Duchess of Cambridge is the prize asset Wimbledon cannot afford to lose
All England Club has decided keeping strong relations with its patron is more important than any short-term hits they sustain for Russia ban
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/...ton-prize-asset-wimbledon-cannot-afford-lose/
Archive link: https://archive.ph/raeKZ

Optics are a potent guiding force for any sport grappling with a crisis far larger than itself. And for the All England Club, the mental image of their patron, the Duchess of Cambridge, handing out Wimbledon’s golden Challenge Cup to Daniil Medvedev became simply too distasteful to bear. Traditionally, the Championships have been a stubbornly apolitical realm. That was until a possibility emerged that the future Queen could mark the centenary of Centre Court by glorifying a Russian player whose country is waging a war of annihilation against a sovereign neighbour. It was not merely unpalatable, but unthinkable.

Comment: By banning Daniil Medvedev Wimbledon has exposed its double standards
The tournament risks setting a precedent impossible to maintain after playing its part in making Russia an international pariah
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/...vedev-wimbledon-has-exposed-double-standards/
Archived link: https://archive.ph/xxyLK

I hope this is just speculation to provoke outrage towards the Royal Family, who have been attacked/targeted on social media. It could have been someone in the All England Club committee alerting about the optics or awkwardness between the winner and The Duchess of Cambridge during the trophy ceremony if Russian or Belarusian tennis players won. The Duchess of Cambridge probably had no say in the Wimbledon's decision, but somehow she was dragged into it by being the patron and presenter of the trophy.

I'm surprised that The Telegraph is releasing this story portraying the narrative that The Royal Family is weighing into this Wimbledon controversy and possibly the politics behind the banning decision. Normally I would expect this kind of article from The Guardian and The Independent who are mostly republicans (anti-monarchist) and have previously criticised The Royal Family for involving in politics or contentious topics.

Last edited:
:previous: I hope it's not true. It's one thing to do away with bowing and curtsying.

But to be greeted by their first names? Why not abolish their titles and move into "regular" homes since there will be nothing to separate them from the average Bill and Kate on the street?

In their zeal for reform they could end up throwing out the baby with the bathwater.:ermm:

:previous: I hope it's not true. It's one thing to do away with bowing and curtsying.

But to be greeted by their first names? Why not abolish their titles and move into "regular" homes since there will be nothing to separate them from the average Bill and Kate on the street?

In their zeal for reform they could end up throwing out the baby with the bathwater.:ermm:

Calling them by their first names to appear to be more common is, IMO, adding salt to a wound, especially when they live in such a privileged manner that the ordinary person will never see or have. Somehow continental European Royal Houses have managed to modernise with great success, yet the BRF seem to not grasp how to bring the Royal Institution into the 21st Century.

If, and this is a BIG if, the article rings some truth, I hope William and Catherine rethink this approach....

I am sure they will not drop the titles all together. But I suppose it means that if a dignitary wants to refer to them in a more informal way they can. I would say that after the tour of two months ago it is healthy that they reflect on much needed changes. I am not sure if they can implement many of them any time soon. For now the Duke has to wait for his nonagenarian grandmother and his septuagenerian father's will and ability to update the institution and may only inherit the crown when he has passed retirement age.

Last edited:
IIRC, when he did podcast with Peter Crouch he was asked how they should address him and he answered with "William". Few years prior when he joined a BBC Radio 1 broadcast, the host also addressed him by "William". The "call me William" thing is not new. If it's about dignitaries stuff, did the world leaders he met during COP all had to address him by "your royal highness"? I doubt it's an enforced protocol. I mean, even in republic the president is introduced by "His/Her Excellency President XX" in formal event instead of by name only without honorific so I'm a bit confused with this "just William" thing.

There's some media narrative change happening here. Five years ago the narrative was that William was a reluctant future king, workshy, avoiding his royal duty with his piloting. Now he's so eager to seize power overstepping his grandmother and father with his plan from cleaning up palace staff, ditching the never-explain policy and whatever other palace protocols, not to mention wagging war with his brother and the York branch. In between, just 2 years ago he was the best thing that ever happen in the monarchy. Well, whatever to sell papers ....

This may have already been posted, but I would love to know opinions on this article? Given it is the Daily Mail, is it even true? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nt-known-names-NOT-titles.html?login#comments

I think you missed the fourth paragraph of the article. :flowers: It is stated there that it is the Mirror's story, not the Daily Mail's.

For all that it is mocked as "the Daily Fail", one aspect where the Mail Online is superior to many other clickbait websites is that when reporting on a story from another website or organization, it normally credits the actual source and even gives the link to the original article if it is online. It did exactly that in their article about the Mirror's report:

"A royal source told the Mirror [...]"​

I am sure they will not drop the titles all together. But I suppose it means that if a dignitary wants to refer to them in a more informal way they can. I would say that after the tour of two months ago it is healthy that they reflect on much needed changes. I am not sure if they can implement many of them any time soon. For now the Duke has to wait for his nonagenarian grandmother and his septuagenerian father's will and ability to update the institution and may only inherit the crown when he has passed retirement age.

I agree. Like Marengo I don't believe that their styles and titles are going to completely disappear. It will still continue to be used in the Court Circular and in their official communications. We know that bowing and curtsying have been optional for many years now. So I presume that the Cambridges are just making it known that if people choose to forgo using "Your Royal Highness," "Sir/Ma'am" when addressing them and just use their first names, they won't object.

From what I recall over the years, both Prince William and Prince Harry have made it known to interviewers that they don't need to address them in the formal manner. They both seem to be more relaxed about using their first names.

Calling them by their first names to appear to be more common is, IMO, adding salt to a wound, especially when they live in such a privileged manner that the ordinary person will never see or have. Somehow continental European Royal Houses have managed to modernise with great success, yet the BRF seem to not grasp how to bring the Royal Institution into the 21st Century.

If, and this is a BIG if, the article rings some truth, I hope William and Catherine rethink this approach....

I agree. I am an American so, obviously, I don't have a vote in this, but from the outside looking in, if I were paying taxes that went to the Royal Family, I would want the show that comes with it. I would want the pageantry, pomp, and circumstance. I would not want to pay for people trying to be "just like me" to live in palaces. I kind of think that "you are either in or you are out" applies here. If you are going to live in a palace and are duke, duchess, prince, etc, then don't try to hide it. Those titles are evidence that they are Royal. Even though I am American, I don't view curtseying and bowing as saying someone is better than you. I think of it as a traditional sign of respect to members of the Royal Family for their heritage and service. But, that is just me. I really hope it was just a slow news day when that was posted. I really do like the modernization in how the younger members of the Royal Family are more relaxed and touchable in their approach, but I do understand that is a generational thing. That picture from Scotland today of the elderly man hugging Prince William just touched my heart so much. I have a huge respect for the British Royal Family and would really hate to see all the old traditions die when the Queen sadly passes.

Last edited:
I was recently in Jordan on holiday and whilst staying overnight in the desert in Wadi Rum the local guides mentioned that William and Kate and the children had spent some of their Jordanian holiday in Wadi Rum - probably where the Christmas card picture was taken

:previous: Hope that you had a wonderful trip Princess of Europe.

I am not sure if this is the right thread for my comment.
But I just want to say that I am really looking forward to seeing what Catherine will wear for the Top Gun premiere Thursday night.
I live ten hours ahead of London so I won't get to see the arrivals until Friday morning my time.
I don't see how she can top the beautiful gold gown worn to James Bond.

I agree. I am an American so, obviously, I don't have a vote in this, but from the outside looking in, if I were paying taxes that went to the Royal Family, I would want the show that comes with it. I would want the pageantry, pomp, and circumstance. I would not want to pay for people trying to be "just like me" to live in palaces. I kind of think that "you are either in or you are out" applies here. If you are going to live in a palace and are duke, duchess, prince, etc, then don't try to hide it. Those titles are evidence that they are Royal. Even though I am American, I don't view curtseying and bowing as saying someone is better than you. I think of it as a traditional sign of respect to members of the Royal Family for their heritage and service. But, that is just me. I really hope it was just a slow news day when that was posted. I really do like the modernization in how the younger members of the Royal Family are more relaxed and touchable in their approach, but I do understand that is a generational thing. That picture from Scotland today of the elderly man hugging Prince William just touched my heart so much. I have a huge respect for the British Royal Family and would really hate to see all the old traditions die when the Queen sadly passes.

but surely things like William hugging an old man is part of the relaxation and modernization?

"For the first time, the Duke of Cambridge will appear alone on an official coin struck by the Royal Mint.
The £5 coin is being unveiled ahead of Prince William’s 40th birthday on 21st June."

"The coin features the number 40 and Prince William's royal cypher - his initial W. Alongside the £5 coin, there will be a limited-edition 5oz gold coin released before June 21, the Royal Mint said"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...et-feature-new-5-coin-mark-40th-birthday.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom