Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Charles can pay for Catherine's hair, I'm sure he can pay to furnish their house.
William has a sizeable fortune, and they seem to be a somewhat modern couple who might want to furnish their home, their own way.

As HMtQ has never given an interview and PC gives very few and none where such matters were discussed - I never give any of these issues much thought beyond accepting that everything is speculation.

One presumes that William, as eventual Monarch (and Catherine, by extension, as Queen Consort) is encouraged to gradually and reasonably grow into his role and his home and possessions are a direct reflection of the Monarchy itself.

I'm sure William & Catherine will do their own thing with their Kensington Palace apartment but I think if the Queen wanted to give them something to help decorate their new home, I really don't see them turning her down.

I read somewhere that Catherine liked more modern decor. Maybe the publicly used rooms will be more ornate and their private quarters more modern. They will be doing a lot of public functions.

In the future, William and Kate will be based primarily out of their apartment at KP so I do imagine that they will have areas that will be for formal entertaining and such. Perhaps Kate will even choose some of the furnishings that Margaret used and have them recovered or renovated. She most likely is going to really enjoy putting this home together for William and their future children. Can you imagine her glee picking out things for a nursery? I sure can.

Its nice that as a family, William, Harry and Kate will be based out of KP. I can see Uncle Harry bopping over from Nottingham Cottage for weekend afternoon football game and romping in the gardens with his future nieces and nephews and eventually when he does have his own family, they all will remain close. I'm sure both boys have some wonderful memories growing up at KP and in a sense, moving back there is like going home.

I wouldn't be surprised either if after all is said and done and the move to KP is in the past, Will and Kate buy themselves a remote cottage in Wales just to have quiet weekends away. I do think its a special area for them.

I wonder if Harry will keep following Will & Kate. He gets their KP cottage once the Cambridges move into 1A. When Charles becomes King, William and Kate would probably go to Clarence House. Does Harry take over their KP apartment since Nottingham cottage is small?

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, so it becomes William's when he's the Duke. Charles has a house in Wales now. I don't if it his or the Duchy's, but it would make sense for William as Prince of Wales to spend time in Wales.

I wonder if Harry will keep following Will & Kate. He gets their KP cottage once the Cambridges move into 1A. When Charles becomes King, William and Kate would probably go to Clarence House. Does Harry take over their KP apartment since Nottingham cottage is small?

One thing I can almost bet my last doughnut on is these two brothers are going to always be extremely close to one another. As you said, Nottingham is a relatively small place and I imagine should Harry marry and start a family of his own, they'll also need a larger place.

It wouldn't surprise me when Charles becomes King, William and Kate remain at KP. I think Clarence House has a special meaning for Charles as it was the residence of his beloved grandmother. I can see Charles still using Highgrove as his country home after ascending the throne. He's put so much work into it and its almost like a badge of pride for him. He's not going to let it go easily.

The house in Wales, which can be rented as a holiday let, is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. I don't think it's really the kind of place in which the royals would spend more than a week or two.

I have to say, I think Charles will find it very difficult to leave Highgrove. I wonder if he might continue to rent it from the Duchy when he's King? It just seems like it's the house that's more 'him' than any other, if you know what I mean.

I suppose then it would be a matter of where the new Prince of Wales goes for his country retreat? Maybe Sandringham or one of the houses on its estate?

One thing I can almost bet my last doughnut on is these two brothers are going to always be extremely close to one another. As you said, Nottingham is a relatively small place and I imagine should Harry marry and start a family of his own, they'll also need a larger place.

It wouldn't surprise me when Charles becomes King, William and Kate remain at KP. I think Clarence House has a special meaning for Charles as it was the residence of his beloved grandmother. I can see Charles still using Highgrove as his country home after ascending the throne. He's put so much work into it and its almost like a badge of pride for him. He's not going to let it go easily.

I rememeber a while back there was talk about one of the larger private apts at KP being vacated by someone pretty high up in the POWs staff (former secretary maybe?) They said it was a very grand apt and that his replacement would not be given room and board with the position. there was speculation that apt was a possibility for Harry - I assumed after he was married.

sorry a little fuzzy on the details, perhaps someone else can fill in

Isn't The Queen giving William and Catherine a house on the Sandringham estate to use as their country getaway?

I believe it was a 30th birthday present for William. I think Sandringham is a bit far as a weekend getaway location. But the gift makes sense given that there are quite a few buildings on the estate and the main house is not that large. Over the holidays it was getting very crowded.

Isn't The Queen giving William and Catherine a house on the Sandringham estate to use as their country getaway?

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall it wasn't too long ago either too that this was mentioned in the press. This country "getaway" was no small piles of potatoes either. :D

I'm going to assume then that Charles does plan on following traditions and the family will still gather at Sandringham for the Christmas holidays, Balmoral in the summers and Windsor Castle at Easter time. Perhaps also when Charles is King, he'll reside at Balmoral and William and Kate will have Birkhall?

This discussion is beginning to remind me of that song in Camelot- "What do the Simple Folk Do?"

"They sit around and wonder what royal folk would do
And that's what simple folk do."

It's fun to speculate on other people's country houses and palaces!

I believe it was a 30th birthday present for William. I think Sandringham is a bit far as a weekend getaway location. But the gift makes sense given that there are quite a few buildings on the estate and the main house is not that large. Over the holidays it was getting very crowded.

Not that far really. Depending on traffic getting out of London you should be able to drive there in under 2 hours.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, so it becomes William's when he's the Duke. Charles has a house in Wales now. I don't if it his or the Duchy's, but it would make sense for William as Prince of Wales to spend time in Wales.

It has been made known that Kensington Palace will be the Cambridges perminate official residence. So I think even when Charles comes to the throne, William & Catherine will remain at Kensington Palace.

What a nice article and oh so true. Catherine has been a very strong figure for William and I think it is wonderful. She held herself up during the whole nude thing and quite well. She is quite the young woman and it is great to know that William doesnt have to babysit or hold her hand all the time. I know she was born for this.

What a nice article and oh so true. Catherine has been a very strong figure for William and I think it is wonderful. She held herself up during the whole nude thing and quite well. She is quite the young woman and it is great to know that William doesnt have to babysit or hold her hand all the time. I know she was born for this.

Well said :flowers:. Catherine's definitely one of a kind.

I know there are some members of the media that actually call her The Duchess of Cambridge. I know most members of the media know her by the name 'Kate Middleton' but I think it is very important for them to at least make it known to the viewers that she's now HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. I think that way it will give the public, especially here in America, a chance to get used to her royal title and status. I think if they keep calling her 'Kate Middleton' the public will never understand who is The Duchess of Cambridge.

I think if they keep calling her 'Kate Middleton' the public will never understand who is The Duchess of Cambridge.

I don't think the public really care. Unless you have an interest in royals, it doesn't really matter. I've always seen her referred to as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge in loads of articles which is the title she would have if she divorced William. Camilla is still known by her first married name, not even her maiden name. It's not going to change, Sophie's the only one who's managed to shed her maiden name.

I don't know, I just kinda get irritated when members of the US media continue to call her 'Kate Middleton' because she is married now and her status has changed. It may take a few years for her title to kick in within the media. As it did for Sophie, although the US media pretty much pay no attention to the Countess of Wessex.

During Sophie's recent trips to Gibraltar and Canada she was called Sophie Rhys Jones. What bothers me more is Princess Kate or Princess Sophie.

Well, they are Princesses of the United Kingdom though marriage.

Molly2101 said:
During Sophie's recent trips to Gibraltar and Canada she was called Sophie Rhys Jones. What bothers me more is Princess Kate or Princess Sophie.

I just get irritated when people are not referred to properly by the press. The members of general public that don't follow royals get their information from various news sources, and don't bother to check the facts. Hence why Sophie, Camila and Catherine are known by their maiden names even after their respective marriages.

Molly2101 said:

I totally agree!! They are married women, so why refer to them by their maiden names?? Plus they have proper titles, just use them instead of making up a title!!!

I totally agree!! They are married women, so why refer to them by their maiden names?? Plus they have proper titles, just use them instead of making up a title!!!

I agree. I think the media and others should refer to Catherine, Camilla and Sophie by their official titles.

That's true, but "Princess" isn't part of their official names. If William didn't have a dukedom, Catherine would be Princess William and not Princess Kate.

Well, they are Princesses of the United Kingdom though marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom