Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw nothing wrong with the dress. She's 28, dressing like anyone her age. If she wore something high-necked, Catherine would've been criticized anyway. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Hat a great news!:clap::clap::clap:
Congratulations to them, and to both families. They make a beautiful couple :flowers:
Kate looked so lovely today, I love the blue dress, and how nice that William gave her his mother´s ring, it´s so beautiful.

Instead of being superstitious and never looking at it again, Wills seems to have breathed new life and love into his mum's ring. I think it's a lovely sentiment and if Kate has no problem with having Diana's ring as hers, then we shouldn't either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its beautiful that he gave Kate his mother's ring. The poor guy wishes his mother could be here to join in the celebration and this is William's way of doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to think positively. I am certain that the engagement ring will become a treasured family heirloom and one day William and Catherine's son will be able to give it to his fiancee. :wub:

I just watched and (mostly) listened the BBC full interview with William and Catherine. First, why did the interviewer address William as just "William" and not "Your Royal Highness?" Second, William made some comment, when talking about the length of their relationship, that he had learned from experience that taking time to adapt to royal life was important. That was a reference to his parents' marriage, right?

Camila's comment, in part, was that the engagement was "wicked." I am not familiar with the use of "wicked" in this context. Can anyone translate? Thanks.

Camilla was attending an event at theater where the musical "Wicked" was playing when she was asked about the engagement. I think that's why she chose to use that word.

Camilla was attending an event at theater where the musical "Wicked" was playing when she was asked about the engagement. I think that's why she chose to use that word.

Haha! I knew she was at the theatre, but I didn't know it was "Wicked"...awesome! :lol:

Best Wishes

So happy for them. Just finished watching the interview on the BBC website and they see so genuinely happy and in love. Nice to see Diana's ring again. Hard to believe William is so grown up now. I still have the newspaper article from Fall of 1981 when it was announced Diana was pregnant!

Congrats for the happy couple i am so excited!!!Another Royal wedding next year!!!!

Congratulations to William and Catherine :flowers:

I liked Catherine's dress. I think she looked better and definitely more age appropriate than Diana did in 1981. Diana's suit was a beautiful color but that high collared shirt aged her well beyond her 19 years. Diana didn't really become a savvy dresser until later, basically when she reached Catherine's age.

I think Kate looked lovely, and given that it was her first interview, she did remarkably well. They seemed so happy, and so comfortable with each other. I also think it's a nice gesture that he gave her his mother's engagement ring; as he said, it's his way of involving his mother. I think it will remind everyone who sees Kate of Diana.

I agree with Diana's ex-secretary....Kate better sign a rock solid pre-nup.

I feel as happy as a Lark and I am singing like a Humming bird for William and Kate, through all the jollyfication I have shed a tear for Princess Diana.

Finally! Eight years is definitely long enough to get to know one another! Congratulations to the happy couple. The news really brightened up my day. :rainbow::crown6:

I just watched and (mostly) listened the BBC full interview with William and Catherine. First, why did the interviewer address William as just "William" and not "Your Royal Highness?" Second, William made some comment, when talking about the length of their relationship, that he had learned from experience that taking time to adapt to royal life was important. That was a reference to his parents' marriage, right?

Camila's comment, in part, was that the engagement was "wicked." I am not familiar with the use of "wicked" in this context. Can anyone translate? Thanks.

Yes he was referring to Charles and Diana...I was surprised that he said that and it's lovely to see that he would've released her if she didn't agree with that sort of life....whereas Diana didn't really get that chance. Will gave Kate room to wiggle.

Camilla needs to call herself wicked for all the things she's done.
I think it's rude and uncool to say that...even if she means it with the best of intentions.

From what I gathered, it seemed like Will knew the interviewer personally. So maybe that's why he felt comfortable calling him William...this interview was very relaxed.

I hope they name their first daughter Diana.

Oh goodness I hope not! The poor girl will be compared to her grandmother...i think Will and Kate need to make their own family. They need their own fresh start. They could give Diana as a middle name...that would be nice.

Agree on Diana as a middle name, but please, never as a first one!

Let's get back on topic...the wedding suggestions and musings of Wililam and Catherine.

Its a bit early to talk about baby names.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I heard on US TV that the wedding date is June 27. Kate Nichols told that date when she was talking about the engagement. Ms Nichols was will Catherine Middleton this afternoon.:flowers:

Well, congratulations to the happy couple! I wish them a happy future together. I'm not fond of Kate, but I'm open to see how she evolves in her new role. She's probably a lovely young woman, but I'm a little disappointed that even in these modern times that Kate had to wait for prince (charming) to put a ring on her finger. Nothing wrong with making a choice to be with her man, but I wished she could have had an enriching work experience and show some independence in those however many years, but alas. Congrats to them again!

I am surprised they are finally engaged. I wish them both well and hope they will be happy. I loved Kate's dress, it was so classic.

My opinion of her did improve after the interview. She seems sweet and honest. And William as always was so cute, he couldn't stop grinning. I have a real fondness for the history of the BRF and I hope that these two will keep the traditions and legacies alive for us.

I have always thought Kate was a good choice for William - able to bring him into more contact with 'real people'. (Going to Eton is not really the best way to understand your future subjects!!).

She was obviously inhibited in her first interview - not wanting to say something that the media could twist. You could see her weighing up every word, and trying to say appropriate but bland things. I thought William might have helped her out a bit more, perhaps.

I was surprised that she did not actually meet the Queen until Peter and Autumn's wedding. Oh, a person queried on an earlier posting whether William would have needed the Queen's and/or the Government's approval. If the marriage is to be considered dynastic, I believe the Queen has to give her approval. I think this goes back some 200 years, when a lot of princes were running off and marrying 'unsuitable' women!

Anyway, I wish them every happiness for the future. I hope Kate finds her own way of doing things - and that the media stop trying to turn he into Diana.

I think it is great to have the ring that was Diana's. It means that he really loves her so much...she looks amazing.

Congratulations to William and Kate. I think they make a lovely couple and over the years Kate has more than proven that she has what it takes to be William's wife. And William couldn't have done more to show his love and respect for Kate (and his mother) than by giving her Diana's engagement ring. What a loud and clear statement!

I only wish Diana was here to cheer them on and give Kate a guiding hand.

I'm with the majority: I think that Catherine looked wonderful and seemed very relaxed and happy, smiling throughout. For her first encounter with the press she did remarkably well. I thought her dress just gorgeous and eminently suitable for the occasion. (It will certainly put her London-based, Brazilian designer on the map.) As for the ring - many families hand down engagement rings. To me, it's a warm and respectful gesture, and I'm confident that Catherine wouldn't be wearing it unless she chose to do so.

To say that Catherine looked like Diana after Charles said 'whatever in love means', unenthusiastic and unhappy, is a misinterpretation, in my opinion. Much nonsense has been made of the Prince's words: however, they were said with a wide smile on his part and the response was a smile and a giggle on hers. Check the tape - it's on YOU TUBE. In my view, they were merely a little embarrassed by such a corny question.

The spirit of the day is one of congratulations and goodwill towards Prince William and Catherine. I can't see that it's appropriate to try to put a damp squib on this happy occasion by ascribing fanciful and imagined responses to an obviously delighted and contented couple. Catherine has been afforded ample time to decide whether she can accept the prince and his way of life and all that that entails, and he, with what one presumes is the pick of many of the young women of the world, has decided that she's the one who suits him, admirably. That's all which we have any right to know. Needless and incorrect speculation is unnecessary.

I just rewatched the interview and I think that when asked about their split, William said something along the lines of, "don't believe everything you read in the press" then proceeded to say they split while at university? Did I mis-hear that? Perhaps their 2007 split was just to give them privacy.

I think they are relieved to finally be able to say that they are getting married and end all the speculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom